Author's Chapter Notes:
well my dears... this is it. just wanna say thanks to all of you for being so amazing and following this thing despite it's craziness! lol. enjoy!

    

"So, he just walked out?" Cooper asks as he plops down next to me on the couch.    

"Yep." I nod slowly, taking another large bite of my ice cream.        

"Didn't try to talk you out of it or anything?"    

"Not really, no. I tried to tell him I wanted to be friends, but he pretty much just told me to get my shit and leave. Nicer than that of course, but.. you know..."    

"Hate to say it Em, but I really don't blame him."    

"No, I know. I don't either. I don't like it, but I get where he's coming from. If it was me, I probably would have done the same thing. It just... sucks."    

"So what happens now? Obviously, you can't just go running to Justin."    

"Well... I... I don't know." I say simply and shrug.    

The truth is, I really don't know what happens next.    

Yes, I had a plan for all of this, but plans can only take you so far. And it's not like there wasn't any emotion behind breaking up with Max. It hurt like hell, honestly. But, it had to be done.    

It wasn't fair to keep stringing him along when I wasn't feeling the same things he was. I know I did the right thing, but sometimes... the right thing can be the hardest thing. And, as difficult as breaking up with Max was, going to Justin, if I even do it, is going to be a thousand times harder.    

I've got a general idea of what I want to say to him... it's just a matter of timing and actually gathering the nerve to do it.    

The biggest problem is that I haven't got the slightest clue how he'll react. As Cooper and Jules are so fond of reminding me, he could very well be a completely different person now.    

I'd almost guarantee that he moved on ages ago.    

So really, the only thing I can do is suck it up and just go see him. I know there's the potential that he'll laugh in my face but I'd rather suffer that humiliation than go through the rest of my life not knowing.     

I just don't want that kind of regret hanging over my head.

 

*************    

 

I stare up at the massive gray building in front of me and let out the breath I've been holding since I left my apartment.    

I don't know what the fuck I'm doing.    

I shouldn't be here.    

This is wrong on so many levels.    

I mean, what kind of dumb bitch does this? I had my shot with this guy and I passed him over for what I thought was the better choice. And I show up a year later to beg his forgiveness and see if there's still hope?    

I have no right to be here, but I let my own selfishness talk me into it.    

Honestly, I don't even really know what I'm expecting him to say or do.     

Maybe I should just go back home and live with the fact that I was wrong.    

But then again, doesn't Justin deserve to know the truth as much as Max did? If anything... Justin should atleast know that he was right.    

I drag myself out of the car and up to the building. My eyes scan through the names on the mailboxes and I frown when Justin's name seems to be missing.    

Great.    

He's fucking moved and I have no way of getting in touch with him. Just perfect.    

But, I know that I totally deserve this.     

I let out a long sigh and move to retreat to my car but stop when I hear the front door open behind me.    

"Did you need help with something ma'am?"    

"Actually, yeah." I force the best smile I can and nod at the older man. "A friend of mine used to live in this building and it looks like he's moved. You wouldn't happen to have a forwarding address, would you?"    

"We might." He nods. "Who were you looking for?"    

Now this is where things could get a little weird.    

With Justin's celebrity status, I'm sure there's some major security involvement here and I guarantee they won't give his new address to some random girl. Chances are good, this man is going to laugh me clear into next week and tell me to get a fucking life.    

"Justin Timberlake." I reply as cooly as I can.    

Maybe if I act nonchalant enough, I won't get blown off as some obsessed, crazed fan.    

"Oh... I really can't give that information out."    

"I kinda figured." I shrug, hoping the defeat isn't showing too clearly on my face. "I swear.. I'm not stalking him. We're just... we're old friends and I haven't seen him in a long time. But.. thanks anyway." I begin the walk back to my car, muttering to myself the whole way.    

I guess this is karma coming back to me, yet again.      

"Miss.... wait." The doorman calls out to me and I stop again.    

"Yeah?"    

"Let me ring Mr. Timberlake's condo. Your name please?"    

"Emma Walker."     

Alright... now I'm just confused.    

If Justin isn't living in this building anymore, what's the fucking point?    

Unless...    

"Good afternoon Mr. Timberlake." The door man chirps happily into the phone. "I have an Emma Walker here to see you.... yes sir..... yes....alright..... yes sir, I understand." He nods and quickly hangs up. "Miss Walker, you'll want to take the elevator to the ninth floor. Mr. Timberlake is in apartment 120."    

I breathe a sigh of relief and smile gratefully at the older man. "Thank you so much."    

The fact that he's actually willing to see me has to be a good sign, right?    

I quickly take the elevator and it's a matter of minutes before I'm standing in front of apartment 120. I straighten out my shirt and smooth my hair down before knocking softly.    

The knots are forming in my stomach at an alarming rate and I'm pretty sure I'm fairly close to throwing up.    

Jesus... this was a horrible idea.    

But, it's too late to back out now. I'm here and... oh shit, the door's opening.    

Justin appears in the doorway, an awkward smile on his face. Even a blind man could see just how uncomfortable he is.    

"Hi Em... long time, no see."    

"Yeah." I chuckle nervously and nod. "How ya been?"    

"Good. Real good, actually." He nods slowly. "Look... I'm just gonna be honest and not screw around... I really don't get why you're here."    

"I broke up with Max." I blurt out before I can even really think about the words leaving my mouth.    

His eyes widen and he chuckles softly, shaking his head. "Maybe you better come inside."        

I nod and follow him into the apartment, glancing around for any sign that there may be a woman in his life at the moment. So far, nothing.    

I ease down onto the couch beside him and an awkward silence settles over us for several minutes before he finally speaks up.    

"So... did something happen?"    

"Not... not really, no." I sigh and shake my head. "For awhile, it was amazing, ya know? He was exactly what I thought I wanted. But... the more time went by, the more I realized I just didn't feel as strongly about us as he did. So, I ended it." I say simply and shrug. "I just... I finally realized that I made the completely wrong decision last year. And I just... I guess I just wanted you to know, and I wanted to apologize. For everything. I was so awful to you and you really didn't deserve it Justin."    

"Can't say I disagree with that. But honestly Emma, it's been a year. I got over all of that, and you, a long time ago. I'm sorry things didn't work out for ya though, really sucks."    

Did he just say he's over me?    

Fuck!   

Deep down, I knew that was probably the case but I still had this small hope that I'd get the fairytale ending, where he'd welcome me back with open arms.    

Guess that's what I get for thinking.    

But... there's only one way to find out for sure. I mean... maybe he's trying to give me a taste of my own medicine.    

I know, I'm reaching... but... I'm just not quite ready to give up on this.    

I clear my throat and settle my gaze on the floor. There's just no way in hell I can look at him and say this.    

"I... umm... I was... I was kind of hoping that maybe... eventually... I thought... Justin... I still have feelings for you." I finally manage to stutter out. "I know, I tried so hard to blow you off, but I was just so damn scared, I didn't want you to get close enough to hurt me. And, I know.. I know that's so fucking stupid, but I'm an idiot and I just..."    

"Shit Emma.... I..." He begins but stops when a loud knock on the door echoes throughout the apartment. "Hold that thought." He mutters and heads for the door.    

I can hear a distinctly female voice chiding him, while he laughs and bags rustle around. A minute later, a pretty blonde pads into the room and smiles brightly at me, but the only things I can focus on, are the massive rock on her finger and her slightly protruding stomach.    

She places the grocery bags in the kitchen and waddles over to me, that dazzling smile never leaving her face.    

"Hey! I'm Kristen." She stretches her hand out to me and I shake it, still in a daze as the various possibilities of exactly what this means race through my mind.    

"Emma... this is Kristen, my fiance. Kris, this is Emma... she's... she's an old friend."    

"It's so nice to meet you! I was just about to fix dinner, you're more than welcome to stay hun." She smiles warmly at me and my stomach turns.    

"Oh.. umm... I appreciate the offer, but I... gotta go. Yeah.. I gotta go." I nod dumbly. "It was nice meeting you though. Justin... I'll see you around." I grab my purse and make sure to keep my head down as the tears begin to sting my eyes.    

I give them one last half hearted wave before I dart out the door and to the elevator.     

I should have just listened to Jules. She tried to tell me what a shitty idea this was, but I just wouldn't listen. Instead, I forced myself to come here and get hurt.    

But, how the fuck was I supposed to know that he'd get engaged and knock his fiance up within a year?    

I'm just about to slide into my car when I hear my name being called. I look up to see Justin jogging toward me and roll my eyes.    

Fucking perfect.    

I should have figured he'd need some more time to gloat about his happiness. I know I deserve it, but damnit... it fucking hurts.    

"Emma..." He smiles sadly and shakes his head. "I'm really sorry."    

"Why didn't you tell me? Hell... why even agree to see me?"    

"Last time I checked... I don't owe you a God damn thing. And, if somebody you were crazy about showed up after a year, you wouldn't want to hear what they had to say?"    

"Not if I'm engaged and have a baby on the way! Jesus Christ, Justin! Did you forget that shit or something? I just made a complete fool of myself!"    

"Like I did for how many months?" He chuckles and rolls his eyes. "What did you honestly expect? I had no fucking clue why you were here, and forgive me for not starting the conversation with 'oh hi, I'm an engaged father to be, so don't throw yourself at me.' Honestly... I thought you were here to invite me to your fucking wedding or something, since Max was so perfect and shit."    

"I gotta go." I mutter and open the door to the car, but his voice stops me yet again.    

"I really am sorry Emma... if you'd shown up six months ago... this would have had a completely different result."    

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?"    

"Exactly what I said." He shrugs. "She's only about five months along, and we hadn't been together very long when she got pregnant. If... if you'd shown up and said all of this six months ago.. it would have been different. But now.. now there's a baby involved and maybe it wasn't planned or anything... but I'm happy, ya know? This is the kind of life I wanted, and I've finally got it."    

"I get it." I nod slowly, tears now streaming down my cheeks. "She seems great, though."    

As much as it kills me to actually say that, it's the truth. I know if I came home and found some strange woman alone with my fiance, I wouldn't have been anywhere near as nice or welcoming as she was. It seems as though Justin has found himself a woman who actually deserves him and will treat him ten times better than I probably ever could.    

"Yeah, she is." He smiles fondly and shrugs.    

"But.. I... I better go. I shouldn't have come here."    

"It's fine Em. Really. It was good to see you... just wish it didn't have to end like this." He smiles sadly, and I'm doing everything I can to fight back the sobs pulling at the back of my throat.    

"Yeah, well... apparently we can't all live happily ever after."

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
welp, that's it. once again, gotta thank you guys for being super awesome!

Completed
katethegreat is the author of 28 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 19 members. Members who liked Poker Face also liked 655 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story