My stupid mouth
Has got me in trouble
Another social casualty
Score one more for me
How could I forget?
Mama said "think before speaking"
No filter in my head

 

"Morning, Alexandra." Johnny Wright smiles as he strolls into my office, Barry Weiss on his heels.    

"Morning, Johnny, Mr. Weiss." I nod and force what I hope isn't a nervous smile.    

It's been nearly three months since I started at the label, and I can count the times either of these men have set foot in my office, on one hand. Needless to say, having them both here is a little nerve wracking.     

"I'm sure you're wondering why we're here." Johnny slides into a chair and eyes me carefully. "Don't worry, you're not in trouble." He chuckles and I try my best to laugh along with him, but it comes out as more of a snort.    

Leave it to me to make a complete jackass of myself in front of the men who basically control my lively hood. I'd love nothing more than to disappear into thin air right now.     

"We're pulling you off of the Timberlake account." Mr. Weiss says simply and I can almost feel the shock register on my face.     

It's common knowledge now that Justin and I are together, but I thought since I'd stepped down as his PA, that it was a non-issue.     

For the last three months, I haven't really done much work for Justin, outside of scheduling his appearances, interviews, photo shoots and studio time. As far as work goes, we have virtually no contact. Everything I do goes through Trace, and vice versa.  I don't see any real reason to pull me off of Justin's account.     

Unless...Johnny wants me as his assistant full time. When I'm not doing Justin's scheduling, I've been filling in as Johnny's assistant, while his actual assistant is on maternity leave.    

Working for Johnny has been a walk in the park compared to working for Justin. Johnny's a 'do it yourself' kind of guy. So, other than the occasional errand, I've mostly been filing his paperwork, and joining him at meetings every so often.     

This just doesn't make sense.    

"Did I do something wrong?" Both men exchange a look, then laugh quietly. What the hell?    

They're firing me. I just know it.    

"No, Alexandra. It's nothing like that." Johnny says with a smile. This is getting entirely too weird for me. "Based on your performance here, as well as the time you spent working for Justin, we felt a promotion was in order. Now, it's nothing major. A little more high profile than working around the office, and there will definitely be more travel involved.  Our video production team is extremely shorthanded. However, Charlie Walters, who's head of the department, is just asking for an assistant."    

I nod slowly, trying to process everything Johnny's saying. I don't really see the "promotion" aspect of this, after all...I would still be an assistant, but this could be my foot in the door to better things.    

Until three months ago, I had no real intention of moving up in the music industry. With no college behind me, moving up never seemed like much of an option. I figured I'd work for Justin until he got sick of me, or decided to retire, but I never really had any plans for after either of those things actually happened.    But now, I could very well have a fairly promising career in the music industry. Of course, never going to school could hold me back, but maybe with a little luck...my experience will outweigh that fact.     

"It shouldn't be anything too far out of your comfort zone. You'll do his scheduling, accompany him on the video shoots, take care of the paper work...you know the routine." Mr. Weiss smiles, then produces a blue folder and lays it on my desk. "Everything you'll need to know is in here."    

"It won't be a cake walk, but it will be a lot less stressful than working for Justin. Naturally, you will receive a pay increase, any and all flights, and hotel accommodations will be taken care of by the label. If you need some time to think it over, we completely understand. But, we'll need an answer by Monday."    

"I'll do it." The words fly out of my mouth before I even have the chance to think.     

"Great. We'll make the announcement in the morning. Take today to clear out your office, and report to the production department on the fifth floor on Monday." Johnny grins.    

 Both men shake my hand, then leave as quickly as they came.    Normally, I'd be the type to sit down, and really think something like this through. It took me almost two weeks to agree to work for Justin.     

I haven't got the slightest idea why I accepted this so quickly. I mean...I don't know jack shit about music videos, and I've never even heard of Charlie Walters.     

I grab my phone and dial the first number that comes to mind. After two rings, Lauren picks up.    

I run down the entire meeting for her, explaining how the whole thing came virtually out of nowhere, of course...there was some whining involved, on my part.    

Sure, it's an amazing opportunity for me, but I'm not a big fan of change. This is going to completely alter my happy little existence, and I'm not sure I'm going to like it.    

"Well..why did you say yes?"    

"I don't know, Laur." I sigh and rub the bridge of my nose. "Maybe I'm just over reacting..."    

"Probably." She giggles. "But hey...more money...it'll look good on a resume...it sounds good to me."    

"Justin won't be happy." I sigh heavily.

I know I shouldn't let my relationship dictate my life, but I can't ignore Justin, or his feelings. He wasn't too pleased with me when I quit working directly for him, so I'm sure he's going to go completely ape shit when he hears that I won't be working for him at all anymore.    

"He'll get over it. I mean, it's a promotion Al...how could he not be happy? This gives you a chance to better your career, how is that a bad thing? Besides...the album's almost done...he's going to be so damn busy, he'll barely even notice you're gone."    

"Gee, thanks." I mumble and she giggles.    

"You know what I meant. Look...tonight we'll go out to dinner...celebrate...blah, blah, blah. Alright? Be happy about this, Al. It's a good thing."    

I really want to believe her, but I know it's not true.

********************************************  

"Cool. Congratulations." Justin smiles, and plants a kiss on my forehead.    

I'm more than a little surprised by this reaction. I was expecting an explosion. I figured he'd rant and rave for awhile, then call Johnny and demand he take my promotion away. Laid back, nonchalant Justin, was the last thing I expected to see.         

"Do you know anything about this guy?" Trace asks, then downs the rest of his beer.    

"Not a thing."    

"I know of him...I've never seen, or talked to him. He's always managed to send one of his crew on my shoots. I heard he's kind of a dick." Justin shrugs and rubs my knee reassuringly. "He'll love you though."    

"He's probably just some old man who gets off on sending young women out to do his grunt work." Lauren rolls her eyes. "You probably won't even deal with him that much."    

"I don't know...Johnny said I'll be at his side pretty much all the time."     

I hate to admit it, but they're starting to worry me a little. I was really trying to see the positive in all of this, but now...I'm not so sure. What if what Justin's saying is true? What if the guy really is a complete dick, and I end up hating every minute of working for him?     

What if he is some rich, old man, who relies on an assistant to handle everything, while he sits back, raking in the big bucks?     

I know, I sound like a baby, but now I'm getting kind of scared. I mean, I was nervous as all hell to begin with. But now, the fear is taking over. Maybe I should call Johnny, tell him I was wrong in accepting this job, and I'd be more comfortable working out of the label.     

But then again, maybe I'm just being paranoid. Maybe just the idea of a change is freaking me out, and things will actually be fine. I don't want to walk away from something that could potentially be really good for me.    

I had my doubts about Justin, but that seems to have worked just fine. Granted, it's only been a few months, and we've had our battles, but I think we're pretty happy together.     

I never really expected it, but Justin is almost perfect. Maybe it's because we've been friends for so long...but I've never felt with anyone, what I feel with him.        

He knows when to be attentive, and when to back off. He'll do almost anything to make me laugh. But, there's one thing that just absolutely melts my heart.    

It's corny, and not even a big deal...but I swear, it's the cutest thing in the world.     

When we're out together, and run into someone he knows, you can almost see him swell with pride when he introduces me as his girlfriend.    

He gets this little sparkle in his eyes, and you couldn't wipe the grin off of his face, even if you tried. I don't know why...but it just gets me.     

I've tried to tell him a million times, it's the little things like that, that matter the most to me.     

Of course, I'd be lying if I said we have the perfect relationship. We bicker and fight, just like anybody else, but it's ok. At the end of the day, we care about each other, and that's all that matters.     

We aren't tossing the L word around just yet, but I'm sure it's not far off.   

As silly as it sounds, I think the best part of our relationship so far, was telling everyone. Lauren and Trace were the first people we told, and even after years of swearing we'd end up together, they were both fairly shocked.     

I guess even though you know something's bound to happen, it's still kind of a surprise when it actually does.        

Our families were all pretty ecstatic. I can't even count how many times I've heard "I knew this would happen.", over the last three months. Lynn, will still look at us together, smile and shake her head.    

I don't know why, but it's kind of cool to know that everybody is really happy for us.      

"So when do you start?"     

"Monday."     

Justin nods slowly, and diverts his attention back to his food. He isn't really showing any emotion, and I'm having a really hard time reading him. He said he was happy for me, and that I deserved it, but I can't help but think he's not too thrilled about it.    

We spend the rest of our dinner, contemplating exactly what Charlie Walters is like, what kind of menial tasks he'll send me on, and eventually, the talk moves onto Justin's second album, and impending tour.         

From what I've heard so far, the album's going to be incredible. He finally has a chance to show what he's capable of, and I couldn't be happier for him. He achieved major success with Justified, but people still saw him as just another guy from a boyband. With this album, people are going to see just how wrong they were about him, and I can't wait.     

Granted, I know my new job, and his schedule will separate us for extended periods of time, but I think we'll be ok.     

We're both determined to make this work, and since we're both about as stubborn as it gets, I don't think anything will keep us from what we want.

**********************************************************   

I never really understood what people meant when they said they had a case of the Mondays. It always sounded like a stupid expression to me, but after the last hour...I've finally realized exactly what it means.    

I arrived at the label at 6 a.m sharp, made my way to the fifth floor, which looked almost exactly like the eighth floor, where I'd worked before.    

Mr. Weiss wasn't kidding when he explained just how short the production department was.  I counted 15 offices total, eight of which, were completely empty. Naturally, the largest office on the floor, belongs to Mr. Walters, and mine is the much smaller one, directly across the hall from his.        

I guess he doesn't want to have to go too far when he needs to yell at me.    

I searched the entire floor, and didn't find one single person.  I figured maybe I was just early, so I meandered around until seven.    

That was when the receptionist, Wendy, who looked about four days older than God, showed up. She informed me that Mr. Walters was out on a shoot for the day, and I was to meet him there.    

Wendy scrambled around the office, gathering up my access pass, directions to the shoot, and the schedule for the day.     

It took her almost 45 minutes to put everything together, and the fact that she was such a sweet, old lady was the only thing that kept me from snapping, right then and there.    

Finally armed with everything I needed, I left the label.    

And now, here I sit in morning traffic. I'm half tempted to call Johnny and tell him this was a huge mistake.    

It's off to a shitty start already, and I've got a feeling it won't get much better. Maybe this is a sign that I should have stayed on as Justin's PA and just dealt with the hell I would have caught when Johnny found out we were an item.     

Having an irate Johnny Wright scream at me, surely would have been better than this.     

I finally arrive at the address Wendy gave me, and pull into the first empty spot I see. There isn't anything too spectacular about the place. It's a plain, gray, three story building with a fairly large parking lot.  I seriously doubt anyone would give it a second glance, so it's kind of hard to believe this is the location someone would choose to shoot a music video.     

Hell, with my luck, Wendy probably gave me the wrong address.      

I really need to stop making fun of the elderly. I'll probably end up bat shit crazy when I'm 80.    

I make my way inside the building, and am met with the hum of a large fan and loud chatter.  I hear a man call for quiet on the set, and the place goes dead silent.     

A loud, thumping bass kicks in, followed by crashing guitars. Sounds like I'm in the right place.    

I do my best to follow the sound and it isn't long before I see what has to bee almost a hundred people, standing around, watching a band, the lead singer lip synching the words flowing from the speakers.    

I have to be dreaming because there is absolutely no way that I am on a video shoot for Maroon 5.    

Shit this cool never happens to me.    

I know it's stupid to be star struck when I'm dating one of the biggest pop stars in the world, but I don't exactly spend my time rubbing elbows with celebrities.     

Outside of Justin and the people he's worked with, or been close to, I've never really even met anyone famous.     

I try to stay out of the way for awhile, watching everything going on around me.    

When cut is called, the music shuts off and everyone scrambles around to watch the playback.     

The set is designed like some hole in the wall type of bar, and even I can't deny the fact that it looks pretty freakin cool.        

Unfortunately, I don't see any stuffy, old businessmen running around, so I'm assuming my new boss isn't here.     

Just perfect. I may end up strangling someone if I have to drive all the way back to the label to hunt this guy down.     

"M' am...this is a closed set." A guy, who looks to be about my age, is standing in front of me, a fake smile plastered on his face.     

I'm not usually the type to gawk at a man who isn't my boyfriend, but right now...it's next to impossible.     

People have always said women are attracted to "bad boys."   The guys covered in piercing's and tattoos, the ones who will go against everything that's normal and good.        

I never really saw the appeal, but I'm weird like that.    

However, the man standing before me, would be the kind of "bad boy" I'd go for. If I was single, of course.        

He's got the whole "bad ass" thing down to a T. His ripped and frayed jeans are just tight enough, but not too tight to look awkward. His white V-neck T-shirt hangs loosely on him, the sleeves just short enough to show off the Celtic knot tattoo on his left bicep.      

I'd almost guarantee there's a few more tattoos hidden somewhere under that shirt.     

He's a little scruffy, but in a good way.    

Normally, facial hair is a complete turn off for me, there's been times where I've refused to have any physical contact with Justin until he shaved, but it actually looks really good on this guy.     

His hair is spiked in all of the right places, giving him the "rolled out of bed, and woke up gorgeous" look.     

But, I think the thing I find the most attractive about him, are his eyes. There's a playfulness in them, giving the steel blue color a mischievous gleam.     

What the hell am I thinking? I have an incredibly attractive, sweet, wonderful boyfriend at home.     

But it doesn't hurt to look, right?    

I flash him my access pass, and smile. "I actually start working here today. I'm Mr. Walters' new assistant."    

"Oh right...they said to be expecting you." He nods and folds his arms over his chest. "So, you looking forward to this gig?"    

I roll my eyes and laugh bitterly. "I was, until this morning. It's been an absolute nightmare trying to find this guy. I show up at the office, like I was told, and he's nowhere to be found. The receptionist tells me he's supposed to be here, so I drive my ass all the way across town, in morning traffic, no less, and still don't see any sign of him. I'm seriously reconsidering this whole thing."    

"Yeah, I don't blame you." He chuckles and shakes his head. "Have you met him yet?"    

"Nope. I hear he's not too pleasant though."    

He laughs again, and rolls his eyes. "Not too many of the big wigs are. I figured out awhile ago, you just gotta grin and bear it when it comes to this business."    

"No kidding. I'm Ally, by the way." I extend my hand and smile.     

He grasps it, and smirks at me. "Charlie. Charlie Walters."

 

"My Stupid Mouth"-John Mayer



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story