Jules and Justin.    

Justin and Jules.    

Is it just me or does that not even sound right? Either way you say it, it just doesn't fit.    

And, he is so completely not even her type. Jules is all about those bad boys. The ones covered in tattoos who drink and smoke entirely too much.    

So, exactly what the fuck is she doing on a date with Justin? It just doesn't make sense.    

I mean, I'm not mad or anything. I've made it perfectly clear that I don't want him, so he's public property. And, Jules is a single girl, more than welcome to date whoever she pleases. I have no say in the matter what so ever.    

It's just far too odd to be ignored.     

Especially when you consider the timing.     

Just last night, I found Justin sitting on my door step with flowers, and tonight he's out with my best friend, acting as if nothing ever happened.     

Am I really that easy to get over?    

As stupid as it sounds, that's a question I've had to ask myself many, many times, and each time, the answer becomes a clearer yes.    

Not that I want Justin to spend his time pining away for me or anything. It's just becoming painfully obvious that the men who claim to like, care about or even love me, seem to move onto someone else pretty damn quickly.    

"Pouting isn't a good look for you, ya know." Cooper smirks as he places a drink in front of me and sits down.    

"I'm not pouting."    

"Right. I'm gay, not stupid Em. I may not understand the male and female dynamic, but I know heartbreak when I see it. And this thing with Jules is making you crazy."    

"No it's not. It's fine, really."    

"Emma... don't lie to me."    

"I'm not. I just... it just got me thinking, you know? Like, why am I so easy to pass on? I date these guys, we break up, and a week later they're fucking engaged or something, and I'm still laying in bed, eating ice cream and crying to my cat."    

"Probably because you date idiots." He chuckles and pats my knee. "Em, I'm gonna do the sappy thing here and tell you that you're gorgeous and amazing and any guy would be lucky to have you. But, you do have your issues. You just need to find somebody who can handle that shit too. And you will... eventually."    

"Why do you have to be gay?" I giggle and roll my eyes. "That's really not fair, you know."    

"Yeah well, I guess the guy upstairs decided I'm just far too incredible to be with women." He shrugs. "Anyway, Jules should be here soon, so cheer the fuck up and be nice."    

"I'm always nice."    

"Sure, and I'm going to marry Clive Owen." He mutters before taking a sip of his drink. "Well, would you look at that? The blue-balled boy toy decided to make an appearance."    

"Cooper!" I shriek and slap his arm roughly. Don't let him fool you, he may be nice most of the time, but he can be a total prick when he wants to be.        

"Damnit Emma, watch the jacket... it's Italian!"    

I swear, sometimes I have no clue why I tell this man anything. I mean, I didn't want to tell him about last night, especially the parts involving Justin, but he has this way of forcing information out of me.     

I love and hate him for it.    

After I gave him every detail of the most awkward night in history, he spent the entire day coming up with creative little nicknames for Max. All of them centered around the term "blue balls." I'm telling you, the man is pure evil. But, I guess that's just a part of his charm.    

It really is a damn shame that he's so set on playing for the other team. He could probably make some girl insanely happy.     

"Hey guys, how we doin?" Max smiles as he takes a seat at our table.    

"Not bad man. You?" Cooper nods.    

"I'm good. Em, you doing alright?"    

"Oh yeah... I'm fine." I force a smile, keeping my eyes glued to the entrance.     

Cooper said Jules was on her way, so what the hell is taking so long?    

"Alright, I'm gonna grab a drink. You guys need anything?"    

The door to the bar opens and Justin strolls inside. It takes a second, but he finally spots us and heads in our direction.    

"I'll come with you." I smile and quickly hop off of my stool, immediately lacing my fingers with Max's.    

We weave our way through the crowd and as soon as we reach the back of the line, he pulls his hand from mine and frowns.    

"You don't have to do this."    

"Do what?"    

"Over compensate for last night. I'm cool with the fact that nothing happened, ok? I like you Emma, I'm not here because I want to get laid before I go back home." His frown finally fades and he gives me a small smile. "Let's just forget about last night, alright? I'm not real good at dealing with this awkward shit."    

Oh, he has absolutely no clue what he's in for. Tonight has the potential to be ten times more awkward than last night, but I'll keep that little bit of information to myself.    

"Sounds good." I nod and grab his hand once again. "It's forgotten."    

"Good. Now, let's get shit faced and see what happens." He grins and wiggles his eyebrows suggestively.    

Maybe forgetting about last night isn't such a bad idea. After all, I seem to be the only one who's still hung up on it.

 

*****************    

 

"I just wanted to find a place to hang out that nobody would know me, and this was it." Justin shrugs and slides his arm around the back of Jules's chair.    

I quickly grab the small glass in front of me and toss the yellowish liquid back, wincing at the burning sensation making it's way down my throat.    

I always promise myself that I'm not going to drink tequila, but sometimes, I just really don't care about breaking the promises I make to myself.    

To put it simply, tequila is my kryptonite.     

A few shots, and that's it. The Emma that everyone knows vanishes and is quickly replaced by this sloppy, stupid, loud, foul mouthed, kind of slutty girl. Sometimes, it's fun. But usually, I just end up making myself look like a jackass.  I'm sure you can assume which of the two will most likely be happening tonight.  

Justin whispers something to Jules and she giggles loudly before they both rise from their seats and disappear into the crowd. I grab the bottle and pour myself another shot and down it quicker than the first.    

Is it just me or is it suddenly really fucking hot in here?    

"You know what... we should go somewhere different. A club or something." Cooper says then takes the last sip of his beer.    

"I'm not drunk enough for that yet." Max shakes his head and takes a shot.    

Justin and Jules return a few minutes later, arms wrapped around each other, laughing at God only knows what.    

Shot number three, down the hatch.    

I slide out of my seat and place myself in Max's lap. I swear, I just saw Justin roll his eyes, but I could be mistaken. After all, I'm on my fourth shot and pretty soon, I'm going to lose the ability to function properly. It really wouldn't be much of a surprise if I'm just seeing shit.    

"I think a club might be kinda fun. I mean, we're always here."    

"Alright, but fair warning... I can't dance."

"Aw, don't worry Max... I'll try not to make you look too bad." Justin grins wickedly.    

"Thanks man, I appreciate it." Max chuckles as we all collect our things and lave the bar.    

It doesn't take long before we find a club, just a few blocks from our usual hang out. Thanks to Justin and his celebrity bullshit, we're immediately ushered inside and to the VIP section, far away from the general public.    

I've got to admit, the special treatment stuff is actually kind of cool. Especially when you're so used to being one of the people waiting in line on the street for hours, only to be told, as soon as you reach the front of the line, that the club has reached it's full capacity and you won't be getting in.    

"Jules, dance?" Cooper asks as he extends his hand to her, and in a flash, the two of them are gone.    

Well, isn't this just fucking swell?    

I'm slightly drunk and trapped in a room with a man, who I'm quickly developing a massive crush on, and another man, who has spend the last few weeks tormenting the hell out of me.    

I think it's time for some more shots.    

"So Max, what do you do?" Justin asks and eyes him carefully, almost as if he's sizing up his competition.    

"I'm a sports columnist for a paper back home. Nothing too special." He shrugs and takes a long gulp of his beer. Luckily, he's just drunk enough to miss the arrogant smirk Justin is shooting my way.    

I don't know why, but I've got this sinking feeling that Justin is about to turn this into some sort of ridiculous pissing contest. It's almost like he's trying to point out all the ways he's better than Max, but I ain't buying it.   

My lack of interest in Justin doesn't have a damn thing to do with his career, financial status or any of the trivial things he seems to think I'm concerned with.    

"Oh yeah? I guess that doesn't really bring in the big bucks, huh?"    

"I do fairly well." Max nods quickly. "I mean, I'm not raking in millions or anything, but I'm not the type to sell my soul for a Ferrari or something."    

I do believe that's one point Max, Justin.... zero.    

I toss back yet another shot and I'm suddenly realizing, I lost count awhile ago. Not a good sign.    

"So, what... making money's a bad thing?" Justin asks with a roll of his eyes. "Like you wouldn't kill for a fucking Ferrari."    

"That's not what I'm saying. It's the way you go about making that money that creates a problem." Max says simply and shrugs. "And no... I wouldn't kill for a Ferrari. Guys with those kinds of cars are obviously trying to make up for smaller things, and I happen to think I'm ok on that front."    

"Right." Justin mutters and rolls his eyes.     

Cooper and Jules finally return and before she even has a chance to move, Justin pulls Jules down onto his lap and locks his arms around her waist.     

Shot number... oh who the hell am I kidding? I'm done even attempting to keep track.    

Suddenly, I'd love nothing more to slap that challenging grin off of his stupid face. But, I don't like to get mad. I'd much rather get even.    

"Ya know, I'm a little tired." I comment, hoping Max is still sober enough to get the hint.     

"Oh yeah?" He grins drunkenly at me. "You wanna get outta here?"    

"That'd be nice, yeah."    

"Alright... one more beer." He nods and flags down our waitress.    

"Yeah, I think we're gonna head out too." Jules says as she and Justin stand up. "Em, Coop... I'll see you guys in the morning." She gives us one last smile as she and Justin make their way to the exit.    

Is she really leaving with him? I mean, seriously?    

Not that I care or anything, but it's just so not Jules.    

But then again, I'm not exactly being myself by running around with Max, so who the hell am I to criticize?    

Jules and Justin are both adults and free to do whatever they damn well please. It's none of mine or anyone else's business.    

But, I'd be a damn liar if I said I wasn't dying to know what they're doing. And I most certainly can't ignore the knots forming in my stomach as the possibilities flash through my mind.    

Looks like round one goes to Justin.

 

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story