August 29th, 2005

5:16am

Symone'

This sucks!  We've been in this damn car for 13 hours now and we still ain't no where near Little Rock.  We've pulled over at a gas station in Monroe waiting in line for gas.  Brianna and Sienna are asleep, Momma's on the phone with Daddy (stubborn ass ol' man) and Sierra's outside getting some air.  I'm angry, upset and and tired.  Our mayor didn't give us the mandatory evacuation order until Sunday mid-day.  In my opinion, that was the dumbest move he could have ever made.  How do you expect an entire city to just up and leave on such a short notice?  I know at least 30 people who just couldn't leave because they had no way out.  The severity of this storm was not given off hand and we honest to God didn't think it was coming near us.  Most of my friends weren't able to leave and not to mention my boyfriend.  His Momma's real sick and they can't just up and leave and not only that, his Daddy's in an ol' folks home so you know he can't go anywhere just like that.  I feel so bad about this.  When hurricanes usually come, we don't go anywhere because the worst that usually happens is a couple windows are blown out and it floods but everyone comes out alright afterward but I don't know about this one.  It just doesn't feel right you know?  I've never seen so many people flee like this before and now, no one can enter or exit the city because of the curfew.  Living below sea level is so dangerous as it is and I just don't have a good feeling about this...not at all.  Like I said before, this SUCKS!

 

Sierra-Marie

I've talked to a few people waiting in line with me to get gas and hearing some of their stories is heart breaking already and the storm just started like 15 minutes ago.  Take Belinda for example; 21 yr old college student, lives at home with her Mom and seven, count them seven other brothers and sisters; all of whom are younger than she is.  They only have her one car in the family and her Mom asked her to take them with her because she was going to stay at the hospital with her grandfather.  She doesn't have enough money to fill her tank and continue to feed all of the kids for God knows how long and doesn't know where she's gonna go but headed in this direction figuring that this would be an easier route to take than heading west toward Texas.  So guess what I did?  I did what I think any red-blooded person with a heart would have done, I gave her all of the cash that I had on me which was 872 dollars.  I made really good tips on Friday and because my house is already paid and I usually pay all of my bills in advance and the hotel was extremely busy the past two months, I've been able to save the money I make and the money I get from Brian's social security and pension plans he had with the military.  I also gave her my cell phone number just in case she needs anything else.  So after she thanked me and promised to pay me back someway, we were finally able to pump our gas...then the unthinkable happens. 

"If I may have everyone's attention please!  The governor of Arkansas is not allowing anyone in the state for the next 12 hours due to congestion on it's interstates.  What the governor has done along with the U.S. Navy, and Continental Airlines have come together to fly you safely into Houston where you then will be transported to the Astrodome for shelter.  The Navy will provide cargo ships to transport all of your vehicles to Houston as well.  If everyone will follow me, I'll guide you to the airport."  Can you imagine the looks on everyone's faces when he finished.  I can't begin to describe the look of utter confusion on everyone's faces.  After being in the car this damn long just to be told that we still have to go to Houston...man I hate this shit!



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story