Author's Chapter Notes:
just killing time until Jonas Brother's tickets go on sale...
"Relax." Justin chuckled quietly as he moved behind Aubrey Saturday afternoon.  "Nobody's watching.  I'm going to show you what to do." He took a deep, steadying breath.  "Close your eyes."

Aubrey did as Justin requested, wondering why she'd agreed to do this.  Why had she told him she was comfortable with this whole thing?  She opened her eyes again, watching as Justin's hands covered her own--guiding them where he wanted them.  "I feel kind of silly doing this." She admitted looking over her shoulder at him.

"Everyone does their first time." He told her with a wink.  "You're doing great."  Aubrey lifted a brow as she looked at him in disbelief.  "What?" He asked, stepping away from her as he looked at her.

"We've got to work on this bad habit you have of lying." She replied dryly.  He laughed as he moved back behind her.

Justin put his arms around her as his hands covered hers again.  Aubrey knew she should be paying attention to what he was showing her but all she could concentrate on was the feel of him completely surrounding her--wrapping her in the protection of his embrace.  There was nothing better than the feeling that came when he put his arms around her and held her close.  She sighed and smiled to herself, wondering what he would do if she were to just turn around and kiss him right now. 

It had been two weeks since the barbeque at Rachel and JC's house and in that time they had been together almost every spare second they had--which wasn't much considering their busy schedules.  They had fallen into such an easy and comfortable relationship that it was hard for her to remember what life had been like before.  She couldn't remember ever being this happy and hoped the feeling would never leave.  

"Are you sure I don't look ridiculous?" Aubrey asked, needing his reassurance.

"I'm sure." Justin replied with a chuckle.  "You look hot." He said, placing his lips against the side of her neck. 

Aubrey shivered involuntarily.  "Are we going to make-out or are you going to show me how to do this?" She asked.

"Hmmm..." Justin hummed, running his hands up her arms and down her sides--his hands finally resting on her hips as he pulled her back against him.  "I didn't know making out was an option right now." He said kissing the other side of her neck.

"It's not." Aubrey replied.  Justin groaned in frustration and she laughed.  "But I'll tell you what." She said, turning around and wrapping her arms around his neck.

"What?" He asked.

"If you help me right now and make it so I don't look like a complete idiot out on the course tomorrow..." she paused and he bent down slightly.  Wrapping his arms around her waist he straightened, picking her up so her toes barely brushed to ground.  "I'll make you dinner tomorrow night."

"What about tonight?" He asked.

"Tonight we can make-out while we watch a movie or something."

"Promise?" He asked, his blue eyes sparkling mischievously.

Aubrey grinned as she kissed him quickly.  "Promise.  Now, put me down and help me work on my stroke here."

Justin let out another groan, this time sounding as if he were in pain.  "If you really want to work on your stroke," Justin replied stepping up behind her once more.  "I can think of a better way to do that."

Aubrey rolled her eyes, though he couldn't see her, and smiled.   "Not gonna happen, Superstar."

"You're a tease." He accused.

"And you're dirty." She replied.

"You like it." Justin countered, whispering seductively in her ear.  "Admit it."

"Nope." Aubrey giggled though her knees felt a little weak.  Justin tightened his arms around her, giving her a squeeze.  "Are we going to do this or not?" She asked.

"I've been trying to help you all morning." He replied.  "You're the one who keeps distracting me."

Aubrey gasped as she laughed, straightening and putting her hands on her hips.  "Watch it." She threatened, pointing the golf club in her hand at him. 

"Or what?" He asked a teasing glint in his eyes.  "I'm not afraid of you, little girl." 

"You know that movie I mentioned earlier?" She questioned.  "Help me, or you can forget about it."

"Okay, I'm sorry." He apologized quickly, making her laugh--though it was very empowering, knowing that this man desired and wanted her in that way.  But there was more to it than just animal lust.  She could see something in his eyes when he looked at her that let her know he wasn't just waiting for a chance to get her into bed.  He truly cared about her and it made her stand a little taller.

"You're going to bring it back like this." Justin said, putting his arms around her again.  He guided her as she brought the club back then swung it.  "And follow through with it like that." He said.  "You got it."

"Let me see you do it." Aubrey said, leaning against the club.  He wanted to take her golfing tomorrow but she had insisted that before she went out on the course with him and made a complete fool of herself in front of other people he had to give her a private lesson on how to play.

Justin drew another club from the bag standing next to them and got into position in front of her.  Aubrey had to bite back the giggle that wanted to escape as he stuck his butt out and wiggled his hips a few times. 

"Are you paying attention?" He asked. 

"Yep." She replied.  Nope.  She thought.  She was too busy watching him to notice what it was he was doing.  He brought the club back over his right shoulder then swung it around--his body twisting as he followed the movement.  "You want to try it with a ball this time?" He asked.

"Sure." She smiled.  They stayed outside for another hour, Justin patiently teaching her the rules of the game as they took turns hitting golf balls across his huge backyard.  "Are you sure you still want me to play with you for real tomorrow?" She asked with a self-conscience laugh as she missed the ball yet again.

"Yes." He nodded.

"You're crazy." She replied.

"Come on." He said, put his club back into the bag.  He held his hand out for hers.  Aubrey gave it to him thankfully.  "That's enough practicing.  Let's go find something to eat.  I'm starving."  Justin picked up the golf bag, slinging it over his shoulder as Aubrey walked beside him.

"Do you remember that day we met at Red Mango?" She asked as he reached out and took her hand.

"Of course I do." He replied with a smile.  "I remember thinking you were kind of weird." He told her.

"What?" She asked with a confused chuckle.  "Really?"  He nodded.  "Why?" She asked.

"You didn't know anything about me.  It...kind of weirded me out."  He admitted, making Aubrey laughed.  "You were the first girl I met that didn't already know my entire life story.  It felt weird actually having to tell the story myself."  He said.  "Why do you ask?" 

"I was just thinking about it the other day and found it funny how much has changed since then." She replied.  Justin smiled as he let go of her hand, putting his arm around her shoulders as he pulled her closer to his side.  "Can I ask you something?" She asked.

"Ask away." He answered.

"Remember how I told you a while ago that I didn't have any of your albums?" She asked.  He nodded as he dropped his arm from around her and opened the back door, holding it open for her.  He set the golf bag down on the porch.  "Well, I have them now." She told him as she turned and walked backwards into the house.  She wanted to watch his expression.

He looked at her in question.  "And?" He asked casually, though she could see the curiosity burning in his eyes.  He wanted to know what she thought.

"And I just have one question." She answered.

"Just one?" He teased, walking past her into the kitchen.  She watched as he grabbed a couple water bottles from the fridge and handed her one.

"Why do you like to pretend your black?" She asked, trying to keep a straight face.

"What?" He asked with a chuckle.

"Your songs." She said, opening her water bottle as she leaned against the counter.  "Why do you like to sing and pretend like your black?"

"Girl, whatchu talkin' ‘bout?" He asked, twisting the baseball cap on his head to the side and pulling his shorts down further.   

"That's what I'm talking about." She said, laughing.  "Mr. Wanna-be Gangster." Justin began doing a few hip hop dance moves around the kitchen. 

"You got a problem with the way I sing, woman?" He asked. 

Aubrey shook her head as she laughed at him.  There was no denying the man had rhythm.  He sure knew how to move.  "And you sure are cocky when you sing." She continued.  Her stomach quivered as he turned and fixed her with a calculating look.  "You really think all it would take is one song to get me naked?"

"I don't know." He replied, sliding up to her and planting his hands on the counter on either side of her.  "Let's find out." He said, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

Aubrey laughed though a tingle went through her.  "Not tonight." She said with a shake of her head.

"Ah!  You're killin' me here." Justin groaned as he rested his forehead against her shoulder. 

Aubrey laughed again as she put her arms around his neck.  "I'm sorry." She said. 

"It's okay." Justin sighed dramatically then put his lips against her neck.  She shivered slightly as he straightened and looked down at her.  Aubrey kept her arms around him-her fingertips running along the back of his neck.    

"I have another question for you." She said.

"About my singing?" He asked, quirking one brow up. 

"Kind of." She answered. 

"What is it?"

Aubrey just looked at him for a second, wondering whether or not it was a good idea to ask him what she really wanted to know.  It shouldn't bother her but it did.  She should just forget about it, but a nagging voice in the back of her mind wouldn't let her.  She wondered if it was too soon in their relationship to bring this up, but finally she just decided to bite the bullet and ask.  "What happened...between you and Britney?"  Justin let out a heavy sigh as he stepped away from her--her arms falling away from him as she let them come to rest at her sides.  "You don't...have to tell me." She told him, the playful mood between them completely gone now.  "I just...Cry Me A River--"

He blew out a breath as he ran his hands over his short hair.  "It's okay.  I figured it was going to come up sooner or later."  He turned slightly.  "It always does." He muttered under his breath.

~~~~~~

Justin looked over at Aubrey and wished he could postpone this conversation with her.  He'd known this was going to happen--at some point it always came up.  He just hadn't been expecting it so soon.  He wanted to enjoy this beginning stage of their relationship without his past getting in the way.  But how could it not, when his past was so public?  Well...most of it anyway.  He thought.  Though people knew the basics of why he and Britney had broken up years ago, not everyone knew the entire story--not even the girls he'd dated after Britney.  He turned and placed his hands on the countertop-his back to Aubrey--as he closed his eyes and sighed.  It had been almost seven years.  He should be able to talk about it without getting upset but the whole situation was still a sore spot for him.  He knew he just needed to let it go, but he couldn't.  The pain of always wondering "what if" was a constant companion of his and the regret was something he was still learning to live with.  He'd found out the hard way that it was true what they said: you never really got over your first love, and his first love had screwed him over big time leaving a lot of scars in her wake. 

"Yes." He finally said, keeping his back to Aubrey as he answered the question everybody asked him.  "That song is about our break-up.  I wrote that song--and a few others--about her because I was angry and...hurt after what she'd done.  I didn't understand how she could do that to me after everything we'd been through together.  I knew it would cause a big stir if I wrote a song about it and I knew it would help sell the album.  I wanted to show that I could do her one better.  I wanted to have the last word but it was a mean and petty thing to do."  He sighed.  "And it didn't fix anything."

He looked down as Aubrey's arms came around him from behind.  One of her hands rested against his stomach while the other lay over his heart as he felt her lay her head against his back.  "I'm sorry." She said, her arms tightening around him.  "I didn't mean to make you upset or bring back bad memories."

He turned in her arms and she looked up at him, her beautiful eyes conveying her sincere apology.  He lifted his hands and gently cupped her face.  Leaning down he pressed his lips against her forehead then looked down at her.  "Did I love her?" He asked.  "Yes." He nodded.  "Do I wish things could go back to how they were?"  He paused, watching as the uncertainty and vulnerability flashed in Aubrey's eyes at his question.  "No." He shook his head, leaning down and resting his forehead against hers.  He closed his eyes as he breathed her in.  "I am exactly where I want to be right now." He opened his eyes and looked at the woman in front of him.  "Yes, there are other women in my past just like anybody else and, while I'm sure you're going to get a lot of questions from people and end up being compared to them--which I'm sorry about--without them, I wouldn't be here now.  You are the one I'm with and you are the one I want to be with." 

He pressed his lips against hers, kissing her deeply as she wound her arms around his neck.  He bent down, wrapping his arms around her legs and lifted her as he straightened--his lips never leaving hers.  Aubrey didn't seem to notice any of his movements as he turned and sat her down on the counter then moved between her legs.  Her hands ran over his hair as she eagerly matched his passion in a way that drove out all memories of his past heartbreak.  When she pulled back finally--her lungs desperately pulling in the oxygen she needed--Justin put his hands on her hips and pulled her against him as his lips ran along her jaw line and down her neck. 

"What do you say we move this to the other room?" He asked, groaning as she took his earlobe between her lips and he wondered at the temptress she was turning out to be.  Aubrey was sweet and innocent most of the time but--like she had from almost the first day he'd met her--she was constantly surprising him and today was no different.  Her innocent play at seduction was going to prove to be the death of him one of these days.  But oh what a sweet death it would be! 

"I'd say you were a very smart man." His little vixen replied and he chuckled as he pulled back and looked at her. 

"Careful." He said with a smirk as he placed a soft kiss to her lips.  "The way we're going we're gonna find out exactly how long it takes to get you naked."

Aubrey put her head back as she laughed.  "I promised you a make-out session." She said, running her fingers through his short hair as she looked at him--her eyes sparkling happily.  Her tongue darted out and ran over her bottom lip, making his desire for her flair exponentially.  He wondered if she truly appreciated how beautiful and desirable she was.  "Not a roll in the sheets." She finished.

Justin sighed.  "I can dream, can't I?" He asked.

"Keep dreaming, superstar." She replied with a smile as she pressed her lips against his.  "Keep dreaming."

 ~~~~~~

"We need to talk." Aubrey told Justin a few days later as they stood in his kitchen cleaning up dinner Wednesday night.

"About what?" He asked, not sounding a bit concerned.

"About what I'm going to tell people when I go home this weekend." She replied. 

Michael was coming home.  She'd gotten an email from him over the weekend letting her know his troop was being discharged.  An hour later she'd bought the plane ticket to fly home and Monday morning she'd let her manager know she needed a few days off.  The only dark cloud in the whole scenario was the fact that she would be away from Justin for five days.  Thank goodness they lived in the age of technology.  She wasn't sure she'd be able to survive if she couldn't call him whenever she wanted. 

"What do you mean?" Justin asked, bringing her back to reality.

"What do I tell them about us?" She asked leaning back against the counter.

"Tell them you're dating the world's hottest and most eligible bachelor." He replied, puffing out his chest proudly. 

Aubrey laughed.  "I'm serious!" She said.

"So am I." He replied.  She reached over and slapped his chest playfully.  "Hey!" He exclaimed with a laugh.  "Careful--I'm valuable property."  Aubrey laughed more as he grabbed her arm and pulled her towards him--wrapping his arms around her.  "Tell them whatever you want." He said, looking down at her.  "But don't tell too many lies about me." He grinned.  "They might meet me one day and I don't want them to be too disappointed."

Fat chance. Aubrey thought as she put her arms around his waist.  She closed her eyes as she rested her forehead against his jaw--breathing in the familiar scent of his cologne.  As Justin tightened his arms around her Aubrey turned her head, resting her cheek against his shoulder as she just stood--wrapped in his incredibly strong and warm embrace. 

I love you

Her eyes popped open as those three words went through her head and she had to bite her tongue to keep them in.  Her heart began racing and she prayed he wouldn't notice the way her pulse was pounding.  It was too soon...wasn't it?  They'd only been dating for two and a half weeks.  She couldn't possibly know she loved him yet...could she?

"You okay?" Justin asked pulling back slightly.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Aubrey replied quickly, looking up at him as she stepped out of his arms.  He narrowed his eyes slightly as she tucked her hair behind her ears.  She forced a smile, fighting back the fear that had come with her realization.  She hadn't been prepared for the enormity of the feelings she had for this man and they scared her.  He was charming, sweet and funny.  He was talented and genuine.  He had a heart of gold and always managed to make her feel like she was the only woman on the planet who mattered.  He was an incredible kisser and he had no idea that he held her heart in his hands and how--with a single word--he could so easily shatter it.  She wanted to tell him how she felt, but if he said he didn't feel the same way she knew she wouldn't be able to handle it.  So she kept it in--hoping he would say those three little words first.

"Did you decide on a movie?" She asked, bringing herself back to the conversation at hand.

"Yeah." He responded, reaching out and taking her hand.  "Are you sure you're okay?" He asked as he laced his fingers with hers--concern clouding his blue eyes.

"I'm sure." She smiled, reaching up and placing her lips against his cheek.  "But thank you for asking."  He squeezed her hand as he turned, leading her into the other room.       

~~~~~~

"I hate you." Aubrey vowed emphatically as she burrowed her face against Justin's shoulder.  He just laughed as he put his arm around her as they lay, lounging on his couch.  She looked up and glared at him.  "Watch it." She warned, pointing a finger at his mischievous grin.  Brennan raised her head from where she lay on Aubrey's feet and looked at them.

"What?" Justin asked with a chuckle.  "You told me you didn't care what we watched tonight."

"Because I didn't know you were going to pick something like this!" She exclaimed, pointing towards the enormous flat screen taking up most of the wall in front of them.  She cringed and hid her face again as yet one more person was attacked and killed by the zombies chasing after them. 

"You should have told me you didn't like horror movies." Justin replied--the blood and gore going on in front of them not seeming to faze him in the slightest.

"I'm never going to be able to sleep tonight." Aubrey whined, lifting her hands to cover her ears from the screams coming from the screen.  "And it's all your fault." She poked a finger in his chest.

"So don't sleep." He told her, tightening his arm around her again.  "You can just stay here." He placed his lips against her temple.  "I'm sure I can think of a few things we can do that'll keep you awake."

Aubrey lifted her head to look at him in surprise.  "Excuse me?" She asked not quite sure if he was just teasing her like he usually did or if he really meant it this time. 

"You heard me." He said as he lifted the remote resting on the arm of the couch and turned off the movie.  Brennan got off of the couch as Justin shifted beside her.  His eyes met hers and her heart pounded in her chest as they gave her the answer to her question.  He was serious.  He leaned towards her, closing the small distance between them and captured her lips with his.

"Stay with me tonight." He said as he pulled back, his eyes holding her captive.  He lifted one hand as he caressed her cheek with his warm fingers.  Goose bumps enveloped her and a delicious tingle ran down her spine. 

"Justin..." She breathed.  "I don't...I don't know..." She trailed off as his head lowered once more-his sinful mouth roaming down her neck.  Her traitorous body reacted to him though her thoughts were racing and her heart was pounding frantically in her chest.

She knew this was going to happen sooner or later--after all, she was dating Mr. SexyBack himself--but she'd secretly hoped it would happen later rather than sooner.  She had pushed away all thoughts of him asking her to sleep with him out of fear.  She wasn't ready to make a decision about this yet!  Technically she knew she didn't have anything to worry about--there was no doubt in her mind that he knew what he was doing and would take care of her--but she felt almost paralyzed with fear as his lips continued roaming over her skin.  He'd made a few comments over the last couple weeks about how cute and naïve she was about certain things, but she wondered if he knew just how naïve she really was.  When it really came down to it would he want to be with someone as inexperienced as she was?  Someone who'd never done this before?

His hand slipped beneath the hem of her T-shirt and she let out a small gasp as his fingers came in contact with the soft skin of her stomach.  She stiffened at the contact and pulled back from him.  "Justin, stop." She said. 

~~~~~

Justin pulled back--the fear in Aubrey's voice working to douse the fire that had been burning through him seconds before.  "What's the matter?" He asked, sitting up.

"I can't do this." She repeated, shaking her head as they both sat up.  "I'm sorry." She apologized, taking a few deep breaths.

"It's okay." He told her as he placed his hand against her cheek.  "We don't have to do this tonight if you're not ready."  Although the thought of sleeping with her had been a constant companion of his the last couple weeks, he didn't want to push her into something she wasn't ready for. 

"I've never done this before." She told him, the words tumbling from her lips.

"It's okay." He repeated, assuming she was referring to freaking out and feeling hesitant about taking this step in their relationship.  "It's a big step to take.  We can wait."  He pulled her close and pressed his lips against her forehead.

"No." She said, pushing him away.  "I've never...done this...before." She told him--her cheeks warming instantly--her eyes pleading for him to understand what she was saying.  His eyes widened as a light suddenly came on and he pulled back in surprise.  Aubrey groaned and stood--turning her back to him.

Justin sat in stunned silence as the reality of what Aubrey had just told him sunk in.  She's a virgin?! He thought in surprise--though why it surprised him he didn't know.  This was Aubrey he was talking about after all.  The girl had been surprising him from day one but this...he shook his head as the memory of him having a conversation with JC about the possibility of Rachel being a virgin when they'd first started dating came back to him and he grimaced.  At the time he'd found himself grateful that he hadn't been in JC's shoes having to deal with that particular issue in his relationship and now here he was.  He sighed as he stood and put his hands on Aubrey's shoulders. 

"Aubrey." He said gently, turning her to face him.  She kept her eyes focused on the floor between them.  "Look at me." He urged.

"I'm sorry." She said quietly.

"Why are you apologizing?" He asked, lifting her chin with his finger.  Her eyes met his full of humiliation and vulnerability. 

"Because I don't know what I'm doing here and because you deserve someone better than some innocent twenty-two year old who doesn't know what the heck she's doing." She told him.

"Stop." He said firmly.  He hated when she put herself down like that.  "This isn't about me and if anyone is undeserving in this relationship, it's you."  He said.

"Why?" Aubrey asked, looking at him in confusion.

"Because I've...done things in my life that I'm not proud of." A sudden flash of memory from the night of his fashion show came to mind--the same feelings of disgust and self-hatred that he'd felt when he'd woken up in that hotel room filled him again.   "So you've never done this before." He shrugged his shoulders.  "I don't care." He said, the truth of his words confirming themselves to him as he said them.  He didn't care.  "But this isn't about me."  He continued.  "This is about you.  I can wait."  He brought his hand up, cupping her cheek as he smiled softly.  "When you're ready, you'll know when to jump and--if you still want me--I'll be right there to catch you."

Aubrey smiled as she put her arms around him, laying her head against his shoulder.  "Thank you." She said quietly.

Justin wrapped his arms around her--pulling her close as he lowered his head, nuzzling her neck.  He'd meant what he'd told her.  Was he disappointed?  A little.  But he could wait.  She looked up at him and he kissed her, hoping to convey the feelings he was having that he couldn't quite put into words.  Aubrey was everything he'd ever wanted.  She was sweet and funny and-even though he knew she didn't see herself that way--incredibly sexy.  She was the first girl he had dated where he didn't feel like he had to put on a show or act a certain way around them.  From the very beginning they had both just been themselves and he relished that fact.  It had only been three weeks but already he felt more for her than he had for any other girl.  She was real.  She was genuine.  She was perfect for him. 

He just prayed she wouldn't make him wait too long...

Chapter End Notes:
I know I've been kind of lazy about responding to all of your guys' reviews, but I wanted to let you know that I do read them and they make me laugh!  I LOVE knowing what you guys think of this story and my characters.  It keeps me motivated to keep writing :)  Thanks!  You guys are the best!  *tear*


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story