FOUR

Megan’s eyes light up as the bright lights of Nashville lit up against the dark backdrop of the sky. There was just something about Nashville. William slowed down instinctively, his body already starting to tighten as the events of that faithful night flooded his memory. He was going to be a good boy, if not for himself, for Megan.
He had promised her.

They pulled up to the Hyatt Regency hotel and pull up in the large circular driveway. William parked the old, black Firebird and hoped out, grabbing the beat up duffel bag that held he and Megan’s belongings. They linked hands as William spoke to the valet, and they made their way slowly into the high end hotel.

“Welcome to the Hyatt Regency, how can I can I help you?” The front desk clerk said as they lumbered up to her.

“We’re wondering if you have any rooms available for the weekend ma’me.” William stated, his southern drawl playing against Megan’s ears, making her smile.

The clerk’s nails clicked against the keys of her keyboard as she checked the availability, “We have one suite available until Tuesday, would you like that room sir?”

William glanced at Megan as her smile widened, “Yes we would, the name is William Rast, R-A-S-T.”

“Okie dokie,” They clerk said, taping furiously at the keyboard, “The rate of the room is $537 dollars a night. Would you like to pay up front now or when you check out?”

William shifted uncomfortably and cleared his throat. Megan noted the change in his demeanor and quickly dug through her purse, throwing her light blue debit card on the desk, “We’ll pay up front please.”

A few minutes later and in complete silence, William and Megan opened the door to their suite on the 34th floor. William dropped the bag as Megan walked further into the room, falling back on the bed and letting out a deep sigh. She propped herself up on her elbows and watched William move about the room. He only paced that way when something was bothering him and she knew William better than she knew herself.

When a person is arrested for theft, their bank accounts are wiped clean. Their assets are frozen to all friends and family members and eventually sold off to strangers. When William was released earlier that day, they handed him 200 dollars and sent him off into the world. The big, bad, William Rast had 200 dollars to his name and not only did that bother him, it embarrassed him.

“You just want to stay in tonight baby? I’m kinda tired.” Megan called from her spot on the bed, trying to defuse the situation.

“What? Oh yeah, that’s fine.” He replied, not looking up from her as he removed his shirt and watch.

It grew silent again as Megan began to disrobe herself, stripping down to her black, lace bra and panty set and then throwing on an old, white t shirt. She slowly got into the large bed, gripping the sheets in her hands and leaning against the headboard as she waited for him to join her. She watched carefully as he shed his pants and wife beater. He clicked off the lights and crawled in beside her, grabbing the TV remote from the nightstand beside him.

Megan relaxed next to him and laid down, resting her head on his chest and shoving one hand between his back and the mattress, “You don’t have to worry.” She whispered after a few minutes.

“What are you talking about girl?”

She contemplated her words carefully, for fear of making him angry, “I’ve been workin’ with Sherry, down at the salon and I’ve saved up baby, almost ten thousand dollars since you’ve been gone. I can take care of us until you find a job.”

Her breath hitched in her throat when he slid out from under her and flipped on the lamp on the nightstand, “A job? How am I supposed to get a job, huh? I’m a convicted felon Megan.”

“I know that,” She breathed lightly, sitting up, “I’m just saying that you don’t have to worry because they took all of your money, we’ll be okay for a while.”

He chuckled sarcastically and glared at her, “You can’t live on ten thousand dollars Megan, fuck, we could blow that this weekend if we wanted too.”

“But we won’t. Please don’t get mad William.” She pleaded, gripping the sheets even harder this time.

He stood up and stomped over to the arm chair, where his clothes where hanging. He pulled them on harshly, mumbling to himself as he grabbed his watch and jammed it onto his wrist, “Where are you going?” Megan asked quietly, begging the tears not to spring to her eyes.

“I’m just… I’m going out for a while. I gotta clear my head.”

Megan slinked out from underneath the sheets and walked over to him, “Just stay babe, okay? I don’t want you to-“

“You don’t want me to want?” William said lowly, whirling around and glaring at her with his now dark eyes, “You don’t want me to go out and rob anybody? Huh? You don’t want me to break into any place while I’m out? Because I just can’t control myself, right? Is that it?!”

“No!” She screamed, “It’s late, I don’t want you to get hurt! Why are being like this?”

He ignored her and grabbed the door key from the dresser, not making another glance in her direction. When the door clicked closed, Megan wrapped her arms around her small body and carried herself back to the large bed. She flipped off that lamp and snuggled against the pillows, letting out a sigh as she eyes focused on the window on the opposite wall.

And then she prayed.

{{------------}}


William stopped and glanced from right to left as the cool Tennessee night air whipped around his body. He readjusted his light jacket around his torso and began walking again, his mind racing all the while. He couldn’t believe that he hadn’t even thought about their money situation, this was all new to him. You know, being… poor. Those fucking bastards took every cent he had and then they had the nerve to give him 200 dollars after he served his time.

And he hated the thought of Megan having to slave away for old ass Sherry in that Podunk salon in town. He always told her that he’d take care of her, how was he supposed to do that with 200 dollars? How was he going to have any pride while his girl was paying his way? The anger started to build up in him again as he continued to walk deeper into the nightlife of Nashville. What in the hell was he going to do?

His mind continued to wonder as he walked up and down the familiar streets. It felt good to be out, breathing in the sweet country air instead of the stale smell of a prison cell. He had forgotten what it felt like to be free. When he came to the strip of bars, he stopped short as the green, neon sign with the four leaf clover flicked on and off. The Irishmen, that was the last bar they went too before they had decided to call it a night all those years ago. That meant that the jewelry store was just around the corner. Instinctively, his feet began to move again and before he knew it, he was staring back into the thick glass window, admiring all of the pretty jewels.

His vision began to tunnel, his throat becoming dry and his mind thumbed through all of his old contacts, just like it had on the night that he first robbed the place. Donnaven would pay top dollar for those necklaces, hell, so would Donnelly brothers. He could get in there again, just as easily as he had before…

But then he stopped himself. He couldn’t do it to Megan again, not again. Not after six years of longing and waiting for him. If he got caught again, it would a third strike for Mr. Rast, that means life in prison. William took a few steps back from the window, blinking his eyes as they started to clear. After a few seconds more, he turned slowly, tore his eyes from the window, and then forced his feet to start moving again.

He was William Rast, he had to figure something out for the two of them. He wondered the bright streets of Nashville for about an hour more before his body began to slow down for sleepiness. He trudged back to the hotel and rode in the elevator in silence, smiling slightly at the other woman as he exited onto his floor. He slipped the door key into the lock, pushing the door open slowly after it unlocked.

The room was pitch black and the only sounds that could be heard were Megan’s rhythmic breaths. William shrugged out of his clothes for the second time that night and tip-toed over to the bed, throwing the covers back and dipping his body onto the mattress. He scooted closer to her warm, sleeping body carefully so he didn’t wake her, and snaked his arms around her tiny frame. He planted a kiss somewhere on the back of her head and then relaxed against her, not wanting to fight the sleep any longer.
He just had to keep himself out of trouble for the next couple of days.

He had to, for Megan.

Incomplete
god gave me style is the author of 19 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 6 members. Members who liked My Name is William Rast also liked 332 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: williamrast southernj