Author's Chapter Notes:
just cause you guys are awesome... i avoided a bunch of paperwork to write and post this. haha.

"Hey, how's it going?" I turn around, fully prepared to bitch Justin out for the millionth time in the last two weeks, but when my eyes land on the man in front of me, I can't hardly breathe, much less speak.    

He has the clearest blue eyes I think I've ever seen, and my knees turn to jello the second he smiles at me.    

"Not bad. How about you?"    

"I can't complain." He nods slowly and takes a sip of his drink before extending his hand to me. "I'm Max, by the way."    

I shake his hand and smile stupidly. "Emma."    

I know, I'm supposed to be little miss anti-social and against anything romantic, but this man is too gorgeous to ignore. Call me superficial, but I think everybody goes for just looks at some point. Besides, I have no intention of letting this go any farther than a drink or two and maybe a little flirting.     

That's not completely wrong, is it?    

I may be down on love and relationships at this stage in my life, but I do miss the attention and affection sometimes.    

I know, I know, I know... I've been getting an insane amount of attention from Justin, but he's just... he's too eager. And that constantly being up my ass stuff doesn't help his case any either.    

This guy right here though, I can tell that if I blew him off now, he'd move onto the next girl, and I wouldn't be an afterthought. As stupid as it sounds, that's kind of intriguing.     

"So, you from around here?"    

"Yep. Born and raised." I nod, my eyes quickly scanning the bar in search of my friends.    

If I'm lucky, they'll stay at the bar long enough for me to maybe get a phone number I'll never dial and I won't have to listen to them give me shit about blowing off the king of pop, while I'm falling all over myself for an average Joe.    

The fact of the matter is, I just don't like Justin. I mean, I'm sure he's an ok guy, but there's no attraction. He's cocky and pretty annoying actually, and I just... I'm not interested in him. I don't know why that's such a crime.    

This kind of thing happens to people everyday. You fall in love with your best friend, they don't feel the same. You're crazy about the guy who sits across from you at work, you're not his type. Strange guy in a bar asks you out, you turn him down.    

Some people get rejected, some don't. It's a fact of life.    

Honestly, Justin should be glad that I'm shooting him down. A lot of girls probably would have said yes, whether they really liked him or not. You'd think he'd be happy to see someone ignore his fame and money bullshit, and turn him down because of who he is, rather than what he is.    

Frankly, I couldn't care less what he does for a living. It doesn't matter to me if he's a garbage man, or a fucking circus performer. That spark just isn't there and I can't help that.    

The heart wants what it wants, and my heart doesn't want Justin.    

"That's cool." Max nods. "I'm actually on vacation with some friends. I'm just not sure I wanna leave." His laugh is kind of deep and I can't help but smile at the way his eyes light up when he grins at me.    

This guy could get me into some very serious trouble.    

Oh come on Emma! Get a fucking grip!     

I swear, I'm just as bad as a man. I see a pretty face and I immediately start thinking of all the dirty things I could do to him.    

And, just what the hell am I thinking? Number one, I'm pretty strict on my no bar hook-ups rule. Plus, the last time I was swayed by a good looking guy.... well, it wasn't pretty. We'll leave it at that for now.    

But damnit, this one is impossibly gorgeous and has the most adorable smile I've ever seen.     

Oh screw it, whatever happens.... happens.    

I down the rest of my drink and wince at the burning sensation in my throat. I really hate the taste of vodka, but for some reason... I never stop drinking it.    

Apparently, I just never learn.    

"Here, I'll grab ya a refill." Max smiles and grabs my now empty glass before maneuvering his way through the crowd.     

I'm not going to let myself do anything stupid tonight. I don't care how cute he is or what lines he uses. I'm standing my ground.    

I. Am. Not. Going. Home. With Him.    

"Well, well, well.... look who's here." I roll my eyes as Justin plants himself on one of the stools at my table.    

Just when I thought I was in for a fairly peaceful and harassment free evening, he has to pop up. He must be getting pretty good at this stalker routine he's got going. I didn't even know he was here tonight.    

"I'm always here." I mutter and crane my neck to see if Max is on his way back yet.    

"There's a pretty long line up there. He'll probably be gone for awhile." My eyes widen at his statement and he chuckles softly before rolling his eyes. "If you're trying to make me jealous, it's definitely working Em."    

"Oh please." I laugh and shake my head. "Why the hell would I want, or even need, to make you jealous?"    

"I don't know... you tell me."    

"Alright, most people use jealousy as a tool to gain attention. I don't need any more of your attention Justin. Believe me, I've gotten way more than enough already."    

"And you secretly love it. Just admit it."    

"Your ego has it's own zip code, doesn't it?"     

"You kidding? I've got my own area code." He grins and I can't help but laugh along with him.    

Alright... he can make fun of himself. I'll give him credit for that. But, one semi-amusing joke isn't gonna change my mind.    

He's still a jackass.    

"Looks like your boyfriend's coming back." He nods toward the back of the building and sure enough, Max is headed straight for us.    

"Bye Justin." I mutter and smooth out the wrinkles in my skirt.    

"I'm not leaving."    

"Like hell you're not. Get up."    

"Nope."    

"What are you... like four? I said leave."    

"Uh huh." He shakes his head defiantly, his smile growing wider the closer Max gets. "And I'm five, by the way."    

"I fucking hate you." I seethe and turn to greet Max, an excited smile plastered on my face. "Thanks! You didn't have to do that."    

"Ah, it's nothing." He shrugs, his gaze falling on Justin before he extends his hand to him. "Max."    

"Nice to meet ya man. I'm Justin." He nods enthusiastically.     

Is this God's way of punishing me for being mean to Justin? If it is, kudos to the man upstairs, because this is ten kinds of fucked up.    

"You a friend of Emma's?"    

"Something like that." Justin smirks and I roll my eyes at the look of realization that appears on Max's face.    

Great, thanks to Justin and his big fucking mouth, he thinks there's something going on here. Prefect. Fucking wonderful.    

I really, really, really hate Justin.    

"Well Jus... it was nice running into you. Keep in touch, five years really was too long." I smile and gently push him off the stool.     

"Yeah, see you around Em." He mumbles and I can't ignore the hurt in his eyes.    

I am so not a good person.    

And,  I really don't understand what that boy sees in me.     

I just might have to be careful with my rejections of Justin Timberlake. Two weeks ago, it was kind of funny to watch him walk away all defeated, but now... now I just feel guilty after seeing that pained look on his face.    

I can't help wondering if maybe, he's interested in more than a quick lay. And maybe... maybe he isn't like every other guy I've come in contact with.    

But, no matter what kind of guy he is... it doesn't change my feelings.     

If I'm going to get involved with someone, that spark has to be there.    

And, with Justin, it's just.... not.

   

Chapter End Notes:
by the way... put up pictures of how i see max, on the cast page. so check that out if you're interested.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story