I tap my pen against the paper in front of me and groan inwardly. I've been working on this song since the day of the Rolling Stone shoot, almost three weeks ago. The melody was stuck in my head the entire day, and the first verse practically wrote itself, but it's like I can't form the right words anymore. Now, I'm stuck with a fourth of a song, and a bunch of chord progressions.     

Justin grabs my pen and shoves it in his pocket while glaring at me. "The repetitive sound thing is getting really fucking annoying."    

I roll my eyes and close my notebook before stuffing it in my purse. It's not like I was getting anything done anyway.    

We're on a plane, headed for my hometown of Chicago. The single was released yesterday, and now the promotion insanity begins.    

We'll spend the next week in Chicago, then there's a few days in New York, then it's back to L.A. Within the next two weeks, I'll do God knows how many radio shows, talk shows, interviews, photo shoots and once I'm settled back in L.A, we'll be filming the video.    

Needless to say, I'll be a very busy girl.    

When I packed my bags for this trip, I was damn near jumping up and down. I was thrilled at the idea of having two Justin-free weeks. But of course, that was shot to hell.    

Johnny and his people decided that since Justin is currently not working, it would look better if he tagged along while I work. I bet you can imagine the joy I felt about that.    

It's becoming harder and harder everyday to be around him. I can't pinpoint exactly how I feel about him, but it's going far beyond what it should.    

I like him. Plain and simple.    

I know I shouldn't, and I don't even know why I'm feeling all of this, but I do. My mother always told me that the heart wants what it wants, but I'm beginning to think I need to have my heart, and my head checked out.     

I can't honestly say what it is about him that I even like. I know, people always say women go for guys who treat them like dirt, but I don't think that's it either. The best I can come up with, is that this is fates way of screwing with me, and it's definitely working.    

I don't know how to act around him, I never know what to say and when he's around, there's this huge ball of nerves in my stomach. All he has to do is smile, and I turn into this shy, nervous teenage girl.     

Unfortunately, my defenses kick in and it's like, I do everything I can to push him away. I just...I'm terrified of him getting too close and being able to see right through me. I can't even begin to picture how he'd react if he knew I got weak in the knees every time he has to kiss me.    

It's no secret that he'd rather swallow nails than be around me, so you can see where my problem lies.     

I have a major attraction to a man who detests me. How pathetic am I?    

I'm also not too thrilled at the prospect of Justin meeting my family and friends. I'm sure, he'll turn on the charm and have everyone believing that he's this wonderful man who swept me off my feet. That's all good and well, but what's going to happen when they see that I can barely keep my hands from shaking when I'm around him?    

I was really looking forward to this trip, but right now I'd give anything to turn this plane around and haul ass back to California.     

Trace flips on the TV, and I can't help but roll my eyes at the sight of mine and Justin's pictures splashed across the screen. I don't know about the rest of the world, but I'm definitely getting tired of seeing my own face almost 24 hours a day.    

"The couple is headed to Fox's hometown to kick off her two week promo tour. Her second studio album is set to be released in mid-December. Timberlake will make an appearance in the video for the lead single, "One Minute", despite rumors of infidelity, the couple remains united. Spokesmen for Timberlake call those accusations, "ridiculous", citing the media's need for a story as the fuel behind them."    

"You know what's funny..."Trace says suddenly and looks over at us. "When they're right about stuff...people deny like hell."    

"That's probably because a lot of people have trouble with the truth." Justin mutters and glances at Beth quickly.     

I'm getting really tired of everyone accusing her of holding things back. I mean...I know she probably knows more about what happened in Vegas than the rest of us, but we all know the basic stuff. Justin and I got drunk, and got married. What else is there to possibly know?    

Luckily for Justin, Beth is way too nice to ever say anything. She'll let him think what he wants about her. She and I both know that she isn't doing anything wrong, and that's good enough for her.     

I think Justin just wants someone to blame. It's like, he's not happy unless he's got someone to criticize.     

"So...what are we doing in Chicago?" Trace asks and smiles at me. "You've probably got the in on all the really cool shit, right?"

"Afraid not." I giggle and shake my head. "My parents live in a pretty boring subdivision just outside the city. Not a whole lot goes on there."    

"We'll get into something. Trust me." He grins, before turning to Beth. "You'll party with me, right B?"    

I'm quickly learning that he loves to torment the hell out of her. Beth is so shy and quiet, sometimes you almost forget she's there, and Trace...I guess Trace is a little like me. He's loud and goofy and has to make his presence known at all times. He's doing everything he can to pull Beth out of her shell, but I doubt he'll succeed. I've been trying for years. Eventually, you just learn to accept the fact that she's happy being who she is.    

I figure, if she'd rather read a book than go out, so be it. It's her loss.     After another two hours and a heated argument over the armrest, that ended with Justin storming to the back of the plane to pout, we finally land in Chicago.    

The closer we get to my parents house, the tighter the knots in my stomach get, and I'm fighting the urge to throw up.    

I have no idea how this week is going to turn out, but all I can do is pray that Justin doesn't blow our cover by acting like a moron. We were able to pull the wool over his friends eyes, hopefully we can do the same with mine.

 

*********************************    

 

I walk into the house I grew up in, and right away the scent of coffee and cigarettes hits my nose. I know most people find the smell of smoke disgusting, but in a weird way, it's comforting to me.    

My dad has been a heavy smoker as far back as I can remember, I guess the smell just reminds me of him. Honestly, after you grow up around that distinctive smell, you kind of just get used to it.    

We dropped Beth, Jc and Trace off at a hotel before we headed here. There isn't nearly enough room in my parents house to accommodate all five of us, so it was our only option. Naturally, Justin spent a good 20 minutes whining about not wanting to stay here, but that was a battle he lost.     

How ridiculous would it look if I stayed with my parents, while he stayed a hotel? I mean..come on.    

I drag him through the den and into the kitchen, in search of my parents. I just want to get the introductions out of the way, and hopefully relieve some of the tension I'm feeling.     

If I'm lucky, everything will go the way I've been imagining, and Justin will charm the pants off of them. I know it doesn't matter if they like him or not, but this next week will be much easier if they do.     

We find my parents seated on the screened in back porch, my father reading the sports section of the newspaper and my mother with her nose buried in a mystery novel.  I've seen this exact image, God knows how many times in my life, and it never fails to bring a smile to my face.    

My parents are amazing. They've done nothing but support me my whole life, and I honestly couldn't ask for more. They weren't exactly thrilled with my decision to quit school at 16, but they knew there was no way I'd change my mind.     

Of course, my dad insisted I get my GED. He had all the faith in the world in me, but he wanted me to have a back up plan in case the music thing didn't pan out the way I'd hoped.     

I grab Justin's hand and pull him out onto the porch, my smile getting bigger by the second. I don't exactly miss Chicago, but I've missed my parents more than I ever thought possible.    

My mother looks up from her book and smiles warmly, before standing up and wrapping me in a tight hug. "It's so good to see you sweetheart."    

"I know...I missed you guys too."   

Justin stands beside me, looking around awkwardly. I almost feel bad for him. He's totally out of his element here. He's so used to being surrounded by his friends and family, having them adore him, but now...it's like he's not quite sure how to handle being virtually ignored.    

"Mom...this is Justin."     

I force the best smile I can as my mother eyes him carefully. Finally, she smiles and reaches out to shake his hand.    

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Fox." He grins.    

"You can stop with that Mrs. Fox nonsense. You're part of the family sweetie, call me Janie."    

My mother and Justin continue to chat and I turn my attention to my father, who has quietly been watching the entire exchange.     

My dad is...well, he can be kind of strange sometimes. He's incredibly cautious about people. He can look at someone and within a matter of seconds, decide if he likes them or not. Anytime he meets someone new, he'll sit back and watch them for a few minutes, before introducing himself.     

His theory was, if he could tell he didn't like him before he met them, why waste his time meeting them at all?    

I know, he's a little crazy.    

"You're being awfully quiet." I say and sit down next to him.    

"I'm observing, Maddie." He chuckles and shakes his head. "Have a good flight?"    

"It wasn't bad."

"Good, good." He nods and takes a quick sip of his coffee. "So, that's him huh?"

"Yeah, daddy...that's him."    

My father stares Justin down for what feels like hours, and I swear to God...he can tell. He can tell that Justin absolutely hates me, and this entire thing is a lie.    

I feel awful for lying to my parents, but I was given no choice. Johnny made it very clear that we weren't taking any chances, and I'm not about to be responsible for this whole thing falling apart around us. I'll let Justin run it into the ground himself, thank you very much.    

"He seems arrogant. I don't like him." My father says quietly, before picking up his paper again.     

Great, just fucking great. This week just took a major turn for the worse.     

My father has made it his mission in life, to make life miserable for any man I've ever brought home, whether he was a boyfriend or  just a friend. It took almost a year before he warmed up to Jc, and with Justin's attitude, I'm sure there's going to be a major war.     

Is it too late to hop a plane back to L.A?

 

***********************************    

 

"You're joking, right?"    

I look up at the brightly lit building in front of us and smile. "A guy I know owns the place. It's kind of the hang out for my friends."    

"Madison...it's a fucking karaoke bar." Justin frowns and shakes his head. "I'm not going in there."    

"Look...I put up with your drunk ass friends every night in L.A. I'm working my ass off for your benefit, it wouldn't kill you to do the same for one night."    

"I'm staying at your parents house, isn't that enough of a compromise?"    

"Just come on." I roll my eyes and step into the bar, Justin trailing reluctantly behind me.    

The bar looks exactly the same as it did the last time I was here over three years ago. Same neon signs, same beat up old payphone, same jukebox in the corner. I absolutely love this place.    

Right away, I spot my four friends in a corner booth and smile. I really don't make it home anywhere near as much as I should.     

Justin and I weave our way through the crowd, and stop as soon as we reach the table. Immediately, all four of them grin and for the first time since we landed, I don't feel nervous or awkward. I'm just happy to be here.     

"Well, well, well...if it isn't Mrs. Hollywood." Rob smirks as I slide into the booth.    

"Funny." I roll my eyes and giggle. "Guys, this is Justin...Justin, this is Rob, Chelsea, Mikey and Lindsay." Justin gives them all a small nod before easing into the booth next to me.     

"So...we were just picking our songs, what are you guys doing?"    

I look over at Chelsea and grin. We've been coming here for God knows how long, and her and I always do the same song together. I guess it's our corny little tradition.    

"Call Me." We say at the same time before giggling.     

Chelsea and I met in the fifth grade, and we've been best friends ever since. She's the only person I've ever known is just as loud and obnoxious as I am, and she shares my Fleetwood Mac obsession. She's a little more crass than I am, but I honestly believe we were made to be best friends.     

Unfortunately, that could also cause some problems on this trip. If anyone's able to see through mine and Justin's act, it'd be Chelsea.     

"Alright. Justin, how about you?" Mikey looks up from the song book expectantly.    

Justin shifts in his seat nervously and shakes his head. "I'm good, thanks."    

"Oh I don't think so. Everybody sings, popstar. Bar rules." Chelsea grins at him and takes a sip of her beer.    

"No, it's ok. I'll pass."     

If I know my friends, they aren't going to let this go and they'll have him up on that stage, whether he likes it or not.     

"Dude...me and Mike are doing Thriller." Rob says suddenly. "Linds...put him down to sing with us."    

"No...really...I'm good just hanging out."

"You already lost." Lindsay chuckles as she quickly scribbles Justin's name down and hurries off to the bar to turn in our song choices.   

Once Justin gets a couple beers in his system, he loosens up a bit, and starts talking sports with the boys. He's quickly fitting in with my friends, and I really couldn't be happier.  When I'm not working, my spare time is going to be spent with these four and my parents, so I desperately need Justin to get along with them. He and my mother clicked instantly, but my father spent most of the day ignoring him. As long as he can atleast blend in with my friends, it won't be too bad.     

"So, you guys are coming to the Halloween party Friday, right?"    

"I don't know. Hadn't really thought about it."    

Every year, the bar hosts this huge Halloween bash. It's been a few years since I was able to attend it, but it's basically the same each year. Everyone gets trashed and sings terrible karaoke versions of classic songs. Nothing out of the ordinary for this place, except for the mandatory rule that everyone wear a costume.    

"You have to come Maddie!" Chelsea squeals. "It's going to be so bad ass."    

"I seriously doubt we can find costumes in two days."    

"Use mine and Rob's from last year." She shrugs. "We went as Bonnie and Clyde."    

"Not surprising." I giggle before looking over at Justin. "What do you think?"    

"I could get into that." He nods slowly.     

I think I might die of shock. Is he actually agreeing to do something that doesn't center around him? I can't believe this.    

"Sweet. I'll bring them by in the morning." Chelsea smiles happily.    

Justin grins and kisses my forehead before slipping out of the booth and heading to the bar.     

I think that's what draws me to him. He never fails to surprise the hell out of me. It's like, he always does the exact opposite of what I expect and for some reason, I can't get enough of it.    

I really don't know how much longer I can go on like this. Eventually, someone is going to see right through me, and there's no telling what the hell could happen then.    

A couple hours and loads of drinks later, our table is the loudest and drunkest in the bar. Each of us has been up to sing several times, each performance more off key and horrible than the last. For some reason, we've latched onto doing every 80's song on the list. I'd say we're about half way through it now, and we'll probably finish the whole damn list before the night is through.     

We're making complete fools of ourselves, but atleast we're having fun. That's always been the thing with my friends, we never cared what we were doing as long as we enjoyed ourselves.     

"Alright, next up is Justin and Madison."    

At the sound of my name, my head snaps up and I look over at Justin. I did not put our names in for anything, so I can only assume one of my friends did.    

Justin smiles and reaches for my hand, then guides me up to the stage, our table giggling and shouting the entire time.     

He did it. He put our names in, and I have no idea what the hell he could have picked. With my luck, it's probably some stupid rap song that I've never heard, and I'll end up looking like a jackass in front of a full bar.    

A familiar keyboard intro begins as soon as we step on the small stage and I'm sure there's no hiding the shock on my face.     

He grins at me and pulls me against his side. "I do know one Fleetwood Mac song." He kisses my cheek quickly, then starts to belt out the words to the song.

If I could turn the page
In time then I'd rearrange just a day or two
Close my, close my, close my eyes
But I couldn't find a way
So I'll settle for one day to believe in you
Tell me, tell me, tell me lies
Tell me lies
Tell me sweet little lies
Tell me lies, tell me, tell me lies
Oh, no, no you can't disguise
You can't disguise, no you can't disguise
Tell me lies
Tell me sweet little lies
        

He's unbelievable. You could have asked me this afternoon, if I thought he'd actually learned anything about me, and I probably would have died laughing. Granted, remembering a favorite band isn't exactly a big deal to a normal person, but for us...this is big. He's done everything he can to prove that he doesn't care, and can't wait to have me out of his life, but this contradicts all of that.     

I don't know how he does it, but he never ceases to amaze me. Suddenly, it doesn't seem so hard to believe that I could be falling for him.

 

***********************************    

 

"Well, what do ya think?" I turn to face Chelsea and strike a pose.    

"Looks better on you than it did on me." She shrugs. "I didn't have the ass for the skirt."    

"You don't really have the ass for those pants either." I giggle as she sticks her tongue out at me. I straighten my black sleeveless blouse before throwing on my white jacket, then turn to face her again. "Exactly why do you and Rob go as a couple every year?"    

Every year, whether I'm there to see it or not, Chelsea sends me pictures from the party, and every year, her and Rob are dressed as some famous couple. They've done them all... Romeo and Juliet, Bonnie and Clyde, Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, and...I would never dream of telling him this, but one year they even went as Justin and Britney.    

Now, if Rob and Chelsea were dating, it'd make sense, but they aren't. Although, they did have a little fling several years ago.        

"It's an inside joke. Ya know...our relationship was doomed from the start, so we just always went as couples that never worked out." She laughs and rolls her eyes. "It's corny as hell, I know."    

"A little bit. Who are you supposed to be this year?"    

She smiles before grabbing her long black wig and throwing it on. "Sonny and Cher. Duh. Anyway, enough about me...let's hear some dirt on the king of pop."    

"There isn't any." I shrug as I place my beret neatly on my head. "Justin's...he's pretty great actually."    

"Maddie my dear, you cannot lie to me. Don't sit there and expect me to believe the guy is perfect. Besides, he's so not your type."    

I swallow the lump that's formed in my throat and shrug again. I knew it. I knew she'd be able to tell. I guess now I'll finally have to tell someone the truth and suffer the consequences.    

"It's...it's hard to explain."    

"Understandable. I mean, I can tell you guys are crazy about each other. It's just so weird."        

I breathe a sigh of relief and smile as Chelsea continues to ramble. Someone is definitely watching out for me. I thought for sure, she'd seen through us and was going to call me on it. Right now, I'm thanking God that she didn't. We can't afford to have anyone figure us out. It's too late to get out of our lie now.    

"Anyway, you ready?" She asks suddenly.    

I look myself over in the mirror one final time, smooth the wrinkles from my black silk pencil skirt, make sure my beret is in place, and apply another coat of lip gloss.    

"Yeah, I'm ready."    

I follow her down the stairs and my breath catches in my throat at the sight of Justin in his costume. He totally looks the part of a 1930's gangster and it's absolutely adorable. The man looks damn good in a fedora and pinstripes.  

"Check this out!" He says excitedly and holds up a fake Tommy gun. "How fuckin cool is this?"    

"It's a costume sweetie. You aren't part of the mob." I chuckle and kiss him quickly.     

"Alright, let's go. I have beer to drink and songs to butcher." Rob calls out as he heads for the door.    

"You four wait right there." My mother heads for us, camera in hand.   

"Mom...come on..." I whine.     

Suddenly, I know how every teenager in the world feels when they're trying to leave for the prom.    

"Oh just let me get a few." She laughs and shakes her head. "You all look great."    

We pose for several pictures, and finally head out of the house. Within 20 minutes, we're seated at Rob and Chelsea's usual booth, waiting on our first round of drinks. Mikey and Lindsay arrive not long after we do, Mikey dressed as the phantom of the opera, while Lindsay is in a full Playboy bunny costume.    

The bar is even more packed than usual and for the first time in God knows how long, I actually feel like a normal person. Tonight, I don't have to worry about fans, the press, deadlines or record labels. I can just be with the people I care about and have a good time.    

Another hour passes before Beth, Jc and Trace show up, and I can't hold in my laughter at the sight of them. Jc is clearly supposed to be Johnny Cash, while Trace is dressed in a ridiculously tight batman costume.    

He really is a huge dork.    

However, Beth is the shocking one. I fully expected her to walk in here, wearing a T-shirt and jeans, claiming to be a librarian or something. Instead, she's dressed in the skimpiest wonder woman costume imaginable, hair and make-up done to the nines. She almost doesn't even look like the same person.    

Before I know it, we're in the exact same situation we were the other night. Our whole table is good and buzzed, arguing over song choices and rushing to turn them in. Beth wandered off awhile ago and I haven't seen her since.    

Knowing her, she probably ditched us and went back to the hotel to read.    

"Alright...I got it. This is gonna be the shit man." Justin grins and writes his next song down before taking it to the bar.    

"Man...you guys have to come back more often. That guy is cool as hell, Maddie. You got yourself a good one girl." Lindsay says while watching Justin strut off.    

"Yeah, I do." I force the best smile I can and nod slowly.    

It almost hurts to hear that. Number one, he's done nothing but treat me like shit since the night we met. I know, I haven't exactly been an angel either, but atleast I'm trying.    

Secondly, he isn't mine and I'm positive that he never will be. Once this thing runs its course, we'll go our separate ways and that'll be the end of it. He's putting on a show, and even I can admit, he's giving a damn good performance. There's moments where he even has me fooled.    

When they call his name over the loud speaker, he quickly hops up on the stage and the intro to "Billie Jean" booms throughout the bar.     

He really can be adorable sometimes.    

As he sings and dances along, I can't help but smile. After tonight, it's becoming very clear that I'm falling for him, and I'm afraid there isn't anything I can do to stop it.

 

*******************************    

 

We stumble into my parents house, Justin shushing my uncontrollable giggles and quickly collapse onto the couch.     

I can't even begin to guess what time it is, but I know it's pretty late. My parents both probably went to bed hours ago, and I'm sure if I keep laughing like this, one of them is bound to wake up.     

Without thinking, I straddle Justin's lap and slide my arms around his neck.     

"Madison...what the hell?"     

"Shut up." I mutter before my lips connect with his.    

It takes him a few minutes to relax and kiss me back, but when he does, electricity surges through my entire body. He fingers dig into my hips and he presses me into his lap, trying to build some friction where we both need it the most.    

Suddenly, the light at the top of the stairs comes on and my father's voice calls out to us.    

"Maddie...is that you?"    

I pull away from Justin and try to suppress my giggle. "Yeah, daddy...we just got home."    

"Alright...make sure you turn off all the lights."    

"You're drunk, your dad almost caught that....and I think we both need to sleep. It's almost five in the morning." Justin yawns loudly and shakes his head.  

"Probably."I giggle. "Look...thanks for being so great the last couple days. I really appreciate it."    

"It's all good." He shrugs. "I didn't think I would, but I kind of like it here. Your friends are awesome."    

"Ya know...this is a lot easier when we can get along."    

"Yeah, it is." He smiles and shakes his head. "Truce?"    

"Yeah...truce." I nod as I slide off his lap. He quickly makes his way to the guest bedroom and I plop down on the couch and let out a loud sigh.     

I really don't know how much longer I can keep up this act. Hiding these feelings is damn near impossible and it just gets worse everyday.     

It's been hard to hide them with him hating me, what's going to happen now that we've agreed to get along?

 

 

 

"Little Lies"-Fleetwood Mac        



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story