Over the next week, JC sent Amanda flowers twice.  Nothing overwhelming, just enough to show he was thinking about her.  They also talked on the phone once and decided, because of their hectic schedules and the time difference, to start exchanging e-mail.  At first they were the usual bland "How's work" letters.  But soon they started to open up to each other.  He asked several times for a date, and each time she turned him down.  He was still thinking of how to fulfill her request. 

 

            Also during this time, Amanda told their whole story to her mother.  She thought her daughter was crazy.  "But Mom," Amanda tried to explain for the fifth time that week, "I don't want his money.  I want him.  I want to know his love, and affection, and his hopes, and dreams, his thoughts.  I don't want his Benjamins."

 

            "But, would y'all have even met if he weren't famous," her mother pointed out.

 

            "I don't know.  We may, we may have not.  But being famous is not who he is, it's what he does.  And I need to see that he knows this before I can commit to a relationship."

 

            "So you do want to be with him."

 

            "Yes, I've been telling you that."

 

            "Well, don't play with his head too long or you're going to lose him."

 

            "I know mom," Amanda said. She smiled knowing JC was going to be home in five days and he said he had a big surprise for her.  "Listen, I've got to go to work.  Give Dad a hug for me?"

 

            "You work too hard," her mother pointed.

 

            "If I didn't work hard, I'd be out on the streets.  I love you." 

 

            "I love you too," her mother said and then hung up her phone.  She turned her attention back to the TV where she had been watching the Rosie O'Donnell Show.  A thought popped into her head and she smiled.  If it was going to work, she was going to need to get in contact with JC.  Then she remembered she had the password to her daughter's e-mail account….   

*        *        *        *        *

            A week later there was a knock at Amanda's door.  She had worked that morning and had been home long enough to change into some shorts and a tee-shirt.  She opened the door and smiled.

            "Hi," JC said with a smile.  His hands  

were behind his back.  He looked as if he were fighting for control over something.

 

            "Hey, how was your trip," she asked as he walked through the door.  He made sure to not show his back to her.  She knew something was up.

 

            "Oh, it was good," he replied.  "Before you say anything else, I've got something for you," he said as he pulled his arms out from behind his back.  In each hand he held a small ball of fur.  "They're for you," he said happily as he handed her the animals he held.  One was a black and white kitten and the other was a brown dog of some kind.  "They're from the humane society.  They're both about eight weeks old, nearly house broken and they don't know what breed the puppy is, but they say she's going to be small."  He smiled brightly as she held them up and inspected them. 

 

            "How did you know," she asked with a smile as they walked over to the couch.  She sat the animals down on the middle cushion so she could inspect them closer.

 

            "Well, last week you said you got lonely at nights and since I figured me moving in wasn't the best idea…"  She made a corny smile at the suggestion.  "…I figured these two were the next best thing."  He reached over and petted the kitten.  "And so I had Joey go check out a couple of the shelters.  He told me of a few, sent me some pictures and I went and picked out the two I liked the best this morning."

 

            "JC, this is great.  Thank you," she said as she reached over and squeezed his hand and smiled.

 

            "So, what are you going to name them," he asked as he held up the puppy.  It started to lick his chin and he laughed.

 

            Amanda loved to hear him laugh.  And she smiled at the sound.  He looked so free at that moment.  "I'm not sure.  Since they're going to grow up together, their names should compliment the other.  Let's see…," she said as she picked up the kitten and looked at it.  "This one is a mix of black and white.  And that one," she said indicating the puppy, "is a mixed breed."

 

            "Heinz 57 as they said at the shelter," JC pointed out.  "How about Heinz 57 and K.C. Masterpiece?"  Amanda laughed.

 

            "Nope, we've had too many animals in the family named after foods.  Besides, could you imagine what the neighbors would think if I walked around calling out ‘Here Heinz.  Come Masterpiece'?  They'd be like 'Lady the bar-b-q place is down the road…'."  JC laughed.  "Oh, I've got it," she said with a bright smile as she held the kitten in front of her.  "You will now forever be known as Hodge.  And you," she said as she reached for the puppy.  She held hr up and she immediately started licking her chin.  "You," she managed through her laughter, "you will be Podge.  Hodge 'n' Podge."  She looked at JC and smiled. 

 

            He smiled back.  "Perfect."

 

            "Now, we have to go shopping," she said as she picked up the animals.  "I bet you babies are hungry," she said in a baby voice.

 

            "I've got some stuff in the car," JC said a bit sheepishly.  "Just enough to get them started.  Food, beds, a collar and leash for Podge.  Oh, and as part of their adoption fee, the humane society will take care of all the shots their first year as well as the cost for them to be fixed."

 

            "Great," she said and then her face fell.

 

            "What's wrong?"

 

            "Can you pet sit for me," she asked with a concerned face.

 

            "Sure, anytime."

 

            "Can you pet sit for me next week," she asked with the same concerned face.

 

            "Why, where are you going," he said, playing dumb.

 

            "My mom's dragging me to New York.  Something about a mother and daughter makeover or something.  She was so happy about it I couldn't turn her down.  And work was very understanding about it, surprisingly," she said as her thoughts wondered off.

 

            "No problem.  When will you be leaving?"

 

            "A week from today, I have an early flight so can I bring them over the night before?"

 

            "Absolutely," he answered.  He was going to need to have someone pet sit the pets he was sitting for, but was sure Tyler or Chris wouldn't mind.

 

            "Great," she said as the Podge started licking her chin again.  "Something tells me this one is hungry."

 

            "And that's my cue.  I'll be right back," as he headed to the door.  He returned a few minutes later with the essential supplies he had bought.  They spent the next few minutes feeding the animals.  JC let out a big yawn.  "I think that's my cue to leave."

 

            "Yeah, I'm sure you're still jet lagged.  I'll talk to you later this week?"

 

            "Certainly.  Have a good night," he said as he moved to the door. 

 

            "You too," she said with a wave as he let himself out.

   *        *        *        *        *

            He called her mother when he got home.  "Is everything all set," he asked.

 

            "Yes, she doesn't suspect a thing.  Or if she does, she isn't letting on about it," then she paused.  "JC are you sure you want this story told on TV.  You don't have to have your private life aired," her mother said with concern.

 

            JC smiled at her concern.  "Don't worry, I've gotten everything handled.  Thank you for this, it was a great idea."

 

            "I just want to see my daughter happy, and even though y'all have started out a bit rocky, something is telling me that you are exactly what she needs."

 

            "Thank you," JC replied with a smile.

 

            "Did you finally figure out her request?"

 

            "I think so."

 

            "So, what is it?"

 

            "Ahh, that's for me to know…."

 

            "And me to find out…"

 

            "Yes ma'am." 


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love jc hospital drunkjc solojc