I open my eyes and the first thing I notice is the intense pounding in my head. As soon as I sit up, the dizziness and nausea begin, and I quickly come to one simple conclusion.    

I've got a killer hangover.    

Wonderful.    

I move to slide out of bed and that's when I notice the arm draped across my torso. I look to my right and find Max out cold, his mouth hanging wide open, his light snoring echoing throughout the room.    

Normally, a situation like this would be cause for a major freak out. But, the fact that we were both wasted beyond belief last night, and still fully clothed this morning, is a sure sign that nothing happened.    

And honestly, I'm not quite sure how I feel about that.     

On one hand, it's definitely a good thing. Max and I are still in those first stages of getting to know each other, and sex could ruin this potentially really good thing. On the other, I kind of wish we could just do it and get it over with. Max will be gone in a matter of days and the realistic side of me knows that this "relationship" is headed straight for a dead end.     

The biggest problem is, I can easily see myself falling for a guy like Max. But, since I'm such a fuck up when it comes to anything remotely romantic, naturally I just had to go and latch onto the guy who's leaving town in a few days.    

The funny thing though, when I met him, I figured I'd landed myself in the perfect situation. I thought I could get all the physical stuff I've been missing, without the emotional attachment. Obviously, I was wrong.         

Which isn't much of a surprise, really. I'm rarely ever right about anything.    

I should have put much more thought into this whole thing.    

Then of course, there's this Justin nonsense. I really feel like I'm starting to lose my damn mind or something. I've said countless times that I'm not interested in him, so why in the hell did seeing him with Jules bother me so much?    

I'm not usually the jealous type, but that's the only thing that can explain the way I acted last night. I was jealous, and I don't even know why.    

Maybe it's the fact that Jules and Justin could have an actual relationship while I'll be saying good-bye to Max fairly soon. Or maybe, my problem is that Justin's attention is directed elsewhere.    

Every girl likes male attention, and I'm no exception. Sure, Justin was a little extreme and over-bearing, but it was endearing in this really twisted, fucked up way.    

And who knows, maybe if Max hadn't shown up when he did, I may have eventually caved to Justin. There's really no way to tell, and now I guess I'll never know. He's clearly moved on and I'm only making a fool of myself by trying to win back his attention.    

I mean, it's not Jules's fault that I spent so much time rejecting him, so I can't take this out on her. I need to put my jealous, petty, childish bullshit aside and be happy that my best friend has found a guy she seems to really like.     

That's what a good friend would do, and I happen to pride myself on my loyalty as a best friend. It's a role I take pretty seriously and I'm not about to lose my best friend over a stupid boy.    

But, no matter how determined I am to get over whatever the hell my issue is, there's one small detail that still bothers me.    

Why was it so easy for him to turn his interest to Jules?     

I mean, I didn't expect him to follow me around forever, but I didn't think he'd move on, literally over night.    

Maybe the problem isn't the men I get involved with. Maybe it's me.    

Maybe the attitude, cold demeanor, independence and all of the things that I thought made me a strong woman have actually made me impossible to love.    

Max finally stirs beside me and rubs the sleep from his eyes before sitting up and blinking rapidly. He looks around for a few moments before his gaze settles on me, and he offers me a nervous smile.    

"Morning."    

"Yeah." I chuckle awkwardly and run a hand through the tangled mess I call my hair. "You sleep ok?"    

"I wouldn't exactly call it sleeping. So yeah.... I passed out just fine." He laughs and climbs out of bed slowly.     

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that this exchange is a thousand times weirder than the typical "morning after" routine.    

I mean, if we'd actually had sex, he'd be flying out of here right now, and I'd be more concerned with feeling cheap than having to make conversation.    

"So, I was thinking..." He trails off as he slides on his shoes. "What if... what if we went on an actual date? Just you and me. No bar. No friends. No world famous musicians. Just you, me, dinner and a movie."    

"I'd like that." I nod as he adjusts his tie, a wide grin spreading across his face.        

"Alright then, I'll call you this afternoon." He gives me a quick kiss and heads out of my bedroom.    

When I hear the front door shut softly, I can't stop the stupid squeal that escapes.     

Just for today, I'm going to forget about the fact that he's leaving soon, and I'm going to pretend that this "relationship" has the potential to go somewhere and be something really special.    

Reality can come back and kick me in the ass tomorrow.

 

******************    

 

"So, what happened last night?" Cooper asks, doing his best to sound casual, but failing miserably.    

"Wouldn't you like to know." Jules giggles and I miraculously resist the urge to roll my eyes and gag.    

I know I said I was putting all that jealous, petty stuff behind me, but it's proving to be a little more difficult than I thought. But hey, atleast I'm trying, right?    

"Oh come on, you know we kiss and tell around here woman. Spill it." Cooper demands.    

It's times like these that his sexual orientation is so blatantly obvious it's almost comical. Most of the time, he's your average guy, but if you dangle the slightest bit of gossip in front of him, he's like a friggen bloodhound. He won't stop sniffing around until he's gotten a hold of every last detail.    

"So Em, how was your night?" Jules grins, turning the conversation on me.    

This, I can handle. Talking about Max will be much easier than listening to Jules dish on whatever the hell she and Justin did last night.    

"Oh yes, do tell." Cooper smirks before turning back to Jules. "Don't think you're off the hook just because I'm easily distracted. I will find out. Anyway... Emma...."    

"Nothing happened." I shrug and pull at the loose string on my sleeve. "We were both wasted, so we went back to my place and crashed. We're going out tonight though."    

"Oh cool, Justin's coming out with us too." Jules nods and moves to finish unloading the box in front of her.    

"Yeah, ummm... we aren't going to the bar. We're... we're going on a date." I mumble the last part and hang my head, knowing my friends are about to give me some big time shit.    

I know everyone the world over goes on dates, but actually saying it just feels so... juvenile, for some reason. Uttering the phrase "I have a date" makes me feel like I'm back in eleventh grade, bragging about being asked to the prom or something.    

"Well, this is an interesting little development." Cooper arches an eyebrow in my direction and folds his arms over his chest.    

I know that look, and I've got a funny feeling I'm not going to like what I'm about to hear. I'd take being made fun of, over a lecture from Cooper any day.    

"Em... you know I love you, but this has stupid written all over it. The guy is leaving in three days and I sure as hell don't see you flying to Boston every couple weeks to see him. Getting attached now would probably be the dumbest fucking thing you've ever done. You gotta know that sweetie."    

"I do. And, I'm not getting attached." I mutter defiantly. "I just... why is it so wrong for me to spend some time with him? We like hanging out together. What's the big damn deal?"    

"Alright, fine." He holds his hands up in defense and shakes his head. "You're the relationship expert Em. Remind me to never give you advice again."    

"That's not what I'm saying. Look, I appreciate the concern, but I've got it under control."    

"Alright, whatever you say." He shrugs before shooting a look at Jules, who simply nods.    

I'm not getting attached. I'm just having a little fun with a guy who's almost too good looking to be real. He'll be gone in a few days. What's the worst that could happen, honestly?    

I've totally got this under control. Atleast... I think I do.

 

******************    

 

When Max said he wanted the two of us to go on an actual date, I'll admit, I had some expectations. Not necessarily high ones, but there are certain things a girl expects when she's asked on a date.    

I figured he'd whisk me off to a fairly nice restaurant, then we'd go see a movie. Instead, he showed up at my apartment with a bottle of wine, pizza and several DVD's.    

Honestly, it was kind of a pleasant surprise.     

I go out so damn much, the quiet night at home thing is definitely a welcome change. Plus, I get to lay around in my pajamas, and I don't care who you are, that's always fun.    

So, to sum it up... our first real date seems to be going pretty damn good, if I do say so myself.    

The credits on the movie begin to roll and Max clears his throat before looking over at me.    

"Em... I think we need to talk." He says seriously, his eyes locked on mine.    

Shit.    

That statement never leads to anywhere fun.    

"Oh yeah?"    

"Yeah. Listen... I... I haven't been totally honest with you, and it's really starting to bother the hell out of me."    

"Umm... ok." I nod and swallow the large lump that's formed in my throat.    

Great. I finally find a seemingly perfect guy, and he ends up being a liar. With my luck, he's probably married with kids, and has this whole other life in Boston or something. I really know how to pick em, don't I?    

I'm living an episode of fucking 60 Minutes.    

"Yeah... I'm not just here on vacation. My entire trip here was for an interview with a paper. The interview was a couple days ago, and I actually got the job. So, I'm moving to New York. Friday, I'm going back to Boston to get my stuff, and I'll be back in a couple weeks."    

Oh thank you Jesus!    

I was just waiting for him to ask me to become his fifth wife or something.    

"Max... I..." I begin, but I'm quickly cut off by a loud pounding on my front door. "Hold that thought." I mutter and hop off the couch before padding over to the door.     

I swing it open and I don't think anything could stop the frown that's quickly taking up residence on my face.     

You have got to be fucking kidding me.    

"They're all yours." Cooper smirks before pushing Jules and Justin into my apartment, then darting down the hallway.     

The two of them stumble inside, Justin plopping down on the couch next to Max, while Jules ambles down the hallway toward my bedroom.    

Ladies and gentlemen, Cooper Henson is officially a dead man walking.    

"You know... you've got really white fucking teeth." Justin slurs as he studies Max, who's grinning like an idiot.     

I'm glad that atleast he can find amusement in this situation.    

"Comes from good brushing." He chuckles and rolls his eyes. "Well, I think that's my cue. Unless you want me to stay and help..."    

"No, no.. it's fine. Go." I mumble.     

I don't want to deal with these two drunken morons by myself, but I'm not about to subject him to this torture. I mean, I actually like him. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.    

"Alright, well.. I'll call you tomorrow." He smiles and kisses my forehead before letting himself out.     

I don't care how drunk these two are. They have completely ruined my night, and I'm fucking livid, to put it mildly.     

"Happy?" I mutter before throwing a pillow and blanket at him.    

"Fucking ecstatic." Justin grins and gives me the thumbs up. He quickly situates himself on the couch, that shit eating grin never leaving his face. "Em... you shouldn't be getting attached, he's leaving soon you know."    

"That's where you're wrong. He's moving to New York in a couple weeks. And, we were just talking about it before you came barging in here. Thanks a lot jackass."    

"What? No!" He shoots up, a look of panic appearing in his eyes. "He can't fucking move here! That's... that's... that fucks everything up."    

"Excuse me?"    

"He. Cannot. Move. Here." He says slowly and shakes his head. "I was... me and Jules aren't... I was just trying to piss you off, and it was working. He was gonna leave, and you'd want me and..."

Jesus fucking Christ.     

He's a thousand times crazier than I could have ever imagined.     

"I.. I gotta... I gotta go." He mumbles and rises to his feet before stumbling to the door. He jerks it open and staggers down the hallway, leaving me completely dumbfounded.     

I'm surrounded by mental patients. That's all there is to it.     

Justin is fucking insane for coming up with some stupid, hair brained scheme to trick me into wanting him, and Jules is just as crazy for playing along.    

But, there's a small part of me that's kind of flattered by the whole thing.    

Great, I'm just as nuts as they are.  

 

  



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story