The rest of the dinner was fairly silent. Except for a couple odd personal questions direct from Karen Chasez. She’s dying to know too much if you ask me. But I guess that’s what mothers are for. Hell if I had that when I was growing up. I guess my childhood was all that bad. Pretty normal for someone raised in the valley. People used to ask me at school if we were rich. We were as suburbia as we can get. We were a very average family. And we were nothing like the Chasezes. Not even close to the middle class.

"Hey Kyle, how’s the class going?" Thank you Josh, I never thought I’d be glad to hear another voice.

Kyle looked up for a split second and then back to menu, "It’s going well. Layla’s like my TA. She makes class fun."

Hm, I do? That’s news to me. Is he trying to look good in front of his parents or something? He’s an OK teacher but I’m far from what he’s saying about me. Also, it’s hard to make anything fun when people are so serious.

"Son, hello? Can you hear me? Joshua?" Dang, his parents use his full name.

"Yeah, dad? Sorry…" He stumbled on his words. Maybe it was that girl that’s currently chained against his body.

"We were just wondering what you were going to do about that screenplay. Has John read it yet?"

"Yeah, well not yet. I called him yesterday to get review on it. He'll let me know as soon as he finishes reading it."

Screenplay? He's a writer? "What are you writing about?"

"I guess it’s like a character study. I don’t really know actually. I had a thesis but I needed John’s take on it. I’m gonna call him again soon."

You’re writing something and you don’t know what it is? Is that possible? Guess now it is.

Oh no, she’s looking at me. I dreaded the next question.

"Layla, we wanted to know if you would join us on our trip to Saint Barts. Kyle mentioned that his wife is on a business trip and can’t make it. I know it’s a big offer but its up to you honey. I’m sure it’ll be nice of you to come."

"Plus there’s that extra ticket." Roy Chasez followed.

His wife gave him that look that he was "out-of-line" and in a way, he was. Me? Going on a free trip without a catch involved? There’s got to be a catch. I opted to know more before I accepted a golden ticket for free. There is no such thing as an offer as prodigious as this without some kind of payback.

Am I just being silly? She could be just offering a nice vacation on them. I was so confused. But who says I have to answer now?

I bowed my head in respect, "Thank you, I will think about it." What else could I add?

"You know, guys, maybe this is too soon. I mean everybody just met her. Besides, why isn’t Jennea coming Kyle?" Josh asked beside me.

I could tell Kyle looked uncomfortable. Dang, even around his family, it’s a sore subject.

"She’s good. She just has more jobs to do. We’ve discussed it. She’s coming back during the fall. Right after the trip. Things are OK."

The way he said was like something I would say to shut someone up. Not saying it wasn’t true. It’s not my business what goes on outside the classroom. I mean, he trusts me to sub for him on occasion.

All this is coming from me. Last thing I need is to cause a riff between the brothers. I should say something. "You know, its alright. I’d rather not put anyone out and get in the way of family plans. Really, it’s ok. It was a nice gesture though, thank you."

I really backed out. They just offered me a dream vacation of a lifetime and I drop it like it’s a dirty rag. But I had to decline. Things like this are beyond too good to be true. I really didn’t want to explain myself if anybody asks me why.

There was so much tension in the scene I felt like someone was going to shoot me between my eyes like in Taxi Driver. When you’re in unreal situations like this, it’s almost like your waiting for someone to say "cut." But no one did. This was real. Fuck. SOMEone say something.

I needed a break. I had to or I was about to burst. Not sure with what. I stood up and excused myself. I didn’t wait for their answer I almost bolted from my chair to the ladies room. I forgot what this place was called when I opened the door. I feel like I can sleep in here. The room was almost as dark as outside. Deep brown couches lined up in each corner. They all just called for me to flop down on and shut my eyes. I just stood there. Just stood there looking. This is ridiculous. Why was I behaving like a crazy person? I think overeating covers it.

Ugh, just go back and seat down like a normal human being person. Don’t let them know anything is up. Don’t give yourself away. You’ve already humiliated yourself enough.

I took a deep breath, turned back around and screamed. "What are you doing here?"

My worst nightmare was coming true. He grabbed my arm and pulled me to him, "Stay quiet. You’re coming with me."


Incomplete
CupcakeCutie is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked You're My Favorite Work of Art also liked 189 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story