March

"Do you have a boyfriend?" Rachel asked Aubrey one Friday night as the girls were watching a movie at Rachel's house.  Aubrey, who was in the kitchen getting a refill on her drink in the kitchen, responded.

"Nope."

"Why not?" Rachel asked.

Aubrey blew out a breath.  "Why not?" She whispered to herself. Why not?  "That is the million dollar question." She said as she put a couple ice cubes in her cup and opened a bottle of the crème soda Rachel had in the fridge.  "If you can figure that out my mother would like to know the answer." She said with a chuckle as she filled her glass then threw the bottle in the trash. 

"I'd have thought guys would be crawling all over you." Rachel said from the front room and Aubrey chuckled to herself. 

"You and me both." She said. 

"What's their problem?" Rachel asked.

"Your guess is as good as mine." Aubrey said, turning to head back into the front room.  However she was unprepared to find someone in her way and stepped back quickly as she literally ran into him.  She gasped as the soda from her glass sloshed out soaking the front of her shirt.  "Dang it!" She exclaimed holding her arms out to the side as she looked down at herself.

~~~~~ 

"Are you alright?"  Justin asked, his arms out--hands wrapped around the forearms of the girl who'd almost run into him.

"Yes." She chuckled, looking down at the soda that had spilled down the front of her shirt. "I'm...fine..." She trailed off as her eyes met his and he looked at her, his lips turning up in a smile as he instantly recognized her.  Those same hazel eyes and freckles, that same genuinely warm smile...it was the girl from the park he'd never introduced himself too.  He watched as her cheeks reddened slightly and knew the instant she recognized who he was.  The sound of the glass in her hand hitting the floor and shattering seemed to snap her from her daze and she stepped back from him abruptly.

"Are you okay in there?" Rachel asked, her voice coming from the other room.  Justin turned to look in that direction, then back at the girl.  How does Rachel know Park Girl? He wondered, the fact that he had run into this girl again at JC's house confusing him.  Of all the places to run into her again and of all the people for Rachel to be friends with it was the girl his dogs had almost mauled a few months ago?  Talk about coincidence.  He mused.

"Yes." Park Girl said answering Rachel as she turned to the counter in search of something to held clean up the mess she'd just made.   Justin, feeling like he should help, began opening and closing a few of the cupboards and drawers closest to him, searching for where the dishtowels were kept.  The napkins the girl had grabbed were soon soaked though and she stood, holding one hand under the dripping mess as Rachel came into the kitchen. 

"Just put it in the sink." Rachel said, trying not to laugh as she nudged Justin out of the way and opened a drawer.  Pulling out a few dishtowels she handed one to him and one to Aubrey then helped clean up the floor giggling to herself.   Justin squatted down and began picking up the pieces of glass from the floor.

"It's not funny." He heard the girl mutter under her breath to Rachel.

"Yes it is!" Rachel said sitting down on the floor and leaning back against the counter as she continued to giggle.  Park Girl stood and rinsed out the towel she'd been using to mop up the floor.

"Dude!  What'd you do?" JC said, coming into the kitchen and accusing Justin teasingly when he saw everyone cleaning the floor.

"Nothing." Justin shook his head as he stood and held out his arms.  "It wasn't me."

"Yeah, right." JC chuckled as he stepped around him.

"Of course it was you." Rachel informed him, accepting JC's outstretched hands as he pulled her to her feet.  "If you weren't Mr. SexyBack, able to send girls into a tizzy with just a smile..." She began giggling again as she leaned against JC.

"No, it was me." Park Girl said standing and wringing out her dishtowel in the sink once more and rolling her eyes.  "I didn't see him standing there and ran into him.  I'm sorry."  She offered in apology to Justin.

"It's okay." He replied with a shrug and smile.  "No harm done."

"Hey, Aubrey." JC said as she bent down and began picking up the brownies on the floor.  "How are you?" He asked with a smile.

Aubrey.  Justin thought, finally discovering his mystery girl's name.

"Oh, just great." She replied dryly.  Justin squatted down again and reached out to pick up the remaining pieces of glass on the floor.  His fingers brushed hers and their eyes connected.  He smiled and helped her stand once the mess had been cleaned up.  Aubrey took a deep breath and, wiping her hands on a dry towel, held her hand out to him.  "Why don't we try that again?" She said with a smile.  "I'm Aubrey."

"Justin." He said with a smile of his own as he took her hand and looked into her eyes, wondering if she recognized him from that morning a few months ago. 

"It's nice to meet you." Aubrey replied, no hint of recognition in her eyes.

"You too." Justin offered.  He stood looking at her for a moment and was about to inquire as to whether or not it had really been her that day in the park when JC spoke up.

"Come on." He said to Justin, snapping him from his thoughts.  Justin released Aubrey's hand and turned, leaving the room as JC let Rachel know they were going to be downstairs working in the studio.  He still couldn't believe the coincidence.  What were the chances he'd run into Aubrey again?  And not only that, but that she'd end up being friends with his friend's girlfriend? 

"You alright, man?" JC asked as they sat down at the soundboard in the studio.

"Yeah." Justin shook his head, clearing his thoughts.  "What track do you want to work on?"

~~~~~

"Come on." Rachel said as JC and Justin left and linked her arm with Aubrey's.  "Let's go find you a dry shirt."  Aubrey follower her upstairs and into what she assumed was the bedroom Rachel shared with JC.  "You seriously don't have a guy in your life?  There's no one you've dated recently?"

Aubrey shook her head.  "The last date I had was with this guy from back home before I left."

Rachel looked at her excitedly as she handed Aubrey a clean shirt.  "What's his name?" She asked curiously.

Aubrey sighed.  "Andrew." She replied.  "Andrew Johnson."

"How long ago was the date?"

"Three years ago." Aubrey replied.  "He's...he's a friend of my brother's.  We've known each other for about six years."

"Do you talk to him at all?" Rachel inquired.

"No." Aubrey shook her head.  "He's been over in Iraq for the past year and a half."

"Oh." Rachel replied.  "Well, what about when he gets home?"

Aubrey laughed.  "You're as bad as my brother!" She exclaimed.  "Michael just sent me an email saying Andrew was coming home next month and was going to be stationed down in San Diego."

"Hey." Rachel nudged her, wiggling her eyebrows excitedly.

"Nothing's going to happen." Aubrey insisted.  "Besides, I'm okay with being single for the time being."

"You never know what could happen." Rachel replied as they girls walked out of the bedroom and headed back downstairs to resume their movie.  "Life has a funny way of happening while you're making other plans.  Don't say no to an opportunity that hasn't even happened yet."

"I'll keep that in mind." Aubrey said as she sat down on the couch.  "But nothing's going to happen."

~~~~~~

"It's Aubrey, right?"

Aubrey turned around in surprise as a guy behind here addressed her.  "Yeah..." She said, trailing off when she recognized who it was.  He grinned.

"Hello again." Justin said, his blue eyes friendly.

"Hi." Aubrey smiled, flattered that he remembered who she was.  It had been a couple weeks since they'd had their run-in in Rachel and JC's kitchen.  She felt her cheeks warm slightly in embarrassment as she thought of the last time they'd met.  Justin chuckled as if he could read her mind and Aubrey turned her attention back to the menu board at Red Mango, trying to decide what to try.

"What's your favorite?" Justin asked.

"Um, I've actually never been here before." Aubrey told him--turning to look at him again.

"Oh."

"Have you been here before?" She asked.

"Yeah." He nodded as he turned to look at her.  "I usually get the original with strawberries and chocolate chips and sometimes granola," he grinned.  "When I'm feeling daring."

Aubrey chuckled.  "That sounds good."

Justin nodded and stepped up to the counter.  Before she knew what he was doing he ordered two originals with strawberries and chocolate chips.  Aubrey was surprised as he grabbed a couple napkins from the dispenser on the counter after paying and turned--handing her one.

"Come on." He said taking a few steps down the counter to where they would pick up their order.

"You didn't have to do that." Aubrey said, pulling her wallet from her purse.  "Here." She said holding out some cash to him.

"Don't worry about it." He smiled.

"Thank you." She offered sincerely.

"So tell me." He said as they waited.  "What made you finally decide to jump on the frozen yogurt band wagon?"

Aubrey chuckled as she shrugged her shoulder. "I don't know." She answered.  "I was in the neighborhood doing some shopping and decided to give it a try."  The kid behind the counter handed Justin both of the yogurts he'd ordered and Aubrey smiled as he handed her one.  She expected him to tell her goodbye and leave, so she was surprised when he looked around the shop and, seeing an empty table in the back, began walking towards it.

"Come on." He said to her.  "Let's go sit down."

"Okay." Aubrey replied following him.  A giddy sense nervousness filling her not because  Justin Timberlake wanted to spend time with her but because he was a guy showing some interest in her.  Since moving to California, Aubrey had been struggling with the one thing that had plagued her her entire life--acceptance.  She had a hard time making friends, though she tried hard to be cheerful and friendly.  The truth was she was more comfortable being with herself or her family and had a hard time breaking out of that comfort zone.  It was difficult for her to open up and trust other people; to let them in.  She had learned the hard way--growing up the way she had--that there was never any guarantees in life.  It was hard making friends when you didn't know how long you were staying in any given place. 

Justin smiled at her as she sat down across the small table from him.  She took a bite of her yogurt.  "So?" He asked, clearly anxious for her reaction.

"It's good." She smiled, taking another bite.

"Good." He smiled at her.

Aubrey smiled back at him as he put his arm up on the table and her eyes were drawn to a large red welt on his upper arm.  "What did you do?" She asked out of curiosity before her sense of propriety could stop her. 

"Huh?" Justin asked, looking down.  "Oh." He said.  "Some buddies and I were paint balling this weekend.  This was my fatal wound." He grinned.

"People still do that?" Aubrey asked in surprise.

"What?  Paint balling?" Justin asked.  Aubrey nodded.  "Oh yeah." He exclaimed.  "It's fun.  Have you ever tried it?"

"No." Aubrey shook her head.  "My brother and his friends were really big into it about ten years ago, but I thought it kind of went the way of all fads."

"No, are you kidding me?" Justin replied leaning towards her.  "It's a ton of fun."

"Yeah, a game that give you huge welts like that," she pointed to his wound, "Sounds really fun." She replied sarcastically and he laughed.

"Don't knock it till you try it." He replied.  Aubrey smiled as she took another bite.  "Do you just have one brother?" He asked.

"Yep." Aubrey nodded as she looked at him.  "It's just me and Michael."

"Is he older or are you?" Justin inquired, his blue eyes watching her.

"He is." Aubrey answered.  "What about you?" She asked.  "Do you have siblings?"

~~~~~

Justin smiled at Aubrey's innocent question.  It was refreshing to talk to someone--a girl--who didn't already know every bit of public information about him.  Although, the fact that Aubrey didn't seem to be affected at all about the fact that she was sitting across the table from him was kind of weirding him out a bit.

"I've got two younger half-brothers." He told her.  He watched as her lips lifted in a soft smile and he was struck by the realization he'd had the first time he'd met her at the park.  She had a great smile that somehow made it impossible for him not to smile back.  He knew he needed to say something to her about the fact that they'd met before--he just didn't know how to bring it up.

"Do you come here often?" Aubrey asked.

"Only when I'm dropping my dog's off at the groomers." He replied, liking the way this conversation was going--this was just the opening he was looking for.

"What kind of dogs do you have?" She asked, her eyes curious as she took another bite.

"I've got two boxers." He said, watching her closely.  "A brother and a sister." She lowered her spoon and slowly looked up at him.  Her brows furrowed slightly and he began to wonder if this was such a great idea.

"What are their names?" She asked hesitantly.

"You don't remember?" He asked.  "Brennan's going to be heartbroken.  She thinks you two are best friends now.  She's wondering why you haven't called."

Aubrey dropped her spoon suddenly.  "That was really you?!" She exclaimed, her eyes wide.  He nodded and he watched as her cheeks turned red.  "I thought..." she shook her head.  "I didn't...what were you doing out in Buena Park that day?" She asked.

"Looking for some space." He replied. 

"Oh, I feel like such an idiot." She murmured, putting a hand to her forehead.

"Why?" He asked.

"I told myself it wasn't really you, but just someone who looked like you that day in the park." She told him.

"Does it really make that much of a difference?" He asked, wondering if he'd somehow misjudged her.  She'd seemed like they type of person who didn't let the fact that someone was famous cause her to treat them any differently.  She was quiet for a moment then shook her head.

"No." Aubrey said.  "It doesn't matter."  Justin smiled.  "I just wish...why didn't you say something when we met again a couple weeks ago?" She inquired.

"I didn't have the chance to." He replied.  "But, how about we start over now?"

"That's what we seem to do every time we meet." She chuckled.  "Is this going to become a habit?  Us starting over?"

"I hope not." Justin answered.  "But if you don't want to start over, how about we just move forward?"

"I'd like that." Aubrey smiled.

"Good." Justin smiled back as he took a bite of his yogurt.

~~~~~

"So, now what?" Aubrey inquired, not quite sure what the next step was.

"Now we get to know each other better." He replied.  "You know: where we're from, what our families are like, what our favorite color is, the things we like, the things we don't like, our most embarrassing moments...the list goes on and on." He informed her and Aubrey chuckled.  

"Alright, since you're the one with the list why don't you go first?" She replied.

"Okay." He took a bite as he looked at her across the table.  "Are you originally from California?"  Aubrey shook her head and began telling him about all the places she'd lived growing up.  "I've been to all those places." He told her. 

"I'm sure you have." She replied with a smile.

"Where was your favorite place to live?" He asked.

"They all had their pros and cons." She replied diplomatically.

"But if you had to pick one?" He pressured.

"If I had to pick one?" Aubrey paused for a moment and thought.  "I like Virginia." She finally answered.

"Why?" He questioned, his eyes watching her closely.

"It the place I've lived the longest and the one that feels the most like home." She answered honestly.  "Plus I really like the snow there in the winter."

"I love winter." Justin replied.  "It's my favorite season."  Aubrey smiled.  "What made you decide to move out her to L.A.?" He questioned, taking another bite.

"Different reasons." Aubrey answered. 

"Such as?" Justin inquired.

"My grandfather died last year."

"I'm sorry." Justin offered sincerely.

"Thanks." She smiled.  "My parents tried to get my grandma to move to Virginia after he died but she refused so I moved out here to kind of keep an eye on her plus I wanted to get out of the small town I was living in."

"So you're living with your grandmother?" Justin asked.

Aubrey nodded.  "There's no way I'd be able to afford to live on my own with what I'm making right now."

"What do you do?" He asked.

"I'm the receptionist at the design firm Rachel works at." She told him.

"Ah!" He smiled.  "I was wondering where your guys' connection was."

"That's it." Aubrey replied.  

"Do you like being a receptionist?" Justin asked.

"Most days." She told him.  "There are a lot of things I don't like about it, but it's a steady job and it gives me time to study and do my homework."

"You're going to school?" He asked. Aubrey nodded.  "What are you studying?"

"I'm just doing my generals right now." She replied.  "But eventually I want to get my teaching certificate."

"What do you want to teach?" Justin asked.

"Kindergarten." Aubrey smiled.  They were both quiet for a moment.  "No more questions?" Aubrey asked.  "What happened to your list?"

Justin chuckled as he folded his arms and leaned them up on the table.  "What's your favorite color?" He asked.

"Pink." She replied.

"Figures." He rolled his eyes.

"What about you?" She asked.

"Baby blue." He answered a bit too quickly and mechanically and she laughed.  "What's your biggest pet peeve?"

"When people tell me they're going to do something and then they don't follow through." Aubrey replied.

"I totally understand that." Justin told her.  "I hate it when people are phony."

"I bet you get a lot of people like that in your line of work." Aubrey said.

"Yeah." He nodded, his eyes holding hers.  "Yeah, I do."

Justin's gaze suddenly became a bit too intense and Aubrey looked down at her now empty yogurt cup, wondering what to say next.  "When do you need to go pick up your dogs?" She asked, looking back up at him.

He looked at his watch.  "Ten minutes ago." He grinned.

"I'm sorry." Aubrey apologized.

"Why?" He asked with a chuckle.  "I was the one asking all the questions." Aubrey smiled and watched as he shifted in his chair, pulling a small silver cell phone from his pocket.  "What's your number?" He asked, flipping the phone open.

"What?" Aubrey asked, taken back.  "Why do you want my number?"

"Because." He said.  "I'm going to call you the next time I go paintballing."

"Oh yeah?" Aubrey smiled. 

"Yeah." He grinned at her.  "What is it?" He asked.  Aubrey looked at him for a moment, then finally gave in and gave him her number.  "Be ready." He said, putting the phone back in his pocket.  "I'm serious.  I'm going to call you and you're going to come with me." He said standing up.

"Okay." Aubrey said standing as well, knowing full well he wasn't going to call her.  Why in the world would Justin Timberlake call her?  To go paintballing of all things?  They said goodbye and Aubrey watched him walk down the sidewalk, in the opposite direction she needed to go, and couldn't help the smile that came to her face or the fact that she seemed to walk a little taller towards her car.  It's amazing what a chance, friendly encounter with an attractive guy can do for one's self esteem.  She mused as she reached her car parked around the corner and got into the SUV.  I wonder if he's really going to call...



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story