Chapter 7.
When you believe.


One Year Later- September 2003.


It was a year since Justin and I had broken up, a year after I had left his house wearing his favourite shirt. And here I was, getting ready to go on stage with Madonna.

Madonna had called me up a few months ago and asked if I wanted to perform with her at that year’s ceremony saying she thought it would be good hype for my new album I was recording. I couldn’t say no, because after all she was Madonna, so I agreed and it was only a few days before the scheduled performance I was told who else would be joining us, Christina Aguilera, my childhood friend from the Mickey Mouse Club who was currently on tour with Justin.

“So, how’ve you been?” Christina asked me as we sat backstage waiting to go on. We hadn’t really talked since we started rehearsals.

“I’ve been okay, thanks,” I said with a small smile. There was a silence between us, and I knew this would be harder than I imagined, we’d been avoiding the Justin topic all weekend. “How’s Justin?”

“He’s okay, he’s here tonight you know,” she said with a smile. I looked at her and nodded, I knew he was there, I had heard it through the grapevine.

“I know,” I whispered and glanced at the stage wondering how he would react to the performance tonight.

“He’ll be surprised, but he’ll be okay with it,” Christina said reading my mind. I looked back at her and smiled.

“Yeah, I was just thinking,” I said softly and she nodded in understanding.

“Well don’t think too much,” she said with a laugh and I smiled, “I didn’t date him you know they were just rumours.” I nodded; I knew now not to trust the tabloids.

“Yeah I know you would never do that,” I said and she nodded before leaning over and giving me a hug.

“You’ve done good Brit, I’m proud of you,” Christina said with a smile.

“Thanks,” I said and thought about what else to say.

“Hey girls you ready?” Madonna’s voice broke our little conversation and we both looked up.

“Yeah we’re ready,” I said softly and Christina grinned.

“Yeah we’re just talking about the dreaded ex,” Christina said with a smile, and Madonna grinned.

“Well then,” she said helping us both up and putting her arms around our shoulders. “He’s going to be one very shocked ex.”


And shocked he was. I was at the after party, standing off to one corner with a very shocked Justin looking at me.

“What the hell Brit?” he asked with shock.

“What the hell what J?” I asked him back with arms crossed over my chest.

“What was that kiss about?” he asked, “That was so not you.”

“Oh and you think you know me?” I replied angrily and he shook his head.

“No, the Britney I knew wouldn’t pull such shit,” he snapped and I rolled my eyes. We hadn’t really talked since that day at his house. “You’re no longer her, I don’t know you.”

“Yeah well that Britney is no more,” I snapped back, “She left when you decided that you didn’t need her anymore.” He glared at me and didn’t say a word, I sighed and rolled my eyes, if this was how he was going to be then I didn’t want to talk anymore. I glared at him one more time then walked away, leaving him staring after me in wonder, it made me feel good and it gave me hope.


When November rolled around, Justin was still upset with me as I was him. It seemed as if we couldn’t leave behind the past.

“So the new tour opens when?” My mother asked, I looked at the new tour manager Frank and sighed.

Frank looked over his notes then looked at us, “Around March, sometime in the spring next year. That good?”

“Yeah it is,” I said as he handed me the notes to look over. “The album’s being released tomorrow so we’ll start the rehearsals early Jan.”

“Do you want to do stadiums? Use dancers?” Frank asked me, and I nodded.

“Let’s do whatever, but I want dancers. Also I want this to be more mature, can you do that?” I asked, “And I want some of the acts that are on the album to do a few shows.”

“That can be arranged,” Frank said taking back his notes and jotting it down. “I’ll call their teams and see what we can do. This is going to be a great tour Brit.” I smiled at him, because I knew for some reason this would change my life forever.


A few days later Frank called me back, and he had great news. He wanted to meet to discuss our options.

“Okay so here’s the deal,” Frank said handing me a sheet of paper. “I thought we should have the tour centered on the Onyx Hotel.”

“Really?” I asked with a raised eyebrow. I’d heard about the hotel, it was a mysterious place that made people’s dreams come true. “I like it.”

“Good, because I was thinking that maybe we could have the stage be set up as mysterious and sexy, sort of like showing the world how much you’ve grown,” he said and I nodded in agreement.

“Yeah I want to show them how mature I am,” I said, “So we call it the Onyx Hotel Tour?”

“Yeah and we’d kick off in San Diego on the 2nd of March, which means you’d have to start auditions for dancers right away then get to work on routines and such by the end of November,” Frank said with a smile and I agreed.

“Okay let’s do it then,” I said, “Oh by the way did you get any one to agree to open up?” Frank looked at me then smiled.

“Yeah we did actually. You know how Kelis is your new fave artist?” Frank asked and I nodded. ‘Well her people have agreed for her to open up for you.” I smiled with excitement, and hugged Frank.

“Oh my God Frank!” I squealed, “Thanks so much!”

“No problems Brit,” he said pulling away. “So how’s the reception to the album?”

“Its great,” I said with a smile, “I think people will like the tour.”

“Me too Brit,” he replied with a grin. “And when we get all the work done for the tour, it’ll be worth it.” I couldn’t agree with him more.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story