AN:well, this is the last chapter. :'( my friend and i are sad to see it end but we had so much fun writing it. he really encouraged me and i had fun bouncing ideas around with him :) . the song Make It Through was written by me.

Nicole looked up, hearing a familiar bass coming from a car on the street. It looked like one she recognized. It was a jeep but she’d recognize the song blasting through the speakers, and the voice of the person, as she got closer to it. It was an upbeat song, definitely set the summery vibe for the coming season. It was a fun song, could possibly be played in a club, but had more of a feel for just driving in your car with the top down.

Walking up to the window of the car, she heard the smooth southern voice ring out. “ Riding in the drop top with the top down
Saw you switchin lanes, girl
Pull up to the red light, lookin right
Come on let me get your name girl
Tell me where your from, What you do, What you like
Let me get your brain, girl
And tell me how they that got that pretty little face
On that pretty little frame girl.”

Nicole smirked at that always being a favorite song of hers and the few onlookers they attracted. She was getting a little uncomfortable by the stares when people recognized them but Justin’s huge smile set her at ease. “You done with that little concert?”

Laughing heartily he climbed out, crossing over to her. “I was driving from the interview, going for lunch, and look who I see walking the same way. That is, if you haven’t eaten yet.”

“No, I haven’t. I’d love to have lunch with you,” she smiled.

Just as they were getting into the jeep, two girls came up to them. They had confused and questioning looks on their faces. “We, uh, heard you singing. Are you – are you Justin Timberlake?”

He would gladly sign something for a fan but today he just wanted to lay low. Smirking, he turned to the passenger in his car. “See, I got it again! I should just pretend I’m Justin.”

“Oh, ok, sorry,” the second girl said. “We just love Justin and since that was his last single, we were wondering when he would do new music.”

‘Apparently they haven’t heard about the interview I just did,’ he thought. He then climbed into the driver’s seat, Nicole cracking up next to him.

“That was kind of mean, ya know.”

“I know, but I didn’t want us to be surrounded without guards and until the interview airs, the fans don’t know I’m doing an album. Or that you and I are working together. Plus, this is our down day. Total stress-free.”

“I’m surprised it hasn’t leaked yet. I mean, someone has to know you're in town.”

“Yeah, right?” Justin pulled to a red light. “I mean, a few people know but Johnny wants this really tight-lipped until we’re done. It’ll be better for your career if we can just surprise people.”

“Yeah, if that’s what they think is best. So, where are we going?”

“Well, I was thinking we could drive around, grab some lunch...”
---
The new duo of the multitalented singer and the upcoming rising star he was teaching, were now done recording. They decided on using Nicole’s demo song as Justin’s last song he needed for his album. It’d be perfect – filled his label’s quota for the record and gave Nicole a stepping stone as previously planned. She had done her very first photoshoot. Granted she was nervous but Justin was there coaching her and it went great!

They were now coming to the homestretch before Justin’s album release party. They were in soundcheck, planning that Nicole would sing her song at the party. They were awesome, of course.

“That was good, you're going to rock that party,” he told her.

“Haha, yeah, that’s because there’s no people. Did I mention I have stage fright?”

He chuckled. “Yeah, but it’s ok. All your friends will be right there, you'll be fine. Just remember to breathe and the rest will come naturally.”

Suddenly Rachael, Johnny, and a few other management came running through the double doors. Johnny carried a cardboard box and a wide smile. He pulled out a CD case and handed it to them. “What's that?” Nicole asked, peering over the six-foot tall man’s arm from her 5”1’ height. He tipped it and she saw him on the cover, the CD being his new album. “It’s finished, that’s great!”

He smiled and half-hugged her with one arm. The cover and booklet were amazing, he looked so handsome. Some of him serious, decked out in William Rast; some of him just chilling in a hoodie or t-shirt and laughing. He flipped it over and pointed out the small words at the bottom. ‘Bonus Track: Make it Through ft. Nicole Alexandra.’

“What?! Why’d they put me on there?!” she cried out in surprise.

“Well, you did help write it and it is mainly your song. J just did backup,” Johnny answered.

“Yeah, and remember what I said when you auditioned for the foundation?” Justin continued. “This is your stepping stone should you want to continue in music.”

“But...wow...” Yup, she was definitely shocked.

“I take it she likes it,” Rachael laughed.
---
ALBUM RELEASE PARTY Justin watched as the nervous girl rocked on the couch in front of him. They were in the dressing room backstage. It was a steady rocking as she wrung her hands. Her crutches lay beside her, forgotten. He sighed, remembering his first performance; he used to be as nervous as she was now.

He kneeled in front of her, trying to catch her gaze. “Hey, look at me. I know this can be nerve-wracking but you've got an amazing voice. You worked so hard to get here, you can't give up now.”

“I don't know if I can, Justin,” she whispered.

“I know you can. And I’ll be right beside you.” He gave her a genuine smile as he heard their call.

“Come on, guys!” Rachael called from the doorway.

Justin helped the young girl up and walked with her to the side of the stage. “Thank you all for coming out tonight for the record release of the rightfully called “Soul Music” by Justin Timberlake!”

The crowd whistled and clapped and Justin felt Nicole shake as he whispered encouraging words.

“And introducing a new artist he’s been working with through the Justin Timberlake Foundation, Nicole Alexandra!”

He led her onstage, sitting on the stools as the lights dimmed. Both of them took a deep breath  as the music started.

Justin: Red roses and candy hearts
That’s where the sweetest of my love starts.
Sweet smiles and soft words,
Your voice can be heard over the crowd.
It singles out and catches my attention,
Leaves me hanging in suspension.
The beat flows through me as you draw near,
I hear the words you whisper in my ear.
I whisper back everything you want to hear
And it takes away all your fear.
Baby Girl, I can see it in your eyes,
So much deep inside.

Chorus: Side by side, we'll conquer it all
Side by side, we gave it all
Everlasting, forever, never-ending
On you my heart is depending.
Oh, side by side, we’ll make it through,
Side by side me and you.
Struggles, confusion, then love anew.

Nicole: You swooped in,
Took my heart within.
I know you'll keep it safe,
That you're love for me will always remain the same.
As for you, my return will be too,
‘Cause sweet boy, my love is truest of true.
I hear your heartbeat speed up to match mine,
We meet in the center of the dance line.

Oh, the club lights disappear.
It’s a new door we enter.
Oh, look into your eyes.
Join our hearts forever now.

Chorus: Side by side, we'll conquer it all
Side by side, we gave it all
Everlasting, forever, never-ending
On you my heart is depending.
Oh, side by side, we’ll make it through,
Side by side me and you.
Struggles, confusion, then love anew.

Oh, side by side, we’ll make it...through.

The crowd went wild, literally on their feet and cheering. Breathing heavily, Justin and Nicole walked offstage and she nearly toppled him with excitement. “That was so cool! Oh my, God I can't believe they liked it!”

Not saying anything, he leaned in, lips gently touching hers. Her eyes widened before she melted into the kiss. Pulling back, their foreheads rested together. Just looking into the other’s eyes, they could see into the other’s soul. Kissing the corner of her mouth, he smiled, finally finding the music his soul needed.

THE END

Completed
MrsTimberlake18 is the author of 41 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Soul Music - revised copy also liked 227 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story