"So, who didn't get there Homecoming ticket?" JC asked as he jumped a pole on the way to their car.

"Not, me!" Joey said, doing the same and receiving a glare from Chris.

"You better, Superman. If you don't get one, you can't sing with us, man. You've only got two more days, hurry it up!" he scolded, following the two previous examples.

"Come on guys, lay off him, he'll get it," Justin cut in. Then he looked at Joey, "Won't you?" He then showed the guys up by sliding across the hood of their car and to the driver's side. "Get in!" All the guys piled in & he started the engine, heading to the diner they hung at after school everyday.

"Who are you taking Lance?" JC asked as they walked thru the door. He looked at him with shock as if he didn't already know.

"Melissa," he said when JC shrugged his shoulders, and pushed him into their usual booth.

"Oh, yea, I forgot, you two are dating now," he chuckled.

"It took you guys long enough!" Justin said bringing their drinks over.

This got the boys started talking about who they were taking to the dance. “I’m taking Kelly of course,” Joey said.

“Dani said she’ll go,” Chris told them.

“I asked Sarah,” JC answered bashfully.

“Finally?” they all gaped. “Go, C! I knew you liked her,” Justin cheered.

“Yeah, yeah. So what about you?”

“I saw this really cute girl when I bought my ticket. She’s got long brown hair, blue eyes, she’s small but not skinny in weight. And kinda cute when she blushes.” He went on & on but never mentioned the girl’s name.

“Ok, we got the point, Bounce,” Lance laughed. Justin blushed & finished his soda.

NEXT DAY  Saberly was walking through the hall, going to drop off stuff at the music room. When she reached the door she heard some boys talking.

“I’m telling you, if he doesn’t get up the courage to ask the girl selling tickets,” Joey started. “He’s going to miss his chance.”

“Yeah, I know, the dance is next week,” Chris said.

“But he barely knows her, is he sure she’s the one he wants to ask?” Lance asked. They all had a protective nature over the ‘baby’ of their little group of friends.

“Absolutely. You heard him last night. He’s totally crushing on her. And you know Justin wouldn’t ask a girl out unless he really felt something,” JC answered.

“true.”
---
Saberly practically ran back down the hall, totally shocked at what she heard. ‘[i]He CAN'T like me. It’d crush Nicole. She likes him, not me.[/i]’ She was so busy fighting the battle in her head that she ran into a tall, skinny boy. She looked up & who do you think it was?

“Whoa, I’m sorry,” Justin apologized.

“No, no. it was my fault. I wasn't looking. I’m sorry.” She went to rush off to the office because it was Lunch but he stopped her.

“Hey, wait, so for homecoming, it’s a Masquerade?”

Saberly froze, thinking he’d ask her to the dance. “Y-yup.”

“Who are you goin’ with?” he asked.

She looked around, not at him & stuttered. “Um – Patrick.”

“Cool, so, uh, do you know who your friend’s going with?”

“I think she’s going solo.”

“Hmm, ok...”As he said this, she noticed a small smile on his face. “Ok, well I have to go because I’m going to be late.”

“Ok, bye.”
---
Nicole opened her locker, putting her books in her bag on the back of her chair. When she took the book off the shelf, something fluttered out. She picked up the red rose, a note tied to it with ribbon.

20 MINUTES LATER   Nicole sat at the ticket booth, a shy grin on her face, looking around the room for Justin. Saberly walked up and dropped her bag, "Man! It's this close to Homecoming and I still have homework in over half of my classes!" Nicole just laughed. "What's makin you so giggly?" she asked.

Nicole raised the top flap of her book bag, and there sat a plump red rose, with a bit of ribbon attached and a small note with beautiful print on it.

“What's that?" Saberly asked, and reached for it.

"Be careful with it!" Nicole said anxiously.

"I will," Saberly replied, and read the note. "YOU'RE GOING WITH JUSTIN?!" Saberly squealed.

"SHHHH!!!" Nicole hushed her, "Yes, I am, but keep it down girl! I didn't even wig out that much!"

“Oh, I know you will later at home.”

Saberly and Nicole had been best friends for a little more than 11 years, since that's about how long ago Nicole's mother adopted Saberly. Her parents left her at an orphanage when she was 5 years old, and was in their care for almost a year, when she decided to run away during a field trip. She hid in a trashcan nearby, and later on in the evening fell asleep. The owners came out to throw some garbage away, and saw her in there, they brought her inside, and saw her wristband.

Debby said the house was getting a little too quiet with Ty not around so often anymore, so she decided to adopt her. Saberly has lived with them ever since, and been inseparable with Nicole from the day she was brought in.

“Yeah, true but not here where everyone will see,” Nicole laughed.

The rest of lunch went by normal, well except Nicole noticing smiles from Justin across the room. She of course smiled back.
Chapter End Notes:
AN: i hope this still fits the challenge. my co-writer has a plan lol. review!


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story