Author's Chapter Notes:

Here's chapter one, I know its been along time coming. But I made a banner and a chacacter list.

Banner: http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss8/classicbeauty_02/tmhcc.jpg

Character List:

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss8/classicbeauty_02/tpbcc.jpg

Pics from: U-P.net, Word of Justin, Lauren London.net and radom finds.

Enough chit chat, please enjoy your read,

Dani

I Do: “But to Who?!”

Memphis, Tennessee

March 24, 2006

Earlier that Night

Happy 50th Anniversary!” the crowd ballroom shouts as the older couple walked through the door.

“Oh my goodness-what a surprise, you guys shouldn’t have!” The older woman gashes as one hand covers her heart and the other clutches her husband’s hand, “But I’m glad you did.” Mina Cambridge says with a wink, which collected laughs throughout the room. The coward parted throughout the room; people stopping to congratulate the couple.

“Mina and Jeffery, congratulations on make 50 years together.” Angela Parker said as she hugged them.

“Thank you sweetie, you know I’ve been miserable every since I said ‘I do’” the salt and peppered hair man said with a smile his blue-gray eye twinkled.

“Tell me something I don’t know,” Anthony chimes in teasingly.

“Now Papa and Daddy don’t say that you know it’s been best years of your lives.” Lorraine says smiling as she walks up to her parents and the couple she consider her own grandparents with younger man not too far behind her. “Ain’t that right Mama and Mimi?”

“That’s right honey,” Mina says welcoming the young woman with a hug and kisses her cheek.

“Awe there’s my baby girl,” Jeffery says looking at her from arm’s length once his wife had let go. Taking in the short black and white dress she wear, her long hair put up in a bun with wispy bangs covering the left side of her face, before pulling her into a warm hug. “Looking absolutely gorgeous right now, but she does always.”

“Thanks, you don’t look too bad yourself.” She says welcoming his hug and winks at him as she pulls away; she greets her mother and father with kiss on the cheek before stepping back to stand next to her boyfriend.

Tonight the Parker family was throwing a surprise party celebrating the 50th anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Jeffery Cambridge at one of Memphis elite country clubs. The Cambridge’s have been close with the Parkers’ ever since Anthony and Angela moved in next door to them with their two young kids the summer of 1985. The older couple never had any children and adopted the younger family as their own; helping the parents by babysitting three-year-old Lorraine while seven-year-old Jared went to school and watched him after school. Lorraine only being a toddler at the time could never say Mina’s name right, which is where the name Mimi and Papa formed. Four years later Mina and Jeffery became the Godparents of Andrew, the third and last addition to the Parker family.

 “It’s so beautiful in here; I absolutely love what you all did with the color. Adding some red, my favorite,” Mimi says while looking around the room, her hand flew over her heart as a smile spread across her face. The theme was black and white, with deep red roses and other rich red flowers to add a little touch of color. Lori and her mother had been planning it out for months, and the finish product was better than either had dreamed. Glancing back at her granddaughter she noticed a familiar young man standing next to her. He was clean-shaven tall hot cup of creamy- sugar coffee, with piercing grey eyes.  “Adam, boy don’t you hide from me!”

 “Ms. Mina, it’s good to see you too.” a deep chuckle escapes his throat as he draws her into a hug and does the same to Angela. “Mr. Jeffery, it’s always a pleasure”

“You too, son” Papa says taking Adam’s outreach hand and shaking it firmly, “how are you doing young fella?”

“Great sir, thank you. But more importantly congratulations on fifty years,”

“It ain’t easy that much I will tell ya, but you gotta work at it.” The older man tells him, “Nothing like now, where you can just get a divorce when you don’t like the way she brushes her teeth anymore.”

“I totally agree, marriage is union of love, for better or worst. My parents were together for almost thirty-two years before my father pasted away.” Adam says as he wrapped an arm around Lori’s waist pulling her closer to him. Who had been laughing at her Papa’s words instantly leaned into her boyfriend and placing her hand onto his stomach, only for her laughter to be lodge in her throat with the next words that came out of the younger man, “I know I want long years for Lorraine and I.”

‘Did he, her boyfriend that is, just reference them to long years in marriage?’ Lori wondered as she pulled back from his hold slightly to see him looking down at her all adoringly. She accepted his peak on the lips when he leaned down and just tried to shrug off the feeling she just got.

“There she is, Ms. Hollywood, looking absolutely gorgeous.” the voice had come from behind her; she knew it from anywhere, one Lorraine known all her life. Before she could turn to look, Justin strolled around her with Trace not too far behind, kissing Mimi’s cheek he pulls her into a warm hug.  “If only I was ten years younger.”

Mean while Trace stop to hug and greet everyone else, as the duo continue to flirt.

“Awe my boy,” the older woman kisses his cheek and pulls away grinning from ear to ear, “and I twenty years older.”  

“But I lost you to a good man.” He says with a wink and gives Jeffery a hug, “a well deserving one. Congratulation on fifty years; just know it could have been me.”

“Now what did I tell you about putting the moves on my wife, youngin’?”

“To have Cameron waiting for you on the sidelines, so she could help mend your broken heart?”

“Papa, no you didn’t!” Lori jumps in with surprise, while Justin greeted her parents with a hug.

“Of course not-well look baby girl it was a harmless joke.” He the older man blushed.

“And blame it on me causes it was my idea; I was trying to get Mina all to myself.” Justin says to his close friend while scooping her up into a warm hug and a kiss on the cheek. “What can I say; I’m just selfish like that.”

“Mmm tell me something I don’t know.” Lorraine cracked back with a smile. “Speaking of Cam, where is she?”

“She had to go back to LA to finish the shoot. But she sends her love,” he says before greeting Adam, “Hey man, it’s good to see you.”

Shaking his hand Adam nods, “You too, I keep missing you the last few times, being out on business and all.”

“Hey you know I understand, all too well.” Justin chuckles. However, as the DJ put on an oldie but a goodie, people begin to filter towards the dance floor and he reached for Mina’s hand, “May I steal, this young lady for a dance?”

“Of course darling” she responded before her husband could, taking his hand and pulling him towards the dance floor; leaving the others in laughter behind.  Soon Lorraine’s parents went out to the dance floor with Papa and Trace not too far with some young women on their arm, leaving Lorraine and Adam behind.

“There’s my picture perfect couple,”

Adam was just about to lead Lori onto the dance floor when the voice had come from behind, glancing back their greeted by the smiling face of Joyce Thomas.

“Hey mama,” Adam said pulling his mother into a hug and kisses her cheek.

“Ms. Joyce, “ Lori greets the older black woman with a hug. “I’m so glad you could make it.”

“Me too, sweetie,” pulling back from the hug, she smiles at her. “And please, call me Mama Joyce.”

“Yes ma’am,” Lori smiles not really knowing what else to say, sure she and Adam had been dating for two and half years, give or take a month or two, but in all those years she never really been close to Ms. Thomas. Do not get her wrong, it was not a hate relationship; but there was like a slightly disapproving towards her from the older woman. She did not know what it was, maybe because Adam was her first child and only son. Every since his father died, he has been the man in his mother and younger sisters life. Lorraine respected this and never tried to come between.

“We are here to help Jeffery and Mina, celebrate fifty wonderful years together. What better way than with a delicious meal.” the DJ voice fills the room as he announce dinner is ready and everyone begin to take their seats at one of the many tables surrounded the dance floor.

“So are you two excited about moving to Miami soon?” Lynn asks Adam and Lorraine once everyone had settled down and after the first course is serve.

“Yes ma’am,” Adam says from his seat next to Lynn, the couple was seating across from each other. “I really like the real estate there, beautiful properties and beaches. The business world there is great, but so is the home life.”

Lori nods in agreement, “I’ve been looking for condos or lofts not too far from the office, something small perfect for me.”

“Hopefully it will only be temporary, once we get the new department up and running smoothly,” he begins to speak again and places his over Lori’s hand that was lying on the table, “After that I don’t see why we couldn’t get a house together.” 

Plastering a smile on her face, Lori discreetly pulls her hand away from his and grabs her glass of water to take a sip. Shifting in her chair slight away from her boyfriend, not sure how to respond yet alone digest his comment.  She did not know where this was coming from; he knew how she felt about living together before marriage. It was something you just do not do. Placing the glass back on the table she lets her hand fall under the table into her lap instead.

“Awe that would be great, but after you two got married of course.” Joyce, who had insisted that Lorraine seat next to her, spoke up before going back to her salad. “Something that may not be too long away from happening”

By now, she had crossed her legs under the table and was rocking the top one back and forth.

Justin who was sitting on the other side of Lorraine, scene her discomfort and placed his hand on her knee gently squeezing it letting her know he was there, “Speaking of the firm, when is it opening?”

Letting out a slow breath, she did not even know she was holding. Lori slipped her hand on top of his giving it a light squeeze, silently thanking him for changing the subject. Turning his hand over and linked their fingers together.

“Mid May if not early June” Adam replies.

“I proud of you two,” Paul, who seated next to his wife, says with smile. “I know this a huge deal for Parker and Taylor.”

“Thank you that means a lot,” Lori finally spoke up. Being one of the associates, of Law Office of Parker and Taylor, who would be part of the move there and it did not help much that being administration daughter. Therefore, expectations were high.  She worked her ass off to be where she was, but still felt the need to do more and prove to everyone else that she deserved it. “It is, thrilling and nerve ranking all at the same time since this will be a new avenue for the firm.”

“Well I couldn’t see anyone doing a better job, sweetie.” Lynn says with a wink and a reassuring smile.

“Of course, I know you got this in the bag shortie.” Justin said in agreement with his mother.

____________

After Dinner

Lorraine was now slow dancing with Adam in the middle of the floor; he was softly talking about something in her ear, of what? Moreover, was not sure of, she was still trying to get over the suffocating feeling. That felt heavy on her chest. She had hoped that after dinner it would be better over. No such thing, Adam and Joyce had announced that Lori would be a perfect bride and wife; the conversations would always end in one day.

The waiters had been walking by the table offering champagne or taking drink orders. Lorraine had turned them down when they came around each time, not really being a drinker and all. However, once Joyce announced she just knew they would be giving her three gorgeous grandchildren, one day of course.

By than the young man could not come by fast enough with the tray of champagne flutes, but once he did Lorraine grabbed one and downed it in record time. Only to grab another one off the tray once she placed the empty one back on it; in hopes it would come her nervous.  

She woke from her daze; as she felt Adam pull away from her while saying her name. “Mmm?” she mumbles looking up at him unsure of what he had said. As her browns locked with his grey one, she slightly taken back by the look he was giving her. It was so intense, filled with love and something else she could not put her finger on. Not knowing she was going to get her answer very soon.

When the boy gets that look in his eye

 

“I said, I had planned to do this another time, but I do not want to wait anymore,” Adam said as he takes her hand and slowly going down on one knee, in the middle of the dance floor.

 

Shock is what Lori felt and it seemed as if time stood still, as the sound of whistles, soft gasps and whispers heard throughout the crowded conference/ballroom room that were now surrounding the dance floor; but drowned out from the pounding in her ears.

 

When my momma says I look good in white

 

With her stomach in knots, chest tight unable to breathe as he asked her the words every girl dreamed of…

 

What's all this talk about love?

 

All she wanted to do was wake up. Looking at the ring, he was holding out, she inwardly cringed, it was gold, gaudy, and huge; just plan hideous. 

 

I’m gonna be ready this time

 

Sure, she dreamed of those words too, ‘But not here, not that ring, not in front of all these people, not him-now! Now,’ incapable to speak as these thoughts raced through her mind, a stirring silent’s filled the room as all eyes were on her waiting for her answer.  Her families, his and let us not to forget their friends and some fellow colleague.

 

Ready, ready, ready

 

‘I meant now, of course I want to marry him…’ she weakly encouraged herself as her eyes begin to wonder for the nearest exit, ‘don’t I?’

 

 “I-“ Lorraine started as she turn her eyes to meet boyfriends just when she thought her search was over, but stopped when her eyes fell on a familiar pair of blues standing behind him and it felt like the first day of school all over again.  Her chocolate eyes were scared and unsure, his so warm and encouraging, ready for anything. Winking at her, his smile never faulted and that was all she needed before her eyes met Adams and she started again, her words soft. “I love you, I do.”

Her mind flashed back to earlier, Lorraine remembered how she felt like her life was just planned without any from her and that was why she was slowly shaking her head; easing her hand from his she backs away. “But I can’t do this, I’m sorry, I can’t marry you.”

Ready to run

As she excused herself, Lorraine didn’t know what which was worst the heartbroken look on Adams face as she left him in the center of the dance floor or the collective gasps that was heard throughout the room again, as she quickly exited the ballroom. Once outside the ballroom door she made a beeline for the elevator. Pressing the down button several times, Lori felt her eyes starting to sting with tears as she wonder what had she just done, did she just make a mistake?

Standing there waiting, she knew deep down it hurt her to leave him like that. Nevertheless, as Lori stepped onto the elevator, she knew it would hurt them worst if she said yes and did not mean it. Her breath lodge into her throat once she saw someone trying to slide in before the door close but exhaled when she noticed it was her familiar curly hair blue eyed boy.

She felt such relief as the elevator doors closed. However, nothing felt better than when Justin wordlessly enveloped his arms around her holding her close.

Silence.

That was what she need right now, too many emotions were running through her, words would only confuse her even more than she already was.

Rubbing her back and kissing the top of her head, Justin finally spoke when they made it and step onto the first floor. “Do you want me to take you home?”

“No anywhere but there.” She says while shaking her head before lifting it to look up at him, “didn’t you say you and Trace were going to some club downtown? I want to go, something up beat to keep this off my mind.”

Nodding he wipes the few tears that had escaped away from her face; leaning down Justin plants another kiss on her forehead before taking her by the hand and leading her out to towards his SUV that Trace had just pulled up.  Opening the back door, he helps her in before getting in next and taking the seat next to her.

Lorraine and Justin did not notice Adam when he stepped off the elevator or the look on his face as he took in the whole display.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Downtown Memphis

Toc Lounge

They had been at a popular hot spot in Memphis for the past hour or so, supporting one of his friends and fellow musician, Pharrell Williams and his new artist Robin Thicke hanging out in the VIP area. Robin had been on the stage once already and was about to go back up there with Pharrell. Leaning back against the plush cushion of the booth Justin watched Lori laugh at something Trace said or did, he watch as she picked up his glass and taking a sip for the millionth time.

“Stop stealing my drink, and finish your own.”

“Mmm but yours is so much better,” her eyes twinkle as she takes another sip, sure drinking was not her thing but after tonight events she was finally starting to see why people did. The alcohol relaxes your body and she could not help but welcome the fuzzy feeling cursing through her body. “What is it?”

“Mojtio.” He says while stealing his drink back

“Mojtio,” she repeats the word absent-mindedly licking her lips, brushing her bangs to the side and out of her eyes only for them to light up as familiar song starts to play, “Ooo I like this song, dance with J.” she says taking his hand in hers.

Taking a quick swig of his drink Justin shifts in his seat and shaking his head, trying to clear his mind on how sexy she had just looked then-now, “Naw I’ll sit this one out.”

She pouts but its short lived as she turns to towards their close friend, “That’s fine; Trace will dance with me, wont you?”

“Sure, come let’s go shake a tail feather.”

She squeals letting of Justin hand and taking Traces, letting him help her out the booth and down the stairs towards the dances floor. Watching them walk away he could not help but notice how she looked in that dress she was wearing. Hugging her in all the right places and showing off her tone legs. It is not as if he thought she was hot like that; Lori had always been beautiful in his eyes.

Now feeling a slight tug of jealously, he shrugged it off and had to chuckle at how much Lorraine stood out in her after five-dress hair still in a bun in a sea barely clothed girls. She seemed not to have a care in the world as she and Trace continue to dance.

“What up Memphis, it’s yo’ boy- Young! That was Rihanna sending out a SOS your way. And ladies you know what time it is…” he pauses as the girls scream, “that’s right back for his last set here is Robin Thicke.”

 “Here’s my newest single coming off my new album coming to ya’ll soon, Wanna Love U Girl, please enjoy,” Robin spoken into the mic as his band started up. “She's the kind of girl you wanna marry” 

Glancing back towards the dance floor, he sees Lori gesturing for him to join them, and he could not help but think about earlier. Justin honestly did not know what to do when Adam asked her to marry him. Sure, he heard the hints beforehand but did not think much of it. However, when he went down on one knee and asked. Justin wanted to scream he objected, but that was not the time or place for it. Therefore, he kept his cool.

To be honest he did not even know why he felt that way, maybe because he wants what is best for his friend and worried about her. Marriage was a huge step; it is not something you just jump into, dating for two or three years or not. His Lori deserved the best and only the best.  It was not as if he had feeling for Lorraine or anything like that, he had a beautiful woman who just left him that day to go back to their home in LA. He loved Cameron, they had a life together, a happy one, but no matter how much he kept telling himself that.

Justin still could not get over that antsy feeling he felt while waiting for Lorraine’s answer and it did not help much when those chocolate eyes melted when they landed on him and a look of longing he wondered or maybe be they scared. Either way it went, what had plague him the most is when it sounded like she said I do; his heart stopped and he felt the wind had been knock from him. Only to start beating when she said no, before the o could leave her lips good. He sent Trace out with his keys to get his truck, just to be ready for anything. The elevator ride he was just as relieved to be alone with her.

Before he knew what he was doing, he was downstairs, making his way through the coward towards where his two friends were dancing.

Whispering something in Trace’s ear, Justin takes Lori away from him and pulls her shorter frame closer to his taller one.

“Hey stranger,” she says while looking up at him and placing her hands on his shoulders, “I’m glad you decided to join us.”

“I couldn’t let you two have all the fun.” He winks.

Smiling Lori wraps her arms around his neck pulling his head down closer to hers letting their noses brush against each other which only makes Justin’s grip tightens around her waist as they continued to dance neither of them even missing a beat.

“Let’s go for a walk…,” he whispers into her ear as the song ended.

Nodding, Lori slowly lets her arms drop from around his neck, letting him to take her hand into his and leading her out the club.

The streets were not jammed packed with partygoers, as it was earlier that night but active with couples and friends leaving one place going to another. The sky was clear, a full moon was out and the stars were twinkling.  

This is what he loved about being at home, here in Memphis, because only here could he walk around and not have to worry about paparazzi or crazed fans. Then there was Lorraine, he could talk about anything and everything; it did not matter. Because at the end of the day he was still that young boy bugging her on the first day of school not America’s pop prince or Peoples sexiest man.  He was just a regular ole Joe.

The kind of girl you walk the whole earth for

Put her on your back and just carry

 

As they walked hand and hand down the sidewalks of downtown, quietly taking in the scenery Justin could not help but think how he missed it here and that it felt good to be home; but more so how much he missed her and how happy being here with her made him.   

“It’s so beautiful out here at night.” She whispers while looking up at the stars.

 

He nods as thoughts swirled through his mind, while linking their fingers together and started to slow down a little before coming to a full stop in front of a fountain.

 “Why are we stopping silly?” she ask glancing back at him, she let him pull her close. Unsure her brows knitted together, “What is something wrong?”

 

He just shook his head, not saying anything at all, lifted their link fingers up to his lips placing a soft kiss on the tips of her fingers before wrapping his arms around her waist and her hands went up his broad shoulders and then back down his chest only to rest there. Her scent was intoxicating, each time he would inhale a clean floral yet sweet vanilla would fill his lungs and linger.  When she's around nothing else matters 

“It is getting a bit chilly, isn’t it?” Lorraine voice was soft as she had been watching in a slight daze as she felt a slight shiver go up and down her spine, not sure if it was if it was the tingle his lips left on her finger tips or the cool night breeze, before she decide to go with the latter part. She tugs on her bottom lip with her teeth; which only made Justin pull her closer and held her tighter to him. Leaning his forehead against hers, their noses bumped each other as his blues eyes they searched her chocolate ones. “Say something, J.”

Sooner or later, someone will get at her Losing the bun it was in and let her long locks fall passed her shoulders Justin ran his fingers through her hair, “You are so beautiful,” he whispers.  Blushing she turns her head to look away. Only for Justin to gently pull her chin back to face him, brushing her bangs from her eyes his fingers softly, stroke her right cheek. Before letting the words fall from his lips without any hesitation, “Marry me.” If I don't someone else will

 

“What?” she says slightly taken back she did not know wither laugh or pull away.

“I’m selfish, and I don’t want share anymore.”

Wanna love you girl

 

“Share who with whom? Justin what are you talking about; I am way too drunk for mind games right now. ” her voice trailed off when she saw the sincere look in his normally sky blues are turned a sea form blue eyes and something else that made her heart flutter and stomach lunged but she ignored it thinking it was the booze, “Okay I thought I had too much, but its official maybe you had more than I thought-“


Wanna love you

 

“No I didn’t or maybe I did, I don’t know. All I know I almost lost you tonight and I have never been so scared in my life.” He voice cracked thinking of earlier events but his eyes contact never broke away from hers. “And I have never been more relived in my life than I was when you said no.  I realized at that moment I could no longer share you and yes, you said no this time but what if you don’t the next. I have always been in open person; I share my life and music with the world. However, there is two things in my life that I can be extremely selfish with, that my family and you. In that moment I wanted you to say I do to me, I want you to yes to me now,” before he could finish the n out, Lori was on her tip toes her lips crashed into Justin’s in shy yet sweet kiss. That started slowly only to grow mind numbing as ran his tongue on her bottom lip before gently tugging on it asking for more which she gladly welcomed.  

I'm gonna be ready this time

 

Lorraine moan softly as Justin grips the back of her dress wanting her as close to him as possible, she tasted like sweet coconut, vanilla and mint which only made him deepen the kiss as her fingers ran up the back of his neck and through his hair.

 

You see, it feels like I'm starting to care

 

Feeling warm and tingly all over, she did not know if it was his words or the alcohol or hell even this kiss they were sharing now that put her mind in a haze, but either way he had her.

He had her with selfish.

And was she ready.

I'm ready

Ready for love

 

Chapter End Notes:

I'm not going to lie, I'm still in debate weither to continue. So, please tell me what you think, reveiws are always welcomed. Should I? Or naw nice try?

Thanks for reading,

Dani

Ready to Run - Dixie Chicks

Wanna Love U Girl – Robin Thicke



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story