Author's Chapter Notes:
The saga continues...

"Played?" Aubrey questioned.

Justin nodded as he watched the confusion on her face grow.  "By a master player." He commented, picking up his glass and taking a sip of his water.

Aubrey was quiet for a moment then sighed as her shoulders slumped slightly in disappointment.  "Rachel's not coming back, is she?"

"Probably not." Justin shook his head.

"I'm sorry." She apologized.  He looked at her in question.

"What are you apologizing for?" He asked.  If his suspicions were correct, Aubrey was the innocent pawn in this game of chess Rachel was playing.  "Rachel's the one who needs to be strung up." Aubrey just looked at him.  He could see the uncertainty in her eyes--she thought this situation was her fault.  Obviously she doesn't know Rachel that well. He thought.

Aubrey's phone chimed, indicating the receipt of a new message and Justin watched as she pulled it from her purse.  As she looked down at the phone, her brows furrowing slightly at whatever she was reading, Justin took the opportunity to take in her appearance.  Her hair was pulled back--as it usually was--and he found himself wondering what it would look like if she were to let it down.  He leaned back in his chair, placing his elbows on the arms of the chair.

"What does the traitor have to say?" He asked. 

Aubrey looked up at him.  "How did you..." She paused then leaned across the table, handing him her phone.  "Here.  Read for yourself."

Justin took the phone from her, his fingers brushing hers in the transition.  His eyes lifted to hers, but Aubrey refused to meet his gaze.  He smiled to himself as he noticed the pink tingeing her cheeks.  Looking down he read Rachel's text.

Sorry, I had to go.  I had and emergency come up. Justin should be able to give you a ride home.

So glad she's an expert on what I can and can't do. He thought dryly.

"I'm sorry." Aubrey apologized again as he handed her back her phone.  "You don't have to take me home.  I can get a cab." She said pushing her chair back. 

"No." Justin said.  Aubrey's eyes met his.  He grinned as an idea came to him. 

"Its okay, Justin," She assured him.  "I don't mind taking a cab home."

"No." He shook his head and leaned across the table.  "You're going to sit here with me.  We're going to order some lunch," he said picking up his menu and opening it up.  "And were going to come up with a way to get back at her." He finished.  Aubrey watched him closely, then slowly scooted her chair back in and picked up her menu. 

"I think it's time that Rachel got a taste of her own medicine."

~~~~~ 

"What do you have in mind?" Aubrey asked, looking over her menu at Justin.  Feeling a little concerned at the purely evil look on his face. 

"I think I want the ravioli." He said, looking at the menu.  Aubrey laughed and he looked up.  "What about you?"

"Um..." She looked down at her menu.  "The ravioli sounds good...or maybe just a salad.  I'm really not that hungry."

"Oh please." He scoffed.  "I know you're not just a salad girl." He laughed.  "What do you really want?" He asked.

Aubrey fought a grin as she looked back down at the menu.  "Chicken Parmesan is my favorite." She confided.

"Then it's settled." He said, closing his menu. 

"Are you guys ready to order?" The waitress asked suddenly appearing.

"Aubrey?" Justin asked looking at her. 

"I'll have the Chicken Parmesan." She said, handing her menu to the waitress.

"And I want the ravioli." Justin said.

"Alright." The waitress smiled.  "I'll get this order in and it'll be out in a few minutes."  She turned and left and Aubrey looked back at Justin.

"So..." He said, putting his elbows up on the table.  He laced his fingers together, resting his chin on top of them.

"So..." Aubrey drawled in response, mimicking the way he was sitting.

"What are we going to do about Rachel?" He asked.

"Oh." Aubrey laughed then sat back in her seat.  "I don't think there's anything to do about Rachel."  She said.

"Oh I don't know," He said, pursing his lips in thought.  "I bet we could do something to get back at her.  She's getting to be a huge pain in my ass and I want to teach her a lesson."

"I'll take that bet." Aubrey replied.  Justin cocked his head to the side as he studied her for a moment.

"What exactly are we betting on here?" He asked.

"On whether or not you can teach Rachel a lesson." She stated.  He narrowed his eyes slightly.  "Look." Aubrey said, leaning back over the table.  "I haven't known Rachel for long, that's true, but I do know a little about her."

"Like what?" Justin questioned, his blue eyes alight with curiosity.

"Like..." she drawled.  "She's stubborn." Justin nodded his head.  "And she's tenacious." Again Justin nodded in agreement.  "And she's the kind of person that doesn't take to people telling her she's wrong." Justin nodded for a third time.  "And did I mention she's stubborn?" Aubrey finished.

Justin chuckled as he picked up his water glass.  "Which is exactly why this is going to be so much fun." He winked at her again and Aubrey's heart skipped a beat.  Why does he have to do that? She wondered.  "So again," he said.  "What exactly are we betting on here?"

Aubrey pulled her bottom lip between her teeth as she sat looking at him.  "We're betting on whether or not you can get Rachel to stay out of our lives." She said.  He blinked.  "I know what she's doing." Aubrey said.  He looked at her in shock. "For some reason she thinks you and I should be together," she continued.  "And she's trying her hardest to make it happen.  So...I'm willing to bet that--as much as I would like you to succeed--you're not going to and she's going to keep meddling."

"And I bet I can." He replied arrogantly. Of course you do. Aubrey thought.  "What are the stakes?" He asked.

"The stakes?" She questioned.

"Yeah." He grinned.  "What are we betting?  If I lose, what do you want?" He asked.

To go on a real date with you.  She wanted to say, but bit back the thought.  She looked down at her lap as she thought for a moment.  "I don't know." She laughed nervously, looking back up at him.

"Close your eyes." He said.

"What?"

"Close your eyes." He repeated.  She did as he requested.  "When I say: what do you want, what's the first thing that pops into your head?"

"To travel somewhere exotic." Aubrey replied then opened her eyes, letting go a dreamy sigh.  Justin grinned at her, his blue eyes sparkling and she felt a bit breathless.  "What about you?" She asked.  "What do you want if you win?"

He was quiet for a moment then answered honestly, "To be a normal guy for a day."

Aubrey just looked at him, empathy welling up inside of her.  Here she was sitting across the table from a guy--who for all intents and purposes--looked to all the world to have everything that life had to offer and what did he want most?  To be normal.  To give it all up.  She used to think that celebrities led such glamorous and uninhibited lives, but the more she came to know Justin--and JC, through association with Rachel--she was beginning to see that what looked like freedom on the outside was really just a gilded cage.  He was trapped by his status-unable to go anywhere or do anything without a million people watching his every move.  She stretched out her hand towards him.

"Deal." She said.  Justin slipped his hand into hers, his warm fingers wrapping around hers and she felt an almost electric charge at the contact.  Her eyes locked with his and she wondered if he had felt it as well.  His face, however, remained unchanged--his expression unreadable at the moment.

"Deal." He said with a nod of his head then released her hand.

"So what's your plan of attack, Maestro?" She asked.  A purely evil grin spread across his face and she swore she could see horns growing from the top of his head.  She laughed.   

"Rachel has no idea what's in store for her." He scooted his chair around the table to sit closer to her.  "Here's what I'm thinking..."

~~~~~~

Date: Mon, 27 April 2009 14:24:57

Subject: Captain's Log

To: freckles_21@yahoo.com

From: desertrat@mail.mil.gov

Dear Freckles,

I haven't heard from you in a few days.  I was beginning to get worried.  I'm glad you got the new job at the Aquatic Center.  It sounds like things are finally starting to fall into place for you!  Just make sure that with everything you're doing you don't get so busy you forget about me.

Have you heard from that Justin guy you were telling me about?  Has he declared his complete adoration for you yet?  He's a fool if he hasn't.  And speaking of fools, have you heard from Andrew?

Michael

 

Date: Mon, 27 April 2009 13:15:23

Subject: Secretary Diaries

To: desertrat@mail.mil.gov

From: freckles_21@yahoo.com

Dear Desert Rat,

Funny you should ask.  I actually had lunch with Justin on Saturday. :)  But I think I'm the fool.  He hasn't done anything to indicate he's interested in me that way.  I'm thinking it's a good thing that I'm starting the teaching job next week.  It'll keep me too busy to think any more of these ridiculous thoughts I've been having about the guy.  Don't get me wrong, he's great.  He's smart, funny and nice and we have fun together and find a million things to talk about, but I think he's only looking for a friend right now.  He recently went through a breakup and I don't really want to be the rebound girl, you know?

Anyway...I promise I won't forget about you and I promise it won't be so long between my next email. :)

Aubrey

P.S. No, I haven't heard from Andrew.

~~~~~~

"Are you sure you're okay with this?" Justin asked JC as he followed the other guy into his house a few nights later.  He'd called him the other day, explaining why he wanted to come over tonight.  JC knew Rachel was getting on Justin's nerves with the whole match--making scheme she had going on and had agreed to let him to try and get her to stop.  "I'm not sayin' anything is really going to happen," he said in assurance.  "But..."

"What's not really going to happen?" Rachel asked, coming around the corner and looking at the boys. 

"Uh," JC stammered, looking over at Justin.  "Well..."

"I was just making sure Jace was okay with me working on one of his songs." Justin said stepping in with his prefabricated lie.  Rachel's brows furrowed as she looked at them both. 

"One of his songs?" She asked lifting her face as JC stepped over to her and kissed her cheek.  He wrapped his arms around her from behind and rested his chin on her shoulder.

"Yeah." Justin said, jumping up on the kitchen counter and reaching over for one of the cookies Rachel had cooling on the counter.  "I've got an idea for one of them and I asked if he would let me play around with it this weekend." He shifted on the counter and pulled his jump drive from his pocket.  "I just came over to download it." He said, holding up the small storage device. 

"Oh." Rachel said, looking over her shoulder at JC.  "Which song?" She asked, stepping out of his arms as the oven started beeping.  She pulled out the sheet of chocolate chip cookies and started putting them on the racks she had set up.  Justin grabbed another one and took a big bite. 

"These are really good." He said with his mouth full, not answering her question.  He swallowed noisily.  "I didn't know you baked." 

"I bake." Rachel exclaimed.  Justin just looked at her.  "I cook too.  Tell him I cook." She said, looking over at JC who had his mouth full of cookie.

"I cook." JC said with a grin as Rachel put the cookie tray in the sink.  She reached over and slapped his chest.  He laughed.  "She cooks." He said.

"Yeah, out of a box, right?" Justin teased. 

"No!" Rachel exclaimed, putting her hands on her hips.  "For your information I make a mean chicken salad."

"Is that right?" Justin asked.

"Yes." She nodded.  "Tell him, JC." She said turning around.

"It's mean alright." JC nodded. 

"Okay, you know what?" Rachel said, pointing a finger at her boyfriend.  JC just laughed as he put his arm around her shoulder and kissed her. 

"I'm kidding." He laughed.  "Your chicken salad is good and you make awesome chocolate chip cookies." He assured her. 

"Thank you." She replied.  "Now, why don't you guys go do whatever you need to do with that song while I get dinner ready."

"What are we having?" Justin asked. 

"Well, I don't know about you." She answered as she opened the cupboard next to him.  "But we're having some salmon and steamed vegetables."

"Sounds good." JC said.  "Come on." He said to Justin as he walked past him.  Justin hopped off the counter, grabbed a few more cookies, and followed JC out of the kitchen.  "Good luck, man." JC whispered to him with a chuckle as he walked downstairs.  Justin stayed in the hallway for a minute, quickly eating the cookies he'd taken then, wiping his hands together, he took a deep breath and walked back into the kitchen. 

Here goes nothing. He thought.

~~~~~

Rachel jumped slightly as two hands appeared on either side of her on the counter.  She looked down at them as she felt him press his body against hers and smiled.  "Hey." She said quietly.  "Is Justin downstairs?"  She turned around and gasped as a different pair of blue eyes than the ones she was expecting looked back at her.  "Justin!" She exclaimed, leaning back against the counter to try and put some distance between them.  "W-what...what are you doing?" She asked her eyes widening and her heart speeding up as he leaned towards her.

"Justin?" She questioned, swallowing and trying hard to ignore the shiver that went down her spine as he leaned over her and pressed his hips against hers. 

"Hmmm?" He hummed, his nose running along the edge of her jaw.

"JC's here." She reminded him.  "He's right downstairs."

Justin pulled back and looked at her, his face an inch away from hers.  "Don't worry about him." He said, a confident smirk on his face as he leaned over her once more.  "He's busy copying that song for me.  He thinks I'm on the phone with my mom.  I wanted to talk to you." He said, his eyes holding hers captive as he raised one hand and brushed his fingertip across her cheek. 

"About what?" She questioned, hating the way her traitorous body was responding to him.  Damn it! Rachel swore to herself as Justin licked his lips, bringing her attention to his mouth.  JC. She reminded herself.  You're in love with JC. You're living with JC.  You're practically engaged to JC! 

"About last Saturday." Justin replied leaning over her.  She shivered as she felt his breath warm on her neck. Rachel closed her eyes, praying for the strength to resist him.  JC.  JC.  JC.  She repeated over and over, reminding herself of the presence of her protective and sometimes overly jealous boyfriend in the house.  He would kill them both if he were to walk upstairs right now.

"W-what..." She licked her lips.  "What about last Saturday?"  Her breath hitched as he brushed his nose along her jaw.

"About when we met for lunch." He whispered, his voice low and rough in her ear.  Rachel pulled her bottom lip between her teeth, holding back a whimper.  Please don't let JC walk upstairs.

"Hmmm." She hummed, unable to form a complete sentence as she felt his warm lips press against the corner of her jaw. 

"I want you..." He drawled and Rachel's stomach quivered.  "To butt out." He finished. 

Rachel's eyes snapped open as he stilled.  Justin pulled back and looked at her, both hands gripping the counter behind her.

"What?" She asked, completely confused.

"I want you to butt out." He repeated.  "I know what you're doing and I don't appreciate it."

"What the hell are you talking about?" She asked, feeling her anger rise as the humiliation set in.  Normally she was the one that did the playing but she had just become the pawn in Justin's game of seduction.  He had completely disarmed her because he knew about her weakness when it came to his smooth charm and irresistibly good looks.

Justin pushed off of the counter and put some space between them.  "I don't know why you think you need to help me, but I want you to butt out of mine and Aubrey's lives." He said his eyes and voice icy.  "We're both adults and we're both perfectly capable of making our own decisions about who we want to date so I want you to leave us alone.  Are we clear?" He asked, folding his arms across his chest.

"Fine." Rachel said, mimicking him as she folded her arms as well.  "I'll butt out but only if you promise me one thing."

"What?" Justin asked, tilting his head to the side as he cocked a brow.

Rachel stepped towards him as she pointed a finger at him, pushing it into his chest.  "I'll stop trying to set you guys up if you promise me she won't get hurt."

"Hurt?" Justin asked in confusion.  "What are you talking about?"

"Aubrey is young and..." Rachel sighed as she dropped her arms.  "And I don't want to see her get hurt.  She's going to read into things and you," she pointed a finger into his chest.  "Need to be careful with the signals you send her.  I don't want her to get hurt."

"She's not going to get hurt." Justin assured her.  "Because nothing is going on between us and nothing will be going on between us."

Yeah, we'll see about that. She thought.  "Just promise me." She insisted.  Justin narrowed his eyes as he looked at her. 

"I promise." He said.  "Now, are you going to leave us alone?"

"Yes." Rachel replied.

"Thank you." Justin said and Rachel watched as he turned and walked out of the room.  With a sigh she collapsed back against the counter.  She lifted a hand to her head and closed her eyes.  Damn him.  She thought.  Why did he have to bring sexy back?

~~~~~~

"Hello?" Aubrey asked as she answered her phone Wednesday evening. 

"Hey." Justin answered, a smile in his voice.

"Hey yourself." Aubrey smiled, pulling her legs up beneath her and leaning back against the arm of the couch.  She reached over and grabbed the remote control and turned off the television.  She'd just finished her English paper that was due the next day and since Grams was down at the church for her weekly night of bingo, Aubrey had settled in for a quiet night alone.  "What's up?" She asked.

"Not much." He replied.  "I was just calling to tell you it's time to pay up."

"What?" Aubrey chuckled in confusion.  "What are you talking about?"

"Don't tell me you've forgotten our bet." He replied. 

"Oh!" Aubrey replied.  "Right.  The bet." She smiled as she remembered the wager they'd made over the weekend.  She narrowed her eyes as she twirled a strand of her hair between her fingers.  "What did you do?" She asked.

"I got Rachel to promise to leave us alone." He answered.

"Really?" She asked incredulously.  "How?"

"I have my ways." He chuckled.

"Yeah, I bet you do." Aubrey replied dryly.  Justin laughed.

"So?" He asked. 

"So what?" She questioned.

"It's your turn now." He told her.  "I told you what I wanted if I was able to get her to butt out."

"Alright." Aubrey replied as she pulled her bottom lip between her teeth and thought.  Justin's request had been a day of normalcy.  How in the world is Justin Timberlake going to ever be able to have a normal day?  She wondered.

"You still there?" He asked.

"Yeah, sorry." She said.  "I'm thinking.  Your request is going to take some...creativity to produce." She told him.

He chuckled.  "You don't have to do anything." He said, letting her off the hook.  "I--"

"No, I want to." She told him.  "Just...give me a second."  He obliged her by remaining quiet.  Aubrey thought.  What was a normal day for her?  What could she do to give him what he wanted?  She perked up as an idea came to her.  "Okay." She said.  "What are you doing this Saturday?"

"Saturday?" He asked.  "Nothing.  Why?"

"Can you come over here?" She asked.  "And bring your dogs?"

"Sure." He replied.  "What do you have in mind to do?" He asked.

"Uh-uh." She shook her head and smiled.  "It's a surprise."

"Okay." He chuckled.  "What time should I be over there?"

"Uh...nine?" She asked.

"Alright."

"One more thing." She told him.  "No cell phone."

"What?!" He exclaimed. 

"No cell phone." She repeated.  "No cell phone, no iPod, no Blackberry...nothing electronic that would connect you to anyone who knows you."

"Why?" He asked.

"You said you wanted to be normal for day, which means I don't want anything around that reminds you of who you are." She told him.  "For one day, Justin Timberlake isn't going to exist."

"I don't know..." He drawled.

"Trust me." She said. 

He was quiet for a moment then, "Okay." He said, agreeing with her terms.  "Saturday, nine o'clock, no cell phone."  Aubrey smiled. 

"Oh, and bring a shovel if you have one."

"What?" He chuckled in confusion. 

"Just do it." She laughed.  "No questions."

"You drive a hard bargain, girl." He replied.  "Alright."  They were both quiet for a moment.  "So what are you up to tonight?" He asked, changing the subject. 

"Not much." She replied.  "I just finished watching my show--"

"Which is?" He asked, interrupting her.

"Bones." She replied.

"Oh yeah." He said.  "I remember you saying something about that show the first time we met."

Aubrey was taken back that he would remember that inconsequential bit of information she'd given him that day so long ago.  She smiled.  "Yeah." She replied.  Suddenly someone knocked at the front door and she turned around. "Hang on." She said.  "Someone's at the door."

"Okay." Justin replied.  "So is that show really that good?" He asked.

"Yes." Aubrey exclaimed.  "I love it."

"Why?" He asked.

"Because." She replied.  "It's just...good and David Boreanas is hot."

Justin groaned.  "Such a typical girl answer." He replied with a laugh.

Aubrey laughed as well as she reached out her hand and turned the door knob.  She pulled the door open and felt the smiled on her face fall instantly.  Her eyes went wide and she dropped her arm which was holding her phone to her side. 

"Andrew."

Chapter End Notes:

*ducks from all the shoes being thrown at her*

I know, I know...another cliff-hanger...forgive me??



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story