BlueJay: Hey pretty girl!

Aubrey looked up from her Childhood Development textbook as the instant messenger icon popped up onto her computer screen a week later.  She smiled as she read Justin's message.  Pulling one leg up on the chair she was sitting in she typed back.

Freckles: Hi!  How did recording go today?

BlueJay: Ugh!  I forgot how big a pain in the ass JC is in the studio.

Aubrey laughed--picturing the scowl she was sure was on Justin's face as he grumbled about his band mate.  The guys had been in Tennessee all week--and were planning on being there for at least another one--working on their CD.  They had decided, along with Johnny, that the five of them getting together to record in L.A. was going to draw too much attention to the fact that they were getting back together.  They weren't ready to publicly announce the reunion yet, and were still trying to keep everything quiet. 

BlueJay: He's a Nazi.

Freckles: lol...I'm sorry.

BlueJay: It's okay.  He's just a perfectionist.

Freckles: That's a good thing though, right?

BlueJay: Yeah.  Except when it keeps me away from you :)

Aubrey smiled, wishing he were here too. 

Freckles: I miss you, too.

BlueJay: Remind me why I'm here and you're there?

Freckles: You're being kind of whiney tonight...are you okay?

BlueJay: Yes.

Freckles: Did something happen today?

BlueJay: No.

Freckles: *raises eyebrow* 

Freckles: Somehow I'm not convinced...lol...what can I do to make you smile?

Justin remained quiet for a moment and Aubrey laughed out loud when he finally responded.

BlueJay: Talk dirty to me.

Freckles: I'm sorry.  You must have forgotten who you were talking too.  It must be your other girlfriend who does that for you.

BlueJay: No.  I'm talking to the right girl.  Come on, talk dirty to me.

Aubrey stared at her computer screen, her mind blank.  I don't know how to talk dirty!  She thought, lifting her hand to her mouth as she began chewing on her thumbnail in thought.  What in the world do I say...

"Oh, thank goodness!" She exclaimed when she heard a knock at the front door.  After telling Justin that she'd be right back, Aubrey jumped up and went to answer the door, hoping inspiration would hit her by the time she got back to her computer.  "Rachel!" She said in surprise as she opened the door. 

"Hi." Rachel smiled.

"What are you doing here?" Aubrey asked, opening the door and letting the other girl in.  "You're not in Tennessee?"

Rachel looked around her.  "The last time I checked I was in California.  Isn't that where we are right now?" She asked with a teasing grin.

Aubrey rolled her eyes as she laughed.  "I just assumed..."

"Jace told me I wasn't invited." She replied with a pout.

"Really?" Aubrey asked.

"Well...not in so many words, but that's what he meant." Rachel answered.  "And anyway, when he's focused on his music that is all he's focused on.  I wouldn't have really seen him even if I did go out there with him, so I stayed home.  What are you up to tonight?" She asked as she followed Aubrey back into the kitchen.

"Homework." Aubrey replied.  "And talking to Justin." She pointed at her laptop. 

Rachel leaned over and read the last thing Justin had said to her before Aubrey could minimize the conversation window.  She let out a gasp.  "Aubrey Davis!" She exclaimed.

"What?" Aubrey asked, feeling her cheeks warm in embarrassment.

"A little digital get down?" Rachel asked with a teasing glint in her eyes.

"What?" Aubrey asked confused and Rachel sighed heavily.

"I have so much to teach you." Rachel replied under her breath as she shook her head. 

BlueJay: I'm waiting...

"I'm just going to tell him you're here and we can talk later." Aubrey said, beginning to type that message to Justin.

"No!" Rachel exclaimed, pulling the laptop away from her. 

"What are you doing?!" Aubrey replied, trying to take her computer back.  "Give that to me!" She laughed.

"Nope." Rachel shook her head. 

Freckles: What are you wearing?

"Rachel!" Aubrey exclaimed in shock.  "You can't--" 

"Quiet" Rachel told her.  "Watch...and learn." She grinned evilly.

BlueJay: What are you wearing?

Freckles: I asked you first.

"It's all about being coy." Rachel told Aubrey as they waited for Justin's response.

BlueJay: What if I said nothing?

"Oh brother!" Rachel laughed as she rolled her eyes.  "Call him on it." She said, scooting the laptop back over to Aubrey.

"What?" Aubrey asked looking at her like a deer caught in the headlights. 

"Do you really think he's not wearing any clothes right now?" Rachel asked, lifting one brow in disbelief. 

"No." Aubrey shook her head.

"Then call him on it."

Freckles: I'd say you were lying.

BlueJay: And if I said I wasn't?

Freckles: I'd say prove it!

"That's good!" Rachel said with a laugh.  

BlueJay: I would if you were here.

BlueJay: Are you going to tell me what you're wearing or do I just have to imagine it?

Aubrey looked over at Rachel.  "What do I say?" She asked.

"The key with flirting is to say the first thing that comes to mind." Rachel told her.  "Don't think about it too much.  Just have fun." She smiled.

Freckles: What would you imagine?

BlueJay: That's easy.  It's not that hard to imagine you're here with me.  All I have to do is close my eyes and I can see you on my couch like you were that night at my house a few weeks ago.

Aubrey drew her bottom lip between her teeth as a smiled spread across her face at Justin's admission--warmth spreading through her at the memory his words caused. 

BlueJay: Except there's something I add to my imagined image of you.

Freckles: And what's that?

BlueJay: A tattoo.

BlueJay: Just a little one.  On your hip, like we talked about.

"You guys have talked about you getting a tattoo?" Rachel asked in surprise.

"Yes." Aubrey replied, refusing to meet her friend's gaze when she made a noise of interest.

Freckles: You really want me to get that tattoo, don't you?

BlueJay: Oh yeah.

BlueJay: Nothin' sexier ;)

"Now what?" Aubrey asked Rachel.

"Uhh...I have no idea." Rachel replied with a shrug.

"You're no help." Aubrey scowled as she looked back at her computer screen.

"Sorry." Rachel laughed.  She thought for a moment.  "Tell him there are other things that are sexier."

"I can't say that!" Aubrey exclaimed.

"Why not?" Rachel asked.

"Because we haven't done any of that yet!"

"So?" Rachel shrugged.  "Just type it." She pointed at the laptop.

Freckles: I can think of a few things that are sexier.

BlueJay: Except you won't let me do any of them with you.

"See!" Aubrey exclaimed, pointing at the screen.  Rachel laughed.  "I told you!"

BlueJay: I don't think you realize it, but you're slowly killing me.

"Please stop killing him." Rachel said casually.  "The world's not ready to mourn the loss of Mr. SexyBack."  Aubrey laughed. "Put him out of his misery."

"Soon." She said, giving Rachel the answer she'd given Justin a few weeks ago. 

"I don't know how you're able to say no to him." Rachel shook her head in amazement.

"Like this," Aubrey replied.  "No."

"Brat." Rachel laughed, pulling out her cell phone when it vibrated in her pocket.  Aubrey watched as a smile came to her face that could only mean one thing: JC.  Aubrey watched as Rachel became distracted with answering his text, breathing a silent sigh of relief.  As much as she loved Rachel it was becoming increasingly uncomfortable to have her sitting there, looking over her shoulder as she flirted back and forth with Justin.

BlueJay: Don't get me wrong, I love what you do to me but...is there any chance you're going to let me find out what some of those sexier things are pretty soon?

Freckles: Maybe.

BlueJay: Maybe?! 

BlueJay: What the hell does that mean?

Freckles: Don't be mad.  I'm trying.

Justin was non-responsive for a minute and Aubrey was afraid she'd pushed it too far tonight.  I knew this was a bad idea.  She thought.  She glanced over at Rachel, who had gotten up and was standing over by the counter still texting JC--a goofy grin on her face.

BlueJay: I know you are.  I'm sorry.  I just...

BlueJay: At the risk of sounding all sappy and romantic: I love you and I want to share that with you. 

Aubrey sat back in her chair, feeling guilty.  She knew he was having a hard time being patient and she felt bad for leading him on with this conversation tonight--even though it had been his idea in the first place.

"Rach?" She turned to look at her friend, hoping she'd have some words of advice as to what she should say to Justin.

"Huh?" Rachel looked up briefly but her focus was against drawn down as she got another text.  She giggled as she read whatever JC had sent her.  "I gotta go." She said, looking up at Aubrey. 

"But..." Aubrey trailed off, looking back and forth between Rachel and her computer screen.

"Sorry." Rachel replied as she quickly made her way to the front door.  "I'll call you tomorrow.  Bye!"

Aubrey sat, staring blankly at the front door where Rachel had just disappeared.  I don't...she trailed off as she received another message from Justin.

BlueJay: You still there?

Freckles:  This is killing me, too.

BlueJay: Why are we both suffering when there's something we can do about it?  It's easy.  I say, "Are you ready?" And you say, "Yes."

BlueJay: Are you ready?

Aubrey's fingers hesitated over her keyboard.

Freckles: No.

BlueJay: What are you afraid of?  Is it me?  Is it something I've said or done?

Freckles: It's not you.  It's me.

BlueJay: Bullshit! 

BlueJay: That's the answer girls give when they don't want to have to say the truth.  Tell me the truth Aubrey.  We've been through too much to lie to each other now.

Aubrey tapped her fingers against the table as she chewed on her bottom lip--debating on if she should tell him her reasons for saying no.  What the heck?  She finally thought with a sigh and began typing.  Something about the anonymity of cyberspace gave her the confidence she lacked in real life to tell him her true feelings.

Freckles: I'm afraid.

Freckles: I'm afraid of disappointing you.  I'm afraid of looking in your eyes and knowing you wish I were I like any of the other women you've been with after its all said and done. 

Freckles: I'm afraid of giving in and sharing that part of myself with you only to have it ruin what we have together.  I can't imagine my life without you anymore and I'm terrified of losing you over this.

Aubrey swiped at the stray tear that had escaped as she'd typed and sat, waiting for his response.  Her heart beat painfully in her chest as the seconds ticked by and she began regretting what she'd just told him.  She stared at the silent screen, willing the icon to pop up that indicated he was typing a response, but nothing happened.  I shouldn't have told him.  She thought shaking her head.  Her stomach churned and she felt sick.  I knew it.  I knew telling him was a bad idea...

She trailed off as her phone suddenly began vibrating on the table next to her laptop.  Aubrey's heart leapt in her throat and she stared at it for a second before reaching out with a trembling hand.  She knew who it was before she read his name on her screen and she swallowed nervously as she opened the phone and pressed it against her ear.

"First of all," Justin said before she could even say hello.  "I need to tell you that I'm sorry if I have ever given you the impression that I was comparing you to anyone else.  If I've done so it was unknowingly and I apologize.  Secondly," he continued.  "I don't know how to convince you other than to just tell you that you are the only woman I am ever thinking about--regardless of whether you're sitting right next to me or there are almost two thousand miles separating us."  He paused.  "I am so in love with you, Aubrey, it drives me crazy.  I can't close my eyes at night without seeing your face.  I can't get through the day without thinking of you about a million times--wondering what you're doing or how you would react in a given situation.  I want to call you about a hundred different times a day--sometimes just so I can hear your voice--and it kills me that you don't believe me when I tell you that I love you."

Aubrey let out a sob as he finished.  She could hear the emotion in his voice, which only prompted more tears on her part and she wished he were there to wrap his arms around her.  She needed the comfort and reassurance his hug would give her.  She hated that she still harbored some doubt after what he'd just told her, but she had to know.  She had to be sure.  Wiping at the tears that were falling over her cheeks she took a deep, steadying breath. 

"Why me?" She asked her voice thick with emotion.  She put a hand over her eyes as her tears started again.  "Why?  Out of all the women around the world who would willingly be with you, why have you chosen me?  I don't understand."

Justin was quiet for a moment then let out a whispered curse.  "Damn it!  I wish I were there right now and I'd show you why!"  He took a deep breath.  "You are unlike any girl I've ever met, Aubrey.  To be quote a movie I saw a few years ago, ‘You are everything I never knew I always wanted.'" He paused.  "I never know what surprises you're going to pull on me and I love not knowing what to expect whenever I'm with you.  I can't wait to see what new little thing I'm going to learn about you each time we're together.  You're beautiful and sexy and you can turn me on with just a look.  You've never been afraid to be yourself around me and you're one of the few people I know that I can truly be myself around and I know that you'll still love me no matter what-dorky habits and all." 

Justin let out a heavy sigh and Aubrey pictured him dropping down onto a couch or a chair as he continued.  "I know I was a fool and I didn't see you for what you were right away, but I see it now.  I fought against them at first, but I...I couldn't hide from my feelings for you for long.  They were powerful and undeniable and there from almost the first moment I met you.  I love you, Aubrey Janae," he vowed--the power and emotion behind his words causing more silent tears to slip down her cheeks.  "More than anything in this world and I wish-with all my heart-that you would believe me."

They were both quiet for a moment.  There were so many thoughts and emotions swirling within her that Aubrey had no idea which one to focus on first.

"Please believe me."  Justin pled quietly as she remained speechless.  "I love you.  If I were there..." He trailed off.

"What?" She asked, finally speaking.  "If you were here, what?"

"For starters, I wouldn't let you tell me ‘no' again." He replied emphatically, making Aubrey's stomach quiver.  "I'd show you that you have nothing to be afraid of."  His voice lowered and Aubrey closed her eyes, leaning her head back against the chair she was sitting in.  "And I'd love that gorgeous body of yours until you believe everything I just told you and know without a shadow of a doubt that you are the only woman I want and need."

Aubrey found it hard to breathe at the images his seductive words provoked.  "When are you coming home?" She asked breathlessly, blurting out the first thing that came to mind without thinking.  Justin chuckled softly, his laugh low and sexy in her ear causing her to shiver.  She could see the seductive grin she knew was on his handsome face and she wished she could kiss his perfect mouth--taste the honesty of his words on his lips.

"Next Wednesday." He answered.  She heard a commotion in the background on his end and he groaned.

"Do you need to go?" She asked, guessing at the reason behind his frustration.

"Yes.  Damn it!" He swore.

"It's okay." She assured him, nodding though he couldn't see her.  "I'm okay."

"Are you sure?" He asked.  "Tell me the truth cuz I can tell the guys--"

"I'm okay." Aubrey repeated.  "I promise."

Justin was quiet for a moment then, "I want you to do something for me." He said. 

"Okay."

"If you don't have it, I want you to buy the Celebrity album we did then I want you to listen to ‘Something Like You.'  Can you do that?"  He asked.

"I think I can manage that." Aubrey smiled, trying to remember if she'd heard the song he was referring to before.  Rachel had given her all those CD's for her birthday but, after the initial listen through of them, she hadn't really listened to them again. 

"That song is you and me."  He told her.  "Will you listen to it for me?"

"Yes." She promised.

"I gotta go." He replied, the conflict in his voice evident over the phone.  He didn't want to have to say good-bye anymore than she did.

"Justin?" Aubrey asked before he left.

"Yeah?"

"I love you." She told him.

"I love you." He replied. 

They said their good-byes and Aubrey ended the call.  Wiping the remaining moisture from her face she pushed her chair back and stood.  After taking a deep breath, she walked down the hall to her bedroom in search of the song she had promised to listen to. 

I should have given in to Rachel's pushing a long time ago. 

~~~~~~

A week later...

Aubrey pushed the hair out of her eyes as she stood outside and turned the key in the lock.  She almost dropped the bags and CD player in her hands as she let herself into Justin's house Wednesday afternoon.  She had to slip in quickly before Buckley and Brennan could escape and she laughed as the boxers greeted her excitedly.

"Hi guys." She said kicking the door shut behind her then made her way towards the kitchen, trying not to trip over the dogs.  Justin had asked her before he left if she would take care of Buckley and Brennan and she'd come over every day to play with and feed them.  She usually took them out for a walk.  However, today they'd have to just be okay with getting fed and then being put out in the backyard.  She had plans that needed to be set in motion and she was running out of time.  

She'd taken off work an hour early but she was afraid she wasn't going to get everything done before Justin got home.  Aubrey set the bags she was carrying down on the counter and turned to look at the boxers, her hands on her hips.  "You guys hungry?" She asked.  Brennan barked in answer and Aubrey laughed.  "Alright, come on." She said, walking into the laundry room.  After filling their food dishes and giving them some clean water she went back into the kitchen.  Pulling her hair up in a loose ponytail she tugged at the vest she was wearing and began unpacking the groceries she'd just bought.  Her cell phone vibrated in her pocket and she pulled it out.

I've got a surprise for you when I get home.

Aubrey smiled at Justin's text.  "I've got a surprise for you." She replied with a grin as she typed a quick response.

And when will that be?

The dogs came back into the kitchen then and Aubrey set her phone down on the counter as she led them towards the back door.  Once they were outside and out from being under her feet while she cooked, she picked her phone back up.

Probably about an hour.

She looked at the clock on the wall and smiled.  Perfect. She thought.

I can't wait.  I miss you.

Slipping her phone back in her pocket, Aubrey turned the oven on to preheat and began opening cupboard doors--searching for a mixing bowl.  Her stomach fluttered nervously when she let herself think too hard about what she was planning on doing.  Taking a deep breath she leaned over and plugged in the CD player she'd brought.  Turning it up she forced herself to concentrate on the music playing and the pizza dough she was making.  She eyed the bottle of wine she'd bought at the store.  She wasn't really a big drinker, but knew Justin would appreciate having the wine with dinner.  Grabbing a glass from the cupboard she uncorked the bottle and poured a little of the liquid into it and took a sip. 

Just a little.  She thought taking another sip before she got to work, hoping the alcohol would calm her nerves.

~~~~~~

Justin dropped his bags to the floor as he walked into his house less than an hour after texting Aubrey.  Several things registered at the same time. 

Number one: his dogs were missing.  Every time he came home Buckley and Brennan all but mauled him but they were nowhere in sight

Number two: the house smelled amazing!  A mouth watering aroma filled the air and his stomach rumbled, suddenly reminding him it had been far too long since he'd last eaten.

Number three: someone was singing enthusiastically--albeit a bit off key--in the kitchen.  The fact that it was a woman singing, and that it was Carrie Underwood she was singing along to, told him who the mystery singer was.

Aubrey.

Justin smiled as he went in search of her.  He'd been gone for two weeks and, ever since their talk last Tuesday, all he had wanted to do was hold her in his arms and kiss her beautiful mouth.  He needed to look into her eyes and see for himself whether or not she finally believed what he'd told her.  He stopped as he rounded the corner and stood--mesmerized--as Aubrey continued to sing and dance along to the CD playing, completely oblivious to his appreciative stare.

It amazed him how much his memory paled in comparison to her actual beauty.  The black vest she was wearing over her white shirt outlined her perfect curves and he watched as her jean-clad hips moved back and forth enticingly.  She kept her back to him as she began belting out the second verse to the song.

We left the club right around three o'clock in the morning.

His Pinto, sitting there in the parking lot, well it should have been a warning.

I had no clue what I was getting into, so I blame it on the Cuervo.

Oh, were did my manners go?

And I don't even know his last name.

Oh, my mama would be so ashamed.

It started out, "Hey cutie, where ya from?"

And it turned into, "Oh, no.  What have I done?"

And I don't even know his last name.

Finally, he couldn't wait any longer and stepped up behind her, snaking one arm around her waist he placed a hand on her stomach and drew her back against him as he kissed her neck.  "Hey cutie, where ya from?" He whispered repeating the words she'd just sung and laughed at her startled gasp.

Aubrey turned quickly in his arms, her eyes lighting at the sight of him.  "Justin!" She exclaimed, a huge smile spreading across her face.  She threw her arms around his neck and kissed him enthusiastically, causing him to have to take a small step backwards to brace himself.  To say he'd been unprepared for the energy of her reaction was an understatement, but his surprise only lasted a moment before he was quickly taking advantage of the situation.  He wrapped his arms around her waist as he tilted his head to the side, deepening their kiss and smiled against her lips as he heard her quiet moan.  Aubrey's fingers curled around his neck and a shudder ran down his spine.

Needing to gain some leverage he took a few steps forward.  Pushing Aubrey back against the wall, their mouths continued to move against each other--their tongues meeting again and again.  It was like he had been lost in the desert and her kiss was the water he'd been in desperate need of.  He couldn't get enough of her. 

After a few more impassioned moments, he pulled back.  His chest rising and falling deeply as her eyes opened and connected with his.

"Hi." He said his lips lifting in a smile as he kissed her once more.

"Hi." Aubrey giggled, her hands running down his chest and stomach and around his waist--tugging him closer.  Her eyes sparkled.

"Did you miss me?" He asked lifting his hands as he cupped her face. 

"Nope." Aubrey shook her head slowly, fighting to keep a straight face.  Justin narrowed his eyes as he pressed his weight against her fully.  She laughed as she tightened her arms around him.  "Of course I missed you." She whispered, kissing the corner of his jaw.  "But the better question is, did you miss me?" She asked looking up at him through her lashes.

"Maybe..." He drawled, watching her closely.  She drew her bottom lip between her teeth and he felt his desire flare as she slipped her hands beneath the hem of his T-shirt. 

"I really missed you." She told him quietly, her lips brushing along his jaw.  "I've been waiting for you."

"Oh yeah?" He asked.

"Mmm-hmm." She nodded, her hands becoming bolder as they roamed over his skin.

Justin swallowed.  "What have you been doing while you were waiting?" He inquired, trying to force his mind elsewhere though his body refused to follow suit.  He found himself beginning to wonder what it would feel like to have her warm hands on other parts of his body.

"Cooking." She whispered as she placed her lips against his ear.  Justin leaned into her more, his mouth suddenly going dry.  He tried not to let it, but hope began flaring in his chest.  Maybe their talk last week had removed the last barrier between them.  Was it possible she was finally ready to take the next step?  Was she finally going to let him love her the way he'd been wanting to for so long?

"Cooking what?" He breathed a groan escaping as she took his earlobe between her teeth.  Damn it, she knew just what to do to him!  He couldn't control the shiver that ran down his spine.

"Pizza." She told him.  Justin opened his eyes finally taking in the state of his kitchen.  He'd been too preoccupied before watching her to notice the dishes in the sink and the flour all over the counter.  He looked back down at Aubrey.  It was a wonder she wasn't covered in flour herself. 

"You know the way to my heart." He grinned.  Aubrey smiled, an evil glint in her eyes as her hands lifted the hem of his shirt higher and she slid down the wall suddenly.  Justin let out a curse and he had to brace himself against the wall as his knees about gave out when she pressed her lips against his stomach.    

"Damn it, woman!" He cursed, his chest rising and falling heavily as Aubrey let out a sultry laugh.  What a way to come home...

"Who are you and what have you done with my sweet, innocent little Aubrey?" He mused and Aubrey giggled again.  He closed his eyes as he swallowed, trying to control the overwhelming urge to pick her up, throw her over his shoulder, haul her upstairs, and have his way with her.  But he couldn't!  He was suddenly reminded of the "surprise" he'd texted her about an hour ago and his eyes popped open. 

Damn it!  Why?  He questioned, his eyes lifting heavenward.  Why now?  Aubrey seemed to be leading him down the path he'd wanted to travel with her for the last few weeks and he cursed fate.  It seemed the universe was against them ever making it to the next level.

He pulled back from her.  "Aubrey," he breathed.  "Aubrey, we can't--" His eyes suddenly caught sight of a half empty bottle on the counter.  "Are you..." He looked back at her--a light suddenly went on inside and he narrowed his eyes as he looked down at her.  As much as he loved it when she was confident in her affections towards him, Aubrey was usually more reserved when she initiated anything between them. 

Until now.    

"How much have you had to drink?" He asked pulling her up to stand once more in front of him.  He searched her eyes.  While he wasn't complaining about her sudden lack of inhibition, he didn't want her drunk when she finally allowed him to love her.  He wanted to make sure she remembered every detail of the experience.

She smiled.  "Just a little bit." She replied, holding up one hand--her thumb and forefinger close together.  "Why?" She asked placing her hand against his chest and running it up his shirt--her fingers sliding around his neck again.

He stepped back from her, taking her hands in his and sighed as he heard the front door suddenly open and close.  Just in time. He thought.  He had a feeling this situation was going to be awkward enough without them being found in the middle of an intimate moment.

"Justin?" A feminine voice called out.  Aubrey turned towards the sound of the intrusion then back at him with wide eyes.

"Who...?" She asked her breathing picking up speed.

"Do you remember that surprise I told you about earlier?" Justin asked.  Aubrey pulled her hands from his and pushed him away as an older woman walked into the kitchen. 

"Hello!" The woman smiled warmly as she saw Aubrey.  "You must be Aubrey."

Aubrey turned to look at Justin.  "Surprise?" He shrugged, feeling a bit sheepish.

"I'm Lynn." Justin's mother said, reaching her hand out towards Aubrey.  "It's nice to finally meet you."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story