Epilogue

December 31st 2004

“That is such a crock of shit.”

“It is not.”

“Oh, I assure you, it is.”

“It’s the truth baby, don’t try and deny it.”

The drastic roll of Cat’s eyes silenced Justin, as he sat opposite her, trying desperately to keep the smirk off his face. “Listen, honeybunch, the only reason you won is because you made up an entirely new word.”

“Excuse me, grossen is a word.”

Cat slapped her hand to her forehead in frustration. “It is not! You were just trying to be a smartass by taking the triple word score!”

He shrugged and grinned. “That may be true.”

She groaned and stood up, walking to the kitchen to rinse out their glasses. “You’re a cheater, Timberlake!”

“You’re attracted to me, Saunders!”

“You wish,” she retorted, slapping him in the chest before refilling the bowl of nuts and snatching a few pretzels.

“Not what you said last night,” he teased, grasping her hips and pulling her onto his lap.

“No, it’s not. Last night I believe I said, Justin, if you ever wear that JT necklace piece of crap, then we are breaking up.”

“How can you not like that?!” he protested, slipping his arms around her waist.

“Quite easily,” she replied simply.

“You know you love me,” he said, tightening his arms in a hug.

She remained silent, brushing the salt off her hands as Justin dropped a few persuasive kisses on her shoulder.

“Come on, just admit it. I won’t tell anyone,” he whispered into her ear, making her giggle.

“Okay, I guess you win,” she said, rolling her eyes dramatically.

“Then say it,” he teased, biting gently at her earlobe.

“That tickles!” she protested, swatting his face away. “Okay, I, Catherine Grace Saunders, love you, Justin Randall Timberlake.”

“It’s our little secret,” he said, grinning at her before placing a quick kiss on her lips.

She tapped his leg affectionately before jumping off the couch. “I’m just going to call Sean, okay?”

His eyes darkened. “Why?”

“Because he’s my friend and I’m going to wish him a happy new year.”

Groaning, Justin lengthened out on the couch. “Must you?”

“Yes,” she replied from the hallway, dialing the numbers in. “He’s still my friend, no matter how much you hate him.”

“Despise him,” Justin muttered, eagerly listening out to Cat’s half of the conversation as he contemplated picking up the other phone and doing some serious eavesdropping. Just to make sure, of course.

The door opened to reveal a grinning Trace, holding a large bottle of champagne. “To celebrate the new year,” he said happily, placing it down on the table.

Justin nodded and shushed him, still listening to Cat well-wish Sean. Trace rolled his eyes and smacked Justin on the upside of his head.

“Stop being a girl, she’s crazy about you and only you.”

“Do you reckon?” replied Justin, grinning cockily.

“Remember, that is subject to change, Timberlake,” said Cat, re-entering the room, trying her hardest to retain her disapproving scowl.

“So, how long until 2005?” asked Justin, changing the subject as Cat stuck her tongue out at him.

“Um…about four minutes,” answered Trace, pulling back his sleeve to check his watch.

“You know, you guys can go to that party if you want…” began Cat.

“No,” Justin cut her off. “I want to spend New Years with you.”

“But all I plan to do is sit on my ass and be depressed.”

“Then I’ll do it with you,” Justin replied simply.

Rolling her eyes, she turned to Trace. “Honestly, I’m fine on my own. You guys should just go and have a good time.”

He snorted. “Diane said you would say that.”

She shrugged. “I don’t like New Years, and I don’t like clubs. But you guys do, so you should just go.”

“Sweetheart, why don’t you like New Years?” asked Justin, innocently as he poked around the various snacks on the table.

“Because it’s merely a time to reflect upon how crap my life is,” she answered automatically, not pausing to think about it.

Justin stood up and encased her hips with his hands. “Is it really that crap? Or are you just saying that so everyone will think you’re still some tough girl?”

She stared at him, before a sheepish grin broke out over her face. “The latter.”

“That’s what I thought,” he whispered, leaning into touch her lips with his.

“Ugh, man. Do you guys ever stop?” groaned Trace, pausing to throw a smile in their direction, before leaving the room to talk to other guests.

Laughing, Cat pulled away from Justin. “Ready for a very cheesy, over sentimental phrase stolen right out of some high school drama?”

“Hit me with it.”

“I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy,” she admitted happily, her eyes glowing with contentment as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

Justin laughed, and intertwined their fingers. “Me either.”

The sudden loud popping noises from the window caused them both to turn to where the noise was coming from, the explosion of colorful fireworks greeting their eyes.

“Happy New Year.”

“Happy New Year,” she replied, smiling.

“Any regrets?” he asked quietly, staring down at their joined hands.

She raised them to her mouth and planted a kiss on the back of his hand. “Not one.”


Completed
Teeny is the author of 3 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 9 members. Members who liked Crossing Paths also liked 232 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story