Author's Chapter Notes:

Update on my life (for those of you interested)...I started my Master's Degree program this week.  Go me!  What does this mean for you?  Updates are going to be cut back just a bit.  Please don't start hyperventilating...lol...I am not abandoning this story!  I'm just saying that I'm probably only going to be posting once a week instead of two, three, even four times! 

With that being said...here's this week's update :)

Aubrey woke up Sunday morning with a smile still on her face. He may not have known it was her birthday at the beginning of the night, but Justin had managed to give her the best birthday present he could have.  The way he had looked at her all evening, the way he had cornered her against her car as he'd walked out with her and the way his lips had felt as they'd brushed against her cheek...

A shiver ran down her spine and Aubrey couldn't help the dreamy sigh that escaped.  She'd gotten a kiss from Justin Timberlake for her birthday!   How many girls could say the same?

Probably more than you think.  A voice in the back of her mind commented.  Aubrey sat up, pushing the thought aside.  She refused to let anything rain on her parade right now.  She grabbed her cell phone as she walked out of her bedroom, intent on finding something to eat--she and Grams were going out to brunch in a little while but she was starving.  As she made her way down the hall to the kitchen the doorbell rang.  Looking at the time on her phone, her brows furrowed.  "I wonder who that is." She muttered under her breath.  Running her fingers through her hair she placed her cell phone on the kitchen counter than padded towards the front door in her favorite pair of pink, fuzzy slippers. 

"Aubrey Davis?" The delivery guy standing on the front porch asked when she opened the door.

"Yeah?" She replied in surprise.

"These are for you." He smiled as he handed her the bouquet of roses he was holding.  She took the flowers-looking at them in disbelief.  Who in the world...

"Just sign here, please." The man told her, holding a clipboard out towards her.  Aubrey quickly put her signature on the indicated line then gave him back his pen.  "Have a good day." He said with a smile as he turned.

"Thank you." Aubrey replied then closed the door.  She walked back towards the kitchen, her face bent towards the roses as she inhaled their fragrance.  They were beautiful!  The soft, creamy yellow blooms were outlined with a vibrant pink--each petal velvet soft as she ran her fingers over them.  Aubrey placed the vase on the counter and stood back, just looking at them for a moment until she noticed the small white card nestled among the flowers.  She pulled it out and opened it--a smile quickly spreading.

If you'd have told me it was your birthday I would have given these to you last night but, better late than never, right?  I hope it was a good day yesterday.  Happy Birthday!         -Justin

                                         

Aubrey ran her thumb over his signature then tucked the card in her pocket.

"Those are pretty." Grams said as she came into the room.

"Yeah they are." Aubrey said, still smiling as she tucked her hair behind her ears.

"Who are they from?" Grams asked, coming over to smell the roses.

"Justin." Aubrey replied, feeling her cheeks warm slightly.  Grams made a noise of interest and raised one brow as she turned to look at Aubrey.  "He was at dinner at Rachel's house last night." She explained.  "He was mad when he found out it was my birthday and I hadn't told him."

Grams smiled, her brown eyes sparkling.  "He seems like a really nice boy." She said.  "I hope you're going to keep a hold of him."

"What?" Aubrey asked with an embarrassed chuckle.

"Honey it was plain as the nose on my face that that boy was quite taken with you when he was over here." Grams told her. 

"No, you're wrong." Aubrey argued with a shake of her head.  "We're just friends."

Grams looked at her pointedly.  "You can believe that if it makes you feel better." She replied as she turned and walked out of the kitchen.  "But that boy isn't just a friend."

Aubrey sighed as she leaned back against the counter, folding her arms across her chest.  Was it possible?  The more she thought about what Grams had said, the more she wondered if she were right.  There was definitely nothing "friendly" about the way Justin had said good night to her.  And what was she supposed to think about the gorgeous roses he'd just sent her?  Just a friendly gesture?  Aubrey ran her fingers through her hair as she let out a frustrated groan.  Why did she have to meet Justin in the first place?  Her eyes lifted to the ceiling as her arms dropped to her sides.

"Why?" She questioned.  Closing her eyes she let out a sigh.  She lifted one hand, her fingers touching the spot on her cheek that Justin had kissed the previous evening.  That kiss had been the first concrete sign, in the months she'd known him, that had hinted he might have more than friendly feelings for her.  But were his feelings genuine or was she just a convenient outlet for him?  She wasn't a fool.  She knew he was all man-a charming, talented and incredibly sexy man.  He was used to being around and dating beautiful women but for some reason--since his breakup with Jessica--he'd closed himself off and pulled away from the social circles he usually surrounded himself with.

While a part of her wanted to believe he really was interested in her, another--stronger--part knew it was probably as she guessed.  She was just a convenient outlet.  The cloud she'd been walking on since leaving Rachel and JC's house last night dissipated and Aubrey found herself once more back on Earth, her feet firmly planted in reality.

"We're just friends." She muttered.  That's all.  Her cell phone rang and she twisted to pick it up from the counter. 

"Hey Andrew." She said after reading who it was that was calling.

"Justin Timberlake?" He asked sounding more than a little put out.

"Excuse me?" Aubrey asked, her heart flipping in her chest as she wondered how Andrew had found out about Justin.

"You've got to be kidding me." He continued.

"What are you talking about?" Aubrey asked, sitting down at the kitchen table.

"The guy you're interested in is Justin Timberlake?" Andrew asked.  "How do you even know him?!  Are you crazy?"

"How did you find out who he was?" Aubrey asked, feeling guilty though she didn't know why.  There was nothing to feel guilty about in regards to Justin...was there?

"I saw your guys' picture on a magazine cover at the store last night." He explained.  "You somehow failed to mention you were dating a celebrity when we were talking last week." He accused.

"We're not dating." Aubrey told him. 

"Really?" Andrew chuckled, clearly unconvinced.  "Then would you like to explain to me why your picture is on the front of a magazine with him?"

"I don't have to explain anything to you, Andrew." She said, her irritation rising.  "You're not my mother.  I told you there was someone I was interested in and the picture that's being circulated right now was taken before you and I...well, before you moved out here."

Andrew sighed heavily on the other end of the line.  "I'm sorry." He apologized.  "I just...you can't really believe he'd be interested in you, can you?"

Aubrey pulled back and looked at her phone in shock.  "Why can't I?" She asked, putting the phone back against her ear.  "What's wrong with me?" She asked.

"Nothing." He was quick to assure her.  "Nothing's wrong with you."

"Then why wouldn't he be interested in me?" She pressed.

"Because he's Justin Timberlake!" Andrew exclaimed.  "He can have-and has had--any woman in the world!  Why would he settle for someone like you?"

"Excuse me?" Aubrey asked, feeling deeply offended at his question.  "Someone like me?"  She was glad they were talking on the phone.  Had they been having this conversation face to face Aubrey knew she would have slapped him for that last comment.  "Care to explain what that means?" She asked, her voice clipped.

"You know what I mean." Andrew replied.

"No." Aubrey said.  "I don't.  Why wouldn't Justin settle for ‘someone like me'?"

"You're too sweet and naïve." He said.

"Naïve?" She asked.

"Yes." Andrew replied.  "Naïve.  You're naïve if you think he's after anything more than a chance to get into your pants."

Aubrey gasped.  "I can't believe you just said that!" She exclaimed.  "You don't know him!"

"Neither do you." He countered. 

Aubrey was so angry she couldn't respond for a second.  "I know more about him than you think." She said.

"Oh yeah?" He asked.  "Like what?"

"Like the fact that he didn't forget it was my birthday yesterday." She replied hotly.

"What?" Andrew asked, sounding completely shocked.  "It was your birthday yesterday?"

"Yeah." Aubrey replied.  "Thanks for remembering."

"I thought it was this weekend.  Bre--"

"Don't, ‘Bre' me, Andrew." She cut him off.

"Look," Andrew continued.  "I'm sorry I forgot it was your birthday but it would have helped if you'd given me a little reminder.  And I didn't mean to offend you.  I just..." he sighed.  "I just don't want to see you get hurt--"

"And you think Justin's going to hurt me?" She asked.

"I know he's going to hurt you." Andrew replied.  Aubrey began worrying her bottom lip with her teeth.  "He's a celebrity.  He's used to getting his way.  He's used to a very different lifestyle than you and I have--"

"Maybe that's why he likes me." She interrupted him.  "Did you ever think of that?  Maybe the reason he likes me is because I'm different than anyone else he knows."

"Bre..." Andrew drawled and Aubrey could hear the condescension in his voice.  Her teeth clenched.  Who was he to patronize her?  Who was he to tell her who she could and couldn't spend her time with?  Were they married?  No! 

"You said you were going to give us another try." He reminded her and she felt a stab of guilt.  "Did you mean it?"

"Yes..." She drawled.  "But I'm not going to stop being his friend, Andrew.  So you need to decide whether or not you can live with that."  He was quiet for a moment and she continued.  "Call me back when you've decided."  And with that she hung up on him.  Tossing her phone onto the coffee table she leaned her head back against the back of the couch.  I need to go back to bed and start this day over.

~~~~~~

Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 13:19:29

Subject: Captain's Log

To: freckles_21@yahoo.com

From: desertrat@mail.mil.gov

Freckles.

I was going through some old emails and I found this picture.  Thought you might enjoy it.

-Michael

Aubrey opened the file her brother had sent her.  The picture was of her, sandwiched in between her brother and Andrew on her parent's couch, the three of them laughing.  The picture had been taken before Michael and Andrew had shipped out--before Aubrey had broken up with Andrew and before she had begun to realize just how complicated love could be.

"Who is that?"

Aubrey swiveled around in her chair as Rachel suddenly appeared behind her.  Rachel's eyes were glued to the picture on Aubrey's computer screen.

"That's my brother." Aubrey said pointing to Michael.  "And that's Andrew."

"That's Andrew?!" Rachel exclaimed, looking at Aubrey in disbelief--her jaw hanging open.  She laughed once.  "I'm sorry." She said.

"For what?" Aubrey asked with a confused chuckle.

"For trying to push you to be with Justin!" Rachel shook her head.  "If that's Andrew," she pointed at the screen.  "And he's interested in you what the hell do you need Justin Timberlake for?"

"Shh!" Aubrey hushed her friend then looked around to see if anyone had heard Rachel mention Justin's name. 

"Mmmm." Rachel hummed as she sighed.  "He is one fine looking man."

Aubrey rolled her eyes.  "You're ridiculous.  Does JC know you're such a teenager and have crazy, overactive hormones?" She teased.

"Yes he does." Rachel nodded once.  "And believe me--he takes full advantage of them."  She grinned devilishly and Aubrey laughed.

"What's that?" Aubrey asked, gesturing towards the gift bag in Rachel's hand. 

"Huh?" Rachel asked, tearing her eyes away from the screen and down at the package in her hand.  "Oh!" She smiled.  "It's for you.  Happy Birthday!"

"But you already got me something." Aubrey reminded Rachel as she took the bag from her and peeked inside.

"I know." Rachel replied.

Aubrey raised one brow as she saw what was in the bag and looked back up at Rachel.  "Seriously?" She asked, pulling out the CD's.  Rachel grinned as she leaned back against the desk and folded her arms across her chest.

"I told you I was going to get you a copy of Celebrity but then I remembered when we were talking at dinner way back when you said you didn't have any of their albums."

"I did?" Aubrey asked in confusion, looking at the N SYNC CD's Rachel had given her.

"I thought so." Rachel replied.  "But it's possible I'm just making that up.  Do you have the other CD's?"

"No." Aubrey shook her head.

"Good." Rachel breathed a dramatic sigh of relief.

"Thanks." Aubrey said putting the CD's back into the bag.

"You're welcome." Rachel grinned brightly.  "How do you expect to date the boy if you don't have a copy of anything he's done in his career?  Although..." she paused and sighed appreciatively as she looked at Andrew's picture again.  "I'm not sure Justin stands a chance."

"Get out of here." Aubrey laughed as she pushed Rachel playfully. 

"Okay," Rachel said tucking her hair behind her ears.  "But before I go I want to tell you to make sure you listen to "I Thought She Knew" on No Strings Attached and "Girlfriend" on Celebrity.  Those two are my favorite." She put a hand to her chest.  "Oh! And "Gone" is probably the best one for Justin.  Look up the video of that one when you get home, you'll thank me later." Rachel grinned.

"That good, huh?" Aubrey asked.

"Oh yeah!" Rachel replied.  "Whew!  He's got some arms..." She giggled and Aubrey couldn't help laughing at her friend's expression. 

She'd seen a bumper sticker once that seemed to fit Rachel to a T.  Reckless Teenager Cleverly Disguised as Responsible Adult.  Aubrey had learned over the time she'd gotten to know Rachel that underneath her poised, professional exterior was a silly, fun-loving, still boy-crazy teenager.  She was the type of girl that Aubrey knew had probably been homecoming queen or cheerleading captain (or both) in high school--the girl that all the boys wanted and the one that secretly she had always wanted to be friends with but hadn't dared approach because of the social lines that existed between them.  She watched as Rachel turned and left--walking back to her office--and smiled.  She was slowly finding out that people weren't always who they appeared to be and so far, she hadn't been disappointed.  

~~~~~~

"I thank you; but I assure you, you are quite mistaken.  Mr. Elton and I are very good friends, and nothing more," and she walked on, amusing herself in the consideration of the blunders which often arise from a partial knowledge of circumstances, of the mistakes which people of high pretensions to judgment are for ever falling into...

Aubrey looked up from her book Wednesday evening as someone knocked on the front door.  With Grams at her weekly Bingo game down at the church, and her classes over for the semester, this was her night to be home alone.  Marking her page she swung her legs off the couch and placed her copy of Emma where she'd been sitting as she got up.  She was surprised to find Andrew standing on the front porch.

"What are you doing here?" She asked.  They hadn't talked since their argument over Justin Sunday night.

"I brought a peace offering." He said, reaching into the plastic bag he was carrying and pulled out a pint of Ben & Jerry's.  "New York Super Fudge Chunk still your favorite?" He asked holding the carton up, a hopeful expression on his handsome face.  Aubrey looked at him for a moment then finally stepped back allowing him to walk inside.

"I was afraid you weren't going to talk to me again." She said as she shut the door and turned to face him.

"I know." He said nodding slowly.  "I'm sorry."

"Did you decide?" She asked, in reference to the ultimatum she'd given him.  His blue eyes held hers for a moment and she found it curious that two pairs of eyes that were the same color could cause such differing emotions within her.

"Yes." Andrew finally spoke. 

"And?" Aubrey folded her arms across her chest.

"And..." He looked down at his feet for a second then back up at her.  "I'm not going to ask you to stop being his friend." He said. 

"Good." Aubrey said, unfolding her arms as she walked towards him.

"I didn't say I liked the idea." He defended as she came and stood before him.

"I didn't say you had to like it." She said, taking the container of ice cream from him.  "I just said you had to accept it."  With that she turned and walked back towards the family room, grabbing a couple of spoons from the kitchen on her way through.  "You coming?" She asked over her shoulder. 

Andrew stayed rooted in place for a second longer than finally followed her. "You want to pick a movie?" She asked, pointing to the bookcase lined with DVD's and VHS's next to the television, before he sat down next to her.  Andrew deliberated in front of the collection for a moment as Aubrey opened the pint of ice cream and took a bite, her eyes never leaving him.  She had to give him props.  She hadn't thought he'd actually accept the fact that she was friends with Justin Timberlake as easily as he seemed to have done.  She knew Andrew.  He was not one to deal with competition well, but he seemed to be dealing alright with this situation.  Though Justin isn't really competition to him.  She reasoned as she took another bite of the chocolate ice cream and pulled her legs up--tucking her feet beneath her on the couch. 

Andrew put in his movie of choice and Aubrey handed him the extra spoon she'd grabbed.  He took a few bites then left the rest of it up to her to finish as the movie progressed.  By the end, Aubrey found herself curled up beside him--his arm draped around her shoulders--and she couldn't help thinking how comfortable she felt with Andrew.  Their history together made it easy to trust him.  He knew so much about her and her family and she knew he'd never do anything to hurt her.  She raised her head and looked at him, smiling when he turned to look at her.  A girl could do a lot worse than to find herself loved by Andrew Johnson. 

Aubrey leaned forward and pressed her lips against his-surprising both of them with the action.  When she pulled back, Andrew lifted a hand and gently brushed his fingers against her cheek--his lips lifting in a soft smile as he leaned forward, capturing her lips again.  Aubrey placed a hand against his face as his lips moved over hers.  It definitely wasn't the knee-weakening, heat-racing, stars-colliding kind of kiss she had always wanted to experience, but it was sweet and gentle and made her feel good.  She knew Andrew truly cared about her.  When he pulled back a moment later she smiled at him then laid her head back on his shoulder.

Yes, a girl could definitely do a lot worse than to have Andrew love her.  

~~~~~~

"I'm going to give you a list of things to pack and you're going to write them down and you're not going to ask any questions, okay?" Justin asked Aubrey over the phone a week later.

"What?" Aubrey asked with a laugh as she leaned back against the chair she'd been sitting in at the table.

"I said no questions!" Justin exclaimed.

"But--"

"No ‘buts' either." He said.  "You told me to surprise you, remember?"  Aubrey laughed again at his serious, all business tone.  "If you ask questions," he continued.  "You'll ruin the surprise."

"What if I want to ruin the surprise?" She asked feeling impish as an evil grin spread across her face.

"Don't ruin the surprise Aubrey Janae." He commanded and Aubrey had to suppress the swarm of butterflies that invaded at hearing her full name spoken in his deep, sexy voice once again.  She couldn't however, suppress the tingle that went down her spine or the goose bumps that broke over her and she melted back against the chair.  "Are you ready?" He asked.

"Uh-huh." She nodded, ready and willing to do whatever he asked.

"Do you have a pen?  I don't want you to forget anything." He continued.

"What?" Aubrey sat up.  "Oh, no.  Hold on." She got up from the table and quickly grabbed a pen and piece of scratch paper from the drawer by the telephone.  "Ready." She said.

"Sunscreen." He began.

"Got it." She replied, writing it down.

"Sunglasses."

"Sunglasses." She echoed.

"Swimming suit."

"Not going to happen." She said.  There was no way she was letting Justin Timberlake see her in a swimming suit!

"What?!"  He exclaimed. 

"I'm not bringing my swimming suit, Justin." She said.

"And why the hell not?" He asked.  "How can you go to Ca--I mean, how can you go somewhere exotic and not bring a swimming suit?  That's the whole reason people go where we're going--to spend all day at the beach!"

"I don't feel comfortable spending all day in my swimsuit at the beach." She replied, wishing he wouldn't make such a big deal about it.

"That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!"  He laughed.  "You're a champion swimmer, Aubrey." He reminded her as if she'd forgotten.  "You spend all day on Saturdays in your swimming suit teaching kids how to swim.  What the hell do you mean you don't feel comfortable spending all day in a swimsuit at the beach?"

Aubrey was quiet for moment.  How was she supposed to explain the real reason for her discomfort? He's just going to laugh at me if I tell him.  "Fine." She sighed, scribbling the item down on the list she was making.  "I'll bring it."

"Good answer." He replied.  "Now where were we?" He asked.

"Sunscreen, sunglasses and swimming suit." She read back what he'd told her to write down.

"Right." He paused for a moment.  "Um...Oh! Your passport.  Don't forget that.  It's very important."

"Okay." She said with a chuckle.

"Other than that and a change of clothes all you'll need is whatever girly stuff you usually bring when you stay somewhere overnight."

"Overnight?!" This time it was Aubrey's turn to let out an exclamation.  "What do you mean, overnight?" She asked, her heart starting to beat nervously in her chest. 

He chuckled, the deep quality of his voice once again making her shiver as goose bumps enveloped her.  "You didn't really expect to go somewhere exotic and not have to spend at least one night, did you?" He questioned. 

"Well, I...um...I-I didn't..." Aubrey stuttered and Justin chuckled again.  The thought of going anywhere with Justin made it difficult to breathe, but throw in the fact that they would be spending the night wherever they were going and Aubrey felt close to hyperventilating. 

What about Andrew? Her conscious questioned.  A pang of guilt made her question whether or not she should go with Justin.  Deep down she knew she should tell Justin the bet was off--that he didn't owe her anything anymore--but she quickly pushed the thought away.  She and Justin had made their bet before Andrew had come back into her life which meant this trip had nothing to do with him.  Besides, she knew if she told him, Andrew would be livid and would demand that she not go and there was a very large part of herself that was anxious to see what would come of this "exotic" trip Justin was planning.

"When are we going?" She asked.

"This weekend." He told her.  "Can you get someone to take your classes on Saturday?" He asked.

"Yes." She nodded, though he couldn't see her.

"Can you meet me at Van Nuys?"

"Van Nuys?" She questioned.  "Why not LAX?"

"I've found it's just easier to fly out of Van Nuys." He replied without offering any other explanation. 

"Okay." She said.  "What time?"

"Saturday morning at six a.m.  You'll get the rest of your instructions when you get there." He replied secretively then hung up before she could say anything more.

Aubrey laughed as she hung up her phone and placed it on the table next to the list she'd made.  She pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as a nervous excitement began filling her.  Though she tried to deny it, she didn't want to be "just friends" with Justin any longer and she couldn't help hoping that something might happen on this trip that would make him start seeing her in a different light.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story