There was a loud knock on her door.  She just laid in bed, hoping it was a dream and not someone knocking on her door at 8am on her only day off that week.  The knocking came again.  She groaned.  "Just a minute," she yelled out as she climbed out of bed and threw on a terry cloth robe.  She opened the door to her apartment.  She squinted at the bright sunlight.

 

           "Amanda Parrish," the gentleman in a green polo shirt with the Toyota emblem on it asked.

 

            "Yeah," she answered.

 

            "I have a delivery for you.  I just need you to sign here," he indicated on the clipboard he held.

 

            "Um, what is it, I don't own a Toyota," she questioned before she signed the paper.

 

            "Apparently you do now," he replied with a smile.

 

            "Uh," she asked in total confusion.

 

            "Come take a look," he said as he reached for her hand.

 

            She jumped back as she had been bitten by a rattlesnake and slammed the door in the gentleman's face.  "If you think I'm going to fall for that, you've got another think coming," she said as she redid the dead bolt for the door and grabbed a chair from the dining room set and shoved it under the handle.

 

            "Miss, I don't know what you're talking about.  I was just told to deliver this vehicle to this address to a woman with your name," the gentleman said, sounding exasperated.

 

            "Fine, what is your name?" Amanda asked as she picked up the phone and pulled out the phone book.  She looked up the dealership and dialed the number.  She noted the number of the dealership on the invoice on the clipboard she still held in her hands was the same as the one in the phone book.

 

            "John Phillips."  Amanda quickly verified with the dealership the information.  When she hung up the phone, she opened the door and sheepishly peered up at the gentleman.

 

            "I'm sorry," she apologized.

 

            "Actually, you don't have anything to be sorry about, I realize how it may have seemed, and I just hope my little sister is as smart as you were if she had been in that situation," he said as she signed the invoice on the clipboard.  "Just one question, how do you know the number you dialed was to the dealership?"

 

            "Because I didn't use your invoice, I used the yellow pages," she replied with a smirk.

 

            "Even better thinking.  Now, here are your keys, the warranty information, and owner's manual," he said as he handed over a large envelope.

 

            "One other thing, who is this from," she asked as she peer over the railing to the parking lot down below.  There, a flat bed truck was unloading an indigo blue 4-runner wrapped in huge red ribbon with a gigantic bow centered on the hood.

 

            "Oh, yeah, and this," John said as he handed a card to her before bounding down the steps.

 

            She quickly ripped open the enveloped

and pulled the card out.  It was a light cream heavy card stock with the words "I'm Sorry" embossed on the front.  She opened the card.  It read:

I'm sorry for wrecking your first new car.  Please accept this gift as a replacement.  JC 

                        P.S.  Answer your phone

            Just then, her phone rang in her hand and she looked at it as if it were possessed.  She quickly pushed the "talk" button.  "Hello?"

 

            "Look down."  She looked down to see JC, cell phone in one hand, bouquet of yellow roses in the other.  "I'm sorry."

 

            Amanda hung the phone up and just smiled in bewilderment.  She had no idea how to react to JC and his gift.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love jc hospital drunkjc solojc