It's not over tonight
Just give me one more chance to make it right
I may not make it through the night
I won't go home without you

        

I follow Trace into the house, with the last of the boxes, and toss them in the corner. It's taken us almost two full days, just to get all of their junk inside the house. I never realized it before, but most of what I had at home in L. A, belonged to Lauren or Trace.     

So now, there's a lot more empty space in my house, than there had been. I'm not really complaining, but it's strange to see it so open, after all this time.     

Of course, I won't be seeing it for long. Once the holidays are over, and the new year begins, I'm hitting the road, and there's no telling when I'll be back home.     

With Christmas tomorrow, it won't be long before I'm living out of my suitcases, never quite sure where the hell I am. But, atleast Ally will be there with me.     

I follow Trace into the kitchen, and grab a beer, before we both lean against the counter, and look around. The house isn't something I'd normally go for, but it's kinda cool.    

It's got this old, southern farm feel to it. It's all hardwood floors, except for the bathroom, and the living room. There's about ten small rooms total, the two largest rooms being the living room, and the bedroom upstairs. The dining room, branches off the kitchen, and there's a small hallway, that leads from the kitchen to the living room.     

It sounds kinda weird, but this house is so totally Lauren and Trace. It'll be pretty cool to see it, once all of their furniture is in place, and Lauren gets her decorating done.    

We haven't really done much, other than bring in the boxes. Trace got their bed set up, but plans on leaving everything else until after Christmas.    

Lauren, of course, insisted on putting up the tree, so she and Ally have been working on that for the last hour or so.     

Our families didn't have anything going on until tomorrow morning, so the plan is to hang out here, order some pizza and just chill out for the evening, which we haven't been able to do in God knows how long.    

I honestly can't remember the last time the four of us just hung out. It's like there's always ten tons of other shit going on around us. Unfortunately, this will probably be the last time we get to do something like this, for a really long time.    

The 27th, Ally and I will head back to L. A, and on the second, the tour begins. I'm determined to enjoy the next few days, as much as possible.     

I'm in my hometown, with my best friends, and my family...it doesn't get any better than that. All of the craziness is behind us, Charlie Walters is out of our lives, and things are mostly back to normal.    

The last piece of the puzzle, is Ally and I getting back together. And, I know that's going to happen. It's just going to take some time, and I've got to be patient.  

 

*****************************************************    

 

"It hasn't even started yet, and Johnny's already trying to book a second U.S. leg. It's crazy, ya know? This whole thing just blew up." Ally nods and takes a sip of her beer.    

"Yeah...J...thanks for making us realize, sexy got lost." Trace cackles and rolls his eyes.    

I know he's drunk, but I don't think I'll ever hear the end of that shit. Every interview I've done the last couple months, they all have to ask that same basic question. Where did I have to bring sexy back from?    

It's a song, people. It's really not that deep. Just enjoy the music, and don't over analyze the lyrics.    

"Why aren't you drinking?" I look over at Lauren, and try desperately to change the subject.    

"She's sad...because sexy left." Trace giggles stupidly, and I flip him off.    

"I'm just not in the mood." She shrugs.    

Ally gives her a funny look, and I'm getting the feeling, that something's up. I might have a good buzz, but I haven't reached Trace's level of stupidity, quite yet.    

He pours a shot of Jack, and shoves it in Lauren's face. "Here, get in the mood."    

"Nah. I'm fine. Really." She tries to shove it away, but Trace isn't giving up so easily.    

Normally, he wouldn't care if Lauren drank, or not. But, he's in full on party mode, and just wants everybody to get wasted.  He tries again, and Lauren still refuses. He's getting more and more annoyed with each passing second, and I'm sure it won't be long, before belligerent, drunk Trace makes his first appearance of the evening.    

"Lauren, drink with us." He says more sternly this time.    

"It's late. You should get some sleep." She stands up, and heads to the kitchen, but Trace is right on her heels.    

Their conversation gets heated pretty quick, but I can't make out any of what they're saying.    

Ally picks at imaginary lint on her sweat pants, and looks everywhere, but at me. Whatever's going on...she knows what it is.    

In the two weeks since we shot the video, she's slowly but surely been getting back to her normal self. Her sarcasm is back full force, and she's just in general, more fun to be around.    

It's like, she's put the last few months behind her, and is totally ready to move forward.     

I don't know what the hell Charlie did, or said, but I'm thanking God for it, every day. I haven't heard her utter his name, even once. And, that just cements my belief, that he was the root of all of our problems.    

"So..." I drawl out, and she finally looks over at me. "Ya know...I have no clue where we're supposed to sleep."    

She chuckles and rolls her eyes. "We probably should have thought of that, before we started drinking."    

"Probably." I laugh and shake my head. "We could walk to my mom's. It's only a couple blocks."    

"Oh yeah. I'm sure we won't get frost bit too bad." I roll my eyes, and shove her playfully.    

The cold is one thing, I don't miss about home. Snow and ice can kiss my California loving ass.    

"Then, I guess we sleep on the floor." I shrug.    

"Because I'm pregnant, you idiot!" Lauren's scream seems to echo throughout the house, as Ally and I, both jerk our heads toward the kitchen.    

Lauren's pregnant? Holy hell.     

That was the last thing I was expecting, but a lot of stuff, makes sense now. Lauren's last minute doctors appointment the day of the video shoot, the way she's been avoiding alcohol, and she's been pretty moody the last week or so.    

It explains everything.    

"How far along is she?"    

"About three months." Ally says slowly. "Crazy, huh?"    

"Yeah...that's...wow." I laugh and shake my head. "Ya know...we should probably get out of here, and let them deal with this, alone."    

Ally frowns, but moves to stand up. She wobbles a little, before gaining her balance, then starts to giggle uncontrollably. Looks like she's drunker than I thought.    

This should make the walk to my Mom's, nice and interesting.    

We grab our coats, and head for the door, Lauren and Trace still bickering in the kitchen. I should probably tell them we're leaving, but I don't want to get in the middle of whatever it is, they're talking about.    

Ally and I have been around, for every turning point in their relationship. The night Trace finally made a move, we were there. When Lauren first told him she loved him, we were there. When he proposed, we were there. It's like, we've been right in the middle of every one of their milestones, and I don't know how they put up with it. I have no problem with PDA, or whatever, but some shit needs to stay between you and your significant other. I think it's just more special that way.         

Ally and I step out into the cold, and I immediately pull my coat tighter around myself. The temperature has to be down in the single digits. I swear...I can almost feel icicles growing off my nose.    

I shove my hands in my pockets, and try to convince myself, I'm back home in the sunshine. I'm so not cut out for this winter shit.    

We walk in silence for awhile, Ally trailing behind me, weaving back and forth. She's a pretty goofy drunk. It's like, she loses all control over her body. Half the time, she can barely stand, much less walk.    

As much as it kills me to do so, I slow down, and let her catch up to me. It just wouldn't be right, to let her freeze to death by herself.            

Out of the corner of my eye, I see her slide on a patch of ice, and she latches onto my arm for support. My own feet skid across another patch, and I grab onto her arm, to hold myself up. I just get us steady, when she tries to jerk away from me, in a split second, I'm landing flat on my back, while she tumbles down on top of me.    

Right away, she starts laughing hysterically, but all I can think about is the pain shooting up my leg. I'm almost positive, I twisted my damn ankle.    

"Are...are...are you ok?" She gasps through her giggles.    

"Yeah." I mutter and roll my eyes. "You alright?"
    

"You kinda broke my fall." She giggles and looks down at me.    

She's laying completely on top of me, and I know, if she was sober, she'd already be on her feet.    

I take the time to really look at her, and I don't think I could wipe the smile off of my face, even if I tried.     

I don't know what it is, but she looks absolutely beautiful. Even with snow in her hair, and her cheeks red from the cold, she's gorgeous. Maybe it's just the lights on the houses around us, but there's this soft glow all around her, and her eyes seem brighter than they have in months.    

"I'm so sorry, Justin." She whispers and stares at me, with wide eyes. "I'm sorry I let him come between us. I'm sorry I didn't listen to you. And, I'm so sorry he almost ruined your video."    

"What are you talking about? The video turned out great."    

She shakes her head sadly, and sighs. "He hid the story boards in his office."    

I roll my eyes, and shake my head. I wish I could say I'm surprised. The asshole in me, would love nothing more, than to scream "I told you so", right in her face, but she doesn't deserve that. It isn't her fault.    

Charlie had her convinced that he was a good guy, and I almost hate the fact that I knew he wasn't. I wish I could be as shocked as she was. But, Ally is a little naive when it comes to people. She hasn't had to deal with even half the shit I have, so she's not as cautious as I am, around new people.    

"It's not your fault, Al. Everything turned out ok. Don't worry about it."    

She nods slowly, but still shows no sign of moving. I'm sure if someone could see us right now, they'd think we were on some heavy ass drugs. Who, in their right mind, lays on a sidewalk, in the middle of a snow storm?    

Apparently, we do.    

Unfortunately, the pain in my leg is intensifying, and I'm going to have to move soon. Part of me, really doesn't want too. This is the closest I've been to her in awhile, and I'm not quite ready to let go yet.    

I almost feel like I've stepped back in time, to six months ago, when everything between us was perfect. We could be silly together, nothing was bringing us down. I'd give anything to go back to that.    

"Al...we gotta move. My leg is killing me." I really don't want to do this, but I can't take the pain, or the cold anymore.    

She scrambles to her feet, worry etched all over her face. "Did I hurt you?"    

"No. I'm fine." I grunt, as I hop to my feet, and quickly realize, I can't put any weight on my right leg.    

Shit, shit, shit. Holy Mother of God, that fucking hurts.    

"Don't walk on it." She scolds, and pulls my arm around her shoulders, most of my weight resting on her. We walk that way, the last block and a half to my Mom's, me limping pathetically, and Ally trying to keep us steady.    

How pathetic am I, that a drunk girl has to help me walk?    

As soon as we reach my Mom's, she helps me inside, and to the couch. She instructs me to take off my shoes, then scurries into the kitchen. I hear the ice maker come on, and after a few minutes, she returns, armed with an ice pack, aspirin, and a wrap.    

She sits down on the edge of the coffee table, and gently pulls my foot into her lap. There's some swelling, but no bruising, which is definitely a good sign.    

"You probably sprained it." She says, as she places the ice pack on my ankle.    

I've never seen her play nurse like this, but it's kind of cool to know that she could take care of me, when I really need her too. I guess, I'm just too used to being the provider, or the caregiver, so this is an awesome change of pace for me. I mean, I don't want to be some lazy ass who depends on his girl, to take care of him and shit, but it's a good feeling, when it needs to happen.    

Of course, Ally isn't my girl, and that's not why she's doing this. She's being my best friend. If her, Lauren, or Trace were in my position right now, I'd be doing the same for them.    

Granted, I'd probably go above and beyond the call of duty for Ally.    

"Here, take a couple of these." She tosses the bottle of aspirin to me, and continues to hold the ice pack on my ankle. "I'll keep this on here for a few more minutes, wrap it, then you need to get to bed."    "

Thanks." I smile at her, and she shrugs.     

"It's nothing. You killed my buzz though." I chuckle, and roll my eyes at her.    

"Great way to spend Christmas Eve, huh?"    

"Oh, definitely." She shakes her head and laughs. "You think Lauren and Trace will be ok?"
    

"I don't see why not. I mean...it's what they wanted, eventually. It just came a lot earlier than they planned."    

She nods, and quickly starts to wrap my ankle. Before I know it, some of the pain has subsided, and I feel like I could probably make it to my old bedroom.     

Ally goes out to the hall closet, and returns a second later, with blankets, and a pillow. I can't help but frown at her, and shake my head.    "

Take my bed, Al. I can sleep down here."    

"You're the injured one. I'll be fine. Now, go."    

"You could always sleep with me."    

Her eyes widen a bit, and I'm just waiting for her to launch into a tirade, especially after what happened in Memphis. She'd be well within her rights to bitch me out, too.     

"Ok." She nods, and heads for the steps.    

Well...that's...definitely not what I was expecting.     

If there's one thing I have to learn about her, it's that she's never going to do, or be what I expect. It's like she's bound and determined to constantly surprise the hell out of me, and honestly...I kind of like it.

 

******************************    

 

I plop more mashed potatoes on my plate, grab a beer, and follow Trace into his parents den. This has been one of the best Christmases I've had in a really long time.    

All four families are together, and everyone seems to have forgotten all the nonsense of the last few months. It's perfect.  We've stuck with our usual tradition of breakfast at my Moms, presents at Ally's, early dinner at Trace's, and we'll finish with the big annual part at Lauren's, where pretty much every member of every family will get smashed.    

It's the same routine every year, and even though it's fast paced, and a little crazy at times, I can't imagine spending Christmas, any other way.    

Trace plants himself on the sofa, while I take the leather chair in the corner. I don't know how we managed it, but we've got the den completely to ourselves. Since last night, I've been dying to find out what he thinks about all of this baby stuff, but with fucking up my ankle, and spending the entire night trying to avoid touching Ally while she slept...you could say, I've had other things on my mind.    

I learned my lesson the last time I slept in a bed with Ally, and I've got to say...I'm damn proud of myself. It took amazing restraint on my part, to not reach over and touch her.    

Trace silently digs into his plate, and I'm choosing my words carefully. I know he wants to be a Dad, I'm just not sure he's ready for it so soon. He and Lauren had everything planned out, down to the smallest details.    

Trace is about as laid back as it gets, but he doesn't do so well with sudden changes, and this whole thing could potentially send him over the edge.    

He sets his plate down, and looks over at me curiously. "Alright, I know you want to say something, so just say it. I know it's been like, eating you alive all damn day."    

I chuckle and nod slowly. "How'd it go last night?"    

I figure, I might as well just ask. What's the point in beating around the bush, when he already knows what I want to say?    

"Mostly ok. We fought for awhile." He shrugs and digs back into his turkey.    "

That's all you've got to say? You don't want to talk about this?"
    

"What's there to talk about? I'm gonna have a kid. Talking about my feelings, like a whiney little bitch, doesn't change that."
    

"True. But, aren't you scared man? This is huge. You can't just blow it off."    

"Are you kidding me? Of course I'm scared. I'm fucking terrified! But, Lauren's freaking out enough for the both of us. I've gotta be the grown up, and keep my cool. If she thinks I can't handle this, she'll really flip out, and I want her as calm as possible. I saw some show, on this discovery channel, or some shit, that said if a pregnancy is mostly stress free, the baby will be happy or whatever." He rolls his eyes and sighs.    

I'm really impressed that he's thinking about the future so much. Not to mention the fact, that he's already more worried about Lauren and the baby, than himself. That, to me, is a major accomplishment.    

He could be freaking out, and worrying about how this will affect him, but instead, he's put his thoughts, feelings and fears to the side, to focus on the woman he loves. People really don't give him enough credit.     

Suddenly, I'm seeing my best friend in a whole new light, and surprisingly, this whole Dad thing, really suits him. I'm sure, it's just a matter of time, until he's putting together cribs and changing tables, loving every minute of it.    

I think once he gets past his initial fear, he's going to really step up, and be an amazing Father.    

"Now that you've gotten that over with, how's the ankle?" He smirks, and I hang my head.    

Looks like, as usual, Ally can't keep her big damn mouth shut. I had no intention of talking to anyone about last night. It's a little humiliating for a dancer, to fall and hurt himself on a patch of ice. I should have been able to catch myself, before I got anywhere near hitting the ground.    

"Hurts like a bitch."
    

"I figured." He chuckles. "You've been limping around all day, but I think everybody's been too busy to really notice."    

"It's nothing major. I just twisted it. It'll be fine in a day or two." I shrug.    

"Yeah. Especially with that excellent nurse you've got. I say, milk it for all it's worth, man. If you're lucky, maybe you can talk her into getting one of those hot nurse costumes. I bet you could get into some real kinky shit with that." He laughs, as I throw a pillow, and it smacks him in the face.    

"You're an idiot."    

"Hey...you know I'm right. I bet you're imagining it right now." I shrug, and pretend to be really interested in my dinner.    

Ok, so the little troll is right. As soon as he said it, images of Ally, in one of those white, short, tight dresses, began flashing through my mind. Of course, if it actually got to that point, I'd be much more interested in what's under that dress.    

I shake my head quickly, and roll my eyes. If we're going to be friends for awhile, I have to get my mind out of the gutter. I've got to get serious about straightening this out, and picturing her naked every five damn minutes, definitely isn't serious.    

"You know what's weird?" Trace asks suddenly. "I was really looking forward to not going on tour again, but now...I'm kinda bummed out. This is going to be the biggest thing you've ever done, and I'm going to miss it."    

"Yeah, it's gonna suck." I smile sadly. "But, you know, you and Laur can come to any show you want. We'll still get to hang out and shit."    

"I guess, it's just kind of weird that we'll all be apart, ya know? Like, it's been the four of us against the world, for so long, and it's just fuckin weird, man." He shakes his head and laughs softly. "We sound like the girls, you know."    

"We? More like you. I'm totally cool. I know it's all going to be fine."    

He eyes me skeptically, and arches an eyebrow. "Since when are you so fucking positive?"    

"I don't know, man. I just know it's going to be alright." I shrug, and finish the rest of my beer.    

I really can't explain it, but I know I'm right. Even though everything is kind of upside down, I know it's going to work out.    

Of course, not everybody knows what I've got up my sleeve.    

I probably should have told atleast one of them, but until I made up my mind, I didn't want to add to the stress, everyone was already feeling. 

As much as I hate the cold weather, I absolutely love Tennessee. And, that is why, I've decided to move back.    

Life is just so much easier for me here. There's no cameras following my every move, reporters and fans aren't camping outside my doorstep. People don't gawk at me. The only time I feel like a normal person, is when I'm here.    

The only downside to moving back here, is the effect it would have on my work schedule. Not too many people are very keen on the idea of traveling to the boonies to record, but there are ways around that. I'd have no problem flying back and forth, between Memphis and L. A, or Memphis and New York.    

I'll do whatever I need to, because I know, in the long run, this is going to be the best thing for everyone.    

I'll probably even keep the house in L. A, just to have somewhere to stay when I'm there, but I want my primary home to be here, with my family. I'm just not quite sure how to break the news to anyone, especially Ally.    

I know my parents will be ecstatic. My Mom's wanted me to move back, for years. Lauren and Trace are a non-issue. I know they'll both be thrilled.     

The only person I see being a problem, is Ally.     

She loves California, and I know she can't stand the thought of being stuck in our hometown for the rest of her life, but I also know just how much she misses her family, and a lot of our old friends.    

So, I'm going to use that as my selling point. Hopefully, she'll buy it.  

 

*******************************    

 

I stumble through the hallway of Lauren's parents house, and try to steady myself, as another wave of dizziness hits me. The party is in full swing, the house is packed with our families, friends and a few neighbors, and of course, Christmas music is blaring from the speakers in the living room.    

I'm having a fucking blast. I haven't been this drunk, in God knows how long. I'm sure I'll regret it in the morning, but for now...I'm going to enjoy it.     

I spot that familiar white cashmere sweater, and smile to myself as I head in her direction. I know, there's all these rules and we're supposed to do the friend thing, but tonight...I just don't care.    

I just...I need to touch her, feel her skin under my fingertips. I need more than what she's been giving me lately. The last several weeks, I've been too damn horny for my own good, and tonight...I'm drunk enough to do something about it, and not worry about the consequences.    

I walk up behind her, and she jumps a little when my arms snake around her waist, and I pull her against me. It sounds stupid, but she feels amazing there. I don't get how she does it...if she feels everything I feel, how can she not want more?    

I rest my chin on her shoulder, and my vision blurs as I try to focus on the person she's talking to. I finally make out his face, and grin.    

"Jack! What's up brotha?"     

He shakes his head, and laughs at me. "Justin...nice to see you're still not shy around a liquor cabinet."    

"Psh...no way man. Besides, that's the whole point of this party. If we were all sober, it'd be boring as shit." I smile, as I start to slowly sway mine and Ally's hips to the music.    

She hasn't pushed me away, or slapped me yet, so I'm taking that as a small victory. I really miss being able to do this kind of stuff...touch her whenever I want, kiss her just for the hell of it.  I miss every bit of all that silly, couple shit.    

"Well...you kids have fun. Don't do anything I wouldn't do, little sister." He smirks, then disappears into the kitchen.     

Ally turns to face me, but makes no attempt to break our contact. I want to know why, of all the things she could have worn, why did it have to be white? It just brings back memories of the vision of her in a naughty nurse costume, and I can't handle that right now.     

"How much have you had to drink?" She asks quietly.    

"Beats me." I shrug, and let my hands slide a little lower than her hips. "I'm in a good place right now, let's leave it at that."    

She giggles, with a shake of her head, and takes a long sip of her wine. "I'm hoping I'll get there soon. I'm bored out of my damn mind."    

"Never fear, Ally Lynn. I'll get you wasted." I let go of her hips, grab her by the hand, and lead her to the basement.    

A lot of the younger people are hanging out down here, probably because, all of the alcohol is down here. I remember, before any of us turned 21, we'd sit down here and wait until the adults had gone upstairs, and we'd sneak as much liquor as we could. Judging by all the 16 and 17 year old kids down here, I'm guessing that's a tradition that hasn't quite died yet.    

I pull a fairly large bottle of Jack off the table, and head back up the steps, Ally's fingers still laced through mine. Without a word, I open the front door, and we step outside. We quickly cross the street to my Mom's, and hurry inside.    

Ally immediately kicks off her heels, and pulls off her sweater. She has on this black, low cut, sleeveless shirt on underneath it, and I have to swallow the lump in my throat. I swear...she wears all this semi-revealing shit, just to drive me crazy.    

I head into the kitchen, grab two glasses and a couple Cokes, then plop down on the floor in the living room.    

"Normally, I love that party, but this year it's just...ugh." She says as she pours a fair amount of Jack in her glass, then adds a splash of Coke. "I guess your ankles feeling better?"    

"Totally." I nod as she passes me the bottle. "Thanks for your help."    

"It's nothing." She dismisses me with a wave of her hand, and takes a sip of her drink. She scrunches up her nose, then swallows quickly and shakes her head. "I hate this shit."    

"You have no taste in liquor." I scoot closer to her, and rest my hands on her knees. "So...I was thinking..."
    

"I'm not having sex with you." She cuts me off, and all I can do is sit there, with my mouth hanging open.    

Suddenly, I'm remembering why I used to screw around with stupid chicks. They're a lot easier to get in the sack.    

"Ally Lynn...I am offended. Nobody said anything about sex."    

"Please. Like I don't know what you're doing? I know your little games, Justin. So, don't even try it."    

"That hurts, Al." I pout and she cracks a small smile.    

"Alright fine...I'll humor you. What have you been thinking about?" She asks, and takes a long gulp of her Jack and Coke.    

"As I was saying, before I was so rudely interrupted...I've been thinking, and...I want to move back here."    

Her eyes widen, and she nearly spits out her drink. "You're joking, right?"    

"No. I'm serious, Al. I really want to move back. I'm just so burnt out on California, and I miss being here so fucking much. It's just better here."    

"Justin...we have lives in L. A...you work out of L. A. Nobody's going to come to bumfucked Tennessee, just because you're here."    

"I'll fly back and forth." I shrug. "Being around my family, is way more important."    

"We leave for the tour in a week, Justin! How the hell do you expect to move across the country, while you're on the road?"    

I roll my eyes, and shake my head. "After the tour, Ally. Duh."    

"Have you told Johnny yet?"
    

"Fuck Johnny. It's my choice. Not his." I shrug. "So, whadda ya say? I'm not doing this without you."    

She bites her lip, and I can tell, she's really thinking this through, which is a good sign. If she was completely against it, she'd have said no, right off the bat. Even though it won't be for awhile, I know this is the right thing to do.    

I just, I think L. A is taking it's toll on us, and we need to get out. Touring will definitely help, but we'll be under so much stress, and I don't want to come back to a city that just causes more problems.     

"Alright." She says quietly.     

I smile so big, I think my face might crack. I tackle her to the ground, and before I can even think, my lips are planted firmly on hers. I don't care if she slaps me, or pushes me away...I'm so damn happy that she's agreed to do this.     

I finally pull away, and smile down at her. She looks less than pleased with me, but it doesn't matter. Things are finally working in my favor, and it's amazing.    

And deep down, I know, I'm just one step closer to winning back the woman I love.

 

 

 

"Won't Go Home Without You"-Maroon 5



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story