Author's Chapter Notes:
This is the second time I've tried to do this, it said there was an error last night and everything was gone :( So hopefully it works this time!

“Daddy, this graduation party rocks!” Andy squealed to her father and quickly hugged him.

 

All of their family and friends were at their home to celebrate Andy graduating high school. The quaint two-story brick house nestled on two acres of land with an in-ground pool had people everywhere. The three car garaged, which housed her mother’s Lexus, her father’s BMW and the ’69 Camaro her brother was restoring, and the one mile long drive way was littered with cars and the garage blocked in. The ’99 Mustang Andy got for her seventeenth birthday was parked on the side of the garage as there was no way for her to park it in the garage.

 

“Good, honey, I’m glad you like it. Your brother should be here soon, he got off almost an hour ago,” Arthur said, quickly glancing at his watch.

 

Andy and her brother were very close, even with their nine year age difference. She had a huge fit when he announced to the family he wanted to go in the law enforcement field as an officer like their father.


”I can’t wait!” she chirped, the ran off in her tiny bikini to dance with some of her friends.

 

Not too long after that, Arthur heard the sliding glass door open and saw his son walk out, carrying a child on his hip. Behind him was his son’s best friend and one of his best officers, carrying an infant seat and two diaper bags.

 

“Viv, Justin’s here with the kids,” Arthur announced turning to his wife who was sitting next to him.


She squealed as the boys made their way over to them.

”Hey dad,” Jason greeted his dad, handing over the little boy he was carrying.

 

“Hi boys! Let me see this darling baby,” Vivian said and took the infant seat from Justin. She knelt down next to the seat on the grassy lawn, and pulled the fuzzy blanket back some, revealing the beautiful baby girl nestled cozily, sound asleep. “Oh, Justin, she is beautiful.”

 

“Yeah, but she’s killing me with the being stubborn and not wanting to sleep more than an hour or two. Thanks for watching them by the way. I think getting back to work will do me some good. It’s been nine days, I think I’m ready.”

 

“Oh I bet. I told you, honey, anytime you need a sitter on a Friday or Saturday night bring them on over.”

 

“Thanks. I need to find a full time sitter or nanny or something. With my crazy hours I don’t know what else to do except quit and do something else, which I really don’t want to do.”

 

Vivian hugged him, totally catching him off guard. “It’ll all work out Justin. There’s at least 100 old retired women in the town that would love to watch these darling kids.”

Justin rolled his eyes and chuckled. “I’m sure. But, I need someone that I can trust and all that.”

”I know. I’ll talk to a few people at work Monday and see what I can come up with.”

”Thanks Viv. I gotta get going, call if you need anything.” He quickly gave his kids a kiss and walked off around the house, heading back to his car.

 

“How’s he really doing Jas?” Arthur asked once Justin was gone.

 

“He’s a mess. He doesn’t totally know what he’s doing with the kids and it freaks him out. He hasn’t slept much. As for the Nicole part, he hasn’t said anything other than her parents aren’t much help and don’t want to watch the kids. Two days after her funeral they took off to France for a vacation.”

“Maybe work will help him move on better.”

 

Vivian’s head shot up, a huge smile on her face just then. “Hey guys, maybe Andy would do it. I don’t think she’s doing anything this summer.”

“She may, I can see her doing it. Ask her about it tomorrow though, Viv. Don’t ruin her party by asking her if she’ll baby sit for a guy she’s never really met.”

 

~~

 

Andy came strolling in the living room to her mom shortly after midnight, bags under her eyes and yawning.


”Everyone is finally gone” she said and sighed, the saw what her mom was doing. “Aww, look at the baby!” She hurried over to the black leather couch where her mom was sitting trying to feed the tiny, fussy baby.


”She’s not wanting to take her bottle,” her mom said, aggravation apparent in her voice.

 

“Let me try.” Andy took the small baby and laid her on her lap, the baby’s head resting almost on her knees, the feet on Andy’s stomach. She held the bottle to the baby’s lips and she immediately took it. “What’s her name?”

 

“Emma.”

 

“She’s a doll. Whose is she? Where’s mom and dad?”

 

Vivian sighed, trying to figure out a short version of what happened to tell her daughter. Death was a sensitive subject for Andy.

 

“Your brothers best friend and father’s employee. Her mother died shortly after she was born from heart problems. There is also a nine month old little boy who is asleep in me and your father’s room.”

 

Andy’s jaw dropped, her eyes wide looking at her mom. “That is so sad! How’s he doing?”

 

“Well, I think he’s doing ok all things considered. He’s going to need help with the kids with his crazy work schedule and everything.”

 

Andy looked back down at the baby. “I’ll do it,” she said easily and shrugged.

 

“Andy,” her mom sighed, “that’s a nice offer, but think real hard about it. I think you would be great at it, but these are young children. They will be up all hours of the night, demand constant attention and affection. Plus dealing with Justin and all his emotions of everything.”

 

“Mom, come on. You know I love kids. I don’t have anything going on this summer, it won’t be a big deal. Dealing with Justin, well…I kind of know how he feels. Maybe I’d be a help for him in a way.”

 

Vivian sighed, knowing her daughter was right. They had quite a few things in common that would help them in dealing with past events. “I’ll tell him in the morning when he comes to pick them up then.”

 

~~
~~

 

“Andy, wake up,” she heard as she came out of her state of sound sleep. She groaned and rolled over, pulling her pink and purple quilt tighter around her shoulders. “Get up Andy. Justin will be here soon.”

 

“So!” she groaned, trying to go back to sleep.

 

“If you’re going to baby sit the man’s kids, don’t you think you need to at least meet him first?”

 

Andy groaned out a ‘fine’ and her mom walked out of her room. She slowly rolled out of bed and adjusted the tank top and yoga pants she wore as pajamas. She threw her gorgeous hair up into a messy bun, and wiped the sleep out of her blue eyes, then walked out of her room to venture downstairs.

 

There was a little boy crawling all around their living room, stopping now and then to mess with something on the floor or close to it.

 

“Aww! Alex is adorable too!” she cooed to the baby, picking him up.


”Here’s his bottle” Vivian snapped, shoving a bottle in Andy’s face.

 

Andy plopped down on the floor in front of the TV and laid Alex across her legs and gave him his bottle, which he held by himself. She turned the TV on and found a program about Italy to watch.

 

Visiting Italy was her life long dream, and she was convinced one day she would make it a reality.

 

Suddenly there was a knock on the door. Vivian turned to smile at her daughter before rushing to answer it.

 

“Hey Justin” she heard her mom greet and was followed by footsteps toward where she was sitting.

 

Andy turned as they walked into the family room and was face to face with a gorgeous man with even more gorgeous blue eyes, dressed in his black police officers uniform.

 

Justin saw the beautiful girl sitting on the floor, his son lying on her lap drinking a bottle. When she smiled at the boy, Justin felt an emotion hit him. It wasn’t one he’d felt in a long time and he couldn’t put a name to it.

 

“Andy, this is Justin. Justin this is my baby girl Andrea. Or Andy.”

 

“Hi,” they both said at the same time and smiled at each other.

 

She’s got one of the knee weakening smiles, great Justin thought to himself while looking at her.

 

“So, Justin, I was telling Andy last night about how you need a sitter for when you work. She said she would do it and has nothing planned this summer so the crazy hours wouldn’t be a problem.

 

“Really?” he asked in disbelief. “They’re a handful and neither likes to sleep much.”

 

She laughed. “That’s ok. I love kids, and it’ll keep me busy this summer.” She looked down at Alex. “We don’t mind messy, fussy babies at all do we?” she cooed to the baby, making him laugh.

 

“Well thank you then, Andy.”

 

“Not a problem at all.” As she smiled at him, he felt the nameless emotion come over him again.

 

“Well kids, let’s go get some breakfast and talk about arrangements then,” Vivian said, and walked in the kitchen.

 

“Want me to get him?” Justin asked walking over to Andy to get Alex.

 

“I got him,” she smiled and followed her mom into the kitchen.

 

They sat at the breakfast bar and Vivian served them pancakes. Justin grabbed a cup of coffee as Andy got a small bottle of apple juice out of the refrigerator.

 

“So what’s your schedule like Justin?” Andy asked as he took a drink of coffee.

 

“I go in tomorrow at 4 pm. I get off at 3 the next morning.”

 

Vivian stood on the other side of the breakfast bar. “I don’t know how comfortable you’d be with it, but it’d probably be easier on the kids if Andy were at your house.”

 

“I don’t have a problem with it at all,” he said then turned to Andy. “I’ll get the guest room cleaned out for you and throw a TV in there with cable so you have a place to crash until I get home. It’s closer to the kid’s room than the couch is too.”

 

“I can stay until around nine or so if you want. So you can get some sleep without having to worry about the kids.”

 

“You don’t have to Andy. I’m sure you’ll have stuff you’ll want to get done.”

”It’ll be fine. I can plan around it all, the kids come first.”

 

“Well ok then. How much a week should I pay ya? Is $200 good?”

 

She looked at him a smiled. “Nothing.”

 

“What?” Justin and Vivian both asked in total amazement.

 

“You don’t have to pay me. It’s a favor to you, I’m just trying to help out. Just make sure you leave some cash once or twice a week so I can get groceries and the kid’s diapers and whatever else they need.”

 

Justin looked at her is shock. “Th-thanks Andy,” he stuttered out.

 

Just then, Jason came skipping down stairs in his police academy sweatpants and t-shirt, ready for his morning run. When Alex saw him, he want crazy and started his baby babbling.

 

“Hey little man. Come see Uncle Jason,” he grinned, taking Alex from Andy.

 

“Hey Jas, when are you going to find a gal and have a couple of those so I can be an aunt?” Andy asked with a smart ass attitude.

 

“Why would I do that and have you around my kids?” he shot back with a cocky smile.

 

“Hey now, that’s my new babysitter. Don’t make me have to worry about my kids all the time while I’m at work” Justin spoke up, completely serious.

 

“I’m just giving her shit, man. Andy is great with kids and they always seem to like her annoying little ass for some reason.”

 

That caused Vivian and Justin to laugh, Andy to glare at her brother.

 

“I’m gonna get going. Come by tomorrow around one or so to get everything all situated and comfortable. I’ll get the guest room ready tonight.”

 

“I’ll be there. Here’s my cell number. Don’t be afraid to call before then if you need any help or anything.”

 

Justin quickly took out his cell phone and programmed Andy’s number in it and gave her his cell number.

 

“Do you know how to give sponge baths?” he asked skeptically.

 

“For Emma?”

 

“No for me. Of course for her,” he said and laughed, making her smile.

 

“I’m sure I can figure it out.”

 

“She needs one and I haven’t been gutsy enough to try and figure it out.”

 

Andy smiled at his uneasiness of the whole situation, thinking it was actually kind of cute. ”I’ll come over early and we can figure it out.”

 

“You’re awesome Andy. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

He gathered up the kids and their belongings, said goodbyes and they left.

 

“Someone’s got the hots for my friend,” Jason mumbled as he took a drink of coffee.

 

Vivian gave him a warning glare as Andy got offensive. “I do not! I’m just trying to help the poor guy out, I feel bad for him.”

 

“His wife just died so I doubt you’d get anywhere anyways.”

”Jason, shut up! That’s why I offered to baby sit and told him to call anytime he needed to. It’s got to be hard.”

 

Jason sighed and dropped it as the him and Andy finished their breakfast.

 

“So what are the plans today ladies? I don’t have to be at work until midnight.”

 

“I have some shopping to do this afternoon,” Vivian said as she got up to clean up the breakfast dishes.

 

“I have a date with the pool!” Andy announced and disappeared upstairs.

 

Jason turned to look at their mom. “I really hope she doesn’t think-“

 

Vivian cut him off before he could even finish, knowing what he was getting at. “Jason, give your sister some credit here. I know you’re playing the big brother and protective best friend, but let it go. She is babysitting for the guy, not jumping in bed with him. If something is going to happen to them, then it’s going to with or with out you there. They’re both adults, and if there is something there, then they both deserve some happiness after everything they have been through.”

 

“Ok mom, if you say so. I just don’t want to see either one heart broken. I couldn’t let either one go through that after what they have in the past.”

 

“I know honey, but it’s something they’ll have to figure out on their own. If anything happens, there’s a good chance nothing will. We’ll just have to wait and see.”

 

Jason knew his best friend and his little sister and knew they’d both be too stubborn  to admit anything even if anything did eventually happen. He also knew, despite their past, they both wanted to find their soul mate one of these days.

 

“I’m going out for a run mom, I’ll be back in awhile,” and he quickly walked out the rear sliding glass door.

Chapter End Notes:

After almost a half a pack of cigarettes and lots of soda breaks its up! Let me know what'cha think!!



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story