Author's Chapter Notes:

Gabriel James- Ethan's fiancéCollin Jacobs EthanArianna Jacobs + Alana Jacobs + Justin Timberlake + Kayla Jacobs

“Ari Ethan is here!” Justin shouts through the intercom. It’s amusing how much he loves that thing, oh the fun that he’s planned for us with that intercom and for a split second everything feels normal, like we’re just rushing to catch a last minute flight that he’s sprung on me. My toes touch the cold ceramic tiles as I hop from mat to mat trying to keep my feet from getting even colder. I don’t know it’s a habit that I picked up when I was younger, convincing myself when I was about 7 that if my feet touched the ground more than 3 times before all my clothes were on that it would be a bad day. I even made distinctions between the ground, the main surface and the floor, the second covering, the safety zone. Childish I know but it’s a comfort, a hope that everything will be alright for the day, except this time it’s not. After quickly slapping lotion on my body I slip on my wrap dress put on my shoes and rush down the stairs.

 

“Ethan.” I whisper his name and in an instant he takes 3 huge strides from beside Justin and I’m wrapped in his arms.

“Nana I’m so sorry, I can’t believe Collin is gone.” He doesn’t even wait for me to respond before speaking again. “Mom has gone over to Collin’s house and she’ll pick you...and Justin up at the airport.” Just then Gabriel, Ethan’s gorgeous fiancée a woman I can only describe a porcelain Amazonian princess and associate in Burnley & Co the firm that I work in peers through the door and I’m almost certain that she’s uncomfortable with Ethan hugging me as she clears her throat letting the whole room know she’s here.

“Don’t worry about Mr Preston I’ll call him later today.”

“Thanks Gabby.” I step away from Ethan and Justin rubs the small of my back ushering me to the front door, suitcase in the other hand.

“Um Gabby and I will stay here to look after Bailey and Sheba until you get back.” Pulling out his car key from his pocket he rushes to the front as we all pile in to his Range Rover, his pride and joy.

 

The ride to the airport proved uneventful and seemed too early in the morning 5:19 to be exact, for anyone to want to talk. Looking over at Justin I can tell his mind is drifting and he’s fighting the urge to sleep. Grabbing his hand the sudden awareness of the enormous task ahead of planning Colin’s funeral hits me. I know we have a family plot that my dad got after mom died but I don’t think I’d have the first clue where to find all the information, Collin dealt with all of that stuff when dad died because I was too busy with BAR finals. How selfish was that? I regret not handling dad’s passing better than I did I just shutout the world. Justin and I were just moving in together and I just left everything down to Collin and that wasn’t fair.

In barley no time at all Ethan pulls up at the departure terminal at airport and I’m shocked to see the paparazzi out at this time, how do they know where people are going to be? Giving me a reassuring squeeze, Justin pulls down his baseball hat and opens the door gently pulling me out the car, keeping our heads down we walk into the airport after about 300 shots have been taken of us just putting one foot in front of the other. Ethan carries the suitcase inside as we check in he gives each of us a hug and quickly returns to the car.

 

On the plane we’re still uncomfortable with each other, like we’ve had a huge fight over something small, like we usually do. The good news is that he’s fallen asleep which gives me time to take in everything that’s happened in the space of 4 hours. I do the only thing I know how and detach myself from the situation and make a list of priorities so that I’m back in control of this, this thing.

 

Morgue for victim I.D and death certificate

Lawyer’s office to hand in certificate and Will

Funeral Home and deposit

Hartland Funeral Home

5020 N 41st St Tampa FL 34721

Alana and Kayla’s school for 2 o’clock pick up

Family Bereavement Clinic

Dr. Eliza Moody

3411 E Nicaragua St. 

Contact...

 

By the time the plane landed at 10 Justin seemed more rested and I, well I was back in control. After collecting our bag, my phone immediately rings, the caller ID saying Yasmine. Justin already knowing the exit to all major airports navigates us through the score of people and press.

“C’mon guys move out of the way.” He grumbles holding my hand tighter than before.  

“Hey Mrs. Scott” Trying hard to fight through the flashing lights I’m finding it difficult to hear Ethan’s mother above the camera clicks, shutters and swearing, an almost effective trick that they use to try and get a reaction from me.

“Sweetie I’m just outside the door.” From the crowd I see a fairly tall tanned woman leaning on an SUV with dark glasses as she sees us coming with the press she dashes into the car Justin putting the suitcase in the trunk and parks his bum in the passenger seat, leaving me alone with my thoughts. Being the bad ass that Mrs Scott was she sped off the terminal like Hamilton with Alonzo on his tail.

“Mrs Harless just dropped off Alana and Kayla at school.” Justin perked up when he heard his mother’s name he is such a mama’s boy and he’ll be the first to admit it. “Alana boy that kid has a temper on her, are you going to be taking her to.”

“I’m on it.” I interject. “2:30 we have an appointment with the Family Bereavement therapist Dr. Moody.”

“Wow-that’s great maybe all of us can go together. I mean Collin’s death has affected all of us.” I didn’t think about that damn.

“Yeah- I mean I was just focusing on Ali and Kay but I’m sure Dr. Moody.”

“Forget it Arianna if you’ve made your plans already.” He turns around in a huff.

“Justin! I.” But I stop, even though Mrs Scott is like family, we’ve always tried to make an effort not to fight in front of other people, that’s just to stop reading about it the next day on gossip pages.

“Guys you need to communicate with each other, c’mon we’re all going through a rough time right now.”

“Justin I’m sorry, it just didn’t cross my mind.” I give in.

“That’s the thing Arianna I’m- you don’t think of me.”

“That’s not true Justin!” I recoil, that was a low blow. All I do is think about him, his needs, what is better for him, except now.

“Ari it’s my family too, you just don’t let me in close enough. I wasn’t even allowed to go to your father’s funeral.” I didn’t think he wanted to go. Besides he was about to start touring we had just started moving in and unpacking our stuff, I just thought he’d be too busy to want to come to a man who I hardly knew anything about let alone him.

“Sorry.” We’ve been trying this communication malarkey it’s a lot harder than it seems, but it works most of the time. I’d much rather have a huge argument and forget it but compromises, right?

“Good now that we’ve cleared the air where to first?” They both look at me expecting an answer.

“City Morgue” I sink further in the seat trying to fade out Justin’s deep stare from the reflection in the mirror.

Chapter End Notes:
Wehey I finally understand how to upload pictures...and now I can't stop :?


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story