Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks for sticking in there with me. Here's another chapter. 


   

 

 

Sierra-Marie 

 

 

 

I watch as Justin walks to the front entrance as my phone begins to ring in my pocket. Looking at the unfamiliar number, I pause for a moment.  Then, remembering that it could be any one of my family members.  I answer immediately.  

 

 

"Hello?" 

 

nothing 

 

"Hello?  Is anyone there?" 

 

"Hello...Si-Si?" 

 

"Daddy?  Is that you?"  I say and my heart starts to race.  God, please let it be him. 

 

"Yes babygirl, it's me.  I'm alright."   The tears start streaming down my face as I listen to him breathe.  Just to hear that is major for me.  Jumping up from my seat I say... 

 

"Oh my goodness, Daddy, you scared the heck outta me.  Are you alright?  Where are you?  How are you feeling?  Why are you....?"  He  cut me off before I could say anything else. 

 

"Wait a sec sweetheart.  I'm okay.  Uncle Brian and I were rescued by the Coast Guard just in time.  The water was so high, I really didn't think I'd get out.  But, I'm here thank GOD.  Where's your mama?"  By this time, I'm pacing with excitement. 

 

"She's asleep, let me wake her." 

 

"No, don't do that.  Are you guys in Houston?  Because I'm at a bus station right outside Lake Charles.  We should be in Houston in a few hours." 

 

"Yeah, we were going to go to Arkansas but the interstate was so congested that they turned us around.  Call me as soon as you get here and I'll come get you.  As a matter of fact, do you know where they'll be dropping you off?  I can meet you there?" 

 

"I think we're going downtown to the Greyhound station.  Let me check."  I hear him asking the bus driver or someone where they'll be going and the person confirms his earlier statement. "Downtown Houston baby.  And do me a favor." 

 

"Anything daddy." 

 

"Don't wake or tell any of the girls.  I want to surprise them." 

 

"Mommy's going to kill me when she finds out you know." 

 

"I'll make sure she doesn't trust me.  I love you babygirl.  See you in a few hours."  

 

"I love you too daddy."  I hear the phone click and I hold it to my heart.  I can't even begin to express how grateful I am that my daddy and my uncle are okay.  I see Justin walking back toward me and feeling overwhelmed, I rush to him and throw my arms around his neck. 

 

"Wow, I was only gone for like ten minutes.  This is the best welcome I've ever gotten in such a short time."  He says laughing.  I just cry and hold him tighter. 

 

"Are you alright?  Did something happen since I was outside?"  I'm a blubbering mess but I get out a response. 

 

"My daddy's alive.  He's alright.  I was so scared that something went wrong.  And to hear that he's okay...it's the best gift in the world."  He squeezes me tighter and I welcome his embrace. 

 

"That's amazing girl.  Did he just call you?" 

 

"Yep, he said he's in Lake Charles.  About three hours away.  I'm going to pick him up from the Greyhound station downtown." 

 

"Are you going alone?" 

 

"Probably.  He wants to surprise my mom and sisters and they're all asleep.  I don't mind though.  I won't be alone for long."  I reply, getting this huge smile on my face.  Neither of us noticed that he was still holding me until I felt him tug on the belt loops of my jeans.  I begin to let go, but he holds me in place. 

 

"Umm...I'm alright now.  Thank you for being here in this moment.  I really needed a hug."  I say and push myself out of his arms.  I miss his embrace already, which is kinda disturbing seeing as though I don't know him that well.  I'll just chalk it up to getting caught up in the moment.  

 

Yeah...that's it. 

 

"I can come with you if you'd like.  You know, keep you company until he gets there.  Just so you won't be alone." 

 

"That's okay.  Haven't you called your ride already?  I don't want to keep you any longer than I already have."

 

"This may seem a bit selfish of me but, I'd really like to be there to see you reunite with your father.  I feel like I'm apart of this in some way.  I don't want to infringe on your moment or anything but I feel like I'd be missing out on something beautiful and I'd love to witness that."  His words seem so sincere and I wouldn't mind the company.  He begins to speak again, breaking my train of thought.   

 

"We can take the car if you want.  I've already ordered it and this way, you won't have to drive."   

 

"Are you sure?  He won't get here for another three hours and the car's on the way now.  What do we do in the meantime?" 

 

"Well, you can come back to the hotel with me and we can hang in the 24 hour cafe' downstairs.  My hotel shouldn't be too far from the bus station.  When time comes, we'll call the service again and be on our way."  I look at him hesitantly, shocked that he's willing to go through this much trouble for me. 

 

"If you don't mind, I'd love the company.  Thank you so much."  I say and look down.  He puts his hand under my chin so I can meet his eyes.  The color of azure blue with flecks of grey running through them is awe-inspiring.  I stare longer than I intend to and he rubs my arm. 

 

"Where'd your mind go?"  He asks. 

 

"I'm just thinking about how nice you're being.  I don't even know what to say."  Tears start falling and he pads them away with his thumb. 

 

"Hey, it's okay, I promise.  I'm just glad I can help."  He gets a call that tells him the car's outside.   

 

"Is that the car?" 

 

"Yeah, let's go get your father." 


Incomplete
Keediluv is the author of 22 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 6 members. Members who liked August 29th:You Think You Know also liked 514 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story