Author's Chapter Notes:

i just wanted to thank y'all for the amazing reviews! you have no idea how much i appreciate hearing how much you guys are enjoying this story. i'm having a blast writing it and hearing what you guys think makes it that much more fun.

i apologize for any spelling/grammar errors in this one. it's way late and i kinda rushed through editing. lol

anywho... enjoy!

"Hi, I'm Melissa." A short brunette smiles at me as she approaches our table.    

"Hey Melissa." I nod before taking a sip of my drink.    

"I just... I wanted to say that I'm a huge fan and.. all that stuff they're saying about you is awful. You were too good for Madison Fox anyway."    

"Thanks." I force a smile and nod again.    

Melissa moves to sit down across from me, but Trace quickly stops her. "J... it's getting late. We better head out."

"Yeah man. Melissa, it was nice meeting you." I offer before I follow Trace out of the club.    

This has been my life for the last three weeks.    

We go out. We drink. We pick up girls.        

Most of them are fans, who have no trouble voicing their negative opinions of Madison. At first, it was kind of an ego boost. It was sort of nice to hear people bashing the woman who hurt me.    

But, it got old pretty damn quick.    

Now, it's just a reminder that she left. No amount of alcohol or women is going to change that.    

I know the media has been reporting my every move since Madison filed for divorce, and I'm sure she's seen or heard every bit of it. Lord only know what she thinks of me now.    

I just.. I can't hardly stand to be in my own house anymore. She spent six months there and in a lot of ways, it became her home too. Being there alone is just another reminder that she shot me down.    

I just got so tired of sitting at home feeling sorry for myself, so I've gone out every single night since she left.    

I guess a small part of me wanted her to see that I could go out and have fun without her. Unfortunately, I didn't think far enough ahead to realize that this could destroy any shot I had at straightening things out with her.    

"This shit's gotta stop man." Trace mutters and shakes his head. "I know this is the kinda shit you did before Madison showed up, but this is gonna look really bad."    

"You think I care how it looks?"

"You should. You're acting like some heart broken idiot and pretty soon, people will think you're an alcoholic."    

"What am I supposed to do, Trace? You want me to sit around the house and fucking mope or something?"    

"That's not what I'm saying. Look... I know you liked her or whatever, but get a fuckin grip man. Your marriage wasn't real. Move the fuck on and be done with it."    

"Way to show some support." I roll my eyes as Trace flips me off.    

Unfortunately, I know he's right. I'm acting like someone who's all broken up about the end of their marriage, when this shouldn't be affecting me at all. The problem is, I fell for her when I should have tried to keep myself as detached as possible.    

I never really told Trace just how strong my feelings for Madison are, so naturally... he thinks I should be able to walk away from this, no questions asked.    "I love her, Trace." I say quietly.     

"You're kidding, right?"    

"Not at all."    

He lets out a long sigh before shaking his head sadly. "Only you man... only you."    

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?"    

"Only you would get forced into some bullshit marriage and spend months acting like a total douche, then decide you're in love with her. Are you fucking insane? I mean seriously J... even you gotta admit, this whole thing is ridiculous."    

Once again, my best friend is right.    

I really hate when that happens.   

Ridiculous, insane, complicated and illogical are all good words to describe things between Madison and I. This whole situation hasn't made sense from day one, and believe it or not... I kind of like that.    

Madison is the complete opposite of the women I usually go for. Things with her are never planned, they just happen. There's never any way to tell what kind of mood she'll be in from one minute to the next. She's stubborn, obnoxious and a total pain in the ass, but I love it.     

I love that unexpected aspect of being around her, you never know what the hell she'll do next and she says pretty much whatever she damn well pleases.    

I'm so used to everything in my life being planned down to the second, where I go, who I talk to, what I say, how I dress, how I act. It's like I'm performing all the damn time but with Madison, I can be myself.    

I can be loud and goofy, I can have real opinions about stuff, I don't have to over analyze everything or worry that I might offend someone. Being with her is as close to normal as I can get.     

And I can't give that up.    

I can't live the rest of my life without Madison Fox in it.

 

**********************************    

 

I dial the same number for what feels like the millionth time today and roll my eyes when it goes straight to voicemail.    

This is really starting to piss me off.    

I sat down and thought this whole mess through and I've decided... I've got to get Madison back here with me. I don't care what it takes or what I have to do, she's going to be back in this house as soon as humanly possible.    

The only problem is... I can't find her.    

In the last three days, I've gone to her apartment atleast a dozen times, I tried the studio, the label and so far... I've come up empty handed.    

I've called her God knows how many times, always getting her voicemail. I've called Chelsea and Jc, and still nothing.    

I'm starting to feel like some psycho ass stalker.    

Either they're pretty damn busy, or I'm being ignored. Unfortunately, I think it's the latter.   

I'm sure Jace is taking this opportunity to play the sensitive, supportive friend role and with my luck, Madison will fall hopelessly in love with him, and I'll be just a memory.    

Ok, that's a little dramatic, but hey... stranger things have happened.    

If I just had some small inkling of where the hell she is, I would gladly go after her. I've got all these things I need to say to her, and if I don't do it soon, I may never get the chance or the courage again.     

I just need to put everything on the table. The more I think about everything, the more I realize that I never really told her how I felt. Sure, I begged her to stay, but I didn't give her a reason to.    

I never actually said, "Madison, you need to stay because I love you." Based on that, I almost don't blame her for leaving.    

If I could just tell her everything I'm feeling, I might be able to turn this whole thing around. But... if she still walks away, I can't say I didn't try.     

I just can't walk away from this without trying something. If she really doesn't love me, I need her to look me in the eyes and say it.    

The front door opens and shuts before Trace enters the living room, waving a magazine at me. "She's in Chicago." He smiles proudly as he tosses it at me.    

What the hell? Is... is he actually trying to help me?    

Three days ago, he was telling me to forget the whole thing and now... now he's helping me track her down?    

I think my best friend might be smoking crack.    

He notices my confusion and shrugs before shooting me a small smile. "Look man... I did some thinking and... I actually like you better when she's around."    

"Oh, so this is for your benefit?"    

"Well.. kind of." He laughs and rolls his eyes. "I hate seeing you like this man. I've never seen you this fucked up about a girl. I got to thinking and I figured, if I can't get you to let it go, I might as well help you."    

"Thanks man." I nod slowly and glance over the small article detailing Madison's stay in Chicago.    

"I figured we could catch a flight in the morning."    

"Yeah, that's cool. Thanks." I smile but it feels more forced than it should.    

Now that Trace is finally backing me on this, I can't help feeling a little bad about something I did behind his back.    

It was stupid, really. I just... I was so desperate for some type of answer from Madison, I had to do something.     

So... about a week ago, I noticed Trace's phone laying on the kitchen counter. He was out running errands and I still haven't got the slightest clue why he left it here, he takes the damn thing everywhere.    

I swear, I was going to leave it alone, but then an idea hit me.     

Madison and Trace had gotten to be pretty tight during her time here. Granted, they weren't super close or anything, but I thought maybe she'd still talk to him.    

I considered just calling her from his phone and spilling my guts, but I knew the second she heard my voice, she'd hang up. So... I did the next best thing.    

I sent her a text message.    

I was kind of surprised that she responded, but I took that as my chance. And... that's when I blew it.     

I just had to go and pull that "we miss you" bullshit. If I hadn't done that, I probably could have kept her talking, but oh no... I just had to fuck it up.    

I swear, it should be a crime to be as fucking stupid as I am sometimes.    

I should probably let Trace in on what I did, seeing as how it's put him in the middle of the whole thing. But, it's not like it's that big of a deal. It just made me... well... technically Trace, look like a little bit of an idiot.    

I feel like a pretty big jackass for doing it though.    

I mean seriously, how pathetic is it that I pretended to be someone else, just to talk to a girl?    

I think I've reached a whole new low.

 

**********************************    

 

I stuff my bag into the trunk of Trace's car before heading back in the house to make sure I've got everything. I know I should probably be a nervous wreck, but I'm actually feeling pretty good.    

I've gotten myself to the point where I just need to get this off my chest. I wouldn't say that I don't care about the result, but the biggest thing for me is just telling Madison how I feel. Once it's all out in the open, I can worry about the other shit later.    

For now, I just want to focus on what I'm going to say to her.     

"Alright, I'm ready whenever you are." I take one last look around the house, grab my keys, and follow Trace out to the car.    

He starts the engine and begins to slowly back out of the driveway, then suddenly, he slams on the breaks and pounds his fist against the steering wheel.    

I turn in my seat the best I can and my jaw damn near hits the floor when I see a familiar black BMW pulling in behind us.    

Without a word, Trace jumps out of the car and marches back to the BMW.     

What the fuck is going on here, and why do I seem to be the only one out of the loop?    

A short, thin, red head steps out of the BMW and it takes all I have not to hop out and go back there. This doesn't make any damn sense.    

Chelsea is supposed to be in Chicago with Madison. Trace and I are supposed to be on our way to the airport so I can go win back my girl.    

Unless... unless they're all back in L. A, and Madison's in that damn car, waiting to patch things up with me.    

Alright, I lied through my teeth when I said I wasn't nervous.    

My nerves have suddenly hit me full force in the last ten seconds. I can't keep my hands from shaking and I'm pretty sure that if I move, everything I've eaten in the past week will end up on the floor of Trace's car.    

I'm sure that'd go over real well.    

Chelsea and Trace's conversation quickly gets heated and before I know it, they're both gesturing angrily and obviously yelling at each other.    

Maybe one day, the things that go on around me will make sense, but clearly... today is not that day.     

I finally muster up the courage to step out of the car and discreetly peer into the BMW. Lucky for me, Madison's not here.    

"I left you a message and told you we were coming home! It's not my fault you only check your voicemail every six months!"    

Suddenly, my attention is focused on the two personal assistants screaming at each other in my front yard.    

It's a damn good thing I don't have neighbors, because they'd be getting quite the show right now.    

"That wasn't the plan!"    

Plan? Why do I not like the sound of this?    

"Your plan was fucking stupid Trace!"    

"What the hell is going on?"    

Chelsea whirls around to face me, guilt etched all over her face. "Hey Justin..." She forces a smile and shifts awkwardly. "I was just leaving..."    

"Bullshit Chels. What are you doing here?"    

This girl has another thing coming if she thinks she's going to stand here and lie to me. I mean, does she honestly think I'm stupid enough to ignore whatever the hell they were arguing about? She must be out of her damn mind.    

"It was his idea." She says quickly and points an accusing finger at Trace.    

"Chelsea! What the fuck?"     

"Well.. it was stupid."    

"Whatever." He rolls his eyes and steps toward me. "Look man... I was just trying to help."    

"If you want to help, quit dancing around it and just tell me what the fuck is going on."    

"Me and Chelsea were kind of going to force you and Madison into talking things out. I was supposed to get you to this studio she's been working at in Chicago and we were gonna leave y'all there for a few hours. But somebody... " He lets out a long sigh and glares at Chelsea. "Just fucked the whole thing up."    

"What, are you guys like five?" I laugh bitterly and shake my head. "That's the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard." I open the trunk and grab my bags before heading back into the house.    

I guess I should appreciate the fact that they care enough to want to help, but locking me and Madison in a room together isn't going to solve anything. We need to talk, yes. But, we're both stubborn as all hell. Forcing us into something will make us less likely to cooperate.    

I mean, we were forced into staying married and look how that's turned out.    

I'm actually a little pissed off about this. I'm just so damn tired of other people trying to run my life for me. I'm a grown man damnit. I should be allowed to make my own decisions and do things for myself.    

I thought Trace was just giving advice when he said I should go to Chicago to talk to Madison, instead.. he was trying to control me, just like everyone else around me does.    

I know he had good intentions, but he should have just stood back and let me handle this on my own.   

On the bright side, atleast now I know that Madison is back in L. A and that's going to make tracking her down, a million times easier.     

But... I can't quite figure out when Chelsea and Trace had the time to plan all of this out, behind mine and Madison's backs. They were never particularly close and I don't remember ever seeing them talk, unless Madison and I were around.     

Our best friends are up to no fucking good, and I'm more than a little concerned.  

 

**************************    

 

I stare up at the building in front of me and debate over whether or not I should go inside.     

It would be so easy to march up to the sixth floor, pound on the door and tell her everything... but I can't bring myself to even get out of the fucking car.    

Trace and Chelsea's little game the other day made me realize that if I'm going to do something, I need to do it soon. Otherwise, God only knows who else will want to jump in and problem solve. Even my momma is already threatening to call Madison, and that's the last damn thing I need.    

I mean, who wants their mother meddling in their love life? I know I sure as hell don't.    

The fact of the matter is, Madison and I are the only ones who can straighten this out. We need to get over all of our own bullshit, and for the first time since we met, be honest with each other.    

I finally step out of the car and slowly make my way up the sidewalk. I don't think I've ever been in Madison's apartment. I've brought her here several times to pick up various odds and ends, or drop Chelsea off, but I've never set foot inside this building.     

It's actually kind of awkward. I'm about to make myself as vulnerable as humanly possible and being in unfamiliar territory isn't going to help my already frayed nerves any.     

I climb the stairs slowly, trying to muster up the nerve to actually go through with this. I know I'll be a complete chicken shit if I don't, but I've just... suddenly, I've got a really bad feeling about this. I mean, what if she blows me off?    

I tried so hard to convince myself that the most important thing was just telling her how I feel, but that's not the case.     

I can't get shot down.     

I'm not so sure I can handle going in there and laying it all on the line, just to have her reject me.     

I turn around and head back down the steps, but stop when I hear that all too familiar laugh. If I was smart, I'd haul ass down the rest of these stairs and get the hell out of here, but I'm practically frozen where I stand.     

I'm so fucking busted.     

She rounds the corner and I can't help but roll my eyes when I spot Jc on her heels. Figures, doesn't it?    

They both stop dead in their tracks the second they see me and I take a deep breath. This is it. There's no backing down now. Obviously, somebody out there wants me to go through with this, no matter the outcome.     

"He....hey, Madison." I stutter and give her a short nod.    

"Justin... what the hell are you doing here?" She glares at me and I swallow the lump that's formed in my throat.    

This was probably the absolute worst idea I've ever had.     

"I umm.. I...I thought maybe we could talk?"    

Her expression softens quickly and she turns to Jc. "You better just go without me."    

Jc nods slowly before heading down the remaining steps and disappearing from sight. Madison turns to make her way back to her apartment and I'm right behind her the whole way.    

I can feel my confidence growing with each step and I'm damn near grinning from ear to ear when we finally reach her door. She turns to face me and stares up at me for what feels like hours, neither of us saying a word.    

Honestly... I don't even know where to begin. I had all this shit worked out in my head, but seeing her has erased every last bit of it. She just has that affect on me. It's like, I'm so damn wrapped up in her, I can't form one coherent damn thought.     

"Alright... you wanted to talk, so talk."    

"Can't we atleast go inside?"    

"No." She folds her arms across her chest and that angry glare is back full force.     

Ok... maybe this won't be as easy as it seemed at first.     

"Honestly Justin... I don't know what the hell you want from me... I mean, we-"    

Before I even know what the hell I'm doing, my lips are planted firmly on hers and she's leaning against the door for support. Her arms slide around my neck and I can't help but smile.    

And just like that... my confidence is back.     

That kiss just told me everything I need to know.     

She loves me, just as much as I love her, and we're going to get this cleared up.

It's just a matter of time.

 

        



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story