Author's Chapter Notes:
enjoy! reviews are mucho appreciated!

So many people gonna say that they want you,
To try to get you thinking they really care,
But there's nothing like the warmth of the one
Who has put in the time and you know is gonna be there,
Back your border when she knows someone crossed it,
Don't let nobody put you down, who your with
Take the pain of protecting your name,
I'm in love with a girl who knows me better,
Fell for the woman just when I met her,
And she knows how to treat a fella right,
Give me that feeling every night,
I'm in love with a girl

 

"So...I was thinking...instead of some crazy bachelor party, maybe we could just have like a hang out night? Set up a poker table in the den...have the guys over...play cards and bullshit all night. Sound cool?"    

"Yeah, man. If that's what you want."    

"Yeah, I think it is. Getting a stripper and shit just seems so childish." Trace shrugs and continues flipping channels.    

"You are so whipped, dude." I laugh and can't help but shake my head.    

If he'd told me two years ago, that he didn't want a stripper at his bachelor party, I'd have thought he lost his damn mind. Trace has always been the guy looking to have a good time.    

No matter what you were doing, he'd find a way to make it the most insanely awesome thing you'd ever done. He'd stop at nothing to make sure you were having the most random, unexpected night of your life.    

Maybe it's the fact that we're getting older, or that he's getting married in a few months, but he's really mellowed out a lot, over the last couple years. He's hardly even the same guy anymore, but it's cool.            

Everybody has to grow up at some point, and he picked just the right time to do it. I know for a fact that Lauren never would have said yes when he proposed, if he hadn't chilled so much.     

I've only been with Ally a few months, but I can already feel myself calming down a little.  I'm not even remotely close to proposing to her or anything, but it's like I've got this incredibly relaxed feeling when it comes to life in general.        

It's hard to explain, but I guess it's just the feeling of knowing that you've got exactly what you want, and it's not going anywhere.  For the first time in God knows how long, I can actually see the relationship I'm in, having a future.    

Being with her is just so easy, and I think a lot of that is because we've been so close for so long. The first month or so was a little awkward. It took us some time to get used to being together, but we both knew that would happen.         

Once we were able to settle into our relationship, we let our friends and families in on the secret, and it just got easier from there.    

Although, I kind of enjoyed the whole sneaking around thing. Ally wasn't a big fan, but I thought it was pretty hot.     

According to Al, that just makes me a pervert, but whatever. She knows I'm right, even if she won't admit it.    

Honestly, as far as I'm concerned, our only real issue has been her ever changing job status.     

I was pretty pissed when she stepped down as my PA, but I didn't have a choice in the matter. She'd made up her mind, and that was that. She was still doing all of my scheduling, so it wasn't all bad. I could swing past the label pretty much whenever I wanted, just to see her. We could meet for lunch, or whatever. It was actually working fairly well.    

I haven't been able to figure out how I feel about this new job, though. On one hand, it's great that other people are getting to see what she's capable of, but on the other...I really can't stand the fact that she'll be traveling so much. Especially since she'll be with a bunch of people I've never even met.    

And, I really don't like the fact that some old ass man will have my girlfriend there, at his beck and call.     

Is it really that bad, if part of me is hoping she really, really hates it, and quits?    

"When are they coming back, anyway? I'm fuckin starving." Trace looks at me expectantly, like I have any idea what those insane women do together when they leave this house. Lauren was supposed to go meet Ally at the label, they'd pick up dinner, then come home.

Lauren's been gone for over two hours, so obviously, they got sidetracked. Not surprising.   

"How should I know?"    

"I just figured since Ally's never out of your sight for more than 30 seconds, that you'd have a detailed schedule of their day." He laughs and tosses the remote at me, hitting me square in the chest.    

"Oh don't even...how many months did it take to pry you off of Lauren?"    

"Completely different scenario, my friend."     

"Right."    

"I actually need to talk to you about something." Trace sits up a little straighter, and all signs of the joking banter we'd had, are gone.     

When Trace is serious, you know something's up. He's one of those "happy-go-lucky" type people. He can always find the humor in almost any situation. Even when we were kids, he could do it.    

When Ally's dog died, when we were 10, he managed to turn it around so that everyone was laughing about the fact that the damn dog should have died before Ally was even born.     

It's kind of cruel...but that had to be the dumbest animal I'd ever seen. It was inevitable that it'd get hit by a car, eventually.     

"We found a house, man." Trace sighs, and if I didn't know better, I'd swear he was about to cry.     

"Oh yeah? Cool." I nod slowly.         

I knew this was coming. I mean yeah...this is a big ass house, but I didn't expect Lauren and Trace to stay here after the wedding. Hell..I don't even see myself living here, five years from now.     

It's a great house, there's no denying that, but I think the reason I have lived here so long, is the fact that the three of them were here as well.  If Trace and Lauren move out, I really see no point in Ally and I needing a seven bedroom house.    

Honestly, the four of us didn't need it, but it worked out in the long run. With so many rooms, and the massive size, we all had more than enough space.  I've lived in more houses than I even care to count, and a lot of them felt way too crowded, even if I was alone.     

So, naturally, when we decided that the three of them would move in, in order to keep the work aspect of our relationships running smoothly, I went for the biggest house I could find.    

"It's in Memphis." He says grimly, and I kind of feel like somebody just punched me in the gut. "Laur just thinks it'd be better for us in the long run. We all know it'd be a much better place to raise kids, and honestly man...she's hated L.A. from day one. She moved out here for you, but she just isn't cut out to live here."    

I nod, taking in everything he's saying. I get it, I really do.  Lauren's a country girl at heart, always has been. She'd much rather be out milking cows or some shit, than running around in Beverly Hills.     

For awhile, I'd considered basing myself in Tennessee. That way, I'd be much closer to all of my family, and wouldn't have a damn camera shoved in my face everywhere I went. Unfortunately, it just wouldn't work.     

I've gotten way too used to L.A and all the stereotypical bullshit that comes along with it, and running my career out of Memphis, is virtually impossible. Writers and producers aren't too keen on the idea of working in the sticks, and I can't really blame them    

"It's a really great house, though. It's actually just a few blocks away from your mom's."    

"Does Ally know about this?"    

He shakes his head solemnly. "No. We just found out yesterday. Lauren was gonna tell her today."    

That's definitely a good thing. Because, if Ally knew about this, and didn't tell me...I might have to kill her.     

Alright, alright, alright...I probably wouldn't kill her...but there would most likely be a lot of yelling involved.    

"It's not like we're leaving tomorrow man...it'll take forever to get our shit from here to Memphis...plus we'll have to find replacements for you. Johnny said I could head up William Rast from Memphis. Lauren will probably go work in a salon somewhere in town. But trust me...you're still stuck with us for awhile." He cracks a smile and slaps my arm. "Don't be such a girl, dude. You look like you're gonna cry."    

"Kiss my ass." I chuckle, and before I know it, we're back to taking cheap shots at each other, like he'd never made that huge revelation.    

In the back of my mind, I know that everything is changing. I know it has to happen, but that doesn't keep it from sucking any less.    

But, on the bright side...it won't be long before I'm back to work, and I'll hardly even notice the fact that everything has gone to hell.     

Besides, if it weren't for all of these changes, Ally might still be just my best friend, and I can honestly say, that's one change that most definitely didn't suck.

 

****************************************************************    

 

I don't remember falling asleep, and I haven't got the slightest clue how long I've been out, but before I can open my eyes, the distinct smell of coffee brewing hits my nose, and I can be sure of one thing.    

Ally's home.    

I move to get off the couch, but stop when I hear that familiar giggle.         

"So, who was he?" Trace asks between chuckles.     

"It was Charlie!" Lauren shrieks, then erupts into another fit of giggles.     

"Figures, doesn't it? I'm standing there...checking the guy out, and going off about how shitty my morning has been,  and he ends up being my boss." Ally lets out a loud groan.    

They don't know it, but they've got my undivided attention now. I don't know exactly what's going on, but so far, what I'm hearing is making me just a little uneasy.    

"So, you think your boss is hot?" Trace asks, and I can just see him rolling his eyes.     

"Oh I did....for about 30 seconds. When he finally introduced himself, it was just like..eww."    

Before I even realize it, I'm off the couch and practically running for the kitchen. I want every single detail of Ally's first day on the job, and if any of what she says contradicts the conversation I just overhead, there's going to be problems.    

Yeah, I know...eavesdropping is wrong. Blah, blah, blah. It's easy to ignore right and wrong when your girlfriend is just a few feet away, talking about another dude.     

"Hey...you're awake." Ally smiles warmly and stands up from her seat. She crosses the kitchen and gives me a quick kiss, before taking a step back to look me over.    

"Yeah...how'd it go at work?" I ask sleepily.     

Ally rolls her eyes, while Lauren and Trace proceed to laugh their asses off, again. "It was...interesting."    

"Oh yeah?" I prop myself up on the counter, and just wait for her to lie to me.    

Honestly, there's no reason for it. I'm not the overly jealous type, so if she thinks a guy is good looking, or whatever, she can say it. I'd be a damn liar if I said I didn't look at other women.     

As long as it doesn't go beyond looking, I don't see the harm.    

Just the other day, Trace and I were watching X-Men and making some not sp appropriate comments about Halle Berry. Ally was right there, through the whole thing, and laughed it off.  She has to know this would be pretty much the same situation.     

Although, lusting after an actress is completely different than having the hots for your boss.         

"First off...I made a complete jackass of myself in front of the guy..."    

And, she's off. She goes into the fiasco of arriving at the label, like she was told to do, and finding the entire floor empty. She rants about the little old woman, who told her that Mr. Walters had no intention of meeting her at the office.     

The best part though, her tirade on Los Angeles traffic. It's a well known fact that, Ally has a slight case of road rage, and takes any opportunity she gets, to bitch about the way other people drive. Normally, I'd tell her to re-evaluate her own driving habits, but I'm way too fond of my limbs and other body parts.     

"So, anyway...I finally get to the shoot, and this guy kinda tries to kick me out. I tell him I start working there today, and we kind of start talking. Of course, I start bitching about everything...the trip to the label...traffic, tell him how my new boss is supposedly a total prick...the whole nine yards."    

"And, it was him, right?" I can't help but laugh. I mean really...it is pretty damn funny. Leave it to Ally, to constantly let that big mouth get her in trouble.     

"Oh, but that's not the best part." Lauren grins, and sticks her tongue out at Ally. Ah..maybe I will get the complete truth here.    

Ally rolls her eyes, and sighs. "At first, I kinda thought he was cute..but, when I found out he was the cause of my morning from hell, suddenly he wasn't so cute anymore."    

I laugh along with the rest of them, and can't ignore the sense of relief that washes over me. I know, it was stupid to think she'd lie to me. Ally's never given me any reason to doubt, or not trust her, and I don't think she'd start now.     

Maybe it's just me being paranoid. Ally isn't like any of the women I've been with in the past. I need to wake up to the fact that she's not going to play those games with me.  She's way too blunt to ever be deceptive.     

She moves to stand in between my legs, and pouts up at me. "They're laughing at me."    

I grin, and shake my head before planting a kiss on her lips. "You're funny, baby." She slaps my leg playfully, and rolls her eyes.    

"You're mean."     

"You still love me." I grin cheesily at her, and she just shakes her head.     

"Oh Jesus, Laur...let's move out now." Trace starts to make gagging noises, and I quickly flip him off.     

I'm convinced, now more than ever, that even though things are changing, it's going to be ok.     

I have an amazing girlfriend, who I'm fucking crazy about, a career most people would kill for, great friends, and an incredible family.  What more could I want?    

I mean, yeah...it's not all perfect, but  I don't expect it to be.     

As crazy as it sounds....right now, my feelings for Ally are hitting me like a ton of bricks. That four letter word has been floating around in my head, for quite some time, but it never seemed as clear as it does right now.     

I love this girl, more than I ever thought possible. I've thought I was in love before, and even said it. But this...this is almost on another level.     

In a way, I think maybe I've been in love with her, all along. I guess I was just too stupid to realize it. Really, I think it may have been virtually impossible for me not to fall for her, at some point. How could a person not love someone, who's done nothing but support them? How could anyone look at everything she's done for me, and see it all, as just friendly gestures?    

I wish I could have seen it sooner. Maybe if I had, it'd be her and I getting ready to head down the aisle, instead of Lauren and Trace.    

The weirdest thing though...I can see that happening. I mean, it's a ways off...but I can honestly see myself spending the rest of my life with Ally, and it doesn't freak me out in the least.         

Everything around me, could fall apart, but as long as she's there...it'll be alright.  I know, I sound like a complete sap, but realizing you're in love with someone is a pretty cool feeling.     

However, actually telling her is going to be a bit of a challenge.

 

"In Love With A Girl"-Gavin DeGraw



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story