Author's Chapter Notes:
oh jeez... two things updated in one night? i must be on some sort of roll. lol. anywho... it's super late, so please forgive any mistakes... i kind of breezed through editing. anywho... enjoy!

    

"You sure you're not mad?"            

"Yes, Jules. I'm sure." I laugh and shake my head. "Now, the part where you guys interrupted a perfectly good date is a whole other story."    

"That was all Coop." She giggles and rolls her eyes. "He totally could have taken us to my place, but he was bound and determined to be a prick."    

"It's cool." I shrug before placing the last pair of jeans on the shelf. "Max already knows you guys are fucking nuts, and he thought the whole thing was quite amusing. Believe it or not, he actually said he likes the fact that I'm so close to my friends."    

"Ah, so we inadvertently scored you some brownie points?" She smirks and nods proudly. "And people think getting plastered and making a fool of yourself always ends badly."    

"The fact that it worked once, doesn't cancel out the other thousand times."    

"You're a real bummer, ya know that?" She chuckles before heading into the backroom.    

I know what you're probably thinking.    

Why the hell am I still speaking to her after the stunt she pulled the other night? The answer is pretty simple actually.    

She's my best friend.    

Sure, it was beyond stupid, but in this cute, overly childish kind of way. And the fact that Max found the whole thing hilarious definitely works in her favor. Although, I didn't tell him the bit about Justin and his idiotic plan.    

A very small part of me is flattered that someone would go to those lengths for me but on the flip side, I'm fairly irritated that he thinks I'm so easy to manipulate. I mean, if I genuinely don't have feelings for him, why would seeing him with my best friend change that?    

Sure, I got a little jealous, but that was more about the attention than wanting to be with Justin. The fact that he seemed to find someone else to harass so quickly just pushed all of my insecurities to the forefront and fucked with my head a bit.    

But, now that I've had a couple days to process the whole thing, I realized that, that was my problem.    

Justin's sudden disinterest in me, and my reaction was just  a reminder that I've still got some major issues with the things that have happened to me in the past regarding the opposite sex.    

But, luckily... my head is now clear, and I'm back to my original stance.    

I do not like Justin.     

And I don't see that changing anytime soon.

 

**********************    

 

"Can we talk?"    

I turn around and the first thing I notice is the big, blue puppy dog eyes and frown being shot at me. I fully intended on telling him to leave me alone, but he just looks so damn pitiful, I don't have the heart to be a bitch tonight.    

"Yeah, what's up?"    

"Well...." He chuckles nervously and bites his lip. I'm quickly realizing this seems to be some type of anxious habit of his.    

It's actually kind of cute that someone so overly cocky can be so visibly nervous every once in awhile.     

"I wanted to apologize for the other night. The whole thing was just... stupid and kind of dick, when you think about it. And don't be mad at Jules and Cooper, I talked them into it, so if you're gonna be pissed at somebody... it should be me."    

"Well Justin... I'm not mad." I nod as a smile breaks out across his face. "But... it was pretty fucking stupid, I'll give you that. I wasn't kidding when I said I wasn't interested, and dating my best friend doesn't change that."    

"So it wasn't jealousy I was sensing?"    

Looks like the arrogance hasn't faded one bit.  You'd think someone who's been through what Justin's had to endure the last couple days would turn the ego down a notch or two, but I guess not.        

"Of course not." I lie. "Look... you're a nice guy, but I just..."    

"I know. You've said it a thousand times. But.. you won't have to say it again. I'm giving up the chase."    

"Good to hear. I think you and I are much better suited for the friends route."        

"Probably." He chuckles and rolls his eyes. "I really am sorry Em..."    

"No harm, no foul." I shrug and take a sip of my drink. "Go find yourself a braindead blonde with huge tits, I'm sure the cheesy pick up lines and fame thing will work on that type."    

"Ouch... that was a low blow, don't ya think?"    

"I call em like I see em."    

"Alrighty then." He laughs and shakes his head. "Well... I'm heading out, guess I'll see you around?"

"Sure."    

"Later." He gives me a small wave and makes his way to the exit.     

Now that was just... weird.     

After what happened the other night, I expected one of two things to happen.     

Either I would never see Justin again, or he'd be right back to the stalking and sexual harassment. I most certainly wasn't expecting him to do the logical thing and finally take no for an answer.    

I'm actually pleasantly surprised at this turn of events, and suddenly, I have a new found respect for the guy.    

Admitting you were wrong and acting like an idiot isn't easy for anyone, and I'm sure it's ten times harder when you have an ego the size of a small continent.     

I will say one thing for him though, whether he's saying the lamest shit known to man, or acting the part of respectable gentleman, Justin never fails to surprise the hell out of me.

 

******************    

 

I'm beginning to think I may have a drinking problem.    

I consume some form of alcohol almost everyday. Granted, not always to the point of intoxication, but I spend every night at a bar and have atleast one drink.    

Does that make you an alcoholic?    

I sure as hell fucking hope not.    

I love my bar way too much to give it up.    

Tonight though, is a drunk night.     

I have the day off tomorrow, I'm bored, and my semi-boyfriend is in another state, gathering his belongings to come here.    

Getting drunk was pretty much my only form of entertainment for the evening.    

I spot Justin at a table with his friends and I meander my way over, bumping into various tables and other patrons.     

I swear, one day I will learn not to drink hard liquor in mass quantities, but today is not that day.     

"Oh shit... Emma, you alright?" Justin laughs as I stumble up to his table and grip the edge of it for support.     

"Peachy keen, jelly bean!" I giggle and plop down in his lap. "Are you alright?"    

"I'm good. Are Jules and Cooper with you?"    

"They were. But, they're boring and they left."    

"Ok... where's Max?"    

"Boston." I pout and fold my arms across my chest.    

It really is unfair that I got an almost perfect week and a half with him before he had to leave. I mean, what if he comes back and the spell is broken or something?    

What if he comes back and realizes there are people in New York much, much cooler and prettier and thinner than myself?    

"So you're alone then?"    

"Yes sir." I salute him and laugh loudly.    

I think I've finally decided what my favorite part about drinking is.     

You can get away with fucking anything.    

I could strip down to my underwear and dance on a table right now, and nobody would judge me for it.    

Why?     

Because I'm fucking annihilated.     

If people were as accepting and open minded about life and other people as they are of drunken idiots, the world would actually be a pretty neat place.     

"I've gotta get her home man. I'll see you tomorrow." Justin says to his friend as he helps me to my feet and quickly guides me to the exit.    

"I don't want to go home." I yank my arm from his grasp and stomp my foot on the pavement, much like a spoiled five year old.     

"People do things they don't want to, every day. C'mon." He grabs my arm again and pulls me toward the street before hailing a cab. He rambles off my address and our ride is spent in complete silence.     

I'm really not sure why he's suddenly gone all good Samaritan and decided to get me home. I'm perfectly capable of getting there by myself, no matter how smashed I am.     

But, this is yet another one of those times he's managed to surprise me.    

On paper, Justin should have blown me off at the bar. He shouldn't have given two shits about me getting home, or my safety. I'm the girl who spent weeks humiliating him, he should be basking in the glory of my stupidity.    

Yet, here he is, doing the nice guy thing and in the process, making me feel and look like the asshole.     

We make our way up to my apartment, Justin catching me each time I stumble on the stairs.  I'm trying as hard as humanly possible to ignore the butterflies that form in my stomach each time his fingers dig into my hips to keep me from falling on my damn face. It isn't the least bit romantic, but each time he touches me, I get that light headed, dizzy feeling and can't stop smiling.    

Or maybe it's the liquor talking.    

After what feels like hours, we finally make it into my apartment and I don't even bother going to my room. I kick off my shoes and collapse onto the couch, fully prepared to sleep this off.    

"You gonna be ok?" Justin asks quietly as he leans over me, searching my face for any sign that I'm about to throw up.    

"I think so. There's a bucket in the kitchen... can you just...."

"I got it." He chuckles. Within seconds, he places the bucket on the floor in front of me and I smile my thanks. "Alright... I'm gonna go, ok?"    

"Mmhm. Thanks Justin."    

"No problem. Get some sleep."    

He turns to leave and against my better judgement, I grab his hand and pull him back. He looks down at me curiously as I wordlessly fist my hand in his shirt, guiding his face toward mine.    

Before I can even comprehend what I'm doing, I press my lips to his. 

 

       



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story