Three months later...

Aubrey was startled awake as something large and heavy suddenly landed on top of her and she let out a gasp.  Struggling to get her arms free from the blankets wrapped around her, she lifted the sleep mask she was wearing and looked around her room.  A familiar pair of blue eyes sparkled above her. 

"Justin." She groaned as she collapsed back against her pillow.  "What..."

"Good morning, pretty girl." Justin replied, entirely too cheerful for how early it was. 

Aubrey groaned again as she returned the mask to its place over her eyes and attempted to turn away from him--pulling the blankets around her and over her head.

"Uh-uh." Justin said and she felt the bed move as he got up--the covers suddenly disappearing as he pulled them back. 

"Hey!" Aubrey exclaimed, lifting the mask again and glaring at him.  Justin just grinned at her from where he stood next to the bed.  "It's early." She whined.  "And it's cold!" She pouted.

"Come on, you big baby!" He laughed.  Reaching down and picking her up--blankets and all--he threw her over his shoulder.  "It's Christmas!" He reminded her.  "We have to go see if Santa came!"

Aubrey couldn't help laughing as he bounced her while he walked down the stairs of her parent's house.  They had arrived in Virginia yesterday morning--Aubrey finally introducing Justin to her parents.  Even though Justin had spoken to her mom and dad on the phone a few times over the last couple months, she had been nervous about what their reactions to finally meeting him were going to be.  Luckily, everything had gone off without a hitch.  Justin had been his normal charming self and had soon won over her mother completely by volunteering to help clean up dinner last night and by praising her cooking and pie making skills.  Her father was still a bit reserved about the relationship between his daughter and "some Hollywood, pretty boy," as he said, but Aubrey was certain that with time he would come to accept Justin in her life as easily as her mother had.  Even Michael had welcomed Justin into the family without hesitation and Aubrey smiled as she recalled the way the two of them had hit it off so easily once they had started talking last night.  Justin fit right in as if he'd always been there.

When he finally put her down--depositing her on the couch in her parent's Family Room--Aubrey pushed the hair from her face as she drew the blankets around her.  Justin dropped down beside her on the couch, an infectious grin on his face as he leaned towards her.  Aubrey reached her hand out--placing her palm against the light scruff on his cheek as she readily accepted his kiss.    

"Merry Christmas." He said when she pulled back a moment later to breathe. 

Aubrey smiled.  "Merry Christmas." She replied, pulling the blankets more firmly around her as she turned and snuggled against him.  Resting her head on his shoulder she closed her eyes, soaking in the peaceful quiet of just being with him. 

The last three months had been a whirlwind of almost constant commotion.  The guys had finally released their long anticipated reunion CD last month and had been met with surprising success.  They had all been a little anxious about what the reception would be like but it was obvious that their fan--base was still very much in tact and very committed to helping them reach number one on the charts again.  Granted they weren't as huge as they had once been, but it was more than enough to schedule a nation--wide tour starting in a few months. 

In the three months since the guys had announced they were getting back together, the time she and Justin had to spend together had all but disappeared as he was committed to talk show after talk show and promotional radio interviews at all hours of the day.   How he'd found the time to come home with her this weekend and spend Christmas with her family she wasn't sure, but she was grateful and was going to take every second they had together and make the most of it.

She had almost fallen back to sleep when she felt Justin reach for her hand.  Aubrey lifted her head and looked at him, her brows furrowing slightly in curiosity at the intense expression on his face.  "Justin?" She asked.  He turned to look at her--the happy and playful sparkle from moments earlier kissing from his eyes.  "What's the matter?"

"Can I ask you something?" He asked quietly. 

"Of course." Aubrey smiled turning her hand in his and lacing their fingers together.  Justin shifted on the couch and pulled his hand from hers.  Aubrey sat up and watched him curiously as he stood and walked over to the large Christmas tree standing in the corner of the room.  She was quiet, trying to figure out what he was doing as he squatted down, picking up a small box wrapped in blue paper from beneath the evergreen.  Justin straightened but kept his back to her for a moment then turned, his blue eyes meeting hers.  Aubrey smiled as he walked back to her. 

"This is for you." He said hesitantly, holding the gift out to her.  She took it--her eyes narrowing at the nervousness and uncertainty she heard in his voice. 

"Thank you." She said.  "What is it?"

"That's the point of opening it." Justin replied.  "To find out."

"Okay." Aubrey laughed quietly as she began unwrapping the gift. 

Her breath caught as she recognized the black velvet ring box she was holding for what it was and her eyes flew up to his.  Justin knelt down in front of her and Aubrey suddenly forgot how to breathe as he reached out and took the box from her. 

He cleared his throat nervously.  "Uh...about a year ago," he began quietly, his eyes focused on the ring box in his hand.  "I decided to go to the park with my dogs one Sunday morning."  Aubrey's heart began pounding and she lifted a hand to her chest as she watched him, wide-eyed.  "I had just broken up with my long time girlfriend and even though it was a mutual decision and something I knew needed to be done I was feeling sorry for myself.  When I was there I met this girl," He said, his eyes finally lifting and connecting with hers.  "She had freckles across her nose and beautiful hazel eyes and the most amazing smile I'd ever seen.  I didn't know her name and I didn't know in that moment how a few months later we would become best friends and how she would change my life forever." 

Aubrey gasped as he opened the ring box, revealing the most exquisite diamond solitaire ring she'd ever seen.  He pulled the ring from its place and took her left hand in his.  Aubrey felt the tears start to fall but she was helpless to stop them.  She blinked furiously as her vision of him began to blur.

"We've been through a lot together this last year, Aubrey." He continued and she nodded, using her free and to wipe the tears from her face.  "You were there for me--no questions asked--when everything fell apart this last summer." He said his voice cracking-which only made Aubrey's tears fall more freely.  Justin cleared his throat and shifted slightly.  "And you've continued to stand by me through all the insanity going on right now with the group getting back together.  I know I'm not the easiest person to love sometimes.  I know I do and say things that get on your nerves and I know that my job makes our relationship a lot harder than it normally would be but I want you to know how much I love you and how much I admire and adore you.  You are my everything, Aubrey Janae." He said, finally sliding the ring on her finger.

Aubrey sat, completely dumbfounded and speechless, looking at the ring he'd placed on her finger--convinced she must still be asleep and dreaming--as silent tears continued to fall down her cheeks.  Justin leaned up on his knees and placed his hands on either side of her on the couch.  Aubrey looked up, meeting his eyes. 

"You're my Warrior Princess and I can't handle the thought of living my life without you." He said, lifting one hand as he gently smudged away her tears.  "I love you, Aubrey.  I need you.  I want you." He paused.  "Will you marry me?" He whispered his eyes boring into hers.    

"Yes." Aubrey replied with a sob and Justin breathed a sigh of relief as he gathered her in his arms.  She pressed her lips against his as she wound her arms around his neck--her tears continuing to fall--and Justin kissed her warmly.  The exchange began to heat up between them until a door closed loudly upstairs and they broke apart, the noise reminding them they weren't alone in the house.  Justin moved and sat back on the couch and Aubrey snuggled against him, a sigh of contentment escaping as she looked at the engagement ring on her finger.  Justin picked up her hand in his and lifted it slightly as he examined the ring where it lay against her skin. 

"Do you like it?" He asked.  "‘Cuz if you don't we can exchange it--"

"I love it!" Aubrey exclaimed.  "It's perfect."  She looked at the simple platinum band.  "Although," She pulled back and looked at him.  "It makes the golf shoes I got you seem kind of ridiculous now."

He laughed as he put his arms around her and drew her back against him, shaking his head.  "Your answer a minute ago was all the gift I needed." He told her as he pressed his lips to her temple then nuzzled her ear with his nose.

Aubrey chuckled as a shiver skirted down her spine.  "You sure are easy to please." She teased and he laughed again.

"Were you surprised?" He asked.

"Completely." She replied. 

"Good." He replied sounding proud of himself and Aubrey looked over her shoulder at him--laughing at the smug look on his handsome face.  "I finally got back at you." He winked.

"What do you mean?" Aubrey asked with a confused smile.

"You surprise me every damn day." He explained.  "And I wanted, just once," he held up a finger, "To really surprise you."

Aubrey smiled.  "Mission accomplished." She told him and pressed her lips to his.  "Mission accomplished."   

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks you guys for all the reviews and support!  I can't believe this ride is over!!  But don't worry, I've got a few ideas brewing in regards to these characters...there are a few loose ends I need to tie up, so stay tuned!  :)

Completed
azchickadee is the author of 14 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 28 members. Members who liked Something Like You also liked 506 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Crazy Love. The previous story in the series is Love Song. The next story in the series is The Space Between.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story