ULTRAVIOLET NIGHT CLUB Justin stormed through the entrance, guards following. Trace was waiting with the car. The young man pushed through the crowd and to the bar. His heart dropped as he heard her laugh ring out and saw that same creep from the other night leaning over her. Nate’s mouth was by Haley’s ear and said something Justin couldn’t hear. But when her body tensed, some flicker of fear breaking through the haze in her eyes, Justin’s blood boiled.

“Get off of her!” he roared, storming over. “Haley, are you ok?”

“I got here first, man,” Nate sneered.

“I believe the lady said to leave her alone,” Eric, their guard, spoke and came up behind the evil man.

Nate scoffed, roughly letting go of the girl’s arm. Trying not to create further commotion, but also figuring out what happened, Justin leaned into Haley. His right hand rested on her shoulder while his left moved her hair; her head resting on the countertop. “Hales, Baby, can you hear me? Why are you so drunk, what caused this?”

She wearily lifted her head, mumbling something. “Heeeey, Jus!! I – I – was hoping you’d come. Have you tried this?” She thrust the shot glass in his face, the strong smell hitting his nose.

Taking it and handing it to the bartender he answered, “why are you here?”

Suddenly Greg and Sammy appeared. “Chill man, she just came to cool off from work. Everyone needs downtime.”

“You of all people should know she shouldn’t drink so much. This could hurt her!” he scolded. “Why didn’t you stop her?” What were they thinking? They’d known her longer than he did, they should know the damage this could do to her body.

Without letting the drunken friends answer, Justin scooped Haley into his arms and let Eric lead them out of the club. They exited the back door, hoping to escape paparazzi. He knew it’d get out someway but didn’t want her to be worried by it right now.

Climbing into the backseat of his black Cadillac Escalade with his girlfriend still his grasp, Justin looked towards Trace who had a questioning stare in the rearview mirror. Justin shook his head, signaling he’d explain later. Then taking a bottle of water from his pocket and propping Haley up, he tried to get her to drink some.

She was in and out of consciousness due to the alcohol. The bartender had said only a few shots were served but knowing Haley was a lightweight, had health problems, and a low immunity, it hit her faster. She’d have the effects tomorrow twice as bad as anyone would. He sighed heavily, running a hand over his face.
---
BACK AT JUSTIN’S HOUSE, it was the next morning before Haley started thinking clearly. She woke in his bed but his side was empty, indicating he’d been up for some time. Her watch beeped, 8am and she knew she had to be up for work. Groaning she got dressed into clean clothes he had laid out and into her wheelchair next to the bed. She caught on to his idea that she shouldn’t try her balance with a hangover.

Rolling through to the kitchen, she found him sitting atop the counter. He was still in an orange t-shirt and khaki shorts; clutching a coffee cup. She guessed he couldn’t have been up much longer than her though judging on the tiredness of his features. She lay her head on the table, the pounding of her skull increasing with every movement.

A few moments later, Haley felt Justin’s hand rubbing her back, the other setting a glass of water and three ibuprofen in front of her. She looked up at him, concern spreading through his blue eyes. They were normally a piercing blue but now they were vibrant. Boring into her and held depths of question, worry, and love. Flashes of last night passed through her mind.

Him carrying her into the house. Telling Trace that he couldn’t believe this had happened.

Things were fuzzy from her drunken state but she could remember what he did.

Holding her hair back as she rid of the alcohol Keeping her drinking water every hour and hydrated. Holding her comfortingly while her body gave out and she fell asleep.

She certainly didn’t want to worry nor burden her boyfriend, she just wanted to forget everything for a night. “This should help with the pain today,” he spoke about the medicine. “You can't take more than that ‘til tomorrow though.”

“Thanks,” she whispered. “Jus, I’m really sorry for last night. I didn’t mean to do that.”

“Did they make you drink it?” he asked, staring at his hands.

“No.”

“Did you feel better after doing it?”

“No, I feel horrible.”

“Then why did you? You could’ve told Greg and Sammy you didn’t want it. You could’ve talked to me.” His eyes and voice held so much pain despite speaking in a low voice.

“I just wanted to forget about everything for a night. I wanted some fun. I was stressed.”

“About what? Huh? I understand stress, believe me I know with my lifestyle, but WHY did you drink so much to make yourself sick?! What was so bad you couldn’t talk to me?!”

“I don't know, Justin! I just – I didn’t want to worry about anything. I’m sorry, ok? I never meant to go overboard.”

“I’m trying to help you here! I get if you're not ready to tell me what’s going on, but you can't do this. You hate getting drunk, HATE it. So why would you want to make yourself feel like that?” The young man took a breath to calm himself. He didn’t intend to fight with the girl he loved but this didn’t make any sense.

“All I’m saying is that you know the health risks you have and they’re a lot worse than most people because of your low immunity and the way your body reacts. You could’ve seriously hurt yourself and that would’ve killed me.”

“I’m sorry.” She lowered her gaze as he took her hands in his and kneeled in front of her.

“I’m just upset you wont tell me what's going on. And last night was supposed to be our night to celebrate. I got the Shriner’s tournament and wanted to share the good news with you. I can't worry that something’s wrong when I have to focus.”

Haley’s head flew up, sudden anger coursing through her. “God, everything has to be about you, doesn’t it? My whole life revolves around your schedule now!” She pulled away, wheeling towards the door and grabbing her coat.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa. What?” Justin asked completely confused. “Where’s this coming from, Hales?”

“Nothing, nothing. I have to go.” And with that she was gone.
Chapter End Notes:
AN: next chapter will probably be the last so if anyone wants to help gather ideas for the next story, please send me a message


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: williamrast