Three weeks later

"Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears dating again?  The former pop Prince and Princess were recently seen entering and leaving a Los Angles restaurant together Sunday night.  Sources say..."

Aubrey angrily turned off her car radio Monday morning.  "I can't get away from him." She muttered under her breath.  No matter where she went or what she was doing, all she ever seemed to hear about or see was Justin and whatever actress or singer was his current flavor of the night.  In the past three weeks he'd been linked to Taylor Swift, Kate Hudson, Riahanna, and now it seemed he was getting back with his famous ex: Britney. 

Aubrey gripped the steering wheel tightly as she came to a red light.  She was angry--though she knew there was no logical reason for it.  She should feel relieved but she didn't.  Her fear of him one day hurting her was playing out right in front of her eyes.  He was hopping from starlet to starlet like they were going out of season.  He had been photographed at almost every party and event in the past month, and each time he had a different woman on his arm.  She should feel grateful she'd decided to cut him out of her life but she didn't.  If it hadn't been for him, she might still have had a chance with Andrew.  A niggling thought at the back of her mind whispered that it wasn't Justin's fault so much as her own that things hadn't worked with Andrew, but she refused to listen to it for long--instead, she wanted to blame Justin; Justin and all his superstar, sex appeal that had gotten her into trouble in the first place!

With a sigh she pulled into a parking spot and turned her car off.  As much as she wanted to stay angry, what she really felt was sorry for him.  She'd gotten to know him pretty well, and not just the image he portrayed to the media.  She'd gotten to know the real Justin--the one that she was sure not very many people got a chance to know because of the barriers he was forced to keep up professionally.  The sparkle was missing from his eyes.  She could see it even from the images on her television and the pictures printed in the magazines. 

Just last night she and Grams had been watching television together and one of the entertainment news shows had come on.  Who was the star of the hour?  Justin Timberlake.  Against her better judgment she had sat, her eyes hungrily taking in the sight of him.  He was smiling, but it wasn't a real smile.  She'd seen him when he was really happy--his whole face lit up and it was hard not to smile along with him, even if you didn't know what it was he was so amused at--and she wondered why he was putting on such an elaborate act for everyone.

"Isn't that the boy who came over and worked on the garden with you?" Grams had asked, looking over at her in question.

"No." Aubrey shook her head, her eyes unable to leave the television screen.  "He just looks like him."  The more she looked at him, the sadder she felt.  He looked tired--like he hadn't slept for days, the slight bags under his eyes and the thicker scruff on his face only added to his slightly haggard expression. 

This Justin was not the same Justin who had spent an entire Saturday morning helping her plant a garden.  He wasn't the same Justin who had taken her paint balling, or plotted with her on how to get back at Rachel.  He wasn't the same Justin who had made her laugh almost constantly with his quick humor or made her stomach quiver with the way he looked at her.  He wasn't the same Justin who had taken her to Cabo and he definitely wasn't the same Justin who had tried to kiss her.  Something had happened to him in the month since they'd last seen each other and she suddenly wanted to call him up and ask him if he was okay.  Her heart twisted painfully in her chest the more she thought about him.  She wanted to pick up the phone and hear his voice on the other end so badly it hurt, but she couldn't.  She'd done what she'd told Andrew she had: she'd deleted Justin's number from her phone and she hadn't memorized it.  She had no way of getting in contact with him, except through Rachel--who was currently in Europe with JC, but even if she wasn't Aubrey knew she wouldn't ask Rachel for Justin's number.  She didn't want to deal with all the questions about why she needed it and how come she didn't already have it and...

A sudden honk of a car horn startled her, bringing her back to reality and the fact that she was still sitting in her car in the parking lot outside her office building.  Aubrey grabbed her purse as she quickly got out of her car and walked towards the front door of the building.  She had to quit dwelling on the past.  Justin was gone.  She'd made her choice and--even though that choice had come back to bite her in the butt--she knew she had to live with it.  Someday she'd be able to look back on everything that had happened the last six months and not feel the heartache and nausea that came when she wondered if she'd thrown away her one chance at love.

Someday.  She thought.  But not today.

~~~~~~

"Hey, girly!" Rachel exclaimed as she walked up to the outside table Aubrey was sitting at Tuesday afternoon. 

"Hi!" Aubrey replied excitedly as she stood and gave Rachel a hug.  Rachel had called her yesterday and asked if she wanted to go to lunch the next day and Aubrey had jumped at the idea-agreeing to meet her at this particular café.  The girls hadn't had a chance to see each other in almost two weeks and Aubrey hadn't realized just how lonely she'd been until she'd heard Rachel's voice on the phone.  "How are you?" She asked, as they pulled apart and Rachel sat down across from her.

"Fantastic." Rachel replied with a smile, putting her sunglasses atop her head and opening her menu.

"How was Europe?" Aubrey asked wanting to know all about her time overseas, touring with JC.

"I was hoping you'd ask!" Rachel said with an excited grin and an obvious sparkle in her eyes.  She held out her left hand as she pulled her bottom lip between her teeth and Aubrey let out an excited gasp as she saw the diamond engagement ring on Rachel's finger. 

"He proposed?!" She asked, taking Rachel's hand in hers as she examined the ring. 

"Yep!" Rachel replied.

"Oh!  It's gorgeous." Aubrey said.  "When did he ask you?"

"Last weekend when we were in Paris." Rachel said looking down at the ring herself, a dreamy expression on her face as she let out a little sigh. "When we were there last Christmas he promised the next time we went to Paris he'd propose for real.  Although," she said looking up at Aubrey.  "I didn't think he'd actually do it."

"How did he ask you?" Aubrey asked, ridiculously happy for Rachel.  There was no denying she and JC were meant for each other--all you had to do was be in the same room with the two of them and you couldn't help but feel the love between them.  It was a fairytale romance if ever there was one that was for sure, but it was also real.  They'd been through a lot together and had overcome things that would tear other couples apart.  This was one Hollywood romance that was going to last. 

"We were walking along the Seine, he pulled out the ring and--after telling me about how I'd turned his life upside down and he couldn't live without me--he asked me."

"That's awesome!" Aubrey said with a big smile.  "Congratulations."

"Thanks." Rachel smiled as she pulled back.  "But enough about me." She waved her hand through the air.  "How have things been around the office?" She asked.

"Oh, pretty much the same." Aubrey replied as she looked down at her menu, trying to decide between the Caesar Salad or the Turkey Avocado Club Sandwich.  "Although, you've been the hot topic around the place." She said casually.  Rachel chuckled.  "Rob was fired last week, in case you didn't know." She said.

"It's about time." Rachel said with disgust.  "Have they gotten someone yet to take his place?"

"Matt came back from New York."

"He's staying?" Rachel asked in surprise.

"You knew Matt was here?" Aubrey questioned.

"Yeah, but I didn't know for how long." Rachel replied. 

"I bet he'd give you your job back." Aubrey offered.  Since Rachel had filed her sexual harassment suit against the former Acting Vice President of Adams & Richards, quit suddenly the same day and then decided to leave the country--chasing after her pop star boyfriend--Aubrey had missed talking to and seeing her everyday.  Things just weren't the same anymore without Rachel's dramatic exaggerations that always made her laugh.

"He actually tried calling me last week about that, but Jace and I were in Germany and my phone wasn't working.  The voicemail just came through last night."

"And?" Aubrey asked.

Rachel shook her head.  "I think I'm going to take a break for awhile."

"This doesn't have anything to do with the fact that your fiancée is a former teen idol of yours who is currently touring with his new album and--aside from the face that you're ridiculously and totally in love with him--you're also his not so secret biggest fan?" Aubrey teased.

"Mmmm...possibly." Rachel replied with a smile.  Both girls laughed.  They finally ordered their food and spent the rest of the time Aubrey had for her lunch break talking and laughing.  As they got up to leave and were walking out to the parking lot Rachel asked, "What are you doing this weekend?"

"Nothing, I don't think." Aubrey replied.  "Why?"

"Good.  We're having an engagement party slash barbeque on Saturday for the Fourth."

"Sounds fun." Aubrey said.  "What time?"

"I don't know yet." Rachel said.  "I just barely talked Jace into it last night." She grinned mischievously.  Aubrey chuckled as she shook her head though Rachel's answer didn't really surprise her-she could talk that man into anything!   "I'll give you a call tonight."

"Okay." Aubrey said with a smile.  "Wait!" She said as a thought came to her.  Her heart began beating nervously in her chest and she suddenly felt a little sea-sick.  Rachel turned to look at her.  "Is Justin going to be there?"

"I don't know, why?" Rachel asked.

Aubrey swallowed.  "I'll only come if Justin isn't there."

Rachel looked at her in surprise, her brows furrowed in confusion.  "I...can't promise that he won't be there." She said.  "He and Jace are friends..." she trailed off at the look on Aubrey's face.  "But I think I heard JC say something about Justin being out of town until next week." She rushed to assure her.  "So he probably won't be there."  The girls stopped beside Aubrey's SUV.  "Please come?" Rachel asked, poking her bottom lip out. 

"This isn't going to turn out like my birthday is it?" She asked folding her arms across her chest and looking at Rachel, one eye brow raised.

"No." Rachel shook her head.  "I've learned my lesson." She drew a cross over her heart with her finger.  "Cross my heart, I promise never to interfere in your life again." Aubrey chuckled and Rachel grinned.  "My best friend Megan and her husband are coming with their baby, and Jace's parents and brother and sister will be there.  I don't know who else is invited yet, but there will be other people there I'm sure."  She looked at Aubrey imploringly.  "Will you come?" She asked.

Aubrey thought about it for a moment then sighed as she dropped her arms to the side.  "Fine." She relented at last.

"Yea!" Rachel exclaimed excitedly.

"But I'm leaving the moment he shows up." Aubrey pointed her finger at Rachel in warning.

"Okay." Rachel nodded.  She gave Aubrey a hug.

"What do you want me to bring?" Aubrey asked with a chuckle.

"I'll call you later with the details." Rachel replied as she turned to leave.

"Alright, bye." Aubrey waved then got into her car, her stomach doing a nervous flip.  Although she'd warned Rachel she didn't want to be there if Justin was invited--and that she'd leave the moment he showed up--there was a part of her that hoped he'd be there and she wondered what she would do when she saw him.

~~~~~~

"Where do you want these?" Aubrey asked Rachel as she began picking up the chocolate chip cookies that had been cooling on the counter and arranged them on a plate.

"Uh..." Rachel poked her head around the open refrigerator door.  She took a step backwards, several bowls stacked on top of one another in her hands.  "Can put them out by the drinks, maybe?" She said placing the bowls on the counter and opening them.  Aubrey watched as she dumped the ingredients from the smaller bowls into the larger one and began mixing everything together. 

"Dad needs a match.  Do we have any?" JC asked suddenly coming into the kitchen and rummaging through all the drawers.

"In the cupboard above the fridge." Rachel answered.  "Here, taste this." She said, holding out a spoonful of the chicken salad she'd just finished.  JC leaned over and took the bite she was offering.  "Does it need more salt?" She asked him.

"No." He shook his head.  "It's perfect." He placed a quick kiss to her lips then turned.  Grabbing the matches he left. 

"Alright, Scott's down for at least an hour." Megan said coming into the kitchen.  "Put me to work." She smiled.

"Um," Rachel put her hands on her hips.  "You can take this out." She said, handing her friend the bowl of chicken salad.  "Aubrey's finishing up with the cookies and I'm going to bring out the chips and then I think everything's done." She said.  "Thanks for all your help, you guys." She said. 

"You're welcome." Aubrey smiled as she picked up the plate of cookies and began walking towards the back door. 

"Oh! Aubrey?" Rachel called out before she got too far.

"Yeah?" Aubrey asked as she turned around.

"Can you ask JC to come back in here for a second?"

"Sure." Aubrey replied turning back around.  She let out a startled gasp when the plate of cookies ended up smashed all over the front of her shirt as the person she hadn't known was behind her ran into her--a pair of hands grabbing her arms reflexively to steady her.

"I'm sorry." He said and her heart jumped into her throat as she instantly recognized his voice.  Her eyes shot up to his and her breath caught in her throat as she was momentarily taken back by their brilliance.  Had his eyes always been that blue? 

"Justin." She breathed, her heart beating rapidly in her chest.

"We've got to quit running into each other like this." He teased quietly, the corners of his mouth lifting slightly.  "You're not going to have anything left to wear pretty soon." His eyes lowered to the plate she was still holding against herself.

Aubrey tore her eyes away from him and finally looked down as well--her cheeks warming at the chocolate stains now adorning the front of her white T-shirt.  "Serves me right for wearing white to a barbeque, right?" She asked, stepping away from him.  His hands finally released her and she glanced up at him again, cursing the way he was able to get her blood pumping so easily.  He'd hardly said anything to her and she was melting into a puddle right in front of him!  Get a hold of yourself.  She reprimanded herself.  It's just Justin!  And you're mad at him, remember? 

"I thought you were out of town." Rachel said, coming up and shoving the bags of chips she'd been holding at Justin.

"I was." He replied taking them.  "But my trip got cut short."

"Hmmm." Rachel hummed.  "Take those out for me, will you?" She asked.  "While I help Aubrey find something else to wear."  Rachel grabbed onto Aubrey's arm tightly, as if she were afraid Aubrey was going to run away.  Aubrey looked over at her, wanting to let her know she was okay.  Seeing Justin again hadn't been as bad as she'd been imagining.  "Megan, will you show him where to put the chips?" Rachel asked.

"Sure." Megan smiled.  Rachel began leading Aubrey through the family room and she turned--fully aware that Justin was still watching her as she walked away. 

~~~~~~  

Justin stood, unable to take his eyes off of her as Aubrey walked away with Rachel.  He had forgotten how truly beautiful she was.  He was surrounded by beauty everyday in his line of work but it was an unrealistic kind of beauty--one only achieved by the magic of make-up artists and airbrushing.  Aubrey didn't need any of that to stand out.  With her amazing smile, incredible eyes and adorable freckles she was perfection in a dress.  Or a skirt in this instance. He mused. 

He watched as her hips moved back and forth in the simple black, tiered, calf-length skirt she was wearing and had to swallow the sudden excess moisture in his mouth.  He was such an idiot for letting her just walk away without so much as good-bye!  Why did he think he'd be able to forget about her by drowning himself in work and surrounding himself with people? 

"Follow me.  I'll show you where Rachel wants those." Megan said, breaking him from his thoughts. 

Justin looked over at her then back at Aubrey.  His eyes connected with hers as she turned to look at him before she and Rachel disappeared upstairs and he felt his heart skip a beat and hope flared briefly in his chest.  Maybe it wasn't a lost cause.  He hadn't seen anyone out in the back yard he didn't recognize, so maybe Andrew hadn't come with her today.  He felt a smile spread as he turned and finally followed Megan outside.  Maybe, if he played his cards right, he could convince Aubrey to change her mind about who it was she wanted to be with.

~~~~~

"I can't wear that!" Aubrey exclaimed as Rachel held up the black, knee-length, spaghetti strap dress.

"Why not?" Rachel questioned, looking at the dress.

"First of all," Aubrey began.  "There's no way it's going to fit me since you're basically a size zero and second, everyone else--including yourself--is wearing jeans!  I'm going to stick out like a sore thumb!"

"Okay, I am not a size zero." Rachel countered taking the dress off the hanger.  "And neither is this dress.  And secondly, you're not going to stick out because you're going to leave your hair down, you're going to still wear your flip flops and you're not going to be wearing any jewelry.  It's going to still be very casual.  You'll be fine.  Unless you want to go out wearing your chocolate stained shirt, this is your only option."  She looked around the large walk-in closet.  "We could try to find something of Jace's for you to wear, but he really is a size zero so I don't think that's going to work."  She laughed.  "Even I don't fit into his jeans." Rachel confessed.  Aubrey still looked unconvinced.  "You're wearing a skirt right now." Rachel pointed.  "What's the difference between that and this?" She asked pointing at the dress in her hands.

"Well..." Aubrey hesitated.  "I just...I don't think it's a good idea." She finished lamely.

"Do you want to get his attention or not?" Rachel asked, cocking her hip to the side and looking at her pointedly.

"Yes.  No!" Aubrey replied quickly.  "Who?" She asked. Rachel raised one brow as the color flared on Aubrey's cheeks.

"Don't play innocent with me right now." Rachel said.  "I saw what just happened downstairs between you two.  And I know," she put up a hand to stop Aubrey as she opened her mouth to protest.  "You've decided you don't want to be with him--for some insane reason that I'm still trying to figure out--but come on." She held the dress up in front of her and waved it back and forth.  "You can't tell me you don't want to put this on, walk out there like you don't give a damn about anyone or anything and watch him drool." Rachel finished, feeling devilish.  "Teasing boys is one of the prerogatives of being a woman and it's high time you joined the club."

"I don't know..." Aubrey drawled.  Rachel could see the wavering in her friend's eyes and knew she was winning the argument. 

"Put it on." She said holding it out to her. 

"It's not going to fit." Aubrey replied.

"You won't know unless you try." Rachel countered.  "But I'm pretty sure it will.  You're smaller up top than I am." 

"Fine." Aubrey said in a huff, finally taking off her shirt and reaching for the dress.  "But if it doesn't fit..." she stopped as she pulled the dress over her head and looked up at Rachel.

Rachel grinned triumphantly.  "Perfect." She proclaimed.  He's not going to know what hit him.

~~~~~~

"I talked to Joey and Chris when I was in Orlando last week." Justin told JC as he lifted the bottle in his hands to his lips, taking a swig of his beer.  "They said everything's all set for them to come out here the end...of the month..." Justin trailed off as Aubrey stepped outside, another plate of cookies in her hands.  His jaw dropped as his eyes raked over her.  What was it about this woman in a black dress that made his mouth go dry and his libido run wild?  JC chuckled quietly beside him.  "What?" Justin asked, turning to look at the guy.

"Nothing." JC shrugged as he lifted the glass in his hand, taking a sip of his ice tea.   Justin looked at him in question.  "Better make your move quick though, before somebody else moves in."  He pointed and Justin turned his attention back to Aubrey, his eyes narrowing as he watched JC's younger brother, Tyler approach Aubrey.  

"I'll be back." Justin said as he began moving towards the pair.  Tyler was a great guy, but having him here today--making a move on Aubrey--was going to interfere with his plan to get her back.  He stopped a few feet from Tyler and Aubrey, folding his arms over his chest as he watched them.  Aubrey laughed at whatever Tyler had just said-putting her hand on his arm.  She tossed her hair over her shoulder and Justin narrowed his eyes. What was she playing at? 

Aubrey's eyes caught his and he straightened, a smile coming to his lips.  "Hey." Justin said.

"Oh.  Hi, Justin." Aubrey said then turned and linked her arm with Tyler's.  "Anyway, what were saying, Tyler?" She asked, turning her attention back to the other guy as she walked away with him. 

Justin stood his arms dropping to his sides with his jaw open once again but for an entirely different reason this time.  She'd just blown him off!  What the hell?!  He thought.  What in the world gave her the right to blow him off?  He turned to look at Aubrey as she stood next to Tyler and his parents.  She looked over at him, tucking some hair behind her ear before going back to the conversation she was involved in.  Okay, Aubrey Janae.  He said, taking a deep breath--an idea forming.  You want to play dirty?  I can play dirty. 

~~~~~~

Aubrey looked around the yard as she grabbed another chocolate chip cookie, a nervous flutter in her stomach.  Since she'd walked away from Justin with Tyler, she'd managed to keep an eye on him.  She wasn't sure what he was planning to do, but that calculating look in his blue eyes every time she looked at him made her nervous.  She shouldn't have snubbed him like that.  It had been so...juvenile.  It was pathetic really, the way she was acting.  She should have just left after she'd ruined her white shirt with the first plate of cookies. 

"Where's Andrew?"

Aubrey gasped and turned around quickly, holding a hand against her chest as she leaned back against the table.  "Justin!" She exclaimed, a shiver skirting down her spine as he looked down at her.  She was suddenly finding it hard to breathe as he cocked his head to the side--his blue eyes slowly running down and back up her body.  "What are you..." she cleared her throat.  "How are you?" She asked casually, attempting to regain some of her earlier composure.  Rachel had made her put on this stupid dress, telling her that if she walked out here with her shoulders back and a confident air around her she'd have Justin eating out of her hand in no time--especially if she ignored him--but one look from him and she was putty in his hands.  She mentally slapped herself.  She was being a ridiculous girl, letting him affect her so easily.  She cursed every single female hormone in her body that was currently reacting to the man standing in front of her.

"I asked you first." He said, his eyes holding hers intently.

Aubrey straightened, squaring her shoulders as she turned and moved down the table.  She picked up a plate, absent mindedly putting different things on it though she had no intention in eating any of it.  "He's uh..." she fought to control another shiver as Justin moved as well.  She could feel him behind her and she wished he would just leave her alone.  She didn't want to be feeling this way about him right now!  "We broke up, okay?" She asked finally, looking at him over her shoulder.  "What about you and Britney?" She asked, unable to hide the contempt in her voice as she said the girl's name.  "How's that going for you?" She asked, dipping a carrot into the ranch she'd put on her plate.

"That was nothing." He told her.  "She wants me to produce a song for her, that's all." Aubrey looked at him in disbelief as she put the carrot in her mouth, snapping it loudly for effect.  "Why did you and Andrew break up?" Justin asked stepping towards her. 

Aubrey backed up slightly--coming in contact with the table once again.  Confidence...composure.  She coached herself silently as she turned slightly, putting her plate down on the table.  Don't let him know he's getting to you... 

"Because of you." She replied evenly, folding her arms across her chest.

"What did I do?" He asked.

"Nothing." Aubrey replied taking a deep breath to try and calm her rapidly beating heart.  Unfortunately, all it did was invade her senses with the scent of his musky and--she sighed--incredibly sexy and intoxicating cologne.  Stop it!  She scolded herself as she felt her defenses against him slipping. "Nothing, except be yourself." She finished.

"What's wrong with being myself?" He asked with a cocky grin.  Aubrey was tempted to smack him for that comment, but she couldn't.  The sparkle was back in his eyes and against her will it made her heart skip.  "No answer?" He asked.  Aubrey felt her lips twitch upwards but quickly pulled them back down.  "I saw that." He remarked quietly with a wink. 

"What do you want, Justin?" She asked with a sigh. 

  

"World peace?" He answered.  Aubrey rolled her eyes at him.  "What was that?" He asked.

"What?" Aubrey questioned.

"You rolled your eyes at me!" He exclaimed as he pulled back, folding his arms across his chest. 

"So?" She asked with a shrug of one shoulder.  "What are you going to do about it?"  She stood, looking at him for a second longer then--when it seemed he wasn't going to do anything about it--she turned intent on walking away. 

Justin put his hand on her arm and turned her back around to face him.  "I think we need to have a serious discussion." He said simply, and before she could protest he pulled her towards the patio and into the house.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story