Story Notes:

"Everyday
With every worthless word

We get more far away
The distance between us

Makes it so hard to stay
But nothing lasts forever

It hurts but it may be the only way"    

It's strange how one event can completely alter your life. Just when you think it's all smooth sailing...this one thing comes along and throws you for a loop.     

Honestly, I knew the whole thing was inevitable...in fact, I should have been really excited, but I think I was just way too shocked for excitement to take over when it should have.     

We had a routine. Things were simple, and I liked it that way. But this...this changed everything. Questions would have to be answered, plans made...things were going to get even crazier than usual.    

In a way, this shouldn't have been that big of a deal...we all kind of saw it coming, but I don't think you can ever be fully prepared for anything.      

I guess for this to make sense, I need to go back to the beginning...maybe not the actual beginning, because that was 20 some odd years ago and hell...I don't even remember most of it.    

What I do remember though, is that the four of us were together, constantly. I don't have a single memory that doesn't involve those three in some way. They've just always been there.    

Growing up in a ridiculously small town, your childhood friends tend to be your friends for life, whether you like it or not. Luckily, things between the four of us have been mostly good.    

Sure, there's been fights and times I wanted to kill all three of them with my bare hands, but after a day or two the anger faded and it was as if nothing had ever happened.    

We were a team. Always have been.    

I guess all the insanity around us was what kept us together for so long. For some reason, the drastic changes in our lives never really phased us. We faced whatever came our way, together. Divorcing parents. Break ups. School. Jobs.    

Through all the hardships of growing up, I had three amazing people to lean on.         

Even when that curly haired boy decided he was going to be famous, nothing changed. Sure, he was thousands of miles away for months at a time, but the distance never mattered.    

When doofus number two dropped out in the middle of senior year to follow the pop star around the world, nothing changed.    

When I uprooted my entire life in Shelby Forest to go help my best friend mend his broken heart, nothing changed.    

However, when Mr. Timberlake decided to leave the group that had launched him to superstardom, there were a few alterations.     

Trace and I found ourselves with cushy new jobs that allowed us to travel the world, and do whatever we damn well pleased.    

Once Lauren had finished cosmetology school, Justin hired her on as his stylist and the four of us were together again.    

But, there was a turning point, and things were slightly different.     

All our lives, people had tried to warn us about how close we were...the four of us could never stay just friends, that somewhere along the line, there would be more than friendly feelings involved.    

We always blew it off. We'd never let anything like that happen...we were best friends.        

However, all of those people who'd tried to warn us, were right. Feelings did get involved.    

But, it was never awkward or strained. Lauren and Trace's relationship was an almost natural transition. Surprising...but natural.    

They just fit for some reason, and eventually, it was difficult to remember what life was like before they were a couple.     

Finally, Trace took the biggest leap imaginable. I still remember that night clear as day, and I knew immediately that it would change everything.    

As I watched them celebrate their brand new engagement, I was thrilled that two of my favorite people in the world were that insanely happy, but I couldn't ignore the sinking feeling in my stomach.    

Granted, I was positive we'd all still be as close as we'd always been, but things were going to be very different. It wouldn't be long before they were ready to settle down, start their lives together, and eventually start a family.    

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the road is no place for newlyweds or babies.    

The thought of touring without the two of them scared the hell out of me. Justin and Lauren had an amazing understanding of each other when it came to Justin's appearance and I knew it would be next to impossible to replace her.     

Not to mention the fact  that there was absolutely no way I could have handled being Justin's PA, on my own.    

Trace and I had split our duties fifty-fifty. There was just too much work for one person and we had that job down to an art form. How was I going to do it alone or with someone else?    

And of course, there was the issue of breaking up "the group." I'd had all three of them at my side my entire life, how was I going to function if Lauren and Trace weren't around?    

I knew I was going to have to learn to live with it. There was always a small part of me that knew we couldn't stay in our little bubble forever.    

I guess I just wasn't ready for it to change so suddenly.     

Little did I know at the time, my social circle wouldn't be the only thing doing a complete 180.

"Nothing Lasts Forever"-Maroon 5



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story