Amanda sat in her bed in her private room a few hours later watching the news.  Gentian was shaken by the news of the accident, but was able to give Amanda Johnny's number.  She said she and Justin would be on the next flight out of Los Angeles, however, they were in the middle of a massive summer storm and the area airports were closed.  Gen was also going to contact the other guys.

 

            A picture in the upper right hand corner of the national news broadcast caught Amanda's attention.  Tom Brokaw spoke, "JC Chasez of the internationally popular singing group *Nsync and his female traveling companion were involved in a multi-car collision on the Florida Turnpike earlier today a press release from Jive Records announced."  An aerial picture of the scene was splashed on the screen.  Amanda cringed at the number of cars and the extent of damage involved.  "The press release confirms the accident and that he is receiving medical treatment at a nearby hospital.  No word on the extent of his injuries or his current condition."

 

            There was a knock at the door.  "Come in," Amanda called.

 

            "Hey, how are you doing," Anne asked as she entered the room.

 

            "Eh," Amanda replied as she held out her hand and wobbled it back and forth.

 

            "Well, they've got JC all set up in the ICU.  They wanted to run a few more tests before you came up," Anne explained the hours Amanda had to wait.  "Do you want me to come with you?"

 

            "Yeah, I can't exactly push a wheelchair right now, and no one I know is here yet."  JC's parents and sister were waiting on standby at the O’Hare airport for the next available fight.  His brother Tyler was driving down from Orlando with Chris and should arrive within the next hour.  Joey was going to talk to the producers of "Rent" to see if there was anyway he could leave the show for a couple days.  They had yet to get a hold of Lance.  No one knew exactly how to get a hold of him in Russia, but his parents knew of the situation and were doing their best to contact him.

 

            Anne helped Amanda put on a robe and get situated in the wheelchair.  "Now, I want to prepare you for what you're going to see.  He's still on the respirator, so he has that tube in his mouth.  They've also put in a NG tube so they can get some nutrients in.  They've put in a central line so they do not have to repeatedly stick him as they draw blood for lab tests, as well as avoid complications of standard IV's.  There are many machines around him.  The respirator as well as machines to monitor his heartbeat and blood pressure and stuff like that.  He's going to be very pale and look fragile, but don't be afraid to touch him or talk to him.  We find that in these cases, a familiar voice is very beneficial for recovery."  Anne finished as they stopped outside the ICU entrance.  "Now, you'll have ten minutes, and in an hour, you can come back for another ten minutes."  She stepped around to face Amanda.  "Are you ready?"

 

            "As ready as I can ever be," Amanda replied softly as she stared at the doors in front of her.

 

            Anne inputted the code into the door and they swung open and Amanda was wheeled into the room.  She inhaled sharply at the sight ahead of her.  Eight hospital beds were organized into a semicircle.  Each had its own set of machines attached to a patient.  It was hard to tell specifics of the other occupants of the ICU ward, but all eight beds were occupied.  Anne walked to the nurses' station.  The scrub clad nurse pointed to a bed in the corner of the room.  Anne returned and wheeled the chair towards the bed.

 

            Amanda fought the tears rising in her eyes as she quickly realized the occupant of the bed was JC. Anne wheeled Amanda to the bed so it was on her right side.  "Are you going to be ok?"

 

            Amanda didn't answer at first, she kept staring at JC.  "Um, yeah."

 

            "Then I'll be back in ten minutes," Anne replied as she gently patted Amanda's right shoulder.

 

            Amanda stared.  The sight of JC in this conditioned overwhelmed her.  He was exactly the way Anne described him to be, but completely different at the same time.  All the tubes Anne said would be there were, and he did look pale.  But what she had failed to describe was how lifeless his body looked.

 

            She pulled the chair closer to the bed and took his right hand in hers.  It was cool to the touch.  She raised it to her mouth and gave it a soft kiss.  She reached up to his face and brushed a chunk of hair off his forehead.

 

            "Hey babe," she said with a shaky voice.  She cleared her throat.  "So we were in an accident.  But I guess you already know that," she said as she took his hand in hers again.  She gently ran her thumb over the top of his hand.  "I'm ok.  Sprained my knee.  And my shoulder hurts.  But other than that, I came through with flying colors."  A tear slipped down her cheek.  "Your parents are on their way from Chicago.  And Tyler's driving down with Chris.  And the rest of the guys are going to be here as soon as they can."  Another tear fell.  Amanda reached up and brushed it away with her left hand.  "Listen, you need to wake up.  You've got us all really, really worried."  More tears slipped down her cheeks.

 

            She sat there listening to the rhythmic beeping of the heart monitor, the perfectly timed whoosh of the respirator, the hum of the blood pressure machine starting automatically.  She took a deep breath.

 

            "I've got to go.  They're only giving me ten minutes and I've been here about nine and a half.  I'll be back in an hour.  I love you," she said as she raised his hand to her lips again.  "Please wake up."

 

            Anne placed her hand gently on Amanda's shoulder.  Amanda put JC's hand back at his side, covering it up as best as possible with the blanket as Anne pulled the chair away from his bed.  Anne wheeled the chair back to Amanda's room as Amanda sat in silence trying to completely comprehend JC's medical state. 

 

            When they got to her room, Anne helped Amanda back into the bed.  The older woman gave her a brief hug before leaving.  Amanda turned on the TV, trying to concentrate, but soon the pain medication she had been given made it hard to keep her eyes open.  She closed her eyes and quickly succumbed to sleep. 

 *        *        *        *        *

 

            "AHHHH," Amanda yelled as someone harshly shook her left leg.  She sat up in bed and glared at her feet.  "Stop that," she spat angrily as she swatted at the hand on her ankle.

 

            "Sorry, did that hurt," an elfish voice asked.

 

            "No you moron, I scream bloody murder when someone shakes my ankle for the fun of it.  Can't you see it's propped up," she said as she motioned to the pillows under her knee.  "That usually indicates an injury," she said as she rearranged the pillows to try and soothe the now throbbing joint.  She took a breath when she was done and looked up to the person who had woken her up so harshly.  She cringed and covered her face with her hands.  "I'm sorry," she finally said.

 

            "No, I'm sorry.  The nurses said your right leg was the one that was injured, it says it on the board," he said as he pointed to the white board on the far end of the room.  "I really didn't mean to hurt you," he said apologetically as he stepped towards the head of the bed.

 

            "And I'm sorry I yelled at you.  It's been…" Amanda's voice trailed off as she tried to find the right words.

 

            "…one of those days," Chris finished for her.

 

            "Yeah," Amanda said as she held out her right hand.  "I'm Amanda."

 

            "Chris," Chris said as he took her hand firmly.  They both gave a half chuckle sigh and shook their heads.  Chris pulled up one of the chairs in the room and sat down.

 

            "Where's Tyler," Amanda said as she looked around the room.

 

            "He's up with JC right now.  He's never met you and felt awkward coming down to see you," Chris explained.

 

            "Not that you and I have met either," Amanda pointed out.

 

            "Oh, but we have my dear," he replied.  Amanda looked at him with confused eyes.  "No the drugs haven't had that strong an effect, yet.  The party."

 

            Amanda nodded in remembrance.  "'Nuff said," she replied as she tried to forget the image of JC kissing another woman.  She laid back in the bed and sighed deeply.  "Have his parents arrived yet?"

 

            "No, they're still at O’Hare.  Tyler said they've got seats on a flight in an hour."

 

            "Justin and Gentian?"

 

            "Sitting on a Lear Jet at LAX waiting for the first break in the rain to take off."

 

            "Joey?"

 

            "Here tomorrow.  He had to do tonight's show and will be leaving early morning."

 

            "Lance?"

 

            "We finally got word to him an hour ago and he's talking with the flight operations officer to see how much time he can get off, if any.  He wants to be here…"

 

            "…but doesn't want to jeopardize his chance at going into space and throw out all the hard work he's gone through…"

 

            "…And is feeling like a heel for even debating the decision."

 

            "Sounds exactly like Lance," she said with a small smile.  "If it helps anything, let him know JC couldn't stop talking about the space trip and kept saying how proud he is of Lance for following his dream."

 

            "Sounds like JC, always being supportive of our personal endeavors."

 

            "Ooo, big word from such a small person," Amanda replied with a smile.

 

            "Hey now," Chris replied.

 

            "Hey now nothing, my leg is just now feeling better…"

 

            "Fine," Chris started to say but was interrupted by a knock on the door.

 

            "Come in," Amanda called out.

 

            "Amanda," a young gentleman said as he entered the room.

 

            "Yes," she replied as a spark of recognition ignited in her memory.  "Tyler, right," she asked as the young man walked to her.

 

            "Yes," he answered as Amanda stretched out her right arm.  He ignored the outstretched hand and wrapped his arms around her as best as he could.  She leaned forward and put her arms around him.  "Thank you," he said finally as he pulled away.  There were tears streaming down his face.  "The nurses said you saved his life."

 

            "I just did what anyone would have done in the same case," she said.  She really didn't know how to answer to Tyler's display of raw emotions.

 

            "No, you didn't.  Chris over there would have fainted or something," Tyler replied weakly as more tears started to fall.  Amanda reached out to him and gave him another hug.  Chris quickly joined in.  The younger man's sobs soon dimmed and he pulled away and sat on the edge of the bed.

 

            "Any change," Amanda finally asked.

 

            "None," Tyler replied softly.

 

            "Have you seen him yet," Chris asked Amanda.

 

            "Yeah, about seven or so.  What time is it?"

 

            "Almost ten," Tyler replied as he looked at his watch.

 

            A wave of panic swept over Amanda.  "I've got to go see him.  I promised I'd be back after an hour," she rambled as she tried to get out of the bed.

 

            "Amanda, you need to stay in bed and rest," Chris replied sensibly.

 

            "No," she replied with determination in her voice.  "I need to go see him now."  The tone of her voice told Chris not to question her.  He quickly moved to her side to help her into the wheel chair.

 

            As the three headed to JC's ICU ward, Amanda quickly recapped the accident.  When they got to the ward, Tyler stayed in the waiting room while Chris pushed Amanda to JC's bed.  Five feet from the bed, Chris drew a sharp breath.

 

            "I uh, I've got to go," he stammered and turned quickly on his heels and left the area.  She knew it would be hard for the rest of the guys to see JC in his current state.  They were used to seeing him bright and vibrant and bouncing and singing and dancing around on stage. 

 

            She wheeled herself closer to the bed, the painkillers she was on taking care of any discomfort in her shoulder.  She reached out and took JC's hand and rubbed her thumb lightly over the back of his.

 

            "Hey babe, it's me.  I'm sorry I didn't come back when I said I would, the painkillers they gave me sorta knocked me out for a bit.  Tyler came to visit you, but you know that.  And your parents and sister are on their way down.  They'll be here later tonight.  And Chris is here.  But he took one look at you and had to leave.   The wimp," she said with a laugh, trying to lift her spirits.  "Joey will be here as soon as he can as will Justin and Gentian.  Lance," she paused.  "Lance is feeling guilty right now that he can't drop everything and rush down here.  So you've got to wake up and let him know it's ok to stay in Russia."  She thought for a moment.  "Jive put out a press release about the accident, just saying that you were in an accident and you were getting treatment.  They don't want to let on how badly yet.  So that's another reason you've got to wake up.  You don't want all those teenagers converging on your hospital bed now do we," she asked with a fake smile.  "And I want you to wake up.  I want to see your blue eyes, your smile, hear your laugh, feel your arms around me, to kiss me."  She gently placed a kiss on his hand.  "I've got to go, Nurse Ratchett over there is giving me the evil eye.  I'll be back as soon as I can.  I love you," she said before kissing his hand again.

 

            Tyler came to wheel her out of the ICU ward.  As soon as she was in the waiting room, she let the tears flow silently.  Chris took her hand and the three young people sat in silence.  A few minutes later, Tyler went to see his brother again.  Several minutes after he returned, Chris also went to see his friend.  He only stayed a few minutes, just long enough to let JC know he was there, and vowed to stay longer next time.

 

            For the next several hours, they took turns seeing their friend.  Ten-minute visitation followed by a ten-minute "rest" period when the nurses checked up on him.  Amanda refused to go back to her room, even when the nurses from her floor came looking for her.  They wanted to check her vitals so Amanda held out her arm and told them to "go for it".  She didn't see any reason continuously be wheeled back and forth between her room and the ICU when she could just sit in the waiting room.  She could fidget anywhere.

 

            "Tyler," Amanda heard someone ask around five the next morning.  Amanda leaned over in her chair and poked Tyler, who was lying on the couch next to her, in the ribs.

 

            "Hey buddy, someone's asking for you," she said through a yawn.  Tyler sat up with a shot and looked towards the doorway of the waiting room.

 

            "Mom," he called out as he sat up and crossed the room in two giant steps and embraced his mother.  A man and a young lady quickly joined in the hug.  Amanda guessed they were JC's father and sister.  When they broke, there were tears on everyone's faces.  Mrs. Chasez walked to Chris and gave him a hug.  They talked for a few moments and then Chris stood up and took Mrs. Chasez's hand and walked over to Amanda.  Mrs. Chasez motioned for the rest of her family to join her.

 

            "This is Amanda, she was the one driving," Chris said as they approached Amanda.  "And the one that saved his life."

 

            Before Amanda could respond, Mrs. Chasez leaned over and gave her a hug.  "Thank you for saving my boy," she whispered into Amanda's ear.

 

            "I, um…," Amanda was at a loss for words.  But as she looked up at Mrs. Chasez and saw the adoration in her eyes, she knew what to say.  "You're welcome, Mrs. Chasez," she replied quietly.

 

            "Call me Karen," JC's mother requested as she motioned her husband and daughter closer.  "This is Roy and Heather," Karen said, introducing the rest of the Chasez family to Amanda.

 

            "Nice to meet you," Amanda replied politely as the two leaned over and hugged her as well.

 

            "Amanda," a nurse called from the doorway.  Roy and Heather broke the hug so Amanda could see who was calling her.  "It's your turn," the nurse continued as she held the door to the ICU open.

 

            "Um, you guys go, he needs you," Amanda said as she motioned the Chasez's to the waiting nurse.  The four all headed towards the doorway.

 

            When the door closed, Chris put his hand on Amanda's shoulder.  "You didn't have to do that," he said as she covered his hand with hers.

 

            "Yes I did.  I've only been apart of his life for a couple months, they're his family.  If he's going to respond to anyone, it's him," she said as she wiped a tear away angrily.  "I am so tired of crying.  It's not going to do anything."  Chris wrapped his arms around her shoulders and gave her a quick squeeze.

 

            "It'll be ok," he said softly in her ear.  She leaned her head against his and let the tears flow.

 

            "I'm so scared," she said a few minutes later as she wiped her nose with a Kleenex.

 

            "We all are," Chris said as he sat in the chair next to her and reached for her hand.

 

            They sat in silence till JC's family came back.  "Any change," Amanda asked hopefully.  Tyler just shook his head.

 

            The door to the waiting room opened and a nurse appeared with an odd look on her face.  "Amanda," she asked softly.

 

            "Um, yeah," she replied softly, squeezing Chris' hand.

 

            "Would you come with me for a minute?"

 

            "Um, sure," Amanda answered a she let go of Chris hand and wheeled herself to the door.

 

            As they were walking down the hallway, the nurse explained the situation.  "JC's doctor was noticing a pattern in JC's vitals from last night.   There were times they were 'peaking' meaning he was in an agitated state.  Other times there were 'valleys' meaning he was calm, resting.  He noticed the peaks immediately followed the valleys and lasted several minutes, returning to semi-normal after a few minutes.  We noticed this was happening every hour, the valley being when you were with him, the peaks being right after you left."

 

            "Ok," Amanda nodded her head in understanding.

 

            "We're going to do a test, if you don't object, to see if this is really the case.  All you have to do is just sit with him for about fifteen minutes and then leave.  Act like you have over the course of the night."

 

            "Ok, and if this theory is proven true, then what?"

 

            "Well, it's a good sign that he's not slipping into a coma because he's aware of his surroundings," the nurse answered with a smile.

 

            "Ok, let's do this," Amanda replied with a weak smile as the nurse wheeled her into the ICU and over to JC's bed.

 

            Amanda picked up his hand as the nurse left to watch his monitors at the nurses' station.

 

            "Hey babe," she said as she raised his hand to her lips and gave it a soft kiss.  "Your parents are here.  They seem really nice.  Wait, scratch that, they must be really nice because you and your brother and sister have turned out great."  She smiled and shook her head.  "Justin and Gen will be here in a few hours.  They were finally able to leave LA around two-thirty.  Estimated arrival time, around ten.  Joey will be here around noon."  She sighed.  "Lance may be coming home after all.  The news is reporting difficulty with financing the trip or something like that and there are rumors the Russians are going to kick him out.  He'll know more in a day or two.  Jive's keeping the media at bay.  No one knows you're here, yet."  She said with a small laugh knowing it would only be a matter of time before his whereabouts would be known by the media.  She would actually be surprised if a few fans didn't find out before the media.  It seemed the fans were always one step ahead of everyone, including the guys it seemed sometimes.  "The docs are releasing me tomorrow.  I guess I'll be getting a hotel or something.  The highway patrol brought all our stuff late last night.  They've pretty much told me that my car's probably totaled."  Amanda noticed the nurse motion to her time was almost up.  "When I come back, I'll bring your MP3 player, if it still works, so you won't have to listen to all the machines around you."  She brought his hand to her lips again.  "I love you," she said as she put his hand back on the bed and brushed a few chunks of hair off his forehead.  Using the bed rail for support, she stood up and leaned over.  "Please wake up soon," she said softly and then gently kissed his forehead.  "We miss you."

 

            Amanda sat back down in her wheelchair and moved towards the door.  The nurse from before met her before she exited the ICU.  "It looks like our theory is correct," the nurse said with a smile.  "The doctor will come out and explain more in a bit," she finished as she put a hand on Amanda's shoulder.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love jc hospital drunkjc solojc