CLICK. CLICK. CLICK. These are the sounds I hear everyday at work and it's exciting. Sitting in my musty Beemer, drinking stale Starbucks coffee and waiting. Waiting for my target to emerge from their hiding place so I can get my money shot, as they call it. Yes, I am a paparazzi, but with a twist.

When I meet people, they often ask me what I do for a living and when I tell them, their mouths drop to the floor. Maybe that's because who I'm with when they ask me. I'm with Justin Timberlake.

Then their next question is to him. What the hell? You're friends with a pap? And all he can do is shrug. I know I make him feel uncomfortable when we go to these fancy parties and such, but what can I do? He shouldn't invite me to these things, it gets us into awkward waters.
A lot of his friends have warned him about me, saying I'm only using him. Waiting for the perfect moment to get the shot, the story that will break him in a million pieces. But luckily he refuses to believe it, and I'm glad he does. Because even though I am a pap, one of Justin's worst enemies, I have respect. I don't push my camera in people's faces and I don't drive at high speeds down Rodeo Drive just to get the perfect shot.

I have one spot where I park my car, a spot where I have gotten a million shots. I've seen Brad and Angie taking the kids for walks, I've seen Jessica Alba walk her dog and I've seen Jake Gyllanhal ride his bike. And they all know I'm there.

I was first introduced to the spot by Justin. Yes Justin, who decided than rather having his name tarnished by his pap best friend he would rather help her.

"If you park your car here you'll see everyone," Justin instructed me the first day I came to 'my' spot.

"Everyone?" I asked raising a skeptically eyebrow at him. He laughed and shook his head.

"Yes. I'll tell them you're here so they won't freak out. This way you'll stay out of trouble and get paid," he replied and patted my leg. I was a bit unsure at first, but after he left me a few days later, after Justin had made sure I sat at that spot, celebrities came. A few even decided to bring me coffee and let me take photos.


It was a weird scenario but it worked. It kept me out of trouble and gave Justin his sanity. Today however was a whole different situation. I was called by my 'agent' and asked to come in for a very important meeting.

"Here's your new assignment," he said, slipping an envelope across the table to me. I picked it up and opened it, then I nearly fell out of my chair.

"How?" I asked, staring at the photo in amazement, He grinned at me and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Last week at Hollywood Boulevard," he answered. "It's the only shot anyone could get of them. I want you to get another, a better one."

"Uh..." I began, I was still trying to form a sentence in my head.

"Two thousand dollars," he replied, "For every photo you get."

"But.." I started again, trying to tell him that there was no way I could do this assignment even though it paid big bucks. There was no way I was going to break my daily routine for this. No way. "I can't."

"What do you mean you can't?" he asked glaring at me. I gulped and looked at the photo once more. I knew someone at the agency hadn't taken it because it was taken with a wider lens than we carried.

"Well I'm working on something else right now..." I lied trying to squirm my way out of it. He eyed me suspiciously. I wondered how to tell him without telling him. That's right my boss had no idea who my best friend was, and I wasn't planning on telling him anytime soon.

"Well cancel it ok? And just do as I ask," he ordered and I nodded. It was hard to say no when he just stared down at me with his beady eyes.

"Ok," I whispered and hastily got up.

"Where are you going?" He demanded of me.

"To..." I started, "To get on it. There's no better time like the present." And then I left, as fast as my legs could carry me.


I was still having an anxiety attack when I opened the door to my condo, trying to figure out what the hell I was going to tell Justin. I couldn't lie, because somehow or the other he'd figure it out. I stared at the picture again and blinked.

Ok, this was strange. Seeing a photo of my best friend and his girlfriend leaving the jewelry store that Justin had told me he was taking her to. I knew the reason they were in that store, and I knew that Justin didn't want the world to know it just yet. I had promised I wouldn't tell a soul, that I wouldn't go blabbing to my co-workers about it yet here I was being asked to get the story.

I could just make it up, I reasoned but then I would loose my job once people found out I was lying. I was torn. I had no idea what the hell I was going to do. I jumped as the ringing of my cell phone brought me back to my senses.

"H-Hello?"

"Why are you so nervous? Are you on a stake out?" It was Trace, Justin's other best friend and my better half. He cackled horrendously in my ear and I winced.

"No," I told him and put the picture back in the envelope, placing it as far away from me as I could. "I was just looking at some new pictures."

"Oh! Of who?" He wanted to know, damn he was always so bloody nosy. I sighed and rubbed my temples. I wanted to say of our dear friend Justin but refrained.

"Brad and Angie," I lied and Trace sighed, disappointed.
'Again?" he asked, "You always take boring shots of them. I thought it was someone exciting."

"Well sorry to disappoint but no," I said and sat down on the nearest chair. "What's up? Or did you just call to annoy me?"

"No. I just called to remind you about tomorrow night," he replied and I sighed. Right, tomorrow night. The night Justin and Jess were planning to announce their engagement. "You're still planning on showing up right? Or is their another celebrity that needs your attention that night?"

"Of course I'm planning on showing up," I snapped and sighed. "He's one of my best friends. I have to be there."

"Good," Trace laughed and I shook my head at him. He was insane. "Because I didn't want to be there alone with all the crazies. You haven't told anyone about it right?"

"What? No!" I answered shocked, wondering if he knew. I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

"Ok, ok keep your panties on," he chuckled. "I was just joking."

"Well it's not funny," I answered and took off my shoes.

"It kinda is," he answered and I knew he was smiling.

"It is not," I smiled back, he always knew how to cheer me up. "Ok it kinda is. But seriously did Justin say anything to you?"

"About how he would kill you if anyone found out?" Trace asked and I nodded. "Yeah, as usual."

"God," I muttered and began to feel anxious again. This was stressful, Justin liked to plan things then threaten me with my life if I told a soul. It was as if he didn't trust me.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story