Author's Chapter Notes:

Hi,  just wanted to say thanks to everyone who's given a review.  I really do appreciate any and all feedback I receive.

            The knock came at 8am.  Amanda groaned.  "This is not happening again," she groaned as she rolled out of bed.  "I swear I'm never going to be able to sleep in on my day off again," she said as she pulled on her terry cloth robe.  She was getting a sense of déjà vu and hated to open the door for fear of who was going to be on the other side.  She peered out the peephole and groaned.  She opened the door a crack and peered out at JC.

 

            "I just wanted to say I'm sorry, for everything," he said sincerely as he held a small but eloquent bouquet out to her.

 

            Amanda sighed.  Against her better judgment she opened the door and motioned him in.  She took the flowers as he passed her.  "Thanks," she said as she walked to the kitchen and pulled out a vase.

 

            "Did I wake you," he said as he looked around her small and meagerly furnished apartment.

 

            "Nah, I just love the fresh out of bed look," she said sarcastically.

 

            "Sorry," he replied as he turned to the kitchen.  She stood there arranging the flowers, and as he watched, his heart ached for her.  He wanted to reach out and feel her body against his again, to run his fingers through her hair.  He wanted desperately to kiss her again.  He had never experience a kiss as powerful as the one they had shared a week ago and he was haunted by it.  "Is there anything I can do to make things right between us," he asked as he sat down on her couch.

 

            She turned to him.  He looked great and she could smell him from across the room.  His shirt was just tight enough for her to see the muscles in his arms and chest.  She longed to be held by those arms again, to feel as safe and protected again as she felt the week before.  "JC," she said, "there's nothing you can do.  I don't want anything from you.  My car's fixed; it looks good as new again.  There's nothing more to be done."  Afraid of what she'd do if she were closer to him, she stayed in the kitchen.

 

            "Can I take you to dinner," he asked hopefully.

 

            "No," she said bluntly.

 

            "Why," he asked.  Again, she could hear the hurt in his voice.

 

            "Because I don't have time for a relationship right now," she answered.

 

            "Not even just as friends?"

 

            "JC, you and I both know that would never work out.  That kiss last week showed that," she said.  For the first time in a week she admitted the kiss actually meant something.

 

            "But I thought you said it meant nothing," he pointed out.  "Did she just admit it meant something," he thought.

 

            She could see in his face what he was thinking.  "I meant nothing, to me.  But it obviously meant something to you," she lied.  His face fell.

 

            "If I promise to be on my best behavior, can I take you out," he asked one last time.

 

            "JC, I can't.  I just don't have the time or money," she replied.  She was going to be strong.

 

            "And if I paid?"

 

            "Then we'd be right back in the same boat.  I'm not going to take anything from you," she said.  "If he doesn't quite, I'm going to end up saying 'yes'," she thought.

 

            "Fine," he said as he got up.  "I meant what I said.  I'm sorry for everything," he continued as he walked to the door and opened it.  Just as he stepped out, he turned to her.  "And that dinner invitation is always open," he said.  He then turned and shut the door. 

            Amanda stood in the kitchen as tears came to her eyes again.  She wanted to love him, but still did not know what his intentions truly were.  She wiped her eyes and headed back to bed.  

*        *        *        *        *

            Two days later, when she came home from her normal morning shift at the hotel, she found a note on the door.  It was a furniture company saying they had tried to deliver something.  A small smile played on her lips.  She knew what it was and she was not going to give into his game again.

 

            "Yes, I need to speak to the manager please," she said to the receptionist at the furniture store when she answered on the third ring.

 

            "May I ask what this is regarding," the receptionist replied coldly.

 

            "Yes, it is concerning a purchase Mr. Chasez has made," Amanda answered. 

 

            The tone of the receptionist immediately warmed.  "One moment ma'am."

 

            After several minutes, a strong male voice came over the line.  "Yes sir, is there a problem?"  He clearly thought it was JC calling.

            

            "It's ma'am, sir.  Actually, I need to refuse delivery of a purchase Mr. Chasez has made," Amanda replied politely.

 

            "Sorry ma'am.  What do you mean refuse?  Is there a problem with it," the manager asked, taken aback that someone would refuse furniture from his store.

 

            "I don't know sir, I've never seen it.  But I cannot accept his gift."

 

            "Well the furniture is paid for in full.  And it's quite lovely.  Are you sure you don't want it?"

 

            "I'm quite sure.  Please refund Mr. Chasez his money."

 

            The manager hesitated.  He had been warned this situation might arise.  "I'm sorry, I can't do that.  I have specific orders not to do a refund for this purchase."

 

            Amanda was beginning to understand what JC had done.  "Ok.  Then please deliver it to this address," she said as she rattled off an address.

 

            "That's different that the delivery address Mr. Chasez specified," the manager pointed out.

 

            "Yes sir.  The address is to the Goodwill regional office.  When it is delivered, please send a receipt of the donation to Mr. Chasez," she said.          

 

            "Well, hmmm," the manager stalled.

 

            "Did Mr. Chasez give any specific instructions as to whether or not the furniture could be donated to charity?" 

 

            "Well no…" 

            "Good then, it's settled.  I'll be calling Goodwill tomorrow to check on the donation.  Thank you and have a great day Mr. Vaughn," Amanda answered cordially before hanging up the phone.   

*        *        *        *        *

            When JC received the receipt of donation in the mail three days later, he shook his head.

 

            "What did she do now," Joey asked.  He had seen the look in JC's eyes and immediately knew the paper in his hands had something to do with Amanda.

 

            "Oh, just donated the furniture I bought for her to Goodwill," JC replied with a bit of a smile.  Joey was surprised he was being as good-natured as he was.

 

            "Ok, you're taking this too well," Joey said. 

 

            "It just means I need to up the stakes."  

*        *        *        *        *

            It was 5pm and Amanda was standing in front of the refrigerator trying to decide what she wanted for dinner when there was a knock at her door.

 

            "Hello," she said with a smile as she opened the door.  The gentleman on the other side of the door was dressed in a tuxedo.

 

            "Yes, these are for you," the man said as he handed a nicely wrapped box to her.

 

            "Thank you," she said and then closed the door.

 

            She sat the box on her makeshift coffee table.  She carefully unwrapped the box.  Inside were three black velvet boxes: one that was large and flat, a medium cube, and a smaller cube.  They were stacked on one another and secured with a silver ribbon.  She lifted the boxes out of the box and set them on the coffee table.  She undid the ribbon. 

 

            She opened the first large box.  It contained a delicate pearl and diamond necklace and bracelet set.   She sat the box aside and reached for the larger of the two cubes.  She opened it to find a diamond and pearl encrusted watch.  She sat that next to the first box and reached for the third box.  This one contained a pair of large diamond solitaire earrings.  She sighed as she sat them down next to the other boxes and then just stared at them. "Well, if I sold them, I wouldn't have to worry about the bills for a year," she thought.  She then shook her head, "I can't believe I just thought that.  If I did that, he'd win."  She quickly closed the boxes and placed them in the large box they came in.

 

            Grabbing her purse and the boxes, she left the apartment.  Forty minutes later and three wrong turns, Amanda finally found her way to JC's house.  He lived in one of the exclusive gated communities but she had no problems with the security officer at the guardhouse at the community's entrance.  She was told she was welcome anytime, day or night, per Mr. Chasez's instructions.

 

            As she pulled up the driveway, she was amazed at the house.  It was a large, two-story stone mansion.  The driveway looked to be paved in the same stone as the house. There was a small fountain in the circular drive.  She counted seven expensive cars in the drive, not to mention what the five-car garage held.  The grounds were well appointed and immaculate.  She caught a glimpse of a lake and a dock behind the house.  She shook her head.  She estimated the house probably cost more than she would ever make in her lifetime.  She parked her car at the apex of the drive and got out.  She walked to the passenger's side of the car and took out the box with the jewelry and walked to the door.  From the outside, she heard music and voices.  "Great, he's having a party," she thought just before she pushed the bell.  A minute later, when no one answered, she rang it again.  She waited another minute before ringing it a third time.  When no one answered, she checked the door.  It was unlocked.  "Well, here goes nothing," she said as she pushed open the door.  "Hello," she called as she shut the door behind her.

 

            The music was much louder than she expected, almost to the point it hurt her ears.  She knew then why no one answered the door.  As she walked to the back of the house, to point she thought the voices were coming from, she noted how well decorated the house was.  There was marble everywhere and the foyer was two stories tall with a grand staircase leading up to the second floor.  She also saw a living room and a dining room, set with crystal and china, on her way to what seemed to be the kitchen.  When she entered, she was not prepared for the scene before her.

 

            Several other members of *Nsync there, leaning on the counters, talking and laughing.  Other people were there, including a young lady chasing a laughing toddler.  Amanda guessed they were Kelly and Brianna.  She slowly scanned the room for JC, finally finding his electric hair at the far end of the room, his back facing her.  Her heart skipped a beat.  She then noticed he was not alone.  Between his legs, she saw long, skinny female legs.  Just as she was about to speak, he turned.  He and the blonde were engaged in a kiss.  Amanda's heart fell and it was all she could do to keep the tears from spilling onto her cheeks.

 

            Joey saw Amanda and the hurt on her face, and quickly cleared his throat.  "Um, C, you've got a visitor," he said and turned the music down a bit.

 

            "Take a number, I'm busy," JC responded finally after he and the blonde broke for air.

 

            "Jace, it's Amanda," Joey said harshly.  He hated Amanda was being subjected to JC's moronic act.

 

            "No she isn't, she had to work tonight," he replied, never really breaking from his embrace with the blonde.

 

            "No I didn't," Amanda called out.  "My schedule changed."

 

            JC turned and looked like a deer caught in headlights.  "Um, Amanda, I can explain," JC slurred as he stumbled towards Amanda.  It was clear to her that he was intoxicated.

 

            "Yeah, you're drunk," she said as she shoved the box forcefully into his chest.  He fought to keep his balance.  "You can take your expensive gift and shove it where the sun doesn't shine!"  She quickly turned.

 

            "Wait," JC called as he dropped the box and reached for her.  He caught her arm with both of his but lost his balance, falling on the floor and nearly taking Amanda with him.  "I can explain…," he said giving her a sloppy version of his best smile.  The same smile that usually melted Amanda's heart.

 

            "Save it, you're pathetic," she said as she freed her arm from his grasp.  "And to think I was actually going to take you up on your dinner invitation.  I now see you for who you really are."  She turned back around to leave.

 

            "Wait," JC said again as he scrambled unsuccessfully to gain his footing.

 

            "Don't even bother," she called back.  She then turned back around and faced him.  The whole room saw the fury in her eyes.  She placed both hands on her hips and bent down so she was inches from JC's face.  His breath reeked of alcohol.  "JC, if you ever, EVER, come near me again, call me, or send me anything, I swear, as everyone in this room is my witness, I will slap you with a restraining order and stalking charges so fast, you and your lawyers won't know what happened.  Do I make myself clear," she spat at him.

 

            JC didn't answer as the alcohol in his system took its final effect and he passed out.  Amanda turned and stormed out of the house, slamming the heavy front door behind her.  She sped out of the driveway, feeling as if she weren't able to get away from the situation fast enough.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love jc hospital drunkjc solojc