Author's Chapter Notes:
Charlie's POV

I stared at you
From across the room
Until both my eyes were faded
I was in a rush
I was out of luck
Now I'm so glad that I waited
Well you were almost there
Almost mine

They say love ain't fair
But I'm doing fine...
 

 

 

"So, what are you going to do?" My best friend, Shawn, looks at me blankly.     

I set up my shot, and groan when the solid yellow ball bounces off the right corner pocket, and goes sailing back across the table.     

"I don't know." I shrug and gulp down the rest of my beer.    

"She's hot...I say, nail her, then move on to the next one."    

"Yeah. I'll nail my assistant. Brilliant idea." I roll my eyes and make my way to the refrigerator.    

Shawn has been my best friend since college, and sometimes...I have no idea why.    

He has the tendency to fly by the seat of his pants, and acts without thinking. I, however, like to be absolutely sure of what I'm doing. If I know something isn't going to work in my favor, I normally won't bother with it.    

That attitude is what has fueled my career. If I was more careless, there's no way, I'd be where I am today.     

I know a lot of people think I've had to work my ass off to get here, but it's all been fairly simple. The connections I made, during my days as a struggling musician helped, but it all comes down to decision making, and knowing what people want.     

It's my job to make a video, the most amazing thing anyone has ever seen. Believe it or not, the slightest misstep can throw the whole thing off. The wrong lighting, wrong wardrobe, wrong setting, wrong extras, wrong camera angle...they're all small details that could sink the whole project, and I'm there to make sure that doesn't happen.     

It wasn't my first career choice, but I don't have any regrets.    

"Let's look at this logically, alright?" Shawn asks suddenly. "She came running to you, when her pop star boyfriend dumped her. She was a wreck, and you did the whole sensitive guy thing, and listened to her, blah, blah, blah. Then...she takes some time to collect herself, and now she's all on your shit. She wants you, man....make a move."    

"Yeah...I guess I could."    

Now, this is where major decision making comes in. I've made a mental list of the pros and cons for all of this, but I usually end up with an equal amount of each.     

It's getting harder and harder to ignore the fact that I have a pretty intense attraction to my assistant. Anyone can see the girl is gorgeous, but that wasn't the only thing that drew me in.     

She's probably the most genuinely sweet person, I've ever met. She completely throws herself into anything she does, and she's so strong and confident. She knows exactly what she wants for herself, and she's not afraid to go after it. But, I think the biggest thing for me...is her honesty. She's so honest, it's almost painful sometimes, but I love it.     

Most people in L.A will only tell you what they think you want to hear, but she just doesn't care. She is far from being a typical woman.     

For a long time, I fought it off. She was in a serious relationship, and I wasn't about to go after a woman who was taken. Plus, I have a strict policy about not dating my employees.    

But, she could be the exception.    

It didn't take long, before she was running through my mind constantly, and I was using every excuse I could, to call her. I just...I want to be around her.    

It's like, I can't ever get enough of her, and that's a new feeling for me.    

I've never been overly lucky when it comes to women. Sure, I've dated around, but I can't honestly say, I've ever had a serious girlfriend. Most of the time, I was too wrapped up in work to get really involved in something, but really...none of the women I've ever dated, made a lasting impression on me.    

Not one of them, was ever the type of girl, I could see myself taking home to my parents. I couldn't see them fitting in with my friends, and I definitely didn't see any of them being patient with my work schedule.         

So, I stuck with the casual dating thing, and was perfectly ok with that. Atleast until, she came along.    

I like to think I'm a pretty good guy...so, while she was in a relationship, I pushed my feelings to the side, and ignored them. But, when she showed up, on my doorstep, in tears...I couldn't ignore the satisfaction I felt.    

However, I knew there was no way, I could move right on in there. She would need time to pick up the pieces, and I was more than happy to wait for her.  I've been waiting roughly, two months now, and I'm still no closer to an answer, than I was in the beginning.     

I'd like to believe that her actions over the last month or so, have been her way of encouraging me to make a move, but women are impossible to read, so there's no real way to know for sure, unless she comes out and says it.     

Asking her out, would be a huge risk for me.    

Number one, I'm up against a world famous singer, who had more money at 18, than I'll ever see in a lifetime.     

And, they have a history together, that I could never compete with. I don't know much about Justin, other than things I've heard from Ally, or some of the industry folks. I've met him several times since Ally started working for me, but I never really got a feel for him.     

I can't say I like or dislike him. I don't know him, and I can't really judge someone, when I know nothing about them.    

Honestly, everything would be a little bit easier if I could like or dislike him. That way, I could just say, hey...Justin's my bro...not gonna go there. Or, I can't stand Justin...so I'm moving in on his territory.    

But, I don't see myself getting to know Justin Timberlake, anytime soon. 

It's obvious to anyone, that the guy doesn't like me, and I can understand why. If I had Ally, and there was some other guy sniffing around all the time, I'd have a problem with it too.    

Ally's the type of girl, that you don't let get away. I guess it's too bad for Justin, that he doesn't know that.

 

**********************************************    

 

"This just came in." Ally smiles as she enters my office, and lays a folder on my desk. "It's the treatment Justin approved. We just need to hire a director, find a location, and schedule the date."    

"Alright, cool." I nod and flip through the first couple pages. "No extras?"    

"Apparently not. He wants to go with the dancers he's already got for the tour. Which, makes sense, they already know the routine and everything. I'm still waiting for T.I and Timbaland's people to fax over their schedules."    

"Ok...when we get a date, clear Michael's schedule for that entire week. I'll take him on the shoot with me."    

"Oh...alright."    

She looks slightly defeated, and I'm not exactly sure why. I keep getting the vibe that she doesn't want anything to do with Justin...so she should be thrilled that she won't be on the shoot.    

As much as I like Ally, she's confusing the hell out of me. One minute, I'm convinced that my feelings are mutual, but the next...it's very clear, that she's still completely in love with Justin. I really don't know what to do.    

I don't want to be a rebound, but if I have a shot with her, I don't want to miss it.    

"Is that ok?"    

"It doesn't really matter." She shrugs. "I just..I was kind of hoping I'd get to be there. It's the last thing Lauren and Trace are working on, before they move...it's the last time the four of us would get to work together."
    

"Al...if you want to be there, I'll be more than happy to have you. I just didn't want to put you in a bad situation."    

She laughs a little, and rolls her eyes. "It'll be fine. Everything's cool. I appreciate you looking out for me, though."    

"It's nothing." I smile at her. "So...any plans for tonight?"    

"Oh yeah...sitting on the couch, stuffing my face and watching TV. Real exciting stuff." She giggles and shakes her head. "Lauren and Trace have a meeting with the church...Justin's in rehearsals, and our families are all flying in tomorrow...so this is my chill out night."    

"That's too bad. I was going to see if you wanted to grab dinner."    

She looks a little taken aback, but smiles, then nods slowly. "Actually...yeah...I'd like that."    

"Cool. I'll pick you up at eight." She grins again, before leaving my office, and I can't help but smile.    

I did it. I finally did it. I asked her out.     

I have a date with Ally.    

It's strange, but asking her wasn't as difficult as I expected it to be. That's just one more thing, I really like about her. I'm a laid back person to begin with, but she really puts me at ease. When she's around, I'm completely stress and worry free.    

I don't think anybody has ever made me feel that way.     

I just hope my nerves don't decide to kick in, at the last minute. I don't know how I'll come back to work, if I make a fool of myself, in front of her tonight.    

It didn't really occur to me,until now, but what the hell am I going to do about Justin? It's no secret that he's got some major jealousy issues, especially when it comes to Ally.     

I really don't need some crazy pop star on my ass.    

Ya know, the more I hear about him, and the more I think about it...maybe it is pretty easy to dislike someone you don't even know.

 

***********************************************    

 

I check my reflection in the mirror one last time, before grabbing my keys and heading out to my car.    

I decided that casual, is probably the best way to go tonight. There's this Italian place, not far from my apartment, that has the most incredible lasagna, I've ever eaten. It's a fairly nice place, but it's not overly swanky. You can show up in a T-shirt and jeans, and not look or feel out of place.    

I can feel a knot building in my stomach, the closer I get to Ally's, and by the time I pull in the driveway, it's impossible to ignore.     

I've been to this house numerous times, but I still can't get over the size of it. I've seen some pretty damn big houses, but this one, is just massive.     

I climb out of the car, and slowly make my way to the door. I just...I can't quite wrap my head around this yet. If someone had told me four months ago, that I'd be going out with Ally, I probably would have laughed.    

As much as I'm looking forward to this...I have to admit, it is pretty weird. I mean...how many guys can say they've picked a girl up, for a date, from her ex-boyfriends house?    

It's almost comical, when you think about it.    

I finally raise my fist, and knock. It takes a few minutes, before the door swings open, and I'm met with a stone faced Justin Timberlake.    

He rolls his eyes, and without a word, he turns and walks back into the living room, leaving the door standing wide open. I step inside, closing the door behind me, and follow him into the living room. He stretches out on the couch, his eyes never leaving the television.     

"She's still getting ready." He mutters, and I nod.    

I'd kind of been hoping he wasn't going to be here. I knew any encounter with him, would be nothing but awkward, and so far...it looks like I'm right. But, I'm going to be the bigger man, here. I'm not going to be petty and childish, just because we have feelings for the same woman.     

"So...I got the treatment for your video, this afternoon. With the right director, it should be pretty bad ass."    

"Yeah."    

It's dead silent for several minutes, and I'm really trying. I'm trying to be the nice guy. But, I actually understand him. If I was in his position, I'd probably be bitter and pissed off too.     

From everything I've heard, he was and still is, very much in love with Ally. So, I'm sure watching someone else take her out, can't be easy.    

I guess he doesn't realize that competing with him, is no easy feat, either. He knows things about Ally, that I probably never will, even if this does work out.  He's been there, her entire life, and I'm sure there's a bond between them that no one else will ever understand.    

"Got your speech written for the wedding yet?"    

"Yep."    

"That's cool. I was my brothers best man, a couple years ago. It took me forever to write that damn speech."    

"Look...I know what you're doing." He sighs heavily, and finally looks over at me. "You don't need to be overly cool with me and shit to get in good with Ally."    

"I don't need to get in good with her...I'd like to think I'm already there."    

"Maybe you are...maybe you aren't." He shrugs. He stands up and strolls toward the kitchen, but stops and turns to face me again. "And..we may not be together anymore, but she's still my best friend, and if you upset her...I'll fuckin kill you." He smirks, and disappears.    

In a way...I completely expected that. I may be an outsider, but anyone can see just how protective Justin and Trace are, of Ally and Lauren. In their own weird way, the four of them are a family...so it's perfectly understandable.    

"Hey...you ready?"Ally calls as she makes her way down the stairs.     

"Yeah, lets go." I follow her to the door, but stop and look behind me first.     

Justin is leaning against the doorway, arms folded over his chest, staring at me. He's trying to intimidate me, but I'm not backing down without a fight.     

For once...the underdog is going to get the girl, and he's going to have to live with it.    

It's not long before we're seated at a corner table, browsing the menu. I don't know why I'm even bothering to look, I knew what I was getting long before we got here. Ally is completely focused on her menu, and I can't help but laugh at her.    

"You alright?"    

"Oh yeah...I'm fine." She gives me a short nod, and forces a smile. "Me and Justin used to come here a lot."
    

I nod slowly, and return my attention to my menu, doing my best to hide the grimace that I'm sure is taking over my face.    

Figures, doesn't it?    

I thought I'd come up with the perfect first date, and it turns out, I've brought her to a place that's just going to remind her, of him. I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised.     

I know virtually nothing about their friendship, or relationship, but I'd probably be hard pressed to find a place they haven't been together.     

But, I'm not going to let it get to me. I'm not going to worry about Justin, his threats, or their past.     

I'm determined to enjoy tonight, and hopefully, she will too.  

 

**********************************************************    

 

"This was great. Thank you." Ally grins, as I pull into her driveway.    

"It's nothing." I shrug and chuckle nervously.    

Overall, I think it went really well. Even though, Justin did enter our conversation every so often. The best thing about tonight though...I got to see a completely different side of her.    

At work, she's usually so professional, and fairly quiet, but she kind of came out of her shell, and I finally got to see who she really is. Honestly, it just made me like her even more than I already did.     

I don't know what's going to happen, or if this will make work awkward, but I'm so glad I did this. It's been a long time since I've really liked a woman, so it's kind of exciting and nerve wracking at the same time, but in a really good way.    

"Well...I better go." She says quietly, and reaches for the door handle.     

I don't know what possessed me to do it, but before I even realize it, I've grabbed her by the arm, pulled her back into the car and my lips are firmly planted on hers. I can distinctly feel her smile against my mouth, and it's not long before I'm doing the same.    

Every nerve in my body, feels like it's on fire. The only thing I can concentrate on is her, the feel of her mouth, and the way she seems to fit perfectly in my arms.     

After a minute or two, she pulls away from me. She starts to chew on her bottom lip, and there's no hiding the worry in her eyes.     

I think maybe, my feelings are starting to cloud my mind, a bit. I haven't really thought about whether or not she's ready for this, and I don't want to push her into something she can't handle right now. If I had a shot, I could have just completely ruined it.    

"God...Al...I'm so sorry..."    

She smiles and shakes her head, before her mouth crashes against mine, once again.    

On second thought, maybe she is ready.    

We both jump and jerk away from each other, at the sudden sound of a blaring car horn. Ally quickly scrambles out of the car, and after letting out the breath, I've been holding all night, I follow suit.    

"It's Lauren and Trace." She mumbles as we walk down the driveway, toward Trace's truck.    

He smirks and looks between the two of us. "Well, well, well...what do we have here?"    

"We just got back from dinner. How'd the church thing go?"    

"Obviously not as well as dinner." Lauren snickers as she and Trace climb out of the truck.    

Ally rolls her eyes and grabs me by the hand, leading me away from the truck. "Sorry... they're...well...they're special. But anyway...I guess I'll see you in the morning."    

"Yeah. Night, Al." She gives me a small wave, and heads for the door.    

I can't believe how well this turned out. When I picked her up, I was worried that I'd make an idiot of myself, or talk of Justin would dominate the evening, but it couldn't have gone better, even if I'd planned it.    

Except for the fact that I didn't actually tell her how I feel.    

She's almost to the door, and I know, it's now or never. If I don't get this out now, I probably never will.    

"Hey, Al...wait."    

"Yeah?"     

I jog up to the porch and she smiles curiously. "Look...I...I really like you, Ally. And I know I shouldn't, because your my assistant, and I know you're still getting over Justin, but I just...I think we might have something here."    

Her smile falls a little, and she quickly looks down at her feet. I can feel that knot building up in my stomach again, and I have no idea what she's going to say, but I'm sure it won't be good.    

"Charlie..." She sighs and shifts her weight from one foot to the other. "I like you...I really do...and I had a blast tonight, and I'd love to do this again...but I don't want anything serious right now."    

"Hey...I'll be more than happy to wait it out." She finally smiles at me, and this incredible sense of relief washes over me. For her, I think I'd do just about anything.    

"Actually...I need a date for the wedding Sunday."    

"I'll be there."    

"Good. See ya." She grins, gives me a quick kiss, and hurries inside.    

As soon as the door closes, Trace and Lauren start whistling and making cat calls. I can feel the heat rising in my cheeks, and I hang my head as I make my way back to my car.     

I almost feel like I'm in high school again. It's new and exciting, and a little embarrassing...but I couldn't be happier. I've been waiting for this, for months, and getting what you want, is a really good feeling.    

"Y'all are too cute!" Lauren squeals as she walks past me, and pats me on the shoulder, before heading in the house.        

Trace stops in front of me, staring me down for a few minutes, a deep frown set on his face. "Man...you know we're cool, and I really want to be happy for you...but Justin's like my brother and I just...I can't really see Ally with anybody but him. I'm sorry man."    

"It's cool." I shrug. "I know where you're coming from."    

"I mean...there's no hard feelings or anything, but this just doesn't seem right to me."    

"I got ya, man. Anyway...I'll see ya Sunday."     

I get back into my car, crank the engine, and take off. I guess I couldn't expect Trace to be thrilled at the prospect of Ally and I dating. Like he said, Justin's like his brother, and even though we're getting to be pretty good friends,  Justin is always going to come first.    

Unfortunately, I've got a bad feeling he'll always come first for Ally, as well, and nothing I do, or say is going to change that.     

Even though tonight went great, it's all hitting me. Any relationship with Ally, would only be half assed. She'll always be comparing me to Justin, or thinking about him, and I don't think I could stand knowing that.    

I can't be with a girl, who doesn't really want me.     

And...I don't want Ally to settle. She deserves nothing but the best, and obviously... Justin is the best for her.     

I guess it's true. Nice guys really do finish last.

 

 

"Won't Stop"-OneRepublic



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story