SIX MONTHS LATER,        Justin grumbled as there was an incessant tapping at his shoulder. He opened one eye, closing it against the harsh sun in the room. When the tapping wouldn't leave he turned his head to look behind him. “Josh, what do you want?” he mumbled.

“It’s 8, time to get up buddy.”

“Ugh, ok. Just let me wake Nic and we’ll be out.”

JC nodded and left. Nicole had moved in with them officially when her father’s custody was taken away. Lynn was now her guardian, insisting that it wouldn't be right to place the child with strangers. The first few nights there, Nicole was allowed to sleep in Justin’s bed as a meaning of feeling safer. There was an extra bed in the room and Lynn told the kids that once her son turned 14 they’d have to stay in their own beds. But for right now, while Nicole still suffered from nightmares, it was ok.

Justin watched as his best friend slept. She was no longer pale and thin all the time. She had turned 13 last month and he thought she was the cutest girl he knew. She had stopped waking up at every sound but would still jump at loud voices or noises. They’d gotten her counseling at the court’s request and had begun healing from the damage done all those years.

“Nicole,” he called. “Sweetie, time to get up.”

“I’m up,” she answered. She sat up, hugged him and he helped her to her chair.

“So, you ready to come see the show today?” he asked as everyone was leaving the apartment.

“Yup, today’s a new day,” she smiled brightly.

Completed
MrsTimberlake18 is the author of 41 other stories.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: mmcera