NEXT DAY     Nicole sluggishly wheeled around the set. She was up all night hearing her father crash around drunkenly & then she couldn’t go to sleep out of worry. Why did a child of such a young age have to have this burden? She avoided her dad as much as possible that morning; only being around him in the car. Her body was so soar she had to use her wheelchair.

She startled when someone touched her shoulder. She looked up fearfully only to be smiled at by JC & Justin. “Hey, it’s just us,” JC said calmly.

“Hi, boys. W-what's up?”

“You seem scared, what's wrong?” Justin asked, a frown gracing his small face.

“Nothing, why?”

“You seem nervous, kinda jumpy,” JC answered.

“Nope, nothing wrong,” she said quickly.

Justin reached out without a word & hugged her. JC saw her almost grimace in pain as Justin’s arms closed around her. But then he smiled as Nicole seemed to relax. “Sometimes you just need a good hug from a friend,” Justin stated, his southern accent breaking through. They both giggled & started tickling each other.

JC held Nicole’s chair in place with his leg so it wouldn’t roll & got her tickle spot in the middle of her back. Justin tickled her sides as she got his. His hand slipped to her arm, trying to pull away her hand while they laughed. “Ow!” she winced & stopped.

“What, what’d I do?” the boy asked nervously. He never wanted to hurt her. She was his best friend & he loved her.

“It’s not you. I just fell again,” she answered. “You know how clumsy I am.” It was partly true, she never had good balance but she also never flinched away that bad.

“Well, just take it easy for awhile,” JC told her.

“Yeah, & if we get to be too much of knuckleheads, just tell us to back off.” Justin then acted like he was telling a secret, “He’s not as mature as he looks.”

“I heard that, Timberlake!” JC laughed & then proceeded to chase him around the wheelchair.

“Nic, hide me!” Justin said in a mock scared voice. “He’s going to get me!”

“Don’t worry, I’ll get him later when we get home. I wouldn’t hurt you. You're too pretty.” JC hugged her.

“That’s what you think,” she mumbled under her breath.

Before either boy could question Nicole about her statement, they heard a gruff voice coming their way. “Nicole Marie Evans! Come here!” Alan barked, storming over. He yanked her arm, his other hand shoving her chair away from the boys. “I thought I told you to STAY AWAY from them!” he growled harshly.

Justin & JC threw each other confused & concerned looks. “J-JC, that wasn't what I think it was, was it?”

“I’m sure Mr Evans is just having a bad day. We’ll see her tomorrow.”

Justin turned back to look over his shoulder as JC led him to the exit. He furrowed his brow with worry & thought, ‘I hope she’s ok. Something’s off.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: mmcera