Today could quite possibly be one of the worst days of my life.    

I won't say it's the absolute worst because God knows, I've had some pretty shitty days and I'm sure there's a few more in my future, but this is definitely in the top five.    

The meeting with RCA wasn't all that shocking, but that didn't make it any easier to deal with. Jc warned me on the way there that the outcome may not make me happy, so I went in prepared for the worst. I was convinced that I'd be leaving without a record deal.     

I tried really hard to convince myself that I actually wanted to go back in the studio, but when the big wigs said that's what they wanted, my heart sank a little.    

I put a lot into the second album and I absolutely loved every song on it. Apparently, I was the only one.    

Words can't even begin to describe how proud I was of that album. It's a little devastating to be told to go back into the studio and come up with something better. Honestly, I thought I'd given them my best work yet, but I guess I was wrong.     

I have one month to turn in an amazing demo, or I can kiss my future at RCA goodbye.    

I'm fairly confident in some of the stuff I've been writing lately, but there's still that nagging voice in the back of my mind, telling me, I'm wasting my time.    

Now, I know that doesn't seem so bad and on its own...it isn't. However, I could have choked someone when I was told that Justin will be producing my next album.    

That's the last damn thing I want!    

I spend more than enough time around him. I don't need him butting into my work as well. Plus, all those hours and late nights alone with him....I'm not sure I've got the willpower for that.    

I've finally come to terms with the fact that I like him, but I refuse to act on those feelings.     

I mean, it's Justin for crying out loud!    

I know, I know, I know...still doesn't reach worst day ever status yet, right?    

Well...to top off my oh so lovely morning, my presence has been requested at the offices of Johnny Wright. Which means...Justin has probably done something really stupid and the press got word of it, and now I'm about to get yelled at.     

I don't know what Justin's done now, but apparently it involves everyone. Johnny has demanded that I get to his office as soon as humanly possible and that I have Jc, and Beth with me.    

Honestly, I'm not all that surprised. I had a funny feeling something would blow up in our faces before that damn Rolling Stone article came out. All we had to do was make it through one week. One week of no drama, no crazy stories and no bickering...but of course not.    

With my luck, Justin's probably made a sex tape with some skank and we'll look like complete fools once that article hits stores. And of course, I'll look like the biggest idiot of all.     

Poor little Madison Fox...her world is crumbling around her...no record deal...adulterous husband.    

Won't the tabloids eat that shit up?    

"Madison...we're here." Jc says quietly as we pull up in front of a large gray building with no windows.        

This place has become like my second home over the last few months. It seems like Johnny is dragging us here for some ridiculous meeting almost every other day.     

We head inside quickly, making our way to conference room B on the 11th floor.     

I hope like hell Beth got Jc's message and is here, or atleast on her way. Johnny will have her head if she skips out on this.     

I don't know what the hell is going on, but obviously...it's a pretty big deal.    

"Morning Madison, Jc." Johnny nods as we step into the large room and take our seats at the rectangular glass table in the center of the room.     

Justin is seated between Trace and an older man I've never seen before, who I'm assuming is his publicist.     

Everyone seems to be chatting easily and the only sign that something is wrong, is Justin. His arms are folded across his chest and his mouth is set into a thin, tight line. His eyes are fixated on a spot on the wall and he shows no signs of moving. He didn't even look up when Jc and I walked in.    

Basically, he's full on pouting.    

I really can't recall ever seeing him this angry though, and I've seen him get pretty fucking mad. Especially at me.    

"Has anyone gotten in touch with Ms. Preston yet?" Johnny asks while studying each face in the room.        

"I've tried a few times. Her cell goes straight to voicemail." Jc shrugs helplessly.     

I still can't quite get that. It's just so unlike Beth. I mean, normally...her phone barely has time to ring once before she answers it. She never turns that damn thing off.    

"Well, maybe it's better this way." Johnny sighs and shakes his head. "Madison, I spoke with your lawyers and Mr. Henson this morning and they suggested I put this meeting together." I nod slowly and let his words sink in.    

Lawyers? Not good.    

George Henson? Definitely not good.    

I don't know too many people at RCA. I usually stick with the people who work for me, but it's impossible to be involved with RCA and not know George Henson.    

He's been head of public relations at RCA, damn near since the beginning of time and the guy knows his shit. He's dealt with some of the biggest scandals in the industry and nine times out of ten, the artist comes out pretty much unscathed, no matter how much evidence is stacked up against them.    

However, he does not work for Johnny Wright, Clive Davis, Barry Weis or Jive records, so having him call this meeting doesn't make much sense. If Justin has screwed up yet again, shouldn't his people be involved in this?    

Or maybe...maybe this isn't about Justin. Maybe I've unknowingly done some incredibly stupid thing that could possibly blow our cover.     

But what?    

My love life in non-existent,(which of course, does not include Justin.) I haven't gone out with just my friends in ages, during interviews I shoot the customary cheesy smile anytime Justin is mentioned. I watch what I say and who I say it to.    

I think I do a pretty damn good job playing the part of Mrs. Timberlake.    

This can't be about me or anything I've done.     

"Madison...it's to my understanding that you met with some of your advisors this morning, correct?" I nod quickly and wait for Johnny to continue. "Good. I'm sure they explained to you that Justin will be producing your next album, am I right?"    

"Is that what this is about?"    

"Unfortunately...no." He frowns and shakes his head. "But, there are a few things I'd like to address before we get to the matter at hand. First off, I'd like to congratulate you and Justin on a job well done thus far. I really couldn't be happier with the efforts both of you have made. I know this isn't a pleasant situation for anyone."    

"Can we get to the fucking point before that bitch shows up?" Justin growls out, finally acknowledging everyone else in the room.    

Whatever is going on, he knows about it already. Part of me wants to be mad at him for not warning me, but how could he have? I've been tied up in meetings all morning, then had to come straight here.     

See? I can think before I react toward him. Although...he could have atleast left a lousy voicemail or something. But, I won't nitpick.     

"Madison, you're well aware of the problems we've been having with the tabloids. For some time now, I've been under the suspicion that it was someone close to the two of you, who doesn't necessarily know what's really going on here. Apparently, I was wrong. This morning, Justin found Ms. Preston in your bedroom and this is what she had with her."    

He slides a folder across the table and I rip it open. Inside are dozens of pictures, Justin and I at various appearances, pictures from New Years Eve, and every single one of them looks like a perfect paparazzi shot.     

There are several sheets of notebook paper in the folder as well, full of dates and times, places Justin and I went together, things we said, people we were with.     

There's no way. There's just no fucking way. This can't be possible.     

Beth's my assistant. Jc hand picked her from hundreds of applicants. She's been with me for over four years. They're wrong. They have to be. Beth's...she's my friend...one of my best friends. She wouldn't do this.    

"Are...are you sure? I mean..maybe...maybe she was just keeping track of everything...so we'd know..." I trail off as the tears well up in my eyes.     

"She was in your room with the fucking door locked." Justin mutters and shakes his head in disgust. "I knew it."    

"But...but, she knows what really happened! Why would she leak stories about our marriage, when we aren't actually together? Wouldn't the bigger story be the fact that we're a couple of fucking liars?"    

"Unfortunately, that's the big question." Johnny nods and lets out a long sigh. "She was supposed to be here and apparently she's disappeared, Madison."    

"I knew something wasn't right with that chick." Trace shakes his head and laughs bitterly.    

Suddenly, I feel like a complete and total moron. Chelsea tried to tell me thousands of times over the years that something was a little off with Beth. I always boiled it down to the fact that she was just shy. I defended her against so many people who I thought, just didn't understand her and from the looks of it, they were right all along.    

I should have listened.     

I want to be angry. I want to scream. I want to put my fist through this damn table. But, I've just got this feeling that they're...they're wrong. They have to be.    

Suddenly, the door to the conference room opens and Beth steps inside, her eyes never leaving the floor.     

"So-sorry I'm late." She stutters before scurrying into a chair beside Jc.    

"Well Ms. Preston...I'm sure you know why everyone's here. Anything you'd like to say?"    

"No...not really." She replies quietly and shakes her head.    

"Alright then. Jc...this is in your hands now." Johnny sighs angrily. "I'm sure you can assume what I would do in a situation like this."    

"Beth..we...we have to let you go. Madison's lawyers will most likely file a breach of contract suit..." Jc mumbles sadly.    

I can't sit back and let this happen. If she really was the one leaking all of these ridiculous stories, I have to know why. I can't just fire her and be done with it.    

I trusted this girl more than I trusted my best friend. I gave her a place to live, gave her a job most people would kill for. She spent two Christmases with my family. She knew every damn thing about me. If she really betrayed me...I have to know why. I have to hear her admit it.    

"Beth." I say suddenly, surprised at the force behind my own voice.    

She keeps her stare focused on the ground and the more she ignores me, the more my blood begins to boil.    

"Beth." I repeat, a little louder and still nothing.    

She's got some balls, I'll give her that. It takes a lot of nerve to do this shit and try to act all innocent.    

"God damnit Beth! Will you atleast fucking look at me?" I scream and slam my hands down on the table, causing it to rattle.    

Everyone in the room jumps and finally she looks up, her sad eyes locking with mine.    

"Why?" I ask quietly.    

It's taking all I have to fight back the tears in my eyes but I'm determined to get through this without breaking down.    

"I...I'm so sorry Madison. I never wanted to hurt you, but it...it was my job. My hands were tied."    

"Your job?" Justin shrieks and leans forward in his chair. It's a good thing there's a very large table separating the two of them. I'm pretty sure Justin would murder her if he could.    

Beth nods slowly as the tears spill down her cheeks. She takes a deep breath and looks back at me. "My name is actually Beth Cook. I'm a reporter for Us Weekly."    

Oh my God...    

It's true. It's all true. Justin and Chelsea were right from day one.     

Oh my God!        

"Madison...I swear, it wasn't supposed to go this far! When you were first starting out, you hit virtually overnight, and somehow, the magazine heard that you were looking to hire an assistant. I was just supposed to interview with you. I was just supposed to get a feel for you as an artist. You came out of nowhere and every outlet was dying to see what you were like. When Jc offered me the job, the magazine wouldn't let me turn it down. They wanted me to go undercover for a month, dig up whatever I could, then quit. It just...it snowballed into this big thing and I was in too deep to just up and leave."    

Four years.    

For four years, this girl was at my side 24 hours a day. I thought I knew her inside and out. I thought of her as a sister. Instead...I've spent the last four years welcoming a complete stranger into every aspect of my life.    

"And then...when you wanted to go to Vegas...that just ruined everything. The magazine heard Justin would be there and I was supposed to arrange a meeting between the two of you, just to see what would happen."    

Suddenly...images of that night are flooding my mind. Being at the club, seeing Justin, leaving with him, stopping at that damn chapel, and then Beth...    

Oh God.    

Justin and I didn't get married because of some drunken attraction. We got married because...because Beth told us to.    

"You two should get hitched.....It's what Vegas is all about!..... Nobody's gonna know."    

Justin and I were drunk enough to fall for it. We thought we could leave town and put the whole thing behind us. We were...we were so fucking stupid. We let Beth completely manipulate us for a story.    

"I didn't want to do it. I tried to get out of it so many times, but I would have lost my job!" She sobs and I don't feel the least bit of sympathy for her.    

Why the hell should I?    

She could have destroyed not only two careers, but two lives as well....all for a few lousy fucking stories. What if I'd gotten pregnant that night? What if Justin had some damn disease or something?     

All the "What ifs" are starting to turn my stomach.    

I look over at her and feel nothing but disgust. How could someone be so damn selfish? She may say she tried to get out of it or stop it, but I see no evidence of that anywhere. She didn't care about me. She just wanted to further her career.    

"You're done." I growl at her. "My lawyers can deal with you, and you better believe that the entire world is going to know exactly what you are, and won't your precious fucking magazine love that? You won't even be able to get a job at McDonalds when I'm done with you. And so help me God...if you ever come anywhere near me, my friends or my family again...you will live to regret it."    

I gather my things and leave the conference room as quickly as humanly possible. I just...I can't stand to even look at her any longer.    

I make it to the elevator before I hear my name being called and I recognize the voice immediately.     

I expected Jc...hell, even Trace to come after me, but certainly not Justin. I fully expected him to blame all of this on me. After all...I was the one who trusted her, with no hesitation.     

He jogs to catch up to me and forces an awkward smile when he stops in front of me. "You alright?"    

"I...I.." My voice cracks and before I can stop it, the tears are starting to pour.     

In a split second, Justin pulls me against him and I bury my head in his chest as his arms slide around me protectively.     

"You were amazing in there. If it was me...I prolly would've killed her ass."    

I cry harder as he tries to comfort me and I'm sure I look like a mental case, clinging to him for dear life and soaking his T-shirt. God only knows what he must think of me now.    

We stand like that for what feels like an eternity and I can't ignore the way the feel of him all around me, seems to put me at ease. He doesn't say anything and really...I don't need him to. I just need him to hold me and let me cry.    

"Look on the bright side." He says suddenly. "Atleast now we know it wasn't completely our fault we got into this mess." I can't help but laugh at him.    

He looks so adorable, completely unsure of what to do or say, but he's doing everything he can think of to make me feel better. God...I'm...I'm really crazy about him.    

"Come on...we'll go home, order pizza and get drunk." He grins and throws an arm around my shoulders, guiding me onto the elevator.   

As much as I hate Beth for what she's done, there's one thing I can't bring myself to hate her for.     

She brought Justin into my life.    

More and more everyday, he's growing on me. If he left tomorrow, I honestly don't know what the hell I'd do with myself. I've gotten so used to having him around and I actually like it. Despite his attitude and our rocky start...I don't want him to go away.     

At this point, I can't really imagine my life without him in it, in some way.    

I guess it's true what they say about clouds, they all have their silver lining, and I think Justin might be mine.    

But, he doesn't need to know that.

 

**********************************    

 

"What ya doin?" Justin grins stupidly as he plops down beside me. I snap my notebook shut quickly and smile.    

"Nothing, drunk ass."    

"Aww...Maddie...that's not nice." He pouts and reaches for the notebook.    

Luckily, all the alcohol in his system has slowed his reaction time considerably and he misses by about a foot when I pull the notebook out of his reach. Drunk people are so fun to mess with.    

As promised, we came back to the house, ordered pizza and started drinking. Justin and Trace have been chugging coronas for the last four hours. Needless to say, they're both about three sheets to the wind.    

Unfortunately, after my day from hell, drinking was the last thing I felt like doing. I humored the two of them and had a couple beers, but I just can't seem to bring myself to have fun.    

Maybe I'm still in shock or denial or something. I mean, Beth admitted to it but I still just can't believe it. I really thought Justin and Chelsea were wrong about her.     

So, after about an hour, I was still moping, however...creativity suddenly struck.    

There were all these thoughts floating around in my head and I just had to get them out. I wrote an entire song in less than an hour, something I've never accomplished until now. It's funny how misery can be so inspiring.     

Once I finished the first song, I started flipping through the pages and came to another song that I've been working on since before Justin and I went to Chicago. For the longest time, I was stuck and I'd contemplated ripping the page out, and completely discarding it. For some reason, I couldn't ever do that.    

Now, I'm so, so, so glad I kept it.    

After seeing the way Justin handled the whole Beth thing and the way he tried so hard to take care of me, the words just seemed to flow and before I knew it, I'd finished another song.    

Yes...I wrote a song about him. I know, I'm hopelessly lovesick and it's disgusting.     

However, I seriously doubt that this song will ever see the light of day. It's more for me than anyone else anyway. I guess it was the only way I could get my thoughts and feelings out. So, folded in my notebook it shall stay.    

I mean, how the hell could I possibly record it when Justin's going to be producing my album? That would bring a whole new meaning to the word awkward.    

"Madison." He whines pitifully and I can't help but roll my eyes.    

I've seen Justin drunk on several occasions, but I've never seen him act like this. Normally, he's more cocky than usual and he can be silly, but kind of sexy at the same time. Now however, he's whining and carrying on like a two year old. It's pretty unattractive.     

I have to admit, my feelings for him confuse the hell out of me. One minute, I'm ready to jump him if he looks at me a certain way and the next, he aggravates me to the point of wanting to rip his damn head off. It's just so...so...so frustrating.    

Out of nowhere, his mouth is on my neck and his hand is slowly inching its way up my thigh.     

Oh this is bad. Really, really bad.    

I know he's drunk and probably hasn't got a clue what he's doing, but I'm not sure I have the strength to fight him off.    

Shit. This day just keeps getting better and better. Not.    

"Justin..st..stop." I stutter, removing his hand from my leg and pushing him away. He frowns and shakes his head before leaning into me again.    

"You don't want me to stop...and we both know it." He smirks seductively.     

He definitely should not look at me like that. I swear...if he doesn't stop, I will not be responsible for my actions, which could very well include ripping his damn clothes off right here and now.    

Honestly, he's right. I don't want him to stop, but I need him to stop. I can't let this go any farther. If I do, there won't be any turning back and that can't happen. We can not get involved.     

He quickly grabs me by the hips and positions me in his lap so that I'm straddling him.    

Shit. This is so not good.    

I can feel him pressing into me and I bite my lip. Where the fuck is Trace when you need him? I swear, he was just here...    

"C'mon Maddie..nobody has to know." He smirks again as he grinds his hips into mine and I have to bite back the moan threatening to escape my lips.    

Oh Jesus Christ...this has to stop, right now.    

It feels so damn good, but it's got to stop.    

"Justin, you're drunk. We can't do this." I shake my head and try to move but he holds me in place.     

Suddenly, his lips crash against mine and I can't even breathe. I want him, oh God, do I want him, but I've got to be the smart one here. If we get involved, there's no telling what could happen. I mean, if things went south before our two years are up, it could completely blow our cover. Johnny would kill us.   

"No." I pull away from him quickly and shake my head. I wiggle out of his grasp and practically run up to my bedroom, locking the door behind me.    

If he keeps this up, I'm going to reach my breaking point and I can't allow that to happen. My feelings for him are getting stronger everyday and I don't know how much longer I can keep up the act.     

Deep down, I know he doesn't want me. He's a sex-starved 20-something male and I'm convenient. That's all it is to him. He doesn't even realize what he's doing to me.    

And, I think that's what hurts the most.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story