Author's Chapter Notes:

Ok... I've gotta thank a few people for some things in this chapter.

Number one: those amazing folks at NBC & SNL for putting Justin Timberlake and Chris Pine on my Tv screen at the same time. Seriously... you guys kinda made my life.

Secondly... a huge, huge, HUGE thanks to Glow& D_Simplicity for (unknowingly) giving me a couple ideas. As I've said before, this story has no real outline or direction, and I'm pretty much just making it up as I go along(and suggestions from you guys in reviews definitely ain't hurting! haha). Anywho... I heart you chicks a whole, whole, whole bunch!

Anywho... enjoy!

    

 

"Will you slow down on the Cuervo? Jesus, woman." Cooper mutters after watching me down my third shot in the last 10 minutes.    

I know I'm acting like a moron, but I can't help it. I'm just so damn nervous.    

Just like I'd planned, I called Max yesterday and he agreed to meet me here, on a date of sorts. I mean technically, it's not a date since Jules and Cooper refuse to leave, but it's close enough to make me anxious.    

Maybe my nerves are a sign that I'm jumping the gun here. It hasn't even been a year since Andrew. Maybe I'm just not ready for all of this yet.    

Oh who the hell am I kidding?    

The whole purpose of this pseudo-date isn't to get into some emotional thing. It's to get laid, plain and simple.    

I know what you're thinking. I've turned into a complete and total hypocrite, believe me... I've been thinking the same exact thing.    

But damnit, I miss the physical stuff and the incident with Justin the other night just proved it.     

It's been two days and I haven't seen him since he high tailed it out of my apartment. If he's been in the bar, he's been hiding himself pretty damn well.    

The weird thing is, not seeing him just doesn't feel right. The best I can figure is that after two and a half weeks of nightly harassment, Justin has become part of my daily routine.    

Wake up. Shower. Dress. Work. Go to bar. Get hit on by king of pop. Reject king of pop. Go home annoyed. Repeat.    

Maybe I've just gotten so used to his irritating antics that two days without them is throwing me off a bit.    

The bad part is, his sudden disappearing act is furthering my assumption that the other night embarrassed the hell out of him. Which is stupid, really. After all the lines he's tried on me, getting drunk and passing out in my apartment shouldn't be a cause for humiliation.         

But as I've said before, I don't really know Justin very well, so I don't know how he deals with stuff like this. But apparently, he's quite partial to the hiding and running away thing.    

All I know is, not seeing him is a little weird. But, I'll survive.    

Atleast without Justin hanging around, I can throw myself at Max with little to no interruption. Which is definitely a good thing.     

I finally spot Max entering the bar and my stomach turns. Oh god... I'm gonna throw up.    

This is so stupid. I mean really, I've asked this guy (whose last name I don't even know), here on the premise of a date when in reality, my main goal is to get into his pants. I really am pathetic.    

"Hey." He grins as he slides onto the stool beside me. He really is far too pretty for his own good.    

Those eyes and that smile are completely swoon worthy and as cold hearted as I may be, I'm no exception to that charm.    

"Hi." Oh Jesus... I'm giggling!    

When the hell did I turn into such a friggen airhead?    

"Max, this is Jules and Cooper. Guys, this is Max." He nods his greeting at the two of them before turning his attention to me, that smile never leaving his face.    

"You wanna grab a drink?"    

"Oh yeah, sure." I nod dumbly and rise from my seat, ignoring the knowing looks and thumbs up my friends give me as soon as Max turns his back.    

Sometimes, I wonder if they know the meaning of the world subtle. With the way they're acting now, it's highly unlikely.    

"So, what's the poison this evening?" Max smirks as he leans into me, his hand resting on the small of my back.    

"Oh... uhh.... umm...." I stutter, unable to ignore the heat surging through my body.    

Either that damn tequila has decided to kick in, or I'm much more attracted to Max than I originally thought. Never in my life has a simple touch shocked my system like that.    

"Whatever's fine." I finally manage  to choke out.     

He's going to think I'm a bumbling idiot by the end of the night, and run screaming in the other direction. I just know it.    

"You sure letting me pick is a good idea? I mean, what if I get you all liquored up and take advantage of you?" He laughs mischievously.     

God, I sure as hell hope so.    

"Well, guess I'll just have to trust you, huh?" I think that's the first semi-intelligible thing I've said in the last five minutes. Progress is a good sign.    

"Looks like it." He chuckles before ordering two beers and handing one to me. "So, you guys come here a lot, huh?"    

"Every night." I nod. "Mostly just to hang out and bullshit. We have no lives." I laugh nervously and roll my eyes at my own stupidity.    

Good one, Walker. Let him think you're a moronic alcoholic with no social life. I'm on a fucking roll tonight folks!    

"That's kinda cool though, ya know? Back home we go to the pool hall a lot. Atleast you've got somewhere to hang out." He smiles and I feel my knees go weak.    

It's really quite sad that this man is able to turn me into a puddle of mush with just one look.    

The really weird thing though, according to Cooper, Justin has that same affect on a majority of the world's female population. But, apparently I'm immune to it.    

Max however, is a completely different story.

 

*********************    

 

"I've never done this before." I mumble against his lips as he backs me into the wall of the elevator.     

"Me either." He replies distractedly, fumbling with the buttons on my blouse.     

Let's list the so very appropriate, derogatory terms that could describe me at this very moment, shall we?    

Slut.    

Hypocrite.    

Liar.     

Manipulator.    

I could probably think of a few more... but there's an impossibly good looking man attempting to undress me while his tongue is shoved half way down my throat. So, I'm just a tad... preoccupied, you could say.     

The elevator dings, signaling our arrival at my floor, and we attempt to collect ourselves the best we can. Although, I'm pretty sure my smeared make-up and jacked up hair are a sure sign that something slightly naughty was going on here.     

But, I really just don't care.    

The doors open, and thankfully.... the hallway is empty. We step off the elevator and head for my door, Max's hands continuing their exploration of my body.    

I know I could probably blame my actions on the alcohol, but I am most definitely not drunk. I guess I just wanted to do something kind of crazy and out of character for me.    

Max is only in the city for another week, so what the hell, right? You only live once, so you may as well take advantage of every opportunity thrown your way.    

However, I don't plan on this whole bar hook-up thing becoming a habit. Max is a special circumstance.     

We turn the corner leading to my apartment and stop dead in our tracks at the sight before us.    

No, no, no.     

This is so not fucking fair!    

I had a plan, and this was certainly not part of it.    

We were supposed to go into my apartment, have insanely hot sex, and forget about each other in the morning. It would have been a very simple, no strings attached kind of deal.    

And now, my whole plan has gone straight to hell, because Justin Timberlake is seated in front of my door, a bouquet of white orchids in his hand. He scrambles to his feet as soon as he spots us, and I don't miss the jealousy that flashes in his eyes.    

"Hey... Justin..." I smile uneasily as Max tightens his hold on my hips and pulls me against him.     

"Hey." He replies flatly, barely even glancing at Max. "I was expecting you to be... alone."    

"I can go on in if you guys need to talk or something..." Max offers, but stops when Justin shoves the flowers into my hands with a roll of his eyes.    

"I was just leaving... see you around, Emma." He mutters and stalks down the hallway without another word.    

Yeah, that wasn't awkward or anything.     

"What the hell was that about?" Max asks, a hint of laughter in his voice.    

"I'm... I'm really not sure."     

Unfortunately, I actually have a slight idea.    

Chances are good, Justin came here to apologize for the other night, which is completely unnecessary. Shit happens, ya know? No need to blow it out of proportion.    

But, when you like someone as much as Justin seems to like me, the smallest infraction can seem earth-shattering. And, I'm sure he's a little hung up on letting himself act like that in front of me.    

Personally, when I'm hooked on somebody, I do every damn thing I can to be as perfect as humanly possible. It's human nature, I think. You want to impress that person. You want them to think you're the most wonderful thing to walk the earth. And when that front fades, you'll do anything you can to put it back up.    

Up to and including, sitting outside their door at three in the morning with flowers.     

Under normal circumstances, I'd probably laugh the whole thing off, and go into work in the morning, telling my friends all about the most recent evidence of Justin's stalking capabilities.     

But, I feel too bad about this to breathe a word of it to anyone. In fact... I think I've just changed my mind about my entire plan for this evening.    

"You probably won't like me very much after I say this... but, umm...."    

"It's all good." Max grins and tucks my tangled hair behind my ear. "There's no need to act all weird and hop in the sack just cause I'm leaving in a week. I get it, ya know? You're a good girl, Emma. And, I happen to think I'm a pretty damn good guy, so we'll just call it a night... cool?"    

"Yeah, cool." I nod.     

"Alright. Then, I'll see you at the bar tomorrow night?"    

"Definitely."

"Cool. Night, Emma." He smiles and gives me a quick kiss before turning and making his way down the hallway.     

If the guilt wasn't eating me alive right now, I'd be envisioning various ways to strangle Justin for ruining my almost perfect night.     

Morals are so fucking overrated.

 

***************    

 

"So you just let him leave?" Cooper practically shrieks and shakes his head. "I know I taught you better than that!"    

"Oh come on... how was I supposed to do anything with him after that? I felt so damn bad!"    

"He cock-blocked you, Em." Cooper sighs sadly and rolls his eyes.     

"Actually... I happen to believe it was fate. Obviously, I was not supposed to turn into some mega-slut and sleep with a guy I don't know." I shrug and take a sip of my water.    

After spending the night tossing and turning, I've decided that I'm completely ok with last night's unexpected turn of events.    

In the back of my mind, I knew it was stupid to take Max home. It's not who I am, and I would have hated myself in the morning. I'm actually pretty thankful that Justin was there.     

Well... ok, I could have done without the awkward exchange, but if it hadn't been for that... Lord only knows what would have happened. So... I'm definitely glad my conscience kicked in when it did.    

The doors to the shop swing open, and I'm sure you can assume who struts in, like he owns the fucking place or something.    

This is only the second time he's been here that I know of, but this time... there's no entourage, or short little buddy to accompany him.     

"Hey Justin... anything I can do for ya?" Cooper smiles and hops off the counter.    

"Nah, not really." He shrugs, not bothering to take his sunglasses off. He looks around the store for several minutes, not so much as even glancing at me.    

"Hi Justin."     

I can only assume that he's come here to shove his anger in my face or something. As far as he knows, I blew off his appearance last night, and went inside with Max and did exactly what I planned on doing.    

I can't explain it, but this small part of me wants him to know just how wrong that assumption is. I guess I just don't want him thinking I'm a bad person or something. Although, I'm not really sure why I give a shit what he thinks.    

"Yeah.. hey." He nods disinterestedly before sauntering off in the other direction. He stops when he reaches Jules, who's on the other side of the building, hanging up the new sun dresses we just got in.     

They talk for awhile, both of them stopping to laugh every few minutes. Now, I know Jules well enough to know what she's doing, and I've got to admit... I'm a little... surprised, I guess is the right word.    

I mean, ok yeah... she's said a few times that she thought he was attractive, even commented on the cuteness of his stalker tendencies.     

But I definitely wasn't expecting her to flirt with him, in front of me no less.     

Finally, Justin breezes out of the store, Jules watching him leave,with this stupid, smitten grin on her face.     

"What the hell was that?" Cooper calls out, breaking her trance.    

"He just asked me out." She giggles. "He's meeting me at the bar tonight."    

What the fucking hell?



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story