Author's Chapter Notes:

So, once again, thanks for reading.  I’ve been following a “writing pet peeves” post on a message board and have realized I’m not being an appreciative writer by begging for reviews and not commenting on reviews left for me.  So, from this point forward, if you want to leave a review, that’s great, if you don’t, that’s fine too, but I will start responding to all reviews I receive.  So anywho, with that out of the way, please read and enjoy!

 

-me

             “JC, is everything ok.” Amanda asked over a week later.  She had just returned from work where she was filling in for the sales receptionist who was on maternity leave.  After two weeks of nothing but bumming around his house or going to PT, she was thankful to get out and do something productive again.

            “Yeah, I’ve just got a lot on my mind,” he replied as he continued to stare at the mixing board in front of him.  He had just returned from New York City for the MTV VMA’s the previous night and had locked himself in his home studio and hadn’t emerged for over twelve hours.

            Amanda pulled a chair close to him and sat down.  “Do you want to talk about it?”

            He looked over at her.  “No, not really,” he said quietly.”  Amanda could see the conflict in his eyes as he ran his hand lightly over her cheek.

            She took his hand in hers, “Ok, but you know I’m here if you need me,” she replied as she stood up.

            “I know.  Thanks,” he said as he turned back to the board in front of him.

            Amanda hobbled out of the studio and back into the kitchen.  As she sat on a stool at the bar eating a snack, the phone rang.  “Hello,” she answered.

            “Manda, Gen.”

            “Hey, how was the trip out west?”  Justin had headed to the west coast to prepare for his upcoming album release.  He had premiered his first single at the VMAs two days prior.

            “It was fine, nothing beats flying in a private jet.”  She paused for a few seconds.  “Um, how’s JC?”

            “Ya know, I was going to ask you about him, whether or not something happened while he was gone.  He’s been so quiet and reclusive since he got back.  Did something happen?”

            “Yeah, he and Justin got into it majorly about his solo album.”

            “I thought JC was supportive.”

            “Oh, he was, but when Jace asked J about his thoughts on making his own album, J didn’t seem to be as enthusiastic.”

            “Huh?  That doesn’t sound like Justin.”

            “I know.  I think it just came out wrong and JC just asked at a bad time.  Justin’s been so stressed over the single dropping and everything else, he hasn’t been himself.  Even Lynn’s noticed it and you know how close those two are.”

            “I know.  Thanks for filling me in.  I’ll give him his space, hopefully they’ll work it out,” Amanda said and the two friends continued to talk about the VMAs.

 

 

*        *        *        *        *

 

            "Yeah, some friend you are.  Thanks for nothing," JC yelled furiously as he slammed the phone into its cradle a couple days later.  He gripped the sides of the counter top so tight his knuckles turned white.  He hung his head and uttered several expletives.  A few seconds later, he picked up the coffee mug next to him and threw it towards the nearest wall and only cringed slightly as it shattered into a million pieces.

            "JC," Amanda yelled as she entered the kitchen. "Are you ok," she asked as she surveyed him pacing angrily the length of the island.  "What did Justin do this time," she asked tentatively as she stood at the doorway.

            "More like what he won't do," he spat with fury.  "That egotistical son of a…."

            "JC, don’t' say anything you're going to regret," she interrupted.  She was ignored.

            "…a bitch, won't go to Jive about my album.  My so-called best friend of the past decade is leaving me high and dry so he can have the spotlight to himself, again.  'It wouldn't be in my best interests right now to say anything since they're taking such a big chance on me'," JC mimicked as he continued to pace.  "Big chance my ass.  He knows he's got this in the bag.  They know his album is going to do well because the fans will flock to the store and buy it because he's Justin of *Nsync.  And you know, if it weren't for the rest of us, he wouldn't be in the position he's in.  But instead of helping one of his 'brothers' out, he doing everything he can to promote his own agenda."

            The phone rang.  They both looked at it.  Amanda moved on the third ring.  "Hello," she answered quietly.  "Yeah, hold on."  She turned to JC who was staring intently out the window.  "It's Justin."

            He turned and the look on his face, a look of pure hatred, shocked her.

            "Justin, yeah, he can't come to the phone right now, do you want me to give him a message?"  She listened.  "Yeah, will do.  Say 'hi' to Gen for me," she finished before hanging up.  She turned back to JC.  "He said he'll call back later."

            "Whatever," JC responded absently as he walked out the back door.

            Amanda just watched him pace around the back yard for a minute before getting the broom and mop from the utility closet and started cleaning up the remains of JC's morning coffee.

            Over the next week, JC refused to take or return any of Justin's calls.

            "Gen, it's not my place to say anything.  This is between the two of them… Yes, I can understand J's position, but I also see JC's and I refuse to take sides or say anything, yet… Why?  Because I don't want to get involved in the business side of the music…  Yes, I know it's affecting his personal life.  Trust me, I wish the old JC were back. He and J have been friends for so long and if it were just about something petty, I'd say something, but right now JC feels the world is against him and I don’t want him feeling that about me.  They've been friends for too long to let this ruin it, it'll blow over eventually, I'm sure of it…" and the two friends talked about the latest fashion trends they had seen.

            Another week passed and JC continued to give Justin the silent treatment.

            "So, I was thinking about grilling fish tonight," Amanda said as she leaned on the doorjamb to JC's office.

            "Sounds good," he responded absently as he looked at papers on his desk.

            "And I want to try out a new recipe for pasta salad with grilled asparagus?"

            "Sure," came an equally absent response.

            "And making an apple pie for dessert."

            "Ok," he turned to the next page.

            "And the sky is green."

            "That's nice."

            "And I invited Gen and Justin," she tested.

            JC's head shot up.  "Absolutely not, I refuse to give him any of my food," he replied as his business line rang.

            "Are you going to answer that?"

            "No, it's probably Justin," he answered as the machine picked up and played the outgoing message.

            "JC, it's Dallas Austin again.  Give me a call about that project we talked about a while ago.  I need a final answer in a few days."

            "Don’t you want Justin?  He's the golden boy, can't do anything wrong right now," JC yelled at the machine.  "Soundtrack my ass," he grumbled.

            Amanda took a deep breath and hoped she wouldn't regret what she was about to do.  "JC, I love you, but you're being an ass," she said bluntly.

            "Excuse me," JC looked at her in shock.

            "You heard me.  This thing between you and Justin has gone too far.  You've been best friends for ten years and you're going to let some record company politics ruin your friendship?"

            "It's not politics, he won't talk to them because of his own agenda."

            "Why should he talk to them?  It's not his record contract to win.  It's yours, fight for it."

            "What do you think I've been doing the past month?  I've talked to them.  Johnny's talked to them.  Potential producers have talked to them.  They won't listen."

            "So stop talking and show them you deserve a contract."

            "Yeah, like what?  I can't exactly do anything without a contract."

            "Oh yea, what about Only Artist?  What about Dallas' offer," she said as she pointed to the answering machine.

            "That's a soundtrack."

            "So?  I know of at least four soundtracks you've been on and I'm sure I can think of two or three more if you give me a minute.  Not to mention, one of those songs was nominated for an Oscar," she pointed out.

            "Soundtracks don't get much play Amanda."

            "'Music of my Heart' did, Madonna's song for Austin Powers did.  While most don't, a lot do, so make something that will.  Your fans will love anything you would put out.  Guerrilla market it.  Show up at radio stations and just let them play it.  You’re JC of *Nsync, they’ll jump at the chance to play something new from you.  Talk it up any time you have a chance.  Once you get it out there, the fans will eat it up and Jive will have to listen and consider a contract.  And if they’re foolish enough not to give you a contract, I’m sure someone else will."

            "But what if it doesn't work?"

            "You won't know until you try."

            "Do you think I can do this?"

            "I know you can.  I have faith in you,” Amanda said and turned and left the room.

            JC just sat and stared out the window. He picked up the phone.

            “Hey, you ok by yourself for a couple of days,” JC asked as he entered the kitchen half an hour later.

            “Yeah, why,” Amanda asked curiously as she chopped the vegetables for the pasta salad.

            “Because I’m going up to Virginia Beach to hang out with Dallas.”           

            Amanda turned with a smile on her face.  “Good for you.  When are you leaving?”

            JC hung his head, “As soon as I pack.  There’s a flight up there in two hours.  Rain check on dinner?”

            “Absolutely,” she replied.

 

*        *        *        *        *

           

            He smiled as he stood in the doorway to his room several nights later.  Amanda was lying on her stomach with Hodge curled up in the middle of her back.  Podge was lying next to her and resting her head on Amanda’s pillow.  The puppy raised her head, looked at JC for a moment and settled back down.

            “How was the trip,” Amanda asked sleepily as JC entered the room.  Hodge stood and stretched, jumped off the bed and ran to his feet.  He leaned down and gave her a light scratch between the ears.

            “Shhhh, go back to sleep, I didn’t mean to wake you,” he said quietly as he stepped out of his shoes and jeans and crawled into bed and pulled her close.

            “I don’t mind being wakened,” she said as she snuggled close.  “Did y’all get what you wanted?”

            “Yeah, I think so.  My part’s done, it’s up to Dallas now, but I think it’ll be perfect for the movie.”

            “Good,” she said softly as she drifted back to sleep.

            When Amanda woke the next morning, JC was already up.  After taking a quick shower, she searched the house for him.  As she entered the studio, she was mesmerized by the beats of the track that was playing.

 

And I say
I-I-I
I can't lose to you, no
I-I-I
Whoa, yea...

She was disco lights on a Friday night
She moves across the floor
(Sugar)
She was oh so tight like dynamite
Blowin' me up with her love
She was on the floor with me all night long
(Yea)
I just can't get enough
She was uh-uh-oh, uh-uh-oh
Blowin' me up with her love

 

            She leaned against the doorjamb and continued to listen.  “Well, now that’s a sound I haven’t heard before,” she said when it was finished.

            JC jumped slightly in his chair and turned around to look at her.  “You don’t like it,” he questioned. 

            “No, I don’t like it at,” she said with a shake to her head as she walked over and sat in his lap.

            “What’s wrong with it,” he asked as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

            “Oh, nothing’s wrong with it,” she replied.

            “But you said you didn’t like it.”

            “That’s right.  I don’t like it,” she paused.  “I love it,” she continued with a grin.

            “Woman, you just about gave me a heart attack,” he said with an exasperated tone.

            “Yeah, I know,” she replied as she captured his lips and kissed him deeply.

            “What was that for,” he asked breathlessly when they broke their embrace.

            “Because I missed you.  Now what’s going to happen with it?”

            “Well, once Dallas gets the final mix done, we’re going to get the radio stations to play it.  You had a great idea, thank you for pushing me to do this,” he answered.

            “You’re welcome. Um,”, she started but stopped wanting to choose the right words.

            “What?”

            “Not trying to ruin your good mood, which might I add I’ve missed, but have you talked with Justin since you left,” she asked.

            He took a breath.  “No, not yet.  I need to call him today and apologize to him.  I shouldn’t have taken out my anger and frustration with the record company on him.  You and he were right, it’s my battle to fight, not his, and I shouldn’t have brought him into the middle of it all.”

            “Good, I’m glad you feel that way because he and Gen are going to be here this afternoon for a cookout.”

            “How did you know I wasn’t still mad at him?”

            “Because I know you had a lot of pent up anger and frustration and being the creative type person you are, going and seeing Dallas was going to relieve some of that stress.”

            “You know what else would help me relieve my stress,” he replied with a seductive raise of his eyebrows.

            “Yeah, that’s not going to happen,” she said with a smile and a kiss.  “I swear, I’m beginning to think all you do is dream about sex all day long,” she exclaimed as she stood up and walked towards the door,

            “Just about you,” he called out as she left the room.   A line of lyric popped into his mind and he grabbed his notebook to write it down before he forgot it.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love jc hospital drunkjc solojc