Author's Chapter Notes:

It's been four years today...

I don't really know how I feel today but this update is for you...

Ki

 

 

Conversations at Midnight

 

Sierra-Marie

 

It's about 11:30pm and the dome is pretty quiet.  My momma, Sienna and Symone are asleep and Brianna is resting on Justin Timberlake's lap.  The conversation between the two of us has been light and easy, which I'm very grateful for.  I feel like I'm in this weird dream where the best and worst thing in the world has happened to me.  The day I get to meet one of my favorite musicians in the world is also the day where I'm wondering if my daddy and uncle are alright.  Brianna seems to be falling asleep so I think I should go lie her down.

 

"Justin, I think I need to lie her down so she can rest.  Your arms must be tired from holding her all day."

 

"It was my pleasure.  She's really no trouble at all.  You probably have the most adorable little girl I've ever met in my life.  Are you going to bed too?"

 

"No, I don't think I'll be able to really sleep until I'm sure Bri's down for the night.  I'll leave her with my mom.  Are you leaving?  Because if you are then don't let me..."

 

"No, I'd like a chance to get to know you better.  I'm sorry that it's under poor circumstances but I want to make sure you guys will be okay.  That isn't wrong of me is it?"

 

"I wouldn't say that.  A part of me wants to tell you to go and get a good night's sleep but honestly, I really could use the company, if you don't mind.  I know you're here with your girlfriend so I wouldn't want to come between you two or anything like that."

 

"Cameron left two hours ago.  She completely understands why I'm staying but she wasn't feeling all that well today so I told her to get some rest and if she's in the mood for it, come back in the morning.  I'll call a service to pick me up, it'll be fine."

 

"Okay, I'm going to lay her next my mom and be right back."

 

I walk over to where my momma and Symone' are laying and gently place her grandbaby next to her.  She instinctively reaches out for her and Brianna cradles in her arms.  They look so peacful that I kiss both of them on their forehead and back away slowly.  I pull out my cell phone as I walk back to where Justin and I were sitting to check for messages.  I got a voicemail from my friend Misty telling me she and her family and safe and in Atlanta up at a hotel in the area.  I was happy to hear that so I saved the message and exited my voicemail.  I look up and see that Justin isn't sitting where we were before.  I walk around a little more to see him sitting among a group of young people talking with them.  He sees me walking up to them but excuses himself before I can reach the table. 

 

"You didn't have to get up.  I would have joined you guys."

 

"It's cool, I was only sitting over there until you came back.  So, how are you feeling?"

 

"Is it possible that I'm not feeling anything?  It's like I'm numb.  I guess I'm so many emotions all at once that my body has decided to feel nothing.  I'm not sleepy, hungry, tired, or anything like that so I can't rest.  Mommy's pretty much worried herself sick, my sister's upset about her boyfriend and I still haven't heard from my friends."

 

"In retrospect, I think I should have kept that question to myself."  He says with a small smile.  The fact that he's trying is really cute to me and I'm excited that he's even here talking to me.

 

"It's okay, you're concerned and I really appreciate it.  So, let's talk about something else...where you in Houston before the storm?"

 

"Yeah, I just got here two days ago.  Cam's filming a part of her movie here and I came down to visit.  I had no idea about the hurricane.  As soon as we heard about evacuees coming here, we rushed down."

 

"Thanks, because you really didn't have to.  I'm sure you could have found something else to do with your time."

 

"It's really no big deal.  Once we heard, it wasn't even a question.  Where do you work in New Orleans?"

 

"I work at The Ritz-Carlton as a server.  I just got a letter of recommendation to be promoted on Friday.  Now, I don't even know if I'll have a job to go back to.  Isn't it amazing what a difference a day can make?  From promotion to...I don't even know what to call this.  I was just starting to pull my life back together and this happens."

 

"If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean 'pull your life back together?"

 

"My husband."

 

"What happened with your husband?  You guys break up?"

 

"No, nothing like that.  I lost him about two and a half years ago in Iraq.  He was trying to help out one of his men when they were attacked."

 

"I'm so sorry."

 

"It's okay, really.  He died doing what he loved.  He'd been in JROTC and ROTC before joining the Army.  Can't describe how much I miss him though.  Okay, I can't keep talking about Brian right now for fear that my system will shut down from grief."

 

"Then we won't say another word until your ready.  Your daughter is amazing!  I can't believe that in a seven hour period I've fallen head over heels for her.  She's beautiful and smart and has the most awesome sense of the world around her.  You must be one proud mommy."  The twinkle in his eye that appears everytime he talks about my baby sends little shocks through my body.  He's completely done.

 

"Pride can't even describe what that wonderful little girl has done for me.  She's honestly the reason I'm able to keep going.  Beyond all the bullshit, and drama and utter ridiculousness of this whole storm, Brianna doesn't know or care about it.  For her, life is about family, mommy, and Big Bird."

 

"She's into Big Bird?"

 

"Like you wouldn't believe.  You know, most kids these days are all about Elmo and Barney or whatever but not my little one.  We got her an Elmo for Christmas and she flipped out!  Like, screaming, crying, the whole nine.  Then, she picked up the box and started yanking it up and down.  My best friend bought her a Big Bird doll and sat it in front of her.  She looked at it for the longest time, picked it up and decided that Big Bird would be her toy of choice."

 

"Wow...I didn't think kids were into Big Bird anymore."

 

"Yeah, my baby has always been different."

 

"What about her mommy?"

 

"What do you mean?"  He's looking at me and his eyes are filled with so many questions.  So I say...

 

"What would you like to know about me?"

 

"What's your favorite music?"

 

"Music with heart.  Soulful music that can teach me something, make me feel better, put me in a great mood.  Heartfelt ballads, feel good hip hop, almost any kind of R&B, pop, country.  If the lyrics are good and the melody is right, I'm down."

 

 

We talked for about another hour or so about any and everything.  Justin told me about his life in Tennessee, his early years with *NSYNC and all his solo stuff.  I told him more about my work and our heritage.  By the time we looked at the clock, it was 1:45am and he was getting tired.

 

"Under the circumstances, I had a lot of fun with you, but I should get going.  It'll probably take the car service half an hour or so before they get here and I wanna be ready."

 

"You know, I can take you back to your hotel if you'd like?"

 

"Thanks for the offer but I know you need to stay with your family and I don't mind calling the service.  But tell my girlfriend that I'll be back first thing in the morning to have breakfast with her."  We stand up from the table and I take a long stretch, ready to rest finally.  From the looks of things, so was Justin.

 

"I will.  Make sure you get yourself enough rest though.  She's a ball of energy in the morning."

 

"I'll be ready.  Goodnight Sierra."

 

"Goodnight Justin."

 

 

Three hours later...

 

I made it!  Whew...yes!  Thank you Lord Jesus!  Ok, I need to call my family and let them know I'm alright.  I find a payphone right outside of the building they evacuated us to and dialed the all too famaliar number...

 

'Hello?'

'Daddy...is that you?'



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story