Author's Chapter Notes:
Fair warning... this one's just a tad sappy. lol. Enjoy!

It's a long shot, baby,
I know it's true.
But if anyone can make it,
I'm bettin' on me and you.
Just keep on moving into me,
I know you're gonna see
The best is yet to come
And don't fear it now,
We're going all the way.
That sun is shining on a brand new day.
It's a long way down
And it's a leap of faith
But we're never giving up
Cuz I know we've got a once in a lifetime love    

 

"What about Justin Junior?"     

"You're joking, right?" I can't help but smile at Ally's bored tone, and I can just picture her rolling her eyes at me.     

"What's wrong with my name?"    

"Nothing I just...I'm not too big on the whole Junior thing."    

"Alright, alright...what about....Seth?"            

"Can't you pick anything besides boy names?"    

"I could, but what's the point? I know we're having a boy." I sink a little deeper into my mattress and let out a loud sigh. I really, really miss her.    

The baby's due in a little over two weeks, and the European leg of the tour has three days left. As much as I love what I do, I can't wait to get back home. I've been completely miserable being away from Ally like this, and really...it's not just being away from her that I hate.     

I've had to miss out on 90 percent of her pregnancy and I know, I'm probably going to regret that for a long time. I didn't get to help her pick out furniture, or decorate the baby's room. I only went to one of her many doctors appointments. I never went shopping for baby clothes or diapers.     

I've missed all of the fun, exciting stuff about getting ready to have a baby, and it really fucking blows. I really just want to get back home and be with my girlfriend.     

"How can you be so sure? I mean, what if it's a girl?" She asks quietly.     

"That's cool too, I guess. But I really want a boy."    

Honestly, I'll be happy either way, but having a son would just be incredible. I guess, I just see fathers and sons having this certain kind of bond. I mean, there's so much I could do with a son, that I'd never be able to do with a daughter.     

I can take him fishing, teach him how to play basketball. When he's older, I can educate him on woman and people in general, and if I'm really lucky... he'll be as into music as I am.     

I can't even really explain it. I just really want a boy.     

"Alright Justin.." Ally yawns loudly, and I know exactly what that means. "It's two in the morning, I need sleep."    

"Yeah, I probably do too. So, I'll talk to you in the morning?"

"Yeah...love you." She mumbles sleepily.    

"Love you too, Al. Night." I snap my phone shut and place it on the nightstand before flipping off the light.    

Just hearing her voice isn't anywhere near enough. I need to have her here in front of me, feel her laying next to me every night, be able to smell her perfume.     

To this day, the way I feel about her still scares the hell out of me.     

I thought I was in love a few times before, but it was never like this. I never desperately needed that other person the way I do Ally. For the longest time, I always swore my career would come first, but Ally and this baby have completely changed that. They are the two most important things in my life, and nothing's going to change that.     

My nervousness about becoming a father hasn't quite kicked in yet, but I'm sure it will once I get back home. I mean, our lives are about to be turned completely upside down once this baby is born, and that's a little terrifying.     

But, I'm excited, ya know? As scary as all of this is, it's pretty damn cool at the same time. I'm going to have a kid, man.    

There's going to be this little replica of me running around and I get to teach him all about the world, and help him become the best person he can be. It's really cool to have that responsibility.     

I just wish we could come up with a name.     

We had no trouble deciding that the baby's last name would be Timberlake.     

I know, it sounds weird, but that was actually a pretty big deal. After all, Ally and I aren't married and because of that, I thought maybe she'd want the baby to have her last name. I wasn't too thrilled with that idea, but if Ally had wanted it that way, I would have dealt with it.    

Luckily, it was pretty much a non-issue for her. I'm the father, the baby gets my last name. End of story.     

Ally's been reading over several baby name books for the last couple weeks, but she has yet to find something we both agree on. And, I'm sure I'm not helping any, because all I can come up with are boy names.     

We agreed that we wanted a name that's a little different, but not so weird that our kid will spend his life being mocked. We tossed out the idea of family names awhile ago. I mean, I'm cool with the middle name being a family name, but if we use a family name for the first name too, it might piss somebody off and the family stuff is on fairly shaky ground to begin with.    

Ally's dad seems to be getting worse on a daily basis. At first, he just shut out the two of us, but now...he isn't speaking to Lauren and Trace, or any of my family. And, he's pretty damn cold, even to his own wife and sons.     

Apparently, he doesn't like the fact that they've all been supporting us and our decision to not get married. It's pretty stupid, really.    

I have every intention of marrying Ally....someday. It's just...this baby stuff happened so damn fast. It really was the shock of a lifetime and we had so much other shit going on. Trying to rush wedding plans would have caused even more stress and we didn't need that.    

I want Ally to have the amazing wedding she deserves and it'll take some time to plan that. Everybody else understands that, why can't Dave?    

Like I said, it'll happen....just not yet.

 

**************************    

 

I walk into the house and immediately, the scent of pancakes hits my nose, and I can't help but smile. Lauren's spent the last several months teaching Ally to cook and according to Trace, it's been paying off.    

Thank God.    

I love my girl, but cooking definitely wasn't one of her better qualities.     

"You wanna stay and eat?" I ask as Joel brings the last of my bags into the house.   

"Like you even have to ask." He chuckles and rolls his eyes before heading into the kitchen.    

I didn't at first, but I've actually grown to really like Joel. Number one, he's fantastic at his job. Granted, he isn't Ally or Trace, but he can definitely hold his own, and he's cool as shit. We're into a lot of the same movies and music, and he golf's. I never expected it, but we got to be pretty tight in Europe and I can honestly see him becoming the fifth in our little group.     

I enter the kitchen and can't stop the smile that spreads across my face. Ally and Lauren are hovering over the stove, while Trace is seated at the table, attempting to feed Noah. Each time Trace lifts the spoon to the baby's mouth, Noah giggles and shakes his head, smearing food all over his face.     

I still can't believe we've reached this point. I mean, it's almost unreal to think that we're all pushing 30, our lives all about marriage, babies and settling down.     

If someone had told me 10 years ago that our friendships would evolve into this...I'd have thought they were on some heavy ass drugs.     

"What's up man?" Trace grins once he gives up on feeding his son. "Glad you're back."    

"Yeah...you and me both."    

Ally finally turns to face me, and I swear...I can't breathe. She looks...I don't even think there's a word to describe how amazing she looks right now. She's still keeping her hair short, which has actually kind of grown on me, and even though she looks like she's about to pop, there's this glow all around her, like she's beyond happy with everything around her.     

She smiles before waddling her way over to me, and without a word, I bend down and capture her lips with mine. I could definitely spend the rest of my life kissing her, and never get tired of it.     

Granted, there's a few other things I'd love to do to her right now, but according to the post-pregnancy rules, we won't be doing any of that for quite awhile.     

I guess everything has it's downside.    

"Hi." She smiles brightly up at me.    

"Hey... I missed you." I grin as I rub my hands across her stomach.    

"Oh Jesus... how sappy are you two? It's been three weeks!" Trace groans loudly and rolls his eyes.     

"Dude, that's nothing." Joel laughs along with him. "You should have heard the phone calls in Europe. That was extra cheesy."    

"Not surprising." Trace mutters.    

"Oh please...like you wouldn't have been just as bad." Lauren smirks as she slaps the back of Trace's head playfully.     

Ya know, as much as our lives are changing, deep down...we're still the same people. We're still those four goofy kids from Memphis, and I think we always will be, no matter what's going on around us.

 

*******************************    

 

"I don't know man...it just seems like a bit much." I shrug as I look around the baby's room, jam packed with furniture.    

I don't know what the hell Ally was thinking when she bought all of this. There's two fairly large dressers, a changing table, the crib, two rocking chairs, a bookshelf and a small loveseat.    

Why the hell does a baby need a loveseat?    

"This is nothing. Lauren bought so much shit before Noah was born, some of it's still sitting in boxes in the basement. Trust me..it could be worse." Trace chuckles as he helps me put the baby's clothes into the dresser.    

Ally's gotten to the point where she's so damn big, she can't hardly walk. So, Trace and I have taken over the preparation duties, even though I know as soon as she's able to, Ally's gonna get in here and move everything around, the way she wants it.    

"So, you ready for all of this?"    

"Yeah...I think I am." I grin stupidly and nod. "I'm excited, ya know? If we could just straighten out all this Dave shit, everything would be just about perfect."    

"I wouldn't worry about him J. He'll come around eventually. Once the baby's born, that grandfather thing will kick in, and it'll be fine."    

"I don't know man...he's pretty pissed."    

"Well yeah... you knocked up his little girl. What the hell did you expect?" I can't help but laugh at him and roll my eyes.    

It amazes me how Trace can always make light of a bad situation. There's been times where I honestly thought things were about as bad as they could be, and he'd crack some stupid joke, and it was like... everything didn't seem so terrible.    

Suddenly, Lauren bursts into the room, clutching Ally's purse.  She shoves my keys into my hand and even though she hasn't said a word, I know exactly what's going on.    

Ally's in labor.    

I bolt out of the room and down the stairs, to find Ally seated on the couch, a look of pain crossing her face every few seconds.    

"Al... you alright?"    

"Oh yeah Justin.. I'm fucking fantastic." She mutters and rolls her eyes before pushing herself off of the couch.    

Even in the middle of labor, she's as sarcastic as ever. Why am I not surprised?    

Lauren and Trace are out the door in a matter of seconds and I follow behind Ally as she waddles her way to the car.     

It probably sounds a little dick, but I'm really going to miss watching her walk like that. It's funny as all hell. She looks like a damn duck or something. I know, this really isn't the time to make fun of my very pregnant girlfriend.     

"Jus....call my mommy." Ally whimpers as Trace pulls out of the driveway.     

I nod and quickly pull my phone out of my pocket before dialing Ann's number. She picks up after one ring, and doesn't waste any time with a greeting.    

"She's in labor, isn't she?"    

"Yeah... looks like it."    

"I'll meet you at the hospital." The line goes dead and I can't help but smile.     

I almost can't believe this is really happening.     

I know that sounds so stupid, but the whole thing is just... unreal. I mean, two years ago.. Ally was just my best friend. I never imagined she'd become the mother of my child. I never imagined I'd plan on marrying her.     

I just... I never expected or planned for any of this. But, I have no regrets.     

I keep thinking back to the two weeks Lauren and Trace spent here at home, before their wedding. If their families hadn't planned that big get-together, I don't think Ally and I ever would have crossed that "just friends" line.     

I know I was scared shitless of making a move on her. I just.. she's too damn good for me, and I know that. Everything that's happened since we got together, is proof of that. I've done so much stupid shit, it completely blows my mind that she puts up with me.    

I guess, love is a funny thing. It makes you do things you normally wouldn't, things you never thought you'd do. It makes you weak and vulnerable and most of the time, it's pretty terrifying. But, it's worth it.     

All of the pain and the fear is completely worth it.     

Ally laces her fingers through mine, and forces the best smile she can manage. "This is it."    

"Yeah... looks like it." I grin and kiss her forehead.    

It sounds stupid, but I can't help but disagree with her. This isn't it for us. This is just the beginning, and I've got a feeling, it's only going to get better from here.

 

*********************    

 

"What the hell is taking so long?" I shout as I pace the floor of the waiting room.     

My first act as a new father might actually be to strangle my girlfriend.     

I know she's scared out of her mind, and I've heard that giving birth is no picnic, but... I thought she'd want me there with her, every step of the way. Instead, I'm stuck out here pacing the floor like a God damn maniac, while she's back there with her mother, having my baby.     

I'm sure I sound like a selfish brat, but I really don't care.    

"Will you calm your ass down?" Trace rolls his eyes and sighs.     

I've been driving everybody kind of crazy for the last hour and a half, but I can't help it. I should be back there in the delivery room with her.    

When the hospital staff settled her into her room, she was perfectly fine. She was laughing and talking with everybody, clinging to me for dear life. But, the second her water broke, she kind of lost it. She started crying and hyperventilating and she just wanted her mother.     

In a way, I can kind of understand it. Ally's always had a pretty low tolerance for pain. And, even to this day...when I'm in pain, I want my momma. I guess being hurt brings out the kid in everybody.         

I continue to pace for almost another half an hour before Ann walks out of those double doors, a wide smile spread across her face.     

"Justin... you can go on back." She walks up to me and wraps her arms around me tight, tears spilling down her cheeks. "Congratulations sweetheart... that's one beautiful baby you got there."    

I nod and swallow the large lump that's formed in my throat before I make my way back to Ally's room. I can't seem to get my hands to stop shaking and suddenly, I have the strong urge to throw up.    

Ten seconds ago, I was bitter and pissed off, but now... I'm a ball of nerves. Suddenly... nothing else really even matters, except getting to see my girlfriend and our baby.    

I stop in front of Ally's door, and shut my eyes. As soon as I walk into this room, my life is going to change completely. Everything I've ever known is going to be different. I'm not going to think or feel the same way about anything anymore.     

I'm a father now.     

My life isn't about fans, record sales or writing anymore. It's about the two people behind this door.     

I open it slowly and can feel the tears well up in my eyes at the sight of Ally propped up in bed, holding a small pink bundle in her arms.     

It's a girl.    

I have a little girl.     

"Hey." I choke out as I pull a chair up next to Ally's bed and look at the tiny figure in her arms. She's... she's perfect.     

She has the pinkest cheeks I've ever seen, and there's a fair amount of soft, dark brown hair on her head, just like her mothers. She has the brightest blue eyes and she's just... she's absolutely beautiful.     

"Hi." Ally smiles, never taking her eyes off of the baby in her arms. I lean over and tilt her head up to look at me, and finally capture her lips with mine.     

"I love you." I whisper as I ease back into my seat.     

"I love you too, Justin." She grins. "So we still don't have a name and... we need to decide on one."    

"Yeah we do." I nod slowly. "I did kind of pick out a girl name, but I was holding it back in case we had a boy..."

"I knew it! You're such an ass." Ally giggles and shakes her head. "Well? Let's hear it."    

"Lily Ann." I grin as Ally bites her lip before looking down at our little girl.     

"Lily Ann." She repeats. "Lily Ann Timberlake."    

"We can come up with something else if you don't like it..."    

I'm praying to God she likes it. I came up with that name a month or so ago while I was still in Europe, after one of our heated baby name arguments. Ally bitched me out pretty good for not picking out girls names, so when I hung up the phone that night, I sat and thought about it, and Lily was the only name I could come up with. Ann, of course.. for Ally's mother.     

"I love it." She grins and nods slowly. "Lily."    

Before I know it, our friends and family are filtering in and out of Ally's room, congratulating us, dropping off balloons and flowers, gushing over Lily.    

But, Dave still isn't anywhere to be found.     

Ally hasn't mentioned it, but I know it's killing her that her father wasn't here for this. Hell, even I'm a little disappointed that he didn't show. But...it doesn't matter. We'll be just fine without him, or anybody else.     

It's the three of us against the world now.

 

 

"Once In A Lifetime"-Keith Urban            

Chapter End Notes:

well...i do believe the next chapter will be the last. i'm actually kind of sad to see this one end! lol this was the story that got me back into writing, so it's kind of my baby.

anywho... there will most definitely be a sequel. so keep your eyes peeled for that!



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story