Author's Chapter Notes:
comments are appreciated :-)

Chapter Three.

            Cierra rolled over in her full sized bed, pulling her blue and pink flowered comforter up under chin. I could get used to this bed she thought. Rolling her head slightly, she picked her watch off her night stand and read the time. 3:15pm. Shit. She could hear AJ rummaging around in the kitchen, probably putting things away. Hmm, if I just stay really quite and still – “CIERRA! YOU NEED TO GET UP AND GET YOUR ASS OUT HERE!”

            Throwing the comforter back, she groaned, “Well that didn’t last long.” Standing up, she put her slippers on and walked out of the room. Making her way down the hall, she glanced into AJ’s room which was diagonal across the hall from her own. “You’ve already started unpacking?” She asked, noticing pictures that were hung up and her computer already plugged in. “How long have you been up?”

            AJ glanced down the hall as Cierra got closer and grinned, “About 12:30. I went downstairs and the man at the front desk pointed me in the direction of the grocery store and I picked up a few things. I really like this apartment complex. We have people at the front desk, how cool is that!? The movers brought the couch and stuff up a little after I got back. I’m surprised that didn’t wake you, they weren’t exactly the most coordinated group of men.”

            Cierra rolled her eyes, “Did you take happy pills? Oh, what’s this?” She picked up the newspaper that was lying on the island and went over to the black leather couch and sat down, pulling AJ’s blanket around her tanned legs. “Pictures of Justin from the airport have already made it to print. That’s slightly creepy and funny at the same time.” She pulled the newspaper a part until she got to the gossip section. Something about a quarter of the way down made her freeze “Oh no.”

            AJ sat the dishes she was putting away down and walked over to her friend, “What’s wrong?”

            Cierra pointed to the picture. It was taken earlier that day while they were stopped at a stoplight; she had just laid her head on Justin’s shoulder. The headline read, The Other Woman. AJ giggled, “You’re the other woman. How does that feel? At least you can’t see your face. That’s still pretty funny. I wonder if he’s shitting a brick yet. Did they break up while we were on the plane because I had no idea until he chewed you out last night? You should call your mom. You’ve been here less than a day and you’re already causing trouble. ” She winked and then walked back into the kitchen to resume putting dishes away.

            Her ringing cell phone made her jump and she ran back towards her room to grab it. Looking at the caller I.D. she didn’t recognize the number and walked back towards the living room. “I don’t know who this is. They’ll just have to leave a message.” Flipping the phone open, she hit ignore before sitting it next to the newspaper and going into the kitchen to help AJ. “Now, I am hungry.” Her phone rang again.

            “Persistent fucker,” She groaned walking back into the living room and grabbing her phone, this time when she flipped it open she pressed send to answer the call, “Hello?”

            “Cierra?” a male voice asked.

            “Depends on whose calling,” She responded.

            “Justin. We met last night,” He added. Cierra grinned and looked at AJ who had an eyebrow raised. She mouthed the name and AJ’s eyes got wide before she broke out into a huge grin and resumed putting the last box of dishes away. “How did you get my phone number?” she wanted to know.

            She heard him moving around on the other end, muttering ‘damn it’ and then finally answering her question, “Sorry, I hit my foot on this damn recliner. Um, I have people who know people.”

            She rolled eyes as if he could see her, “yeah, that doesn’t make you sound like a creeper at all.”

            His laugh made her smile. She really loved his laugh. “So, I don’t know if you’ve seen the morning paper but there is a picture from last night in there and I just wanted to say I am sorry. I thought we had lost them and had I known, well, I am sorry.”

            Cierra sat back down on the couch, “It’s okay, and you can’t even see my face. We’ll let them ponder on that one. From what I read in the article I am Halle Berry, Alicia Keyes or Rhianna. Too young to be the first one, not enough talent to be the second one and my hair isn’t short enough to be the third one. They suck more at this game than I do. ”

            Justin laughed quietly, “Well I just wanted to warn you. It will either stick or it will just pass over. I doubt they can find out who you are but these people are like leeches.”

            Cierra sighed, looking down at the magazine, “Well, that’s part of your life. I can handle myself but I don’t think I have anything to worry about. Thank you for your concern though, it’s very sweet.”

            Justin leaned forward in the chair so his elbows were resting on his knees, his cell phone still pulled up to his ear, “I was actually wondering something. I am having a get together for a friend’s birthday on Saturday around 1 and I was hoping you and AJ might want to come. You can meet some people in your neighborhood and get some good food,” He bit the side of his finger nail, waiting for her answer.

            “Where exactly do you live?” She questioned.

            “You know that neighborhood a couple blocks down?”

            She shook her head as if he could see her, and then replied “I was sleeping remember? But AJ went out this morning so she might know. You live that close? That’s crazyyy.”

            Justin sat back in the chair, bringing his feet up on his coffee table, crossing one over the other, “So you guys will come?”

            Cierra looked behind her at AJ, “Justin is having a birthday get together for one of his friends this weekend, do you want to go?” Its Thursday and we don’t start work until Monday, say yes! She thought with a smile on her face.

            AJ shrugged her shoulders, “Sure, why not? Do we need to bring anything?”

            Cierra spoke into the phone, “Do you want us to bring anything?”

            Justin smiled, “No, just the two of you. See you Saturday.”

            She leaned her head back against the arm rest of the couch and grinned, “See you Saturday.” With that, they hung up.

            AJ walked around the island and into the living room, sitting on the other end of the couch. “Hey daydreamer, finish unpacking your room and get ready so we can go explore!”

            Rolling her eyes, Cierra threw her legs off the couch and stood up, “It’s like 4 in the afternoon. What are we going to explore?”

            AJ grinned, “The night life.”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story