Author's Chapter Notes:
Alittle background  and again comments are my friends.

So, three days ago it was a Friday or was it a Sunday? Oh at this point all I know is, that day was a day I’ll never forget no matter the date or the day of the week. But let start on Monday so you can see what really happened, or well how it happened I guess I should say.

Monday morning, I was in my office or well the make shift office on the second floor of the store I ran. You see I had decided to open my own store and sell handbags and well lately I had been doing more store and management stuff than designing any of the bags that I use to do when I first started the idea and went to school for all of this that I now had, but I digress I was happy it was everything I ever wanted and more, even if I had only opened the store part of it a year ago.

“Nicole, could I ask you something,” I heard whom I assumed was Mike one of my designers and employee’s knock on the door, or well door frame, their was no door.

“Sure come in,” I said smiling when I looked up and indeed saw it was who I thought it was.

“I, you know I love being a designer here and well,” he started to play with his fingers.

“Are you wanting to quit,” I asked him and he shook his head and looked up at me.

“I was wondering if maybe,” he started to say till his voice went soft.

Seeing a portfolio in his hands I placed my hand out to him and said, “let me see them,” and his eyes opened in shock.

“Come on Mike, whatever it is let me see them,” I said and chuckled a bit when he handed his portiflio over like it was his life line and at the moment I’m sure it was.

Opening up I started to look at all the sketches of dresses and clothing he had been doing and I smiled.

“These are, their,” I started to say trying to think of a word for them.

“You don’t have to lie,” he said and I looked up at him and shook my head as I stood up and came over to him.

“Mike, these are fantastic, is this what you want to do,” I asked and saw him nodded softly

“I cant hear you,” I said teasing him a bit.

“Yeah, I well can I tell you my idea,” he asked me.

“I’m all ears,” I said closing his book and holding it on my lap as I sat on my desk.

“You see, I’ve been working for you, for a good year or so and I love making bags but I want a line of my own ya know and well you also sell people’s art here and let them host shows to show their art and sell indie music and put up flyers for them and when they’re gonna have show and stuff. Plus, you give them most of the sellings from what does sell and,” he looked up at me as he took a breath.

“You want me to sell your stuff the same way,” I asked.

“Kinda, I mean I’d give you a bigger precent than you take from them but, I just,” he started to talk fast till I put my hand on his shoulder to stop him.

“Mike, this stuff is great like I said and I would be honored to sell your stuff and give you a name, I mean you’ve done so much for me being a desinger and helping me out, we can disccuss the business side of it later, but I wanna do one thing first before I agree to this,” I said and saw him smile.

“Anything,” he said making me chuckle.

“Whoa there Sparky, don’t just lay it out on the table like that,” I said and he nodded.

“You see well, my boyfriend Tanner is suppose to be taking me out to dinner at the end of the week and he said it was important and well, I want to I guess test run your clothes so to speak,” I said and when he looked at me with confusion I explained.

“Its one thing to make them, its one thing to show them, but it’s a totally other thing if they function if they work well, and I want to see how much creativity and work you can put up with since if you do this, it wont be a one time deal it will be a big part of your life, you ok with making clothes all the time,” I said.

Mike chuckled a bit before he opened his mouth, “I do it anyways most of the clothes you see me in are my own,” he said.

“Really,” I said with surpise re-thinking all the times I had seen him.

Seeing him nod, I smiled but still added, “I still want to do a test run, this is my company ya know,” I said and he nodded.

“I know, I guess I should have expected that I mean you look at all the art outside the shop and listen to all the bands a week or two weeks before you even start the papers to let them sell their stuff here,” Mike said.

“Right, but I do love your stuff so just make me something nice, not too dressy I mean you know me,” I said with a laugh to which he laughed at.

“Totally, I’ll have it done by Thursday,” he said

“Perfect, we can fit it that afternoon and have it ready by Firday right,” I asked him and he nodded.

“Well thank you Mike and I look forward to this, now back to work,” I teased with a wave of my finger to which Mike only shook his head at me knowing I wasn’t too serious about it as he took his portfolio back and down the stairs back to store part of the building.

--

The rest of the work week was pretty much the same I got one bag designed and sent out with a happy customer on the other side of it but other than that I was doing a lot of inventory and fianance, “Stupid yearly tax information,” I said to myself as I read the forms again, and started all the paper work for that month.

“Nick, you busy,” I heard Mike ask as he came in with a garment bag.

“Is it Thursday all ready,” I asked him and he only nodded.

“Damn where has the week gone,” I laughed as he handed me the bag.

“Just one thing, be honest if you hate tell me,” he said and I stopped as I went to go down to the bathroom to change.

Turning around I looked at him.

“Mike, show some pride man your stuff is great I wouldn’t even think about selling it or trying this on if it wasn’t,” I said as I wiggled the garment bag and headed down the stairs.

Pulling the top over my head I tightened the halter like strap in the back over my shoulders placing the button through the whole and played with the collar as I pulled the pants up and buttoned them.

The shirt was like a business collared shirt with out the sleeves and it was more low cut than any bussines but well mine would allow. It was a rich dark plum color and had one button in the neck that was actually a star I saw as I moved to look at the outfit in the little bathroom mirror.

The pants were a low rise denim that was flared out at the end the stiching and tailoring on them was amazing though. I thought of the perfect shoes for the outfit that I had at home as I pulled the bag he had also made out of it and smile when I saw the RL cursive logo with a lip print under it. Fingering it I laughed.

“Use one of my line’s bags huh,” I asked softly as I picked up my clothes and went up stairs with them and the garment bag.

“Wow,” I heard and looking over the stairs at Joy one of my main employee’s I smiled, “Mike made it,” I said and she raised her eyebrows in surprise.

“Tell him to make something for me,” she said and I laughed and nodded.

Coming into the office I saw him sitting there on pins and needles as I placed my stuff on my desk.

“Mike, I love this, and using a bag you designed for my line, nice touch,” I laughed.

“Really,” he asked coming over to make sure it fit right and sure enough it did, and there was no need to tailor it at all.

“Yes, Mike you did a fantastic job, you got the measurements and tailoring done right on the first shot and well, I know I said We’d do bussiness in two weeks but lets do it next week since this is so great,” I said with a smile.

“You wanna sell,” he asked and I nodded.

“And I heard Joy wants a outfit too,” I laughed.

“Sweet,” Mike laughed as I saw him relax some what, I pulled out some paper work I had put on file for the art people and music people and handed it to him.

“Fill these out tonight as much as you can and I’ll help you with them and we’ll take out starting your label to sell here some time next week,” I told him.

“Thank you so much,” he stated with a big smile as we shook hands.

“No thank you for giving me this opportunity,” I laughed as I told him to have a good day since he came in on his day off and than went back down stairs to change other clothes to finish the day off, totally looking forward to Friday.

--

Since I had Friday’s off I slept in and got a late brunch before I head out to get dollied up for tonight.

As I sat in the massage chair at the nail salon I remembered what Tanner had told me when he asked me out.

“Nicole we have some important stuff to talk about that I cant keep to myself anymore so Friday is important, don’t be late,” Tanner’s voice had said in my head.

Shoot be late one time and you hear it from him the rest of your life, I said in my head and my freshly waxed eyebrows raised up, “Rest of your life,” I mouthed.

Tanner wouldn’t propose to me, no not tonight. Would he? I questioned as I tried not to squrim while the lady scrubbed my feet, damn being ticklish.

It was about five when I got home while I jumped in the shower real fast and than jumped out putting lotion on my body like I did once a week every Friday night or Saturday depending I turned the radio up as I put mousse in my damn hair and towel dried it as much as I could before I combed it out and than went about setting parts of it in curlers.

Getting dress at least in my underwear I sat down on the toliet seat lid backwards and did my make up in the mirror.

Checking the clock I saw it was almost seven when I was putting my makeup bag back in its drawer under my sink.

I had to be at the resturant at eight and it took thirty minutes to get there.

“Shit, Shit, Shit,” I said as I hopped out of the bathroom stubbing my big to on the door frame and I pulled the clothes Mike had designed for me on and pulled the curlers out of my hair and threw them on the bed as I sat down and slipped on my white wedge peep toe shoes.

Grabbing my bag I stopped to look in the mirror of my closest doors and played with my hair till I heard my room mate and best friends voice.

“You look great, go before your late,” she told me grabbing me and pushing me towards the door.

“Wish me luck and I’ll see ya later tonight,” I said.

“Ya if you don’t get lucky at his place,” she laughed remembering what I had told her what I thought of at the nail salon.

“I’ll text ya if that happens,” I said.

“Ewe, I don’t want to know about you being laid,” She laughed.

“Zoey, you know what I mean,” I laughed.

She smiled and shook her head as she pushed my leather jacket into my hands and pushed me out the door.

“Tonight was a night to remember,” I told myself with a smile as I hopped into my car and drove to the restaraunt and made it there on time and still smiling as I handed my bag to the coat check.

Only thing that made me stop was when I saw Tanner wasn’t alone at the table, my smile faded as I approached them.

“Nicole,” he jumped I guess surprised I had made it on time.

I smiled at him than at the girl who just sat there with a grin on her face.

“We need to talk,” he said as he pulled the chair out of for me.

“You bet we do,” I mumbled as I sat down and looked at him as he took their girls hand in his.

It was than I saw the rock on her hand, blinking I told myself I would not cry as I rolled my neck and looked at Tanner.

“You wanted to talk so talk,” I told him as I waved the waiter away who asked if I wanted anything to drink.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story