Author's Chapter Notes:
Another short and sweet chapter, but get's the job down. :)

Three weeks went by and everything was back to normal. Cole had all but disappeared from the earth, Andy and Justin went back to the way things were supposed to be. No more stolen kisses, no more drunken nights together.

 

Today was going to be hell on earth for everyone. Justin’s in-laws were back in town, and wanted to see the kids without all the people there. The less people, the less drama. Justin had insisted Andy stayed, as he figured they all owed her an apology.

 

There was no preparing anything; they were coming at 10:00 AM, too late for breakfast, too early for lunch.

 

Andy and Justin were sitting on the couch, the TV turned on but neither really watching it. They were both off in their own worlds, both beyond nervous of how this was going to turn out.

 

The door bell rang at 10 on the dot and Andy turned to Justin. “I guess it’s time.”

 

“Yeah,” he whispered and went to answer it.

 

He opened the door to two completely looking people than were at Alex’s birthday party. They were in jeans, normal casual clothes instead of looking like they should be at a country club.

 

“Hi,” Justin said nervously, letting them in.

 

“Hello,” Regina said in a monotone voice.

 

Justin showed them into the living room, to where Andy was with the kids. She looked up from playing with Emma, and the smile slowly faded from her face. “Hi.”

 

“Hello Andy,” they both said and sat on the couch opposite of her, watching her with Emma.

 

Justin sat next to Andy and Alex climbed in his lap, lying on his chest. “You wanted to talk, let’s talk.”

 

“Justin, we just wanted to apologize about Alex’s birthday. Everything happened so fast and everyone lost their tempers. It wasn’t fair to him,” Steven started.

 

“You didn’t have to show up at all. I didn’t expect you to.”

 

“We wanted to. We wanted to see the kids. You are doing great with them,” Steven admitted, swallowing hard.

 

Regina looked at Andy, almost glaring at her. “I’m sure she’s helped you out a lot.”

 

“She has, more than anyone. Kind of became my best friend next to her brother,” Justin said, looking at Andy and smiling.

 

That’s when Regina asked it. “Are you going back to school soon?”

 

Andy’s mouth opened, not sure what to say. “Um, no not this year.”

 

“Why not? You’ll never get anywhere with out proper schooling.”

 

Andy laughed. “I am perfectly fine with where I am now.”

 

“I’m sure you are. For now. What about when you are older? You don’t want to be with your parents forever or living at someone else’s house.”

 

Justin spoke up. “She’s welcome here anytime, for any reason.”

”What about when the kids start school? Then what are you going to do?”

Justin rolled his eyes as Andy defended herself. “Then maybe I’ll sign up for some classes at the community college around their school schedule.”

”Wouldn’t that be their father’s job?”

 

Andy stood up. “Look lady, I don’t have to explain myself to you, you are nobody to me. I am not going to school right now, these kids are more important to me than any schooling will ever be.”

 

Regina cleared her throat, looking at Steven. Then he spoke up. “We’re just worried about what kind of influence you being around them so much will have. Alex has already called you mom, what about when they start thinking you really are their mother.”

 

“Well, the way I see it, they need a mother figure, every child does. If they think that, then I’ll just have to explain I’m not their real mother but I love them and take care of them since she is gone.”

 

Steven looked at Justin. “You’re ok with that?”

 

“Why wouldn’t I be?”

 

“What about Nicole? She is their mother, they should know that.”

”Nicole is dead Steven! I can’t bring her back anymore than you can. I loved her more than the air I breathed. She isn’t here to raise her kids, Andy loves them and they love her. I’d rather them have someone like her around than being in a day care with numerous people that treat them as a job instead of kids. If they want to call her mom, then I don’t care. When they’re old enough I’ll tell them about Nicole, but until then, what is so wrong with letting them be normal kids?”

 

Steven sank back on the couch, speechless. He looked at Andy, eyes narrowing at her. “Why?”

”Why what?” she growled.

 

“Why are you doing this to these kids? Why not let them just have their father and memory of their mother with no interference?”

 

Andy gawked at him, her mouth dropping open. “Are you serious? Look around you. Your daughter is not here anymore! I am not doing anything but helping with these kids.”

 

“You’re going to confuse them!”

 

Justin stood up and walked over to the older couple and got in their faces. “This is the way it is; your opinions are not going to change it. I love Andy being around these kids, and I’m grateful for her help. Unlike you, she cares about them, and damn it, me too. She calls to check on them when she’s not here, she calls to check on me when I’ve had a bad day or night. What have you done? Not a damn thing but snub your grandkids. If you don’t like it, the door is over there.”

 

Andy smiled, happy Justin had finally stood up for himself. She leaned down and quickly kissing Emma’s head.

 

“You’d rather that girl be around your kids than us? Is that what you’re saying?”

 

“Damn right that’s what I’m saying.”

 

The older couple stood up. “I’m sorry you feel that way. I hope you make it without any help from us.”

 

“I’ve made it this long, I’m sure I’ll be fine. I don’t have to worry about anymore drama now or someone trying to make me feel like shit anymore is the only difference.”

 

Regina and Steven quickly left, slamming the door behind them. Andy looked at Justin, a huge smile plastered on her face. “I’m proud of you.”

 

He smiled and walked over to her, pulling her off the couch. He quickly hugged her, her giggling. “Thank you.”

 

Alex stumbled over to them and latched on to each of their legs, laughing. Emma was sitting in her swing, cooing and babbling baby talk. “I think you’re kids are proud of you too.”

 

He glanced from each of his kids, then back to Andy. He had more of a family sense with her being around than he had ever had with Nicole, even with her being Alex and Emma’s real mother. He only wished he could make it that way permanently.

 

Andy quickly pulled back before her urge to kiss him took full effect and smiled at him. “I need to get going. My mom is waiting on me to go shopping with her.”

 

“Ok. Thank you for today.”

 

“No problem. I’ll see you later tonight, 9:00 right?”

 

“Yes ma am”

 

“Ok. I’ll see you then. Bye guys.”

 

Justin watched her leave then sat down with his kids. “One of these days guys. I promise one of these days she’ll be here and not leave. She’ll be with us forever.” And he quickly kissed each of them before he got them ready for their naps.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story