I could be the first to let you know

That nothing means anything

Now I'm standing here outside your door

In the pouring rain...

After his many attemps to knock on her door, he turned back to his car. He ran a hand down his rain soaked curls and put his face in his hands. The rain continued to come down hard on his tinted windows.

And I can't believe

That nothing's supposed to get to me

Now I'm in this misery

He let out a shaky sigh before looking up at her house. The wooden door frame, the cream wood-stacked walls, the chocolate-tiled roof, the flowers that he helped plant...

How do you get someone back who doesn't love you anymore?

"Hey baby." "Hey..." His brow furrows in confusion.

"Candy, what's wrong?"

"I-I...I can't do this anymore." He chuckled.

"What are you trying to do? If you're trying to move those boxes in your basement by yourself again Can -- "

"Justin," His heart skipped a beat with anticipation at her pause. "I really did love you." Did?

"Did? What are you trying to say Candace?" He nearly yelled out of anger.

"Justin, don't get mad." Don't get mad? How the fuck am I not supposed to be mad? "But, lately I don't think I've been feeling the same way you do. And I don't want to hurt you - "

"Hurt me? What the fuck are you saying?"

"I can't do this - us. I'm sorry."

"Candace! Wha --" She hung up.

He replayed the scenario over and over in his head, trying to put the pieces together but none of it seemed to make sense. Why didn't he see this coming? All this time, it was like he had heaven in the palm of his hands, when his angel was silently falling into hell. It broke him.

Now I can't breathe

Nothing's how it's supposed to be

How did you do this to me?

Locked inside your heart-shaped box...

With a final exasperated sigh, he slowly climbed out the car, into the rain, and up to her front porch. His knuckles nearly grazed the cedar wood door when a giggle emerged from the other side. He noticed a light suddenly illuminate the living room. Justin inched his way to the window.

There she was.

Wrapped in the robe he had gotten her for their first Christmas together, with a mug of hot steaming liquid in her hands. She was smiling. The smile that made him fall in love with her time and time again. She was laughing now. It was almost like music to his ears; to hear the sound emit from her lips brought a smile to his face. He missed her. She went out to reach to for something and what she brought back made his eyes grow wide in shock.

Locked in her fingers were those of another. Another more taller, more rugged than she.

The anonymous man leaned in for a kiss and she happily obliged, letting out one of her infamous giggles. His heart stopped.

It's like I almost died

The way you make me feel

I'm changing, got me breaking dow inside

Baby can't you see you ruined me

Their lips continued to linger and Justin felt he would be sick. He watched as the unknown man settled himself ontop of his girlfriend and watched his girlfriend grant permission to this stranger.

He was just that: a stanger. To Justin anyway. He has never seen him, or heard about there possibly being any other man in her life beside him. He got over his sudden illness when heated anger began to pulse through his veins. His hands clenched at his sides and his breath was now making small clouds in the cold air. His heated strides led him back to his car in record time.

Candace let out a sudden jump and sat up suddenly. The stranger gently moved his kisses to the side of her neck.

"What's wrong baby?" He breathed onto her. Her eyes fell on the window.

"I thought I heard something." She said squinting into the darkness of the rain. The stranger briefly looked up and followed her gaze. He shook his head.

"It's nothing baby. How bout we get back to what we started?" He flashed her his award winning smile and she let out another giggle.

Justin slammed his door so hard he was afraid his mirror would shatter. But that was the last thing on his mind. He sped out of the driveway so fast he left tire marks on the gravel. He left speeding down Hwy. 65 with not so much as a clue to where he was going.

I don't want to be in love

I don't want to feel this way

All I wanna do is leave

The scene played out in his head like a broken record and he was tempted to turn around and go back. To barge into her house and find that she had made a mistake. To even go back and find out what he saw was all in his head. That she was sitting there his robe waiting for him to come and take her back. He wanted to go back. He wanted to hold her again, he wanted to kiss her again, he wanted her to love him again...

But all I can do is stay

Nights and days go by

And I can't wait to touch your face again

The painstakable truth was that it was all real. It was all there, out in plain light. And he didn't want to see it.

I could be the first to let you know

That I can't be with anyone

Since I felt our worlds collide

He sped down the coast with nothing but grievance and anger to power his drive, yet no emotion was present on his face. He felt dead inside.

Baby can't you see

You ruined me... for life.


Incomplete
Bobby is the author of 1 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Understand also liked 474 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story