Author's Chapter Notes:
It's Friday and I'm feeling generous!  :)
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 09:27:09

Subject: Captain's Log

To: freckles_21@yahoo.com

From: desertrat@mail.mil.gov

Freckles,

This week is my two year mark.  Hard to believe it's been that long, huh?  Some days time seems to move at the speed of light and it seems like I've only been here a day or two and other times I feel each and every day.  It's especially hard being here when I know I'm missing things at home like holidays and birthdays.  (That's my way of wishing you an early Happy Birthday!)

I got your package last week and I felt bad.  You should be the one getting a package from me, not the other way around but know that I'll be thinking about you on Saturday (do you have big party plans?). The cookies and candy bars are awesome!  Several guys pledged their love for you and vowed if you were still available when they got home they would marry you.  So there you go!  Hope isn't gone...you've got some options! :)

I gotta go.  I have some Oreo's to guard.  I just wanted to send you a quick note.  I'll write more later.

-Michael

Aubrey laughed softly as she read her brother's email Monday morning--thankful for the comic relief he had unknowingly provided in her life.  Between her date with Andrew yesterday, the frustrating conversation with Justin afterwards and having to try and convince her mother last night that just because she and Andrew had gone out it didn't mean they were getting married, she was about ready to scream.  She had needed the laugh her brother was always about to provide and suddenly missed him.  She needed a hug and a reassuring smile from him. 

Opening a new email message, Aubrey began her reply.

Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 09:34:57

Subject: Secretary Diaries

To: desertrat@mail.mil.gov  

From: freckles_21@yahoo.com

Desert Rat,

I miss you.

Aubrey sat looking at her computer screen for a full minute.  Those three words said it all but she knew she couldn't send a message where that's all she said.  He'd know something was up--and even though there was--she didn't want him worrying about her.  He had enough on his mind being where he was to have to worry about his little sister and all her issues. 

With a sigh she sat up and began typing again.

I'm glad you got my package!  I was worried it wasn't going to get to you.  I sent it a few weeks ago and hadn't heard anything from you.  Thanks for the birthday wishes.  No.  No party plans.  No one here knows it's even my birthday (besides Grams of course).  But you know me--that's the way I like it.  I don't like people making a big deal out of it. 

Andrew finally made contact and we've gone out a couple times (please don't freak out like mom did when she found out).  We're taking it slow--getting to know each other again.  And then there's Justin...we spent all day together last Saturday and talked for quite a while on the phone last night but as much as I want him to see me as something different I think all I am is a friend to him.  Which is okay...I guess.  I'd rather be his friend than nothing at all but why is that all he wants?

So that's what I've been up to the last couple weeks--trying to forget about my birthday this weekend and trying to figure out why it is the man I want doesn't want me while trying to decide if I want the man who does want me. 

I wish you were here to tell me what to do.

-Aubrey

~~~~~~

"So..." Rachel drawled as she sat herself down on Aubrey's desk Monday afternoon, making herself comfortable.  Aubrey turned in her chair and looked at her friend.  Rachel sat, her legs crossed, flipping through a magazine.

"What's up?" Aubrey asked with a curious smile.

"Oh nothing." Rachel replied as she finished with the magazine and closed it.  She looked at the cover for a moment before putting it down on the desk and scooting it towards Aubrey.  "I found this last night at the grocery store and thought it was kind of interesting.  What do you think?" She asked.

Aubrey looked down at the magazine, her eyes going wide.  She put her hand over her mouth as her eyes darted to Rachel then back to the picture of herself and Justin on the cover of the magazine.  She stared at it--her mind unwilling to accept the fact that she was on the cover of a magazine being romantically linked to Justin Timberlake for the entire world to see! 

"Just friends, huh?" Rachel asked as she stood up.

"What?" Aubrey asked, finally coming out of her shock induced stupor and looking at Rachel.

Rachel lifted a knowing brow as she put one hand on her hip.  "To quote a friend of mine," she looked at Aubrey pointedly.  "‘Friendship is not what that man has in mind for you.'" She repeated the words Aubrey had said to her eight months ago when she and JC were just starting their relationship.

"What?" Aubrey asked again.  Her heart began pounding in her chest as she looked back at the photo, her cheeks burning.  "I don't..." She cleared her throat, and refused to meet Rachel's eyes.  "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Mmm-hmm." Rachel hummed clearly unconvinced.  She walked around the front desk and headed back towards her office.  "Welcome to the group." She offered with a smile and a wink as she finally disappeared around the corner. 

Aubrey put both elbows up on the desk and covered her face with her hands but she couldn't keep from looking at the picture again.  She picked up the magazine and, holding it in both hands, leaned back in her chair.  Cocking her head to the side she studied Justin's face--searching for evidence to contradict Rachel's assumptions that Justin was interested in her romantically.  The picture had been taken several weeks ago, the day Rachel had ditched them at the restaurant after they'd been shopping most of the day, and Aubrey found herself smiling as she remembered that fateful day.  As much as she'd wanted to be angry at Rachel for pulling that stunt she couldn't--because of Rachel and her unnecessary meddling Aubrey had been given the chance to get to know Justin on a more personal level.  Because of Rachel she'd been able to spend an entire day getting to know him in a way that she knew not very many people did. 

Aubrey brushed her thumb over his photographed image, a dreamy sigh escaping her lips.  Could he...No!  She shook her head and sat up, unwilling to finish her thought.  She wasn't going to get her hopes up.  The phone rang then and Aubrey reached for the receiver as she shoved the magazine into a drawer, thankful for the distraction. 

"Adams and Richards Interior Design." She answered pushing all of her ridiculous thoughts away--something she was becoming an expert at doing of late.  "How can I help you?"

~~~~~~

"Here you go."

Rachel looked up from her desk as Nicole handed her a card and envelope.  "What's this?" She asked taking it from her.

"Aubrey's birthday is on Saturday." Nicole said as she turned and left.

"What?!" Rachel exclaimed.  She looked at the card in her hand, her eyes slowly narrowing.  "So not cool." She muttered under her breath.  She quickly signed the office birthday card then stood and made her way towards the front desk.  "Um...why didn't you tell me your birthday was on Saturday?" She said as she leaned against the top of the desk.

Aubrey looked up in surprise.  "What?" She asked as she finished addressing the envelope in front of her. 

"Your birthday." Rachel said, brushing her hair over her shoulders.  "You failed to inform me that it was this weekend."

"I'm sorry." Aubrey replied.

"No you're not." Rachel countered.

~~~~~

Aubrey laughed as she looked up at her friend.  "It's not a big deal, Rachel.  It's just another day."  Rachel just looked at her as if she were crazy.  "I don't like people making a big deal out of it."

"We're going to celebrate." Rachel said.

"Did you not just hear me say I don't like people making a big deal out of it?" Aubrey asked.

"It won't be a big party." Rachel replied.

"That's right." Aubrey nodded.  "Because there's not going to be a party."

"Come on." Rachel plead.  "It's your birthday!  It's the one day of the year where you're aloud to get a little crazy and have some fun." Aubrey folded her arms across her chest as she looked at Rachel.  "It won't be big." Rachel promised.  "Just..." she paused and Aubrey watched as a light bulb literally went off above her friend's head and she began to feel nervous.  "It'll just be dinner.  Come over for dinner and some cake on Saturday." Rachel said with an excited smile.

"What are you up to?" Aubrey asked suspiciously. 

"Nothing." Rachel replied innocently.  Aubrey watched her closely for a moment.  "I promise." Rachel crossed her heart.

"Just dinner?" Aubrey asked.

"Just dinner." Rachel nodded.

"Not a big party?" Aubrey asked.  Rachel shook her head.  "Okay." Aubrey sighed.

"Yea!" Rachel giggled excitedly.  "Let's plan on seven." She said.  "I'll remind you on Friday.  You better not plan anything else in the meantime and back out on me." Rachel pointed a finger at her.

"I won't." Aubrey rolled her eyes though she smiled.  Rachel's excitement was infectious. 

"Promise?" Rachel asked.

"I promise." Aubrey assured her with a chuckle.  "Besides, you're the only other person who knows and cares that it's my birthday.  Who else would I make plans with?"

~~~~~~

"Hello?" Aubrey mumbled as she reached for her cell phone early Saturday morning.

"Hello?" The male voice on the other line was hard to hear at first due to the static on the line. 

"Yeah." She said, putting her hand over eyes as she groaned at being woken up so early.  She opened one eyes and looked over at her nightstand.  7:00 her clock read. 

"Freckles?"

Aubrey's eyes shot open.  "Michael?" She asked in surprise.

"How are you?" Her brother chuckled.

"Oh my gosh!" Aubrey replied as she sat up in bed.  "Is it really you?" She asked.

"Of course it's me!" He said.  "Who else calls you Freckles?"

"I can't believe it's really you!" Aubrey exclaimed.  "How are you?  What time is it over there?"

"Five o'clock." He answered.  "I'm about to go to the mess hall for dinner, but I wanted to catch you before you got going on your day.  I knew you'd still be in bed." Aubrey put her hand over her chest and closed her eyes as the sound of her brother's voice made her smile.  "Happy birthday." He said. 

"This is the best birthday present ever." She said.  "How in the world..."

"I have my ways." He replied with a laugh.  "Now, tell me what's going on."

"What do you mean?" Aubrey asked, tucking her hair behind her ear as she leaned back against her headboard.

"You said in your email on Monday that you wished I was there to tell you what to do.  Well," He said.  "Here I am.  Tell me what's going on."

"Oh..." Aubrey sighed as she pulled her knees up.  "I'm just being a ridiculous girl." She said, laughing at herself.  "You don't want to hear about all my issues.  I'm sorry about my email being such a downer."

"Are you okay?" He asked. 

"I will be."

"Promise?" He questioned.

"I promise." Aubrey nodded though he couldn't see her.  "One of these days I'll get it all figured out."

"So what are the party plans for today?" Michael asked changing the subject.

"Not much." Aubrey replied.  "I've got my swimming lessons that I teach in a few hours then I'm going over to a friend's house for dinner tonight.  She found out it was my birthday earlier this week and was upset that I hadn't said anything.  I told her I didn't want anyone making a big fuss over me but she insisted I come over to celebrate."

"You're crazy."  Her brother said.  "It's your birthday!  You should be taking full advantage of the fact and demanding that people spoil you."

Aubrey laughed.  "You know I'm not like that." She said. 

"I know." He replied.  "So how's Grams doing?"

They talked for another thirty minutes, until his phone card ran out.  Aubrey was sad to have to say good-bye to him, but grateful at the same time that he'd managed to find the time to call her and wish her a happy birthday.  It truly was, as she'd told him, the best birthday present ever. 

As Aubrey went through the rest of her day--finishing up her last math assignment before her final next week, teaching her three beginners swim classes, exchanging a few texts with Andrew, and going grocery shopping with Grams--she couldn't help the nervousness building inside of her.  All week Rachel had been giving her strange looks at work--as if she knew something that Aubrey didn't and she was just waiting for the right time to let her in on the secret.  Aubrey had seen the mischievous look in her friend's eyes when she'd been insisting they do something for her birthday.  She's planning something.  Aubrey thought.  And she's not telling me because she knows it's something I'm not going to like.

After helping her grandmother put the groceries away and taking a quick shower, Aubrey stood in front of her closet--trying to decide what to wear.  Her cell phone chimed from where she'd tossed it on her bed and she picked it up.  Opening the text message and reading it Aubrey couldn't help but wonder if Rachel were somehow psychic.

Wear the black dress you bought that day we went shopping last month.

Aubrey turned back to her closet and pulled out the article Rachel was referring to.  Hooking the hanger on the opened closet door, she stood back and looked at the dress.  She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as she debated whether or not to wear it.  With a sigh she finally took it off of the hanger. 

"Why not?" She finally mumbled under her breath.  "If Rachel's cooking something up I might as well look good for whatever it is."

An hour later she parked her car in Rachel and JC's driveway and got out.  Smoothing her hands down the front of her dress she locked the SUV and walked towards the front door.  Nervously she rang the doorbell.  Why am I nervous?  She thought.  This is ridiculous!  It's just Rachel and JC.  There's nothing to be nervous about. 

Yet something inside told her tonight was going to turn out very differently than what she thought.

~~~~~

"Happy Birthday!" Rachel said as she opened the front door to find Aubrey standing on the front porch.  Rachel smiled excitedly when she saw Aubrey had followed her advice and worn the sexy black dress she'd talked her into buying.  This is perfect!  She thought, trying to hide her devious thoughts with a smile.   He's not going to know what hit him.  "Come in." She said ushering the other girl inside, closing the door behind her.

"Are you going to tell me why you said I should wear this dress tonight?" Aubrey asked as they walked across the foyer and back towards the kitchen.

"It's your birthday." Rachel replied.  "What more of an invitation do you need to get dressed up?" She asked with a smile.  Aubrey didn't look convinced so she put her arm around her shoulders.  "You look amazing!" She raved.

"Thanks, but I don't know what good it does me." Aubrey said.

"What do you mean?" Rachel asked, dropping her arm.

"The only guy that's here is the one you're currently engaged to." Aubrey reminded her.

"Hypothetically engaged to." Rachel clarified.  Aubrey looked at her, one eye brow raised in disbelief.  Rachel laughed.  "Don't worry about it." She said as the girls walked into the kitchen.  "You never know who may show up tonight." She continued under her breath.

"What?" Aubrey asked.

"Nothing." Rachel replied with a smile as she handed Aubrey a wine glass that had previously been filled.  "Come on." She said with a wave of her hand as she headed towards the back door.  "The guys are out here."

~~~~~

"The guys?" Aubrey asked pulling up short as Rachel's words registered.  Rachel looked at her innocently but Aubrey knew her well enough to know her innocence was just a rouse.  "Rachel who else did you invite tonight?" She asked, refusing to move another inch until she got a straight answer. 

"It's just you, me, JC and Justin." Rachel said lifting her own wine glass to her lips and taking a sip. 

"Justin?" Aubrey asked, the nervous butterflies in her stomach increasing exponentially as she heard a burst of male laughter coming from outside.  "Rachel!"  She exclaimed. 

"What?" Rachel asked.  "You made me promise not to make this a big deal, and I haven't, but did you really think we could celebrate with just the three of us?"

"Yes!" Aubrey replied.  Her eyes widening as the back door opened and the two men who had been outside came in.  Heaven help me.  Aubrey plead reaching behind her to place her glass on the counter before her trembling fingers could drop it-she didn't want a repeat of the whole soda incident.  Her breath caught as Justin stepped into the kitchen, looking amazing in a pair of jeans and a white striped shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows--a black tie and vest completing his outfit--and she felt a spark of electricity in the air as his blue eyes connected with hers.  As his eyes ran slowly down her body then back up in an obvious way she felt certain she was going to pass out.

~~~~~

Justin's laughter quieted as he followed JC into the house and was greeted by a sight he wasn't expecting.  He'd never seen anyone look as breathtaking as Aubrey did at the moment and he was having a difficult time accepting that the goddess standing in front of him was the same girl he'd taken paint balling and had gotten dirty with helping to do yard work a couple weekends ago.

His eyes connected with hers for a second before unabashedly taking her in again.  The black dress--with it's low cut halter top and multi-layered skirt that showed off one knee--hugged each and every one of her perfect curves, while the slinky stilettos on her feet made his mouth suddenly go dry.  He swallowed and finally forced himself to meet her eyes again.  She'd pulled her hair up, allowing a few tendrils to curl softly around her face and he felt certain his jaw was hanging open.

"This is the dress Aubrey bought that day we met for lunch." Rachel suddenly interjected.  "I told you the shoes we found were perfect."

"Yeah...perfect." Justin repeated, as his eyes once more traveled down her incredible body.

"Should we eat?" Rachel asked, her simple question breaking him from the daze he'd been in. 

"Yeah." Justin said, looking over at her.  He narrowed his eyes at the smug, cat-who-just-ate-the-canary look on Rachel's face and understanding dawned.  He'd been wondering why he was the only one at this supposed dinner party.  Now he knew.  This was all just another plot of hers to get him together with Aubrey.  She promised!  He exclaimed mentally.  In frustration--with himself for sizing Aubrey up as if she were a piece of meat and with Rachel for concocting this whole scheme of hers--he walked past Aubrey without saying another word, completely missing the hurt and confused look on her face as he left the room.  He knew it was rude of him to not even say hello after he'd just ogled her, but he didn't trust himself not to say something rude or embarrassing at the moment. 

Rachel had invited him to the "dinner party" she was having tonight earlier in the week and he'd accepted--thinking it would be a good excuse to meet some new people.  He'd been feeling anxious and more than a little bit frustrated lately and had decided he was ready to be in a relationship again.  He knew plenty of girls who were interested in him...the problem was he was finding himself less and less interested in the girls he normally associated with.  He had hoped that by coming to a dinner party that Rachel was hosting he'd meet people he normally wouldn't.  Had he known Aubrey would show up looking like she did...

He turned his head as the three other people in the house came and sat down at the table.  Once again he found himself staring at Aubrey.  Damn.  He thought as she sat down across from him.  She was beautiful.  Her eyes met his again and he felt a slow smile spread across his face.  He watched as a blush crept across her cheeks and she dropped her eyes again.  He cocked his head to the side as he continued watching her.  When she looked at him again he winked at her and chuckled to himself as her blush deepened and he wondered why, in all the time he'd spent with her, he'd never noticed how absolutely stunning her eyes were.

~~~~~

Aubrey tried very hard not to read anything into the looks Justin had been giving her all night but how could she not?  Every time she looked at him his blue eyes were fixed on her and every time she met them her stomach would quiver.  During the conversation that took place over the fettuccini alfredo Rachel had made, Aubrey looked over at her friend--her eyes narrowing at the smug look of satisfaction on Rachel's face as she looked at Aubrey and Justin.  Aubrey sat back in her chair as a light suddenly went off. 

This was the secret Rachel had had up her sleeve all week.  Here she'd been thinking Rachel had invited her over for dinner to celebrate her birthday and Justin being here was just some kind of magical coincidence but no!  Rachel was still trying to push her and Justin together and this had just been too good an opportunity for her to pass up.  Aubrey looked down at her plate--completely ignoring the conversation going on around her--as her anger built.  She felt humiliated sitting there in the stupid dress Rachel had convinced her to buy and wear tonight.  She looked like she'd been dressing up on purpose--to impress Justin--when really she'd had no idea he'd be here!  

How desperate do I look? She wondered as she pushed around the rest of the salad on her plate.  He must think I'm completely ridiculous and obvious.  She glanced up at Justin, relieved to find this was one of the times he wasn't looking at her.  She watched as he and JC talked, her eyes following his fork as he brought it up to his mouth.  She swallowed as they stayed focused there.  There was just something about his mouth that drew her in and she found herself wondering if his lips were as soft as they looked.  She recalled the way he had kissed her in her dream a few weeks ago.  I wonder what it would feel like to really kiss him.  She thought.  A shiver ran down her spine and she licked her lips as she reached for her glass of wine.  Why do I do this to myself? She wondered.  I'm just setting myself up to fall.

"What do you think, Aubrey?" Justin suddenly asked, pulling her into the conversation.

"What?" She asked, startled.  She looked at the three other people sitting at the table with her--all of them looking at her expectantly.  "I'm sorry." She said, chuckling self-consciously.  "I wasn't listening.  What was the question?"  Justin grinned, his blue eyes sparkling, and she wanted to kick him under the table.  How was it fair that he could affect her so easily with just a look? 

"Never mind." He said.  "It wasn't important."

"So did you do anything else to celebrate your birthday today?" Rachel asked as she took a bite.  Aubrey turned to answer her thankful for the distraction from the tension she could feel between herself and Justin.

"It's your birthday?" Justin asked, sounding shocked.  Aubrey looked back over at him and nodded.  "Why didn't you tell me?" He questioned sounding hurt.

"You never asked." She replied then turned to answer Rachel.  "My grandma and I are going to brunch tomorrow and my brother called me this morning." She said with a smile.

"From Iraq?" Rachel asked and Aubrey nodded.  "That's awesome!"

"Yeah it was." Aubrey replied.  "It was so good to hear his voice.  We talked for about forty-five minutes.  It was the best birthday surprise but it also made me realize how much I miss him."

"How long has he been over there?" JC asked, joining in.

"Two years." Aubrey told him.

"Woah.  That's a long time to be over there, isn't it?" He questioned.

"Yeah." Aubrey nodded.  "He was only supposed to be over there for a year but they extended it.  Supposedly he's coming home this summer but," she shrugged.  "We'll see."

"So that's the only thing you've done to celebrate?" Rachel asked.  "Talk to your brother over the phone?"

"Basically." Aubrey replied.  "I mean, my parent's sent me some money and I went shopping the other but..."  She trailed off as Rachel folded her arms and looked at her disapprovingly.  "What?" She questioned with a laugh.  "I told you I don't like people making a big deal out of my birthday."

"Andrew didn't do anything for you?" Justin asked, cocking his head to the side as he studied her intently.

"No." Aubrey shook her head.  "But I don't think he even remembers today's my birthday.  It's no big deal." She tried to assure him.  "I promise."

"Andrew?" Rachel jumped in.  "Who's Andrew?"

"Her boyfriend." Justin answered for her.

"What?!" Rachel asked.

"He's not my boyfriend!" Aubrey exclaimed quickly then felt her cheeks warm as Justin, JC and Rachel all looked at her.  She took a deep breath to compose herself. "You know who Andrew is." She said looking over at Rachel.  "I told you about him.  He's not my boyfriend." She said looking across the table at Justin.  "We're just..."

"Don't say friends." Justin muttered under his breath as he brought his wine glass to his lips and Aubrey glared at him.  Why was he acting this way--like a spoiled brat?

"We've gone out on a few dates." She finished feeling more and more humiliated by the second.  Why are we even talking about this? She wondered, praying for someway to get out of the embarrassing conversation--she hated being the center of attention and she definitely wasn't ready to talk about Andrew or try to explain whatever it was that was going on between them.

"Oh." Rachel replied.  There was an awkward silence around the table.  "Well, who's ready for cake?" She asked, scooting her chair back and standing.  Three sets of eyes turned to look at her gratefully and Aubrey moved to stand up.  "No, no." Rachel said.  "You sit.  You're the birthday girl.  I'll bring the cake out.  Jace?" She asked putting a hand on his shoulder.

"Yeah?" He questioned taking another bite. 

"Come help me." Rachel said firmly.  JC looked up at her for a moment.  His eyes returned to the table and the two people sitting across from each other then he stood and followed his girlfriend out of the room. 

~~~~~ 

"I thought you said she was going to stop meddling." Aubrey hissed as she leaned across the table once Rachel and JC had left.

"What are you talking about?" Justin questioned as he mimicked her body language and leaned over the table as well.

"Rachel." Aubrey continued.  "Do you know what she's doing right now?"

"Uh...getting the cake?" He replied flippantly.  Aubrey glared at him again and he struggled to keep a straight face.  He could see the anger flashing in her eyes but he couldn't help it.  It was just too much fun playing with her. 

"This isn't the time to be cute, Justin.  She's trying to set us up again." Aubrey said as she let out a groan of frustration and covered her eyes with her hand.  "She's trying to be sneaky but...oh, I knew she was up to something!" She continued as she shook her head.  "She's had this planned out all week.  She even told me to wear this dress--"

"Which looks amazing on you, by the way." He commented before he could stop the words from escaping.  He'd failed to notice the silver necklace around her neck earlier and the heart shaped pendant resting against her skin.  He didn't, however, fail to notice where his eyes were drawn thanks to that pendant and once again he found himself suffering from a distinct lack of moisture in his mouth.  I wonder--

"Thank you." Aubrey replied quietly.  His eyes met hers and he watched as a soft blush tinged her cheeks.

"Relax." Justin chuckled.  "Don't let her know she's getting to you.  She's waiting for some kind of reaction out of one of us.  If we don't give it to her, maybe she'll get the hint."

"You owe me." Aubrey said as she reached out and lifted her glass to her lips. 

"What?" He questioned, his eyes watching as she took a sip.  His body reacted to the way she pressed her lips to the glass and he shifted uncomfortably in his seat.  He wondered, briefly, what it would feel like if she were to press those full lips of hers against his.  He shook his head and looked away from her at the thought.  What the hell was going on?  It's definitely time I find a girlfriend.  He mused.  It's obviously been too long. 

"You owe me." She insisted, breaking him from his thoughts.  "It's time for you to hold up your end of our deal."  She pointed a finger at him.   "You told me she was going to leave us alone and I gave you what you wanted, but she's not so pay up."

Justin watched as Aubrey folded her arms across her chest and leaned back in her chair.  "Where do you want to go?" He asked, recalling her desire to travel somewhere exotic.

"Surprise me." She replied dryly.

~~~~~

"Who wants cake?" Rachel asked coming back in to the dining room--two plates in her hands.  She placed the pieces of chocolate cake in front of Aubrey and Justin, as JC set down the two plates he was carrying then sat down.  Rachel struck a match and lit the candle that was in Aubrey's piece then started singing "Happy Birthday."  Aubrey's cheeks warmed in embarrassment until Justin and JC joined Rachel singing.  She watched and listened in fascination as the two men sang together; their perfect harmonies making every female hormone in her body take notice.  She melted back into her chair.  When the song was finished Rachel sat down heavily in her chair.

"Whew!" Rachel said, fanning herself with her hand.  "They should be illegal, shouldn't they?" She said looking at Aubrey with a dazed look.

"Yeah." Aubrey replied.  "That was amazing." She said looking at Justin. 

"Are you going to blow out your candle?" He asked with a chuckle.

"Oh, yeah." Aubrey said leaning over and blowing the candle out.  "But seriously." She said.  "I've never heard a better rendition of Happy Birthday in my life.  If N SYNC never gets back together, you two should definitely do a duet album together or something."

Rachel laughed.  "They did." She said.  Aubrey turned to look at her in question.  "It was called, Celebrity."  Justin snorted in derision and JC rolled his eyes.  "I'll get you a copy." Rachel winked at her as she took a bite of the cake in front of her.

"So, what'd we miss?" Rachel asked, looking at Aubrey and Justin expectantly.  "What were you guys talking about in here?"

"Nothing." Aubrey replied trying to ignore the grin on Rachel's face.

"Here." Rachel said handing Aubrey a small wrapped present.

"Rachel!" Aubrey exclaimed in disapproval.  "You didn't have to get me anything."

"Of course I did." Rachel smiled.  "Happy Birthday."

~~~~~

Aubrey looked at the small box for a moment and Justin wished he'd known it was her birthday.  What he would have given her he hadn't a clue, but he would have come up with something.  He watched as she opened her gift.

"Oh my goodness!" Aubrey said as she pulled out the gift certificates. 

"Have you ever gotten a massage?" Rachel asked.  Aubrey shook her head.  "Seriously?!  They're amazing." She raved.  "And pedicures are my absolute favorite thing in the entire world."

"Really?" JC asked as he took a bite of his cake, his eyebrows rising in surprise.  "Your favorite thing?  In the entire world?" He pursed his lips as if in deep thought.  "That's interesting..."

"Knock it off!" Rachel laughed as she rolled her eyes at him.  "You know what I mean."

"You're going to come with me, right?" Aubrey asked Rachel.

"Are you kidding me?" Rachel grinned.  "Of course I am!  You pick the day and I'm there."

"Thank you." Aubrey smiled. 

"You're welcome." Rachel replied. 

Justin found himself watching Aubrey as the conversation picked up again around the table, trying to decide how to fulfill her request as well as she'd managed to fulfill his a few weeks ago.  Somewhere exotic.  He thought, taking a bite of his cake.  Where the hell am I going to take her?  This question and all the issues surrounding the prospect of taking Aubrey anywhere preoccupied him for the rest of the evening.  Before he knew it she was getting ready to leave.

"Thank you." Aubrey told Rachel again as she gave her a hug.  "I had fun tonight."

"I'm glad." Rachel smiled.  "We should get together more often, just the four of us."

Aubrey caught Justin's eye over Rachel's shoulder, a knowing glance passing between them.  She hadn't said a word but he'd heard her loud and clear.  You owe me.  Aubrey just smiled at Rachel as she opened the front door.  "Let me know when you want to go use those gift certificates."

"I will." Aubrey promised. 

"Drive safe." Rachel said.

"Thanks." Aubrey replied.  "I'll see you on Monday."  She turned to leave and Justin found himself walking after her. 

"I'm going to go to." Justin said, grabbing his keys.  "I'll walk out with you." He offered, completely missing the excited look on Rachel's face as he walked past her.  Aubrey's hazel eyes met his in surprise but the corners of her mouth lifted in a soft smile as she allowed him to walk with her out to her car.  An awkward silence descended between them for a moment until finally--in an attempt to cut through the thick tension surrounding them--he decided to call her on something he'd caught her doing earlier.

"Did they live up to they hype?" He asked.

"Excuse me?" Aubrey looked over at him in confusion.  "Did what live up to the hype?"

Justin struggled to keep a straight face as they approached her blue SUV.  "My lips." He replied. 

"What?!" Aubrey exclaimed, looking at him with wide eyes as she turned to face him. 

"Oh come on." He said taking a step towards her as a lazy smile spread across his face.  "It was obvious you couldn't keep your eyes off ‘em at dinner."

~~~~~

Aubrey swallowed and she took a step back as he took another step towards her.  She put her hands back on her car when she bumped into it and watched, wide-eyed, as Justin closed the space between them. 

"If you want to know what they feel like, all you have to do is ask." He said, his blue eyes holding hers captive. 

Aubrey's heart pounded in her chest as he leaned towards her, putting one hand up on the side of her car.  Against her better judgment her eyes dropped to his mouth and she watched as his perfect lips lifted in a smirk.  She raised her eyes to his again.  Cocky, arrogant..."I-I don't..." She stopped herself from denying any knowledge of what he was talking about.  He had seen her staring at him during dinner and was now calling her out.  Her breath caught as he lowered his head and she closed her eyes, her stomach quivering in anticipation. 

"Happy Birthday." He whispered.

Her eyes shot open as he placed a soft kiss to her cheek and she wondered if he had felt the same spark she just had.  The look in his eyes as he pulled away from her tempted her to believe he had but he said nothing, just reached around her and opened the car door for her. Aubrey stood for a moment just looking at him.  Did you feel it? She wanted to ask.    

~~~~~

As he held the door open for her, Aubrey just looked at him, her eyes wide--a curious expression on her face.  He'd wanted to tease her a little and under normal circumstances he would have tried to push it farther, but as Justin had closed the space between them and looked down into her bewitching eyes--the clean, sweet fragrance of her perfume hitting him--a strange feeling had come over him.

Placing his lips against her cheek impulsively he felt as if he'd been shocked and had pulled away.  What the hell was that?  He wondered, his heart beating strangely in his chest.  Finally, Aubrey turned and he helped her into the vehicle then stood--hands shoved in his pockets--as she drove away, his thoughts all over the place. 

He turned and walked over to his own car but caught himself looking back over his shoulder at where Aubrey had just been.  What the hell is wrong with me? He wondered as he got into his Escalade.  It was just an innocent kiss on the cheek!  You'd think I'd never kissed a girl before.  It's definitely time to get a girlfriend!  Just because Aubrey had looked amazing in that dress of hers with the "perfect" heels on her feet, and just because she smelled incredible and had amazingly soft skin, didn't give him the liberty to think the things he'd been thinking about her all night.

"We're just friends." He said aloud as he pulled out onto the street, yet somehow that statement didn't offer the reassurance it once had. 

Something had changed tonight and he wasn't sure what to do about it.

~~~~~~

"What are you doing?"

Rachel gasped in surprise as she turned around, dropping the curtain she'd been peaking out of once Aubrey and Justin had left the house.  She put a hand to her chest as she looked up at JC.  "Nothing." She replied, dropping her hand and trying to act calm.  She watched as he folded his arms across his chest and raised a skeptical brow at her-his blue eyes watching her intently.  "What?" She asked.  "I was just...making sure they made it out to their cars okay." She continued.  "You know...there could be scary people out there."

"We have a security gate." JC reminded her. 

"Well...you never know." Rachel countered.  "It's a scary world we live in.  Anything could happen."

"Have you learned nothing?" He asked.

"I don't know what you're talking about." She replied as she walked past him out of the front room.

JC reached out and grabbed her arm, stopping her.  "You need a new hobby." He said.

"What?!" Rachel exclaimed folding her arms.  "I do not need a new hobby.  I said I would back off, not disappear." She told him.  JC shook his head as he turned, facing her fully. 

"You better be careful, Sass." He warned.  "I've known Justin longer than you have."

"And?" Rachel replied.

"And..." his lips twitched as he brought a hand up and tucked her hair behind one ear.  "You just better be careful." He reiterated.  Rachel narrowed her eyes as she looked at him.  "Now," he said, putting his arms around her as he pulled her against him.  "We need to talk."

"About what?" She questioned, a tingle running down her spine at the look in his eyes.

"About what exactly your favorite thing in the entire world is because apparently I'm not doing my job very well."  He smiled as he brought his lips down on hers and Rachel giggled as she wound her arms around his neck, pressing herself against him--all thoughts of Justin and Aubrey quickly leaving her head.  



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story