"Raleigh, come ON!" Dan called impatiently from the front door. They should have left fifteen minutes ago for the airport. Lord knows he'd been ready to leave then. So had Raleigh's guard that was driving them. "You're going to make us miss our flight!" Looking at the watch that adorned his wrist, for the sixth time, Dan sighed loudly. "Make that sixteen minutes late." He mumbled and he leaned his head back, hitting it against the door frame with a loud thud.

Finally he heard her heels clicking against the tile of the foyer. "I'm coming, you can untwist your panties now."

"You're the one who threatened my manhood if I made us late but you're allowed to? That's so not fair."

"Thus is the world of women." She gave him a smile as she lightly tapped his cheek with her hand as she walked by him and out into the sunny Los
Angeles weather.

Letting out a light chuckle, Dan could only shake his head as he closed the door behind him and locked it. When they finally arrived at the airport,
they tried to rush to get their boarding passes but then realized there really was no reason. The line for security was ridiculously long. As they
stood there, debating on whether or not to use Raleigh's guard services to their full advantage, he took the liberty of deciding for them. Crowded
places made him nervous.

"Follow me please, Miss Coons, Mr. Cooper." Michael said curtly before weaving them back out of the line and around to a private entrance. Raleigh watched as he flashed something to the security guards and they quickly let them through.

She hated using her status for personal gain, but she had been the one to make them late so she had to be the one to make sure they got on their
flight.

But really, how many people needed their flight at six a.m.? On a Saturday no less.

Mechanically, Raleigh and Dan slipped off their shoes and any jewelry and metal that adorned them before stepping through the detector. Raleigh had taken our her navel and tongue rings a couple years prior, so she didn't have to worry about forgetting those anymore. It was bad enough with
earrings, let alone other body piercings.

Finally they boarded their first class non-stop flight to Nashville, Tennessee, and it wasn't until after they'd taken off that Raleigh fully began feeling the sadness and excitement as it weighed down on her. She was so excited that two of her best friends in the entire world were finally getting married, but she also couldn't help but to feel sad at the thought of how much they'd all grown up. They weren't kids anymore that snuck away
from home to have parties at the field or to go swimming at the hole.

She was sure that no matter how much time passes, they would all remain the best of friends that would do anything for one another, but they were
adults now, with responsibilities. Soon they would all be parents and they couldn't stay out late, just hanging out. But as sad as she was, she knew
that once she retired from her career - she wasn't going to be singing and doing huge tours forever, she wasn't even sure if she wanted to keep going after she and Dan were married - she and Dan would settle down in little Shelby Forest with any kids they might have by then and they would grow up with their friends' children and learn the strong bond their parents shared. Nothing would come between them.

Unless of course two of them decided they were destined to be together and the son of one of their friends got the daughter of another pregnant then decided to dump the poor girl and move far, far way. But now wasn't the time to think of such things.

"Hey, you all right?" Dan's soft voice broke through Raleigh's mental rant and she turned her head to look into his beautiful emerald eyes.

"I'm fine." She gave him a warm smile as he took her hand in his. "I just can't help but to think of how the first wedding of our small-knit group of
friends kind of feels like an ending."

"I know what you mean. But just remember, an ending is really only the beginning of something much greater." A large smile broke out onto his face and he tried to hold back a laugh. "That was good, I'm going to have to write that one down."

"You are just dripping with cheese." But ironically she felt herself laugh along with him.

"Hey, you know you like my cheese."

"Maybe I do like it. Much more than I should." She winked at him and leaned in close so only he could hear what she had to say. "And maybe I want some of that right here, right now." When she pressed a hot kiss at the hollow of his neck, she smiled as she heard, and felt, him groan.

"You really are the cruelest person alive, Raleigh Jean."

Sitting back in her seat, she feigned innocence. "I don't know what you mean."

"I bet."

"Do you really want to go there?" Raleigh raised an eyebrow at him in question and he immediately began shaking his head.

"Hell, no. You're brother is never going to let me live this one down as it is." She could only laugh as she turned back to look out the window,
watching as the clouds passed them by.

Four and a half hours later, the pilot turned on the "fasten seatbelt" sign and announced in a few short minutes they would be landing at Nashville
International Airport. When it finally came into view from her window, Raleigh could hardly stand the excitement she felt at finally being home
again.

When they were finally able to leave the plane, Raleigh had to fight the urge to run and find her friends that were picking them up. As they came
closer to terminal, the urge became stronger. Finally it came into view and an enormous smile plastered itself on her face when she spotted Carly,
Justin, and Bobbie standing directly in front of her, searching for her and Dan. Without another thought, she bolted towards them and right into the arms of Carly.

Dan laughed as he watched her nearly squeeze the life out of her friends and brother. When he got to her side he gave Bobbie and Justin a man hug
before giving Carly a real hug. He stood back and spoke with Justin and Bobbie as Carly and Raleigh spoke in high-pitched excited terms none of
them could understand. It was a girl language only they understood.

Eventually Raleigh calmed down long enough to turn to them and say, "Let's go get our bags."

When she turned to walk away, still holding onto Carly's hand, Carly hesitated and glanced at Justin before stopping Raleigh.

"Uh, actually we have one more person to pick up. His flight lands in about ten minutes."

"Oh? Someone coming in for the wedding?" Raleigh had a feeling she knew exactly who that person was and tried not to let it bother her. She'd seen and spoken to him only when absolutely necessary for some detail or other about the wedding party they were throwing for the bride and groom and that was all. She would have rather have been able to wait to see him until said party, but she had to be civil and courteous. Their best friends' wedding was not a time for them to fight.

"The best man." Carly shrugged, trying to soften the blow with her soft voice before quickly adding, "His flight arrived nearly the same time as yours so we figured it would be better to just pick ya'll up at once."

"Of course." Raleigh waved away the ridiculousness of having someone else pick Josh up separately just because of their history, but she had to swallow back nearly hysterical laughter.

It's been five years. When would she get over the distaste of having to see him at big functions like this?

Bobbie suggested they sit at Starbucks and they all got some much needed coffee while they waited. Knowing that caffeine would only worsen her anxiety, Raleigh ordered a decaf latte.

"So, Bobbie, how is Kat?"

"I wouldn't know. I dumped the skank's ass a month ago when she slept with Adam."

Raleigh felt her jaw drop and eyes widen at the news. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"You've been busy." He shrugged before taking a careful sip of his still hot coffee.

"Bobbie, you know I'm never too busy for you."

"It doesn't matter. It's over and done with." Raleigh wanted to say, ‘yes it does matter' but knew there was no point in starting a fight. She had been busy and felt incredibly guilty for having neglected her twin at a time when he might have needed her most.

Shaking it off, Raleigh and Carly lost themselves in another onslaught of Carly-Ray only topics as Justin, Bobbie, and Dan spoke business, sports, and cars. Typical guy stuff.

Before they knew it, the flight from New York was being announced as landed and Raleigh swallowed back her anxiety once again as she stood to wait with the rest of the group. She felt Dan take her hand and give it a squeeze and she looked up into his beautiful smile. He was probably the most understanding man she'd ever known. If she ever lost him - again - she didn't know what she'd do. Probably nothing anywhere near as extreme as the last time - nearly killing herself with sex, drugs and alcohol - but she knew she'd still be an insane mess.

Hearing Carly's excited squeal, Raleigh tore herself away from her thoughts and looked up just in time to see her hugging Josh, and only one thought passed through her mind.

Oh-my-god!

The boy looked so good Raleigh could hardly stand it. Last time she'd seen him - was it on TV or in person? - his hair had grown out a bit, but now it was cut and spiked the way she'd always liked it when they'd been dating. His face was clean shaven and his dark jeans and black button-down shirt ensemble made his blue eyes look as though they were shining. When he got closer and hugged his best friend hello, she got a whiff of his cologne and discreetly took in a larger breath of the intoxicating smell. He looked amazing and smelled even better.

What the hell is wrong with you?

Raleigh composed herself so when Josh finally looked at her and gave her that crooked smile he always did, the fact that her heart did a slight flip-flop inside her chest didn't show.

"Hello Raleigh." His voice, smooth as velvet, went straight through her and she suppressed a shiver.

"Hey Josh." She couldn't help it. She returned his smile and stepped forward to hug him. It was very brief, her fiancé was standing at her side
after all. When he turned to Dan, his smile never faltered as he greeted him warmly and shook his hand firmly. When did the scrawny boy she used to know and love grow up into such a...man?

After getting all their luggage off the conveyer belts, the group of six crammed into Justin's SUV and headed into town. They first dropped off Josh at his parents' house before heading to the Coons' where Raleigh and Dan were staying for the week and a half they'd be in town.

Justin and Carly got out of the car and said goodbye to them.

"What time do we have to go?" Raleigh asked Carly, setting her suitcase down on the ground.

"We'll be back here at two. The boys have to go pick up their tuxes at two-thirty and our appointment isn't until three. That should give you guys enough time to get settled and what-not."

"Oh, yeah." Hugging Carly once more and giving Justin a kiss on the cheek, Raleigh and Dan thanked them for picking them up from the airport before picking up their bags and turning to head into the house. As soon as they entered the front door the family swarmed she and Dan, offering tight hugs and words of welcome home. Raleigh hadn't been expecting her two older brothers to be there but she was happy that they were. And Alan had even brought his girlfriend and two kids. Raleigh had missed them so much she'd spared extra long hugs and kisses for them.

"We have presents for you two!" Raleigh said excitedly as she set down her carry-on and dug through it.

"Ray, you spoil them rotten." Alan had said it seriously but his smile said he didn't really care.

"They deserve it." Dan pitched in, watching as Morgan and Lucas tore into their neatly wrapped presents. When Morgan had hers open she let out a delighted squeal.

"Thank you so much! It's just like yours, Auntie Ray!" Morgan lunged herself at Raleigh and she picked her up.

"I know. It was your Uncle Dan's idea. He thought you were old enough for a bracelet with a real meaning." Letting go of Raleigh, Morgan jumped into her Uncle Dan's arms. Everyone could tell he was her hero at that moment.

"Thank you so much, Uncle Dan. I love it."

"I'm glad. You take good care of that, Morgan."

"Oh I will. I'll guard it with my life."

"Okay." Dan laughed and gave her one more squeeze before setting her down and helping her clasp the chain on her tiny wrist. It was a simple white-gold chain that dawned a single music note charm that held a diamond at each end.

Lucas had had more trouble opening his present but when he finally saw what it was, his reaction was not the same. He'd been really into trains lately so they'd gotten him a certificate to buy one of the largest train sets he's ever seen. Once they explained to him what it exactly was, he was ecstatic. Dan promised him he'd take him to get the train set of his choice sometime during the week.

Finally the chaos ebbed and Raleigh's mother, Deborah, told her that her bedroom was all set for them. "It's just as you left it."

Biting her lip, Raleigh curled her nose up a bit. "Not exactly how I left it though, right?" Deb let out a laugh and shook her head.

"Oh no, it's clean. Just everything else is how you left it."

"Okay, good." She sighed in relief that her mother had picked up the dirty clothes and dusted and changed the sheets so the first time Dan saw her bedroom, it wouldn't be in complete disarray.

Sure, they'd been together for five years now, and yes, they'd gone to Shelby on occasion for holidays, but Deb had always had one very strict rule. Dan was not allowed in Raleigh's room with her, so they'd always gotten a hotel room at the only motel in town. She never approved of this but didn't say a word. If she wanted to continue to be a bitch to her about something so trivial, then she'd be one right back. Dan and Keith, Raleigh's father, just always stood back and watched as they fought. Sometimes they'd make an excuse to leave.

But, finally, Deb came around and realized, if she wanted her daughter to stay with them while she was home, then she'd have to adjust to the fact that she was engaged to an older man and they did in fact have intercourse. Hell, she'd known they were sleeping together back when he was teaching and she was merely a student of his. Why did she suddenly mind so much now?

Telling her parents that they were going to go up and get settled in, Raleigh headed up the stairs but completely froze when she came to her white bedroom door. Good lord she'd completely forgotten.

This was going to be mortifying.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story