Author's Chapter Notes:

Okay...because my first week of Grad school was fairly easy, and because I have my first paper due the end of this week, I decided to update early :)

Happy Monday!

Aubrey shifted her duffle bag over her shoulder as she walked into the Van Nuys airport early Saturday morning.  After driving the nearly fifty minutes it took to get there from her grandmother's house, Aubrey had parked her car out in the lot and now stood, looking around in uncertainty.  Because this airport was only used for private and chartered airplanes it was not as crowded as LAX would have been but she still had no idea where she was supposed to go.  All Justin had said was to be at the airport by six.  Aubrey looked at her watch as the elevator doors closed behind her.  6:01

She looked around the terminal wondering how in the world she was going to find him.  As she started walking towards the ticketing area she noticed a man in a crisp black suit standing off to the side of the front doors holding a sign.  Normally she wouldn't have given him a second look however, the name on the sign he was holding caused her to stop in her tracks.  She looked around to make sure there was nobody else around.  

"Um...that's me." She said, pointing to her name printed on the sign he was holding.  The man smiled and reached into his pocket.  Pulling out a folded piece of paper he handed it to her without saying a word.  "Thank you?" Aubrey said, her words coming out as a question as she tentatively took it from him. 

"Mr. Timberlake's jet is out on the runway, waiting for you."

"His jet?" Aubrey asked in surprise.  The man nodded.  "He has his own jet?" She asked, wide-eyed.  He smiled.

"Enjoy your trip." He said then turned and left.

Shifting her duffle bag again Aubrey looked down and unfolded the piece of paper she'd been handed.

I know the suspense is probably killing you, but the wait is almost over.  Give this to the lady behind the counter.  She'll give you your ticket so you can get past security.  -Justin

Looking up from his note Aubrey looked up and spotted the person he must be talking about--the only woman standing behind the ticket counter.  "I think I'm supposed to give this to you." Aubrey said, handing the older woman Justin's note.

The ticket agent smiled.  "Good morning." She said, typing something into her computer.  "I still need to see some ID." She said apologetically.

"Oh sure." Aubrey said, pulling her wallet from the pocket of her purse.  "Here you go." She handed her driver's license to the woman whose nametag read, Lisa.

"Thanks." Lisa said looking at it then handing it back to Aubrey.

"You wouldn't be able to tell me where I'm going, would you?" Aubrey asked as Lisa handed her a small card.

"I would, if Mr. Timberlake hadn't sworn me to secrecy before you got here."  Lisa replied.

"Figures." Aubrey grumbled good-naturedly under her breath.

Lisa chuckled.  "Hand that to the security guard over there." She said, pointing towards the set of doors leading out to the runways.  "I hope you enjoy your trip." She replied with a smile.

"Thanks." Aubrey said then turned and headed that direction.  She handed the card to the mad standing there then walked out onto the tarmac, towards the plane waiting--apparently--for her.  As she got closer two men walked out of the plane and down the stairs, she couldn't get over the surreal feeling of it all.  She was getting a small taste of what it was like being a celebrity and having everyone at your beck and call.  One of the men took her duffle bag as she followed the other one up into the plane. 

She looked around the interior of the jet in awe.  It was like something out of a movie.  There was a short bench seat set up along one side, while two sets of seat sat facing each other about half-way down the cabin.  She could see a small sink and mini fridge set up behind the chairs and assumed the door she saw at the back of the plane was the bathroom.  The interior was richly designed in mahogany wood and champagne colored leather.   She'd never seen anything like it in her life, or ever thought she would!  She sat down in one of the large, plush leather seats and closed her eyes as she leaned her head back.  If this is what it's like being Justin Timberlake, I could get used to this. 

"Is this seat taken?"

Aubrey looked up, a smile spreading across her face as Justin sat down next to her.  She took in his simple white T-shirt and dark gray board shorts; the black baseball cap on his head making her feel overdressed in her jeans, white empire-waisted cami and black jacket.  

"What's that look for?" He asked with a smile as he placed his elbow on the arm rest between them and leaned towards her. 

"Why didn't you tell me you had a jet?" She asked.  He shrugged--his blue eyes sparkling--and Aubrey found herself mesmerized.  She wondered if he had any idea the affect he had on her.  Andrew was sweet and charming, respectful and kind and treated her well but secretly she wanted just a little bit more.  She wanted someone who was all of those things but who was also exciting and dangerous and sexy and Justin represented all of that.  

"You didn't ask." He replied breaking her from her thoughts.  Aubrey narrowed her eyes and pursed her lips as she studied him, her eyes delving into his.  "Do you know where we're going?" He asked.

She shook her head slowly.  "How could I?" She asked.  She leaned back in her chair.  "I've recently discovered you're very good at keeping a secret and bribing those around you to play along in your evil plots."  She looked over at him laughing when he stretched out in his chair, putting his hands behind his head--a smug look on his face.  "Are you going to tell me where we're going now?" She asked.

"Nope." He shook his head and looked over at her.  "This is way too much fun."

"How about how long we're going to be in the air?" She asked.  "Can you tell me that much at least?"

He was quiet for a moment, thinking.  "Mmmm...about two hours I think." He said.  "Give or take."

"Do you have plans on how we're going to spend these next two hours?"  She asked, reaching into her purse and pulling out her favorite tube of lip gloss.  She applied it to her lips then looked over at Justin as he remained quiet.  His blue eyes were fixed on her intently and she felt a shiver go down her spine.  She was suddenly beginning to question the soundness of her decision to come with him on this trip.  She didn't know where they were going and what, if anything, he was expecting out of this weekend.  As Justin's blue eyes remained on hers the nervous feeling in the pit of her stomach intensified.  One thing was for sure: she knew this weekend would be one she'd never forget.

~~~~~~

Justin watched as Aubrey pulled a tube of lip gloss from her purse and applied it to her lips.  He swallowed, completely forgetting the question she'd just asked him.  When she turned to look at him, her hazel eyes curious, all he could think about what how much he suddenly wanted to kiss those inviting lips of hers and trying to figure out how long he'd wanted to kiss her without realizing it.  The thought of doing so didn't surprise him as much as he thought it should and that scared him. 

As the pilot and co-pilot of the jet he'd chartered to take them to their destination closed up the plane and prepared for take-off he crossed his right leg over his left knee. 

"How many tattoos do you have?" Aubrey asked suddenly.  He looked over at her in question and she pointed at his initials and the flames he'd gotten tattooed on his right ankle years ago.

"Seven." He told her.  Her eyes lifted to connect with his.  "Obviously, the initials are self explanatory." He grinned and Aubrey smiled.  "The flames with the rope and the marionette," he pointed to each of the tattoos on his ankle, "are from the success that came from being in N SYNC."  He put his right leg back on the floor and stretched out his left leg.  "That's my zodiac sign--Aquarius." He said, pointing to the band around his calf.  "And that symbolizes music." He explained, pointing at the Chinese symbol on his left ankle.  He lowered his leg and lifted his left shirt sleeve, showing her the large cross on his shoulder.  "Everything I have is a gift from God." He said as he put his sleeve back down.  "Number seven is on my back." He explained.  "It's a picture of an angel with my mom's initials."  Aubrey was quiet as she looked at him, her expression unreadable.  "How ‘bout you?" He asked.  "Do you have any?"

"Tattoos?" She asked.  He nodded, curious as to what her answer would be.  She'd surprised him more than once before so he wouldn't put it past her to have one somewhere.  "No." She shook her head and he found himself a bit disappointed.  "I've thought about getting one, but..."

"But what?" He questioned.

"They're just so...permanent." She replied and he chuckled.  "I mean, what if I pick something and then a few years down the road decide I don't like it anymore?  Too bad.  You're kind of stuck with it now for the rest of your life, you know?"

"I see." He nodded.  "So you have commitment issues." He diagnosed.

"No." She laughed.  "I just...I don't know what I would get or even where I would put it."

"That's the fun part." He said, leaning towards her.  "Deciding where to put it."  He grinned.

"Okay." She said leaning towards him as well.  "Then tell me.  If I got a tattoo where would I put it?"

"First you have to decide what kind of tattoo it is." He said.  "Is it big or small?"

"Mmmm...small." Aubrey replied.  "Something simple like a star or a heart."

Justin cocked his head to the side and he let his eyes travel the length of her as he tried to decide where she should put her imaginary tattoo.  "If you got a star I'd say you should put it either on your ankle or your shoulder." He said. 

"And if I decided to get a heart?" She asked.

His eyes connected with hers again.  "A heart belongs on your hip." He said, a secret thrill running through him at the thought of Aubrey actually getting a tattoo on that part of her body.  He couldn't imagine anything sexier at the moment.  "Somewhere only you and the person you're with are allowed to see."  Her eyes widened slightly and he noticed her breathing pick up speed.  She blinked a few times and swallowed. 

"Are you..." she cleared her throat.  "Are you planning on getting anymore?" She asked.

"Just one more." He said.  "My mom wasn't too happy about me getting all of these so I promised I wouldn't do anymore, except one." He held up his index finger.

"Why the exception?" She asked.  "What's so special about this last tattoo?"

"It's gonna be my wife's initials." He said.

Aubrey smiled.  "That's a good exception."

"Yeah, I thought so." He smiled back. 

"But are you sure it's a good idea?" She asked.

"What do you mean?" He questioned.

"Well," Aubrey sighed.  "Don't take this the wrong way, but in your line of work people don't really stay married for very long.  Getting another person's initials tattooed on your body seems a foolhardy thing to do, don't you think?"

"And we're back to you and your commitment issues." He teased.  She chuckled as she rolled her eyes. 

"I'm serious." She said.

"So am I." He replied.  "I only intend on getting married once."

~~~~~~ 

Aubrey looked at Justin--the look in his eyes similar to the ones he'd given her at her birthday dinner and she wished she could read his thoughts and know what he was thinking.  She was unable to come up with a response to his previous statement.  It was hard to see him actually settling down with someone, but the more she thought about it the less crazy of an idea it seemed.  Out of all the celebrities she could think of, he was probably the most monogamous, aside from JC.  He was only in one relationship at a time, you never read anything about him cheating on the girl he was with, and they were always together for several years--"forever" by Hollywood's standards. 

"That's great." She finally said.  "But, how do you plan to pull that off?"

"By finding a girl I can't live without and who can handle being loved so completely she has no reason to even think about leaving me." He replied honestly.

Aubrey fought to suppress the shiver that went down her spine at his words and had to forcefully keep herself from raising her hand and volunteering for the position like an idiot.  Whoever it was that he eventually married would be one very lucky woman.

"Someone who can handle being loved?" She asked, her brows furrowing in confusion.  Who couldn't handle this man loving them?  Were they crazy?  He was incredible!  He didn't have to take her on this trip.  He could have found someway to get out of it but he hadn't and he was doing way more than she had done to hold up his end of their deal.

"Yeah." He looked away from her and began picking nervously as his shorts.  "Apparently I'm overwhelming." He said, looking back up at her.  "Or so I've been told."

"That's ridiculous." Aubrey replied.  He shrugged.  Again she was speechless.  She didn't know what to tell him so instead she just turned her head and looked out the small window beside her, hating the awkward tension between them.  She heard the rustling of some papers and turned to look at Justin once more.  He sat with a black portfolio open on his lap, different sketches and swatches of fabric on the pages.  "What's that?" Aubrey asked, genuinely curious.

Justin looked up at her.  "Trace and I are doing a fashion show next weekend for our clothing line.  These are some of the new designs we're still working on."  He shifted in his seat and turned the book towards her.  They spent the next forty-five minutes with Justin showing her the design concepts for the new line WilliamRast was coming out with and Aubrey offering her opinions--for whatever they were worth. 

"Ooh, I like that one." Aubrey said pointing to the picture of a black tailored blazer. 

"It'd look great on you." Justin smiled, looking up at her. 

"How much would something like that cost me?" She inquired.  Maybe she'd buy it when it came out.

"About three-fifty." He said, flipping the page.  Aubrey choked.

"Three hundred and fifty dollars?!" She exclaimed.

"Yeah.  It's really not that much." He replied.

"For you maybe!" She laughed.  "But for those of us who live in the real world, Justin, that's a lot of money!  That's about what I pay for my car each month." She told him, putting it in perspective for him.

"You get what you pay for." He said.  "I don't make cheap clothing." He continued.  "If you want something good that's going to last you've got to be willing to pay a little bit more for it."

"You're right." Aubrey said, sensing his annoyance in having to justify himself to her.  "I'm sorry."  She said reaching over and putting her hand on his arm.  Justin looked down at her hand then up at her face.  She smiled.  "I was just disappointed that I'd never be able to buy it." She said withdrawing her hand and trying to ignore the warmth that had traveled up her arm from the contact with him.

"Well," he said putting his elbow up on the arm rest again and leaning towards her.  "It's a good thing you know one of the owners of the company, then." He winked at her.  "I bet he'd be willing to cut you a pretty good deal."

Aubrey laughed.  "How do you find time to do it all?" She questioned. 

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"The clothing line, the production company, the golfing, the acting, the singing and performing...how do you keep it all straight?  And how in the world do you have time to be taking this trip right now when you're putting together a fashion show for next weekend?"

"It's all about priorities." He said.  "And having a really good personal assistant."  Aubrey laughed as she got up from her seat.  "Where are you going?" He asked.

"The little girl's room." She said looking down at him.  "Is that okay?"

"I guess." He replied with a teasing grin. 

Aubrey chuckled as she walked towards the back of the plane.  After taking care of business she came back out, stopping by the sink and fridge.  "You want something to drink?" She asked Justin over her shoulder.

"Sure." He replied.

Aubrey opened up the mini fridge.  "Water, beer or orange juice?" She asked reading off the items in the appliance.

"Orange juice, hmm?" He mused, putting the portfolio back into the bag sitting next to his seat and looking up at her.  "If there's some vodka around here somewhere we'll be in business."

"It's a little too early to be drinking, don't you think?" She laughed.

"It's never too early to drink." He teased.  She turned to look at him.  "Water." He said.

"Water it is." She replied, grabbing two bottles from the fridge and coming to sit next to him again.  She handed one to Justin then unscrewed the cap on hers. 

"So answer me this." He said as she brought the bottle to her lips and took a drink.  Aubrey turned to look at him as she swallowed.  "How is Andrew okay with you coming with me this weekend?"  Aubrey lifted the water bottle to her lips again and turned to face forward unable to meet his eyes as he continued.  "If we were dating there's no way in hell I'd let you go on a weekend trip with another guy." He chuckled.

"He doesn't know." She finally said quietly.  Justin made a noise of interest and she glanced over at him. 

"Where does he think you are?" He asked, his blue eyes watching her intently.  Aubrey felt her cheeks warm in embarrassment and guilt.

"I told him I was going with Rachel to Phoenix for the weekend." She replied.

Justin laughed.  "And he believed you?"

"Why wouldn't he?" She asked. 

He nodded in acceptance of her answer, his blue eyes sparkling.  "Every time I think I have you figured out you go and surprise me again, Aubrey Janae." He said, taking a drink from his water bottle. 

"You'll never have me figured out." She replied saucily, as she crossed one leg over the other and slouched down in her seat.  How could you?  She wondered.  When I don't even have myself figured out?

~~~~~~

Forty-five minutes later their plane finally landed and Aubrey followed Justin down the stairs.  He reached his hand up, taking a hold of hers as he helped her down the last few steps. 

"Thanks." She said squinting up at him, wondering why she'd put her sunglasses in her duffle bag instead of in her purse.  Justin smiled and gave her fingers a small squeeze before he let go of them and Aubrey's heart skipped a beat.  She wished she were brave enough to just ask him point blank if he liked her.  She was so confused.  One minute he was being flirty and oozing sexuality and the next he was teasing and playing around with her like he was her brother or her best friend.  Why can't guys just say what they mean?  She wondered in exasperation as she stood, watching him grab both his bag and hers then start walking towards the terminal building. 

Aubrey looked around as she followed him, trying to figure out where in the world they were.  What was two hours away from L.A. by plane that had palm trees?   Phoenix?  No.  She shook her head.  Phoenix is a huge city.  She'd definitely not seen any buildings big enough to be Phoenix.  How far away is Hawaii?  She wondered as they entered the airport and Justin put their bags up on the counter for the immigration officials to check. 

"Welcome to San Jose del Cabo, Mexico." The man said, taking their passports and ID from them. 

"Cabo?" Aubrey said aloud in surprise.  She looked over at Justin.  He winked at her as their identities were checked.  She looked at him in awe, a giddy excitement bubbling up within her.  Cabo was surprising and unexpected and absolutely perfect!  It was the kind of place she'd always wanted to go, but had never visited.  Being friends with Mr. SexyBack certainly has its perks. She thought with a smile.

"Have a nice day." The airport official said, handing them back their passports and ID.

"Thanks." Justin said.

"Thank you." Aubrey smiled at the man as she put her passport and driver's license into her purse.  Finally.  She knew where she was.  She and Justin waited for their bags to be inspected. When Justin had picked them both up again, she followed him out towards the front door.  He pulled his hat down further, shading his eyes and Aubrey watched as he looked around the open terminal with the trained eyes of a celebrity who was trying to avoid being recognized by fans and paparazzi. 

"They should be here." He murmured under his breath as he paused for a moment. 

"Who?" Aubrey asked, stopping next to him. 

"The place we're staying at was supposed to send a driver to pick us up." He said looking around.  "Ah!  There he is." He said, pointing towards a man standing down at the end of the terminal with a sign that read, Randy. 

"Randy?" Aubrey asked with a giggle as they began walking towards the man.

Justin shrugged as he grinned.  "I learned early on to make reservations under a different name.  Saves me a lot of hassle."

"Alright then, Randy."  She giggled again.  "What else have you learned?"

A purely evil grin spread across his face.  "Wouldn't you like to know?"

~~~~~~

Aubrey lifter her sunglasses and placed them on top of her head as she followed Justin into the condo he'd rented.  Her jaw dropped.  The place was incredible!  Justin dropped their bags to the floor and placed his hands on his hips--his blue eyes watching her intently--as she walked further inside but she didn't notice.  She was too busy taking in her new surroundings.

The kitchen, dining area and sitting room were all open and connected with large windows that allowed a panoramic view of the ocean.  The furniture and décor were all very clean and modern and somehow looked like Justin.  She glanced over at the man standing next to her and smiled as she walked farther into the condo. 

She saw the bedroom through an open doorway.  Her stomach gave a leap when she saw the large bed taking up most of one wall but she refused to think about all the implications that might come of the next two days right now.  She was determined to take it all one step at a time and not worry excessively over what Justin's expectations may or may not be.  Besides, she thought as she opened the glass doors leading outside and stepped out onto the large patio.  He hasn't even kissed me yet.  Or tried to, for that matter!  I'm worrying over nothing.  I'm just a friend to him.  Aubrey looked over at Justin as he came and stood beside her at the railing. 

"This is incredible!"  She breathed as she looked out over the white sandy beach spread below them and the dark blue waters of The Sea of Cortez glittering in the tropical sunshine.  She could see the heat beginning to rise from some of the building and knew it was going to be a hot day.  "I don't think this is very fair though." She said

"What do you mean?" He chuckled. 

"Well, I made you do yard work and help me with my algebra assignment and you've brought me to paradise!"  She spread her arms wide and turned around to lean back against the railing.  "How is this fair?"

Justin laughed, his blue eyes sparkling, as he stood looking out over the balcony's edge.  "Don't worry about it."  He said, bumping her hip with his.  Aubrey looked over at him and smiled.  "It was my choice to bring you here." He said turning to lean back against the railing with her.  He folded his arms across his chest.  "I could have just taken you to China Town for the day, that place can be pretty exotic sometimes."  He winked and Aubrey laughed. 

"Well," she said taking a step away from him.  "We didn't come all this way just to spend the day standing on the balcony did we?" She asked with a grin.

"Hell no." He said straightening and dropping his arms to his sides. 

"Come on." Aubrey said, reaching down and impulsively grabbing his hand.  "Let's go."

~~~~~~

Justin allowed Aubrey to pull him back inside.  He looked down at where their hands were clasped and couldn't help smiling as his eyes traveled back up to her face.  She'd quickly removed the black jacket she'd been wearing that morning when they'd gotten into the car the resort had sent to pick them up.  Although the weather in Cabo was similar to L.A., it had been a bit chilly this morning when they'd left. But now her jacket was of no use to her.  He noticed a light sprinkling of freckles over her now bare shoulders and Justin found himself imagining his hands caressing her soft skin, his lips tasting her--finding out whether she was as sweet as he imagined she'd be. 

A tremor went through him and he dropped Aubrey's hand as if it had burned him.  "I'm going to put my stuff away before we go and change." He said in explanation when Aubrey looked at him in surprise.  He bent down and grabbed his duffle bag.  Slinging it over his shoulder he turned and headed back towards the bedroom.  "You should too.  You're a bit overdressed to be playing on the beach.  There's another room down that hallway." He said pointing in the opposite direction he was heading.

Where were these thoughts coming from?  He was acting like a damned hormonal teenager who'd never been with or seen a beautiful woman before.  While he wanted to curse Rachel and her meddling interference, he couldn't.  Though he couldn't give full credit to her for introducing him to Aubrey--he'd done that all on his own thanks to his overly friendly and insanely curious dogs--it was the "dinner party" Rachel had concocted a few weeks ago that had finally forced him to see Aubrey as the stunningly beautiful woman she was.  There was something about the girl that had begun to get under his skin and, as much as he fought against it, it was starting to affect him in strange ways.

Justin put his bag on the bed and sat down beside it heavily.  Scrubbing his hands over his face he fell back on the mattress with a groan of frustration.  He wasn't supposed to be feeling this way about her.

Why not?  An annoying voice in the back of his mind argued.

Because!  He grumbled internally.  She's Aubrey!  He hadn't planned on falling for her.

But you did.  The voice countered. 

Justin removed his hands from his face as he stared up at the ceiling.  "But I did."

~~~~~~

Aubrey blew out a frustrated breath as Justin disappeared around the corner.  Justin's behavior was getting stranger by the second.  She'd begun to feel like they'd really connected as they'd been talking on the plane about his tattoos and clothing line.  She smiled, remembering the way his eyes had darkened and the shiver that had skirted down her spine when they'd been discussing the possible location of her hypothetical tattoo on the plane.  Bending down Aubrey picked up her duffle bag and walked in the opposite direction Justin had taken, relieved and disappointed all at the same time that there were two bedrooms in this amazing place.

She began humming as she opened her bag, pulling out the swimming suit she'd debated--up until the last minute--about bringing.  She stopped humming as she pulled her bottom lip between her teeth and looked over her shoulder.  Her heart fluttered nervously at the thought of Justin seeing her in this small article of clothing.  She looked back at the suit as she sighed, cocking one hip.

"This is ridiculous." She finally grumbled as she kicked her sandals off and put the swimsuit on her bed.  "He's right." She said as she stepped out of her jeans while Justin's words from a few days ago went through her head.  "I spent the majority of my high school years in a swimming suit.  What's the big deal?"  Tossing her clothes and underwear on the bed she shimmied into the suit.  Tying the wrap around skirt she'd bought the other day to go with the suit, Aubrey pulled the white canvas beach bag she'd brought to keep her wallet, sunscreen and towel in.  Slipping her feet into her favorite pair of brown flip flops she took a deep breath, squared her shoulders and walked back out into the main part of the condo.

~~~~~ 

Justin looked up from where he was slouched against the kitchen counter flipping through the What To Do In Cabo magazine he'd found on the table.  He fought to keep his jaw from dropping.  When she'd fought him Wednesday night about bringing her swimming suit this weekend he'd been trying to figure out why she didn't want to wear it and looking at her now he was even more confused at her insecurity.  The simple brown one piece wasn't the most revealing suit he'd ever seen a girl wear but it was by far the sexiest.  He straightened as she walked towards him, his eyes drawn to the length of her left leg that was revealed by the white wrap around skirt she had tied around her waist. 

"Ready?" She asked with a smile.

"Yeah." He looked up at her, swallowing as she pulled out a bottle of sunscreen from the bag she had slung over her shoulder.  She put the bag on the kitchen table as she popped the top on the sunscreen bottle and squirted a quarter-sized amount of the white liquid into her hand.

"Are you okay?" She asked with a chuckle as she began applying the lotion to her arms and shoulders.

"What?" Justin asked, completely distracted.

Aubrey laughed at him.  "Do you want some?" She asked, handing him the bottle.

"Sure." He said taking it from her.  He began putting sunscreen on his arms as well, trying to focus on that task instead of the completely enticing and enchanting woman in front of him.  He closed his eyes and kicked himself mentally.  Five minutes ago you decide you're falling for her and now you can't control yourself around her.  Keep this up and you're going to scare her away before she even knows you're interested.

"Can you do me a favor?" Aubrey asked, breaking him from his thoughts.  Justin looked up at her, watching as she gathered her hair in one hand and turned her back to him.  "Would you mind?" She asked looking over her shoulder at him. 

"Uh..." Justin swallowed, looking back and forth at the expanse of skin now exposed on her back and the bottle of sunscreen in his hands.  "Sure." He stepped towards her.  He squirted some of the lotion into his hand and cleared his throat, disconcerted to realize his hands were shaking. 

This is ridiculous!  What am I, fifteen?  He put the lotion on her back, an almost electric shock running up his arm at the contact.  He noticed the goose bumps that broke out across her shoulders and arms and smiled.  His fingers ran over her warm skin and he leaned closer to her, inhaling the sweet scent of her perfume.  His hands stilled and she turned around. 

"Thanks." She said, looking up at him.

"You're welcome." He replied, his eyes straying to her lips.  If he leaned forward just a bit he could...

Aubrey pulled back and turned as her cell phone suddenly chimed in her bag and Justin turned, scrubbing his hands over his face and blowing out a frustrated breath.  What the hell am I doing?  He thought.  I should have just taken her to China Town.

~~~~~~

Aubrey pulled her cell phone from her bag, her heart racing.  Her body was still tingling from him applying the sunscreen to her back and she knew Justin had been about to kiss her.  She couldn't decide if she was excited about that or scared out of her mind.  Whichever one it was, she was thankful to whomever it was that had decided to send her a text at that precise moment, though she was surprised she'd received a text at all where she was.  She wasn't sure she was ready to deal with implications that would come with kissing Justin.  Their entire relationship would change. 

And what about Andrew?  Her conscious argued. 

Aubrey sighed.  Andrew.  She flipped open her phone and had to laugh at the irony.  Speak of the devil.  She read the text Andrew had sent her. 

How's Phoenix?

She grimaced as she pulled her bottom lip between her teeth.  She felt horrible about lying to him, but there was no way she was going to tell him where she really was.  Or who she was with! 

Warm.

She replied, wondering how much those two texts were going to end up costing her.  She felt guilty for a second about lying to him again, but pushed it away.  I'm not really lying.  She reasoned.  Phoenix was quite warm this time of year--everyone knew that.  She closed her phone and shoved it back in her bag, then turned to face Justin again.

"Who was that?" He asked casually, picking up the baseball cap he'd been wearing earlier and pulled it on.

"Oh, um..." She tucked her hair behind her ear as she looked down briefly.  "Andrew." She said, looking back up at him.  Justin just stood looking at her--his blue eyes boring into hers--and she wished, once again, that she could read his thoughts. 

"Let's go." He said, finally breaking eye contact with her.  He grabbed the keys to the condo and put them into his pocket.  "Ready?" He asked.  Aubrey smiled as she pulled a white T-shirt from her bag and pulled it over her head.  Perching her sunglasses on her nose she followed him out the door.

~~~~~

Andrew.

If that wasn't the bucket of ice he'd needed thrown over his head, he didn't know what was.  That one word had grabbed him out of the fantasy world he'd been living in the last ten minutes and slammed him back into reality.  She had a boyfriend.  She wasn't available to him.  He'd never been one to step into a relationship and break it up before and he wasn't going to start now.  Aubrey walked past him as he turned and locked the door.

"What do you want to do?" He asked as they began walking down the front stairs and down the sidewalk.

Aubrey shrugged.  "Have you been here before?" She asked.  He nodded.  "Surprise me." She smiled.

He thought for a moment, wondering where to take her.  "Well, there's always snorkeling at Land's End." He said. 

"Land's End?" She questioned, looking over at him.

"It's the tip of the peninsula." He explained.  "It's actually really cool." He grinned.  "You have to take a boat out there, but there's this awesome beach called Lover's Beach with the Pacific Ocean on one side and The Sea of Cortez on the other."

"Lover's Beach?" Aubrey questioned, her eyes narrowed as she looked at him.  He shrugged as he grinned at her.  "It sounds amazing." Aubrey replied.  "I don't care what we do." She smiled.  "We could just sit on the beach all day and I'd be happy."

"You're certainly easy to please." He teased, noticing her cheeks warm when he glanced over at her.  "I don't know about you," He said.  "But I'm starving.  How about we find something to eat, then we can decide what we want to do for the rest of the day?"

"Sounds like a plan." Aubrey smiled.

They found a small outdoor Mexican café and sat, talking and laughing for almost an hour while they ate.  With every word from her mouth and every laugh that escaped her lips Justin found himself more and more infatuated with the girl.  I hope he knows how lucky he is. He thought, thinking of Andrew as he lifted the bottle of beer he'd ordered to his lips. 

Aubrey was unlike any girl he'd ever known before.  She wasn't afraid to be herself and that encouraged him to do the same.  He'd never been with a girl who made him feel less like the celebrity he was and more like the man he wanted to be. 

"Have you ever golfed before?" He asked suddenly.  Aubrey looked at him in surprise.

"No." She shook her head. 

"Shame." He frowned.  "They have an amazing course here."

"I'd be willing to learn." She replied with a smile and a bat of her eyelashes as she leaned across the table and he wondered if she did it on purpose or if she was truly unaware of how seductive she could be.

He grinned as he sat back and looked at her.  As much as he'd love to play a round of golf, this trip wasn't about what he wanted to do.  It was about what she wanted.  "You know what you should do while we're here?" He asked, changing the subject and cocking his head to the side.

"What?" She asked.

"Get a tattoo."

"What?!" She exclaimed with a laugh.

He nodded.  "Yep.  It's settled.  I just decided." He said, pulling out his wallet and leaving enough money on the table to cover their tab.  "Come on." He said grabbing her hand. 

"Justin!" She laughed as he pulled her along behind him. 

"Don't argue with me." He said, pulling her up next to him and tucking her under his arm.  "We're going to get you over your commitment issues." He said.  Aubrey laughed. 

"I'm not getting a tattoo." She shook her head.  "I don't care who you are or what you think you can get away with."

He looked down into her sparkling eyes and laughed.  "Trust me." He said.

~~~~~ 

Aubrey's stomach flipped at those two words.  Trust me.  Oh, he was dangerous!  He knew.  Somehow he knew that she couldn't say no to him.  She was completely under his spell and helpless to do anything about it.  Though she protested, she still allowed him to lead her down the street at a determined pace.

She laughed when he stopped in front of the tent of one of the many sidewalk vendors lining the street they were on.  "Henna?" She asked, looking at him.  He grinned.

"Only semi-permanent." He told her. 

"Okay." She smiled. 

"Yeah?" He asked in surprise. 

"Yeah." She nodded a smile spreading as she stepped away from him and began looking through the design book set up on the table.  "What should I get?" She asked, looking at him over her shoulder.  He grinned as he stepped up next to her. 

"How about a heart?" He asked, his blue eyes sparkling with mischief. 

Aubrey laughed as she shook her head at his teasing.  "Not today." She said, feeling her cheeks warm as she looked down, continuing to flip through the design book. After looking through them all she finally decided--with Justin's help--on a ring of flowers to put around her ankle.

"If you're not going to get a heart," he said.  "This is the next best thing."

"Really?" Aubrey asked.

"Absolutely." He replied with a teasing grin.  "Nothing is sexier than a woman's ankle."

Aubrey looked at him in surprise.  "Nothing?" She questioned, fighting to keep a straight face.

"Well..." He drawled and she laughed. 

"Careful what you say, Randy." She teased.   

"Have a seat." The woman who ran the booth said, pointing to a stool behind her. 

Aubrey sat down on the stool, putting her bag down on the ground beside her and watched as she pulled out the tools she needed to apply the tattoo to her skin.  The woman patted her thigh, indicating she wanted Aubrey to place her foot there.  With a look at Justin, she did so then watched as the tattoo began taking form.

~~~~~ 

Justin folded his arms, watching as Aubrey placed her foot up in the older woman's lap.  The wrap around skirt she was wearing fell open, revealing the full expanse of her leg and his heart skipped a beat.  Her leg seemed to go on forever and he folded his arms across his chest and looked away from her for a moment.  How in the world had it taken him this long to realize how attracted he was to her?  I'm losing my game.  He thought, his eyes moving back to her--unable to stay away for too long.  Aubrey looked up at him with a smile and he winked at her, feeling jealous of the woman applying her tattoo.  He wished he had such a convenient excuse to touch Aubrey like she was.    

"There you go." The woman told Aubrey as she placed her foot back on the ground fifteen minutes later.

"Thank you." Aubrey smiled as she twisted her leg around, looking at the design.  "How much?" She asked, reaching for her bag.

"Ten dollars." 

Aubrey paid her then turned and smiled at Justin.  "What's next?" She asked.

~~~~~~

"Oh my goodness!" Aubrey exclaimed as they walked into the condo that evening.  "I am exhausted!"  She exclaimed as she sunk down onto the couch.  She smiled as Justin sat down beside her, stretching his long legs out in front of him.  "But I had a great day.  Thank you." She told him. 

"You're quite welcome." He replied with a smile of his own.  "I had a pretty great day myself." 

After they had left the tattoo vendor they'd wandered down to the beach, walking along the waterline for a while before taking a boat out to Land's End and Lover's Beach. They spent a few hours snorkeling along the coral reef that was rivaled only by the one located off the coast of Australia.  They'd only run into a few people who had recognized who he was, but on a whole they had been left to themselves and had enjoyed being together.   Justin watched as Aubrey stood.

"I'm going to take a shower." She said, running her hands through her windblown hair. 

"Good idea." He said standing as well.  "I'll order some room service.  What do you feel like?" He asked as they began walking in the opposite directions to their bedrooms. 

Aubrey shrugged.  "Surprise me." She replied with a grin, giving him the line that had become her mantra, and he laughed. 

~~~~~~

"Justin?" Aubrey called out as she walked back into the main part of the house.  She'd been completely exhausted when they'd gotten back forty-five minutes ago, but the shower she'd taken had helped refresh her a bit.  She was also starving--her stomach growling just then to illustrate her point--and she was curious to see what he'd ordered. 

"I'm out here." His voice called from the patio.  She stepped outside, her heart skipping a beat when he turned to look at her--his blue eyes sparkling as his lips lifted in a grin.  "Senorita." He said, pulling out one of the chairs sitting around the patio table for her.  He looked amazing and Aubrey wondered how it was that someone could pull off jeans and a T-shirt as well as he did.  She smiled as he helped scoot her chair in then sat down across from her. 

"I hope you like shrimp." He said as he lifted to lids on the plates sitting in front of them. 

Aubrey inhaled the aroma of the grilled shrimp on her plate and smiled.  "Love it." She said, her eyes connecting with his.  "Good choice."  He breathed a dramatic sigh of relief and she giggled.  "What was that for?"

"With all the times you've told me to surprise you the last little while, I know my luck's bound to run out sooner or later."  He explained as he picked up his fork.  "One of these days I'm going to surprise you with something you hate."

"So far your track record's pretty good." She said, taking a bite of her shrimp.  "I'll go easy on you when that happens." She winked at him.

"Oh, you're too kind." He replied dryly though his eyes sparkled teasingly.  Aubrey laughed.  They continued talking as they ate and she was amazed at the fact that they never seemed to run out of things to say.  Their conversations were usually random and often quite humorous, but they were never boring.  She loved listening to him talk-learning and finding out all about him--and he never failed to make her laugh.  When they were finished eating she got up and walked across the patio.  She put her hands on the railing as she leaned back and looked up at the sky.

"These stars are amazing." She replied, completely in awe over them.  Justin came to stand beside her and she looked over at him as he stood looking up.

"Reminds me of being home." He said.  "That's one thing I don't like about living in L.A."  He told her.  "You can never see the stars at night."

"I know." She agreed.  "There's just something about them that's...magical..." She faltered as he stepped closer to her.  Aubrey looked at him--his eyes drawing her in and holding her captive.  Her breath caught in her throat and she knew what was about to happen.  As his hand came up--his fingers brushing along her cheek--she swallowed, her heart beating rapidly in her chest.  He was going to kiss her!  She watched as he leaned towards her--his face coming closer--and the only thing she could think of was Andrew.

"Stop." She said, putting her hand on Justin's chest.  He pulled back and looked at her, his brows furrowed in question.  "I can't do this." She told him.  "It's not fair to Andrew."  Justin sighed as he turned and gripped the railing in front of him.  Aubrey pulled her bottom lip between her teeth and look at him, pleading for him to understand.  "It's not that I don't want to." She told him, putting her hand on his arm.  He turned his head and looked at her.  "I just...I just can't.  Do you understand?" She asked.

He turned to face her.  "Yes." He nodded.  Lifting both hands he placed them on either side of her face, then leaned down and pressed his lips to her forehead.  Aubrey's heart skipped as he pulled back, his blue eyes delving into hers.  "You are an incredible woman, Aubrey Janae Davis." He said, looking at her in amazement.  "I hope he realizes just how special you are."

Aubrey felt tears come to her eyes as Justin removed his hands from her face and turned, walking back into the house.  She stared at his retreating form, completely blown away by what he'd just said and done.  She turned, the tears in her eyes falling as she looked heavenward once more-praying for the guidance and direction she needed.  Her heart was tempting her down one path, while the logical side of her was leading her down another.  She'd never felt so torn and confused.  How was she supposed to choose between two men who were equally good in their own way?  She'd always been able to make decisions based on what was good and what was bad for her but how did one choose between good and good?

With a sigh she turned and sat down on one of the patio chairs.  Why didn't I just let him kiss me?  She wondered.  How did my life get so messed up?  She hadn't wanted to be with Andrew in the first place and now that she was, the man she did want to be with was finally showing interest in her.  I should just go in there and kiss him myself.  She said.  But she didn't move.  She couldn't do it.

I just rejected Justin Timberlake.  She sighed.  What in the world is wrong with me?   

~~~~~~

Justin groaned as he rolled over in his bed, the early morning sun shining in his eyes.  After leaving Aubrey out on the patio last night, he'd spent a restless night in his room trying to convince himself not to march back out there and just kiss her anyway.  Damn Andrew and her admirable loyalty to the guy!  But he just couldn't do it.  The tortured look in her eyes as she'd pled with him to understand why she couldn't kiss him, sent an arrow straight to his heart.  He couldn't do it.  He couldn't hurt her like that.  The only consolation to the fact that he'd gone and made things sufficiently awkward between them was the proof he now had that if they ever were to be together he'd know she'd remain loyal to him no matter what. 

With another groan, this one out of frustration, Justin threw the sheets off of him.  Grabbing the running shorts he'd brought out of his duffle bag, he pulled his tennis shoes on and jammed his baseball cap on his head.  He needed to clear his head and a good run usually did that for him.  Quietly he left the condo, and took off at a steady pace down the street wishing for someway to go back in time and take back what he'd done.

~~~~~

Aubrey yawned and stretched her arms above her head, then snuggled back under the blankets.  She hadn't thought she'd get much sleep last night, but as soon as her head hit her pillow she was out; the incredibly comfortable bed lulling her mentally and physically exhausted body into a deep and dreamless sleep.  She turned and looked at the alarm clock on the bedside table.  9:15

I wonder when we're leaving.  She thought as she stretched again, and then finally got up out of bed.  Grabbing some clean clothes from her duffle bag she headed into the bathroom connected to her room and started the shower. 

An hour later she finally left her room, deciding she'd put off facing Justin long enough.  She was nervous about how to act around him after what had happened last night.  She wasn't sure what she was going to say to him.  She'd thought about his words and the kiss to the forehead he'd given her and she couldn't get the sad look in his blue eyes out of her head.  He'd wanted to kiss her, but had stopped at her request.  What kind of man did that?  She wasn't sure but she didn't think that very many men in his position would have done the same.  Justin Timberlake truly was the down-home, Southern gentleman he seemed to be.

Aubrey stopped short as she came around the corner-the sight of Justin flipping pancakes at the stove making her heart skip a beat.  He must have sensed her presence because he turned around just then and smiled at her. 

"Good morning." He said. 

"Good morning." She replied, forcing her feet to carry her forward. 

"You're just in time." He said, turning back to the pan in front of him.  "These are almost ready."

Aubrey sat down heavily at the kitchen table, watching in awe as he grabbed the skillet and walked towards her.  "How did you..." She began as he placed the two perfectly golden brown pancakes on her plate.  "Where did you get the stuff to make pancakes?" She asked.

"I was up early." He said returning to the stove.  "So I went down to the little market on the corner."  Aubrey looked at the food in front of her, then back at the man standing not ten feet away from her.  She put her elbow up on the table, resting her chin in her hand as she looked at him in amazement. 

Before she could think about it she stood up and walked towards him.  Justin turned to look at her, opening his mouth as if to speak but before the words could form she gripped the front of his shirt and pulled him towards her--pressing her lips against his.  A shot went through her and she pulled back after a few seconds, her chest rising and falling rapidly.  Before she got very far however, Justin put his hands on her face and captured her lips with his, instantly igniting a fire within her. 

Aubrey wrapped her arms around his neck as he tugged her closer, tilting his head in order to deepen the kiss.  She let out a soft moan as he lowered his arms.  His hands gripped her hips--his thumbs brushing along the soft skin below the hem of her T-shirt--and she let out a soft moan.  She gasped as he pulled back and turned suddenly, trapping her between the counter and his firm chest.  His lips connected with hers once again and Aubrey found herself grateful he was holding her up--there was no way her legs would be able to support her.  He mumbled something against her lips but she couldn't understand him. 

"What?" She asked pulling back.

He looked at her.  "Do you want some orange juice?" He asked.

Aubrey was startled back to reality at Justin's question.  Her cheeks blazed as she looked up at him--his blue eyes watching her curiously from where he stood--and realized that what had just happened had only been a figment of her imagination.  She hadn't moved from her spot at the table.  The pancakes he'd placed on her plate a few minutes ago were still sitting there, getting cold. 

"Aubrey?" He asked when she remained quiet.

"Huh?" She asked her eyes dropping.  She couldn't look at him without recalling the way she'd just imagined kissing him.  Her stomach quivered and she cursed her addiction to reading.  She blamed her overactive imagination on the inordinate amount of time she spent reading everyday. 

"Do you want some orange juice?" Justin asked for the third time, looking at her strangely.

"Yes." She said, glancing up at him as she handed him her glass.  "Thanks."

"No problem." He chuckled.  "I thought I lost you there for a second."

"Sorry." She replied as he sat down across from her.  "I was just thinking...about something.  What time do we have to be back at the airport?" She asked, quickly changing the subject.

"Two." He said, watching her closely as she spread some butter on her pancakes then reached for the syrup.

"Good." She said, finally taking a bite.  "There were some bracelets I saw yesterday that I wanted to go back and get for my mom for her birthday." She said beginning to ramble, trying to forget the steamy daydream she'd just had. 

"Okay." He replied.  "Whatever you want."

Does that include you? She thought, putting a hand over her mouth to keep the words from actually coming out.  What is wrong with me?!  She closed her eyes.

"Are you okay?" Justin asked. 

"I'm fine." She insisted, finally looking up at him.  His eyes narrowed in concern as he watched her.  She forced a smile as she placed another bite in her mouth.

"Are you sure?" He questioned.

"Yes." Aubrey nodded.  "Never better."  She lied.

~~~~~~

After finishing their awkward breakfast--Justin looking at her the whole time as if he wanted to say something but never did--they cleaned up and started packing their things.  Aubrey tried to ignore the disappointment she could read in his blue eyes and, though he tried to force a smile and be himself, finally his melancholy mood got the better of her and she had to leave for a few minutes before she was tempted to do something to break the tension between them. 

Slipping out of the house she walked down to the row of street vendors they'd perused the day before.  Aubrey glanced down at the tattoo around her ankle, remembering the way Justin had teased her about what design she should get and then the way he had looked at her as the woman had been applying the ink to her skin.  It hadn't been hard to read that look--it was the same look he'd given her on her birthday.  The same look he'd given her last night as they'd stood outside on the patio.  He wanted her. 

But for how long?

Try as she might, she couldn't get Andrew's words from last week out of her head.  "Why would he settle for someone like you?"  Andrew was right.  Justin had his pick of any woman on the planet.  Why would he pick her?  Why would he settle for plain, old, boring Aubrey Davis from nowhere, Virginia?

"He's a celebrity.  He's used to getting his way." 

"Well that's certainly true." Aubrey mumbled under her breath.  He wasn't stuck up and pretentious but it was obvious he was used to a certain way of life.  I mean, come on.  She thought.  Who has the money to just fly to Cabo for the weekend--on a private jet--and rent out a private condo?  A small laugh escaped her as she finally came to the jewelry vendor she'd seen the day before.  Picking out a couple silver bracelets she thought her mom would like, Aubrey turned and headed back towards the condo.  She'd left without telling Justin where she was going and she didn't want him to worry about her. 

As she walked slowly back the way she'd come, the last angry retort of Andrew's played in her head. 

"You're naïve if you think he's after anything more than a chance to get in your pants."

Her step faltered as she thought about Andrew's declaration.  If that were true, why hadn't Justin pushed her harder last night?  If he'd really wanted to sleep with her all he would have had to do was turn on the charm a little more and she'd have eventually caved.

But he hadn't. 

Instead of pressing her, he'd respected her and left her alone with only the soft kiss he'd placed on her forehead, and the declaration that he thought she was incredible and special. 

A tingle went through her and goose bumps broke out over her arms as she recalled the look in his blue eyes as he'd said those words to her.  She didn't believe he was after just a quick roll in the sheets with her.  She couldn't.  But if he wasn't, what was he after?  What exactly had been his motivation behind their almost kiss last night?  While a part of her wanted to talk about what had happened the night before--ask him what he had been thinking--a bigger part of her just wanted to move on from the whole embarrassing and awkward situation and put it behind them.  They both knew what had almost happened, and they both knew why it couldn't.

Chapter End Notes:
don't hate me...lol...


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story